Progress...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Shells

Progress...

Post by Shells » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:39 am

Hi. I’ve been quietly no ‘s’ ing for 2 months now after getting a little shock when my weight slipped into the overweight category. Not good when you have a medical condition affected by your weight.
The exciting part is that Ive saved money (no point in visiting the snack aisle), I can wait longer for my next meal, and the first sign of hunger is not an emergency.
Gutted though as hopped on the scales yesterday and they haven’t moved! I have stuck to the no snacks 7 days a week for two months, no seconds and only occasionally had a small dessert. My portion sizes haven’t changed either. Does the weight eventually come off or has my body now adapted to fewer calories? Would love to hear about other people’s experiences.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:48 pm

I've just checked my diary, my weight was a little up and down in that period but at the 2 month mark pretty much back where I started. It was after that it slowly started dropping. I probably started a little more walking at that point.

It has been slow but whilst up and down all along the overall trend has been down and stable. Since end of March 12lbs off

Don't panic, keep going

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Shells

Post by Shells » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:50 am

Thanks for the encouragement. So hard to not give up. Have worked hard to give up snacks, something I didn’t think I’d ever be able to do:-)
Lots of walking isn’t an option for me but let’s hope the other changes begin to make a difference soon:-)
Congrats on the 12lb btw. That’s awesome!

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:53 pm

Thanks, if things don't start to move, when you feel ready examine what's on your plate with a view to reviewing portion size or meal composition.

Remember this isn't a diet but finding a way of eating that allows you to lose weight without feeling deprived. It can be slow but it's how you will be eating for the rest of your life if you don't want to regain.

I was happy at first nto have stopped gaining

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:53 am

Hi Shells, congrats on maintaining your weight for 2 whole months. I also have checked my diary, and it was about that long before I could honestly say I weighed less than when I started.

The 3 meal a day habit is a wonderful base line from which to make small changes in what you are eating. If you persist, the weight will come off, especially if you add a bit of exercise.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

Shells

Post by Shells » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:18 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. I shall keep persevering.
I guess I just felt there should have been some reward for all the bad habits I gave up (think endless snacking and family size bags of potato chips) and all of the times I had to go for a walk, vacuum, anything to make the time pass until it was dinner time but my body didn’t get that memo:-)
It has become easier though and it might be time to adjust further soon which will hopefully show up on the scales sooner or later.
Thanks again for the encouragement.

Shells

Post by Shells » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:54 am

I know it's not all about the scales (the sanity around food is wonderful!)... but was super excited this morning. I have lost weight and am bordering on a 'normal' BMI!

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:00 am

Excellent, so pleased for you

Jx

Shells

The scales

Post by Shells » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:23 am

I probably need to start a new thread over in the daily.....just wanted to say hi though.

This week has been tougher. The scales have been up since last week and I am back in the overweight category:-( I was hoping to keep my new weight and maybe even lose some more. Alas, I was ill last week and now that I'm eating normally my weight has gone up a little again.

Wish there was an emoticon in here for a cat desperately hanging on which is how I feel this week. Am stuck on the scales go up, mood goes down treadmill... Heading out for a walk now so I can avoid the fridge...

Soprano

Re: The scales

Post by Soprano » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:02 am

Shells wrote:I probably need to start a new thread over in the daily.....just wanted to say hi though.

This week has been tougher. The scales have been up since last week and I am back in the overweight category:-( I was hoping to keep my new weight and maybe even lose some more. Alas, I was ill last week and now that I'm eating normally my weight has gone up a little again.

Wish there was an emoticon in here for a cat desperately hanging on which is how I feel this week. Am stuck on the scales go up, mood goes down treadmill... Heading out for a walk now so I can avoid the fridge...
Please don't let the scales going up derail you. Mine are up and down all the time and were worse in the beginning, however every month or so I hit a new low and over time have lost 13lbs. Just keep believing and doing the right thing.

Jx

Shells

Post by Shells » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:10 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Soprano. I can’t imagine what i’d Do instead anyway.
I tried sugar free earlier in the year and must be one of the few people who put on weight with it (convinced myself that those high fat sugar free snacks were also calorie free!) :D
Will keep persevering. Thanks again for the encouragement. Yesterday was just a little tired and stressed:-)

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:55 pm

We all have days like that :)

Glad you are feeling better

Jx

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:58 pm

I do encourage you to start a thread. Let everyone know so that we can follow you.

I don't know what to say about the lack of loss of weight. It just doesn't make sense unless your meals were pretty substantial to start and it turns out you weren't taking in as much in your S's. I didn't get into this for loss, but over the years I have lost quite a bit, ten pounds in the first couple of months, though I had put on most of my weight as an adult. But I also didn't have any condition, as far as I knew, that was affected by my overweight. Who knows what was happening to my brain on the sweets (and still might be). And I eat a lot less overall when I'm maintaining the lowered weight. (Some kookiness and gain in the last few months. I don't think I'm going way back up, though.)

I suggest giving it another month. Then you might have to get more aggressive, if loss is really important. The sanity of the lifestyle was always the draw for me, but it shouldn't trump a true health need.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Shells

Post by Shells » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:32 am

Thanks. I have had two ‘dah’ moments since then. I’ve realised clothes and breakfast make a big difference but I also have a medical condition which I suspect is affecting the scales. Am pleased to report I have lost weight!

Shells

Post by Shells » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:13 am

I haven’t hit any of the milestones yet but just wanted to share that this morning I was the lightest I’ve ever been in memory. So exciting as no s just feels like habit now.
I do no snacks and seconds every day but do allow a piece of cake if I want it as part of my lunch if I want it and two squares of chocolate after dinner. Not part of the no s rules I know but it works for me.
Thanks everyone for encouraging me to keep up with this journey.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:38 pm

Well done, I'm a strong believer if it works for you carry on :)

Jx

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:25 am

If the mods work for you and are systematic, go for it.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)