New to No S Diet

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Lefsehead

New to No S Diet

Post by Lefsehead » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:33 pm

I just joined today. I found out about this diet from a low carb forum - lol! I read the book and it just resonated with me. It seems so logical. Today is day one and wouldn’t you know there’s a birthday in the office today, which means cake. Geez! Hahahaha - day one might be an S day.

Shells

Post by Shells » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:57 am

Hiya. How is it going? Welcome to no 's'ing.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:28 am

Hi! I combine moderate-low-carb w/NoS and I'm happy as a clam this way. My thread:
https://everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopi ... start=1700
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

LadyJustice

Post by LadyJustice » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:32 pm

Hi! I'm a week and a day into No-S. For me, it means "No $#!+". I stay at home with my kids and cook fairly nutritious meals, yet last year's jeans didn't fit me anymore and I couldn't figure out why. Then I googled "weight loss no gimmicks" and came across this. No
Sweets.
Seconds.
Sugar.
This just spoke to me. Upon reflection, I realized that I snack ALL DAY LONG, esp. sweet snacks because that's what the kids like. Today is Halloween and I'm DYING to open a mini Butterfinger which inevitably turns into a mini Skittles and so on and so forth. Good to know there are other beginners out there.

Shells

Post by Shells » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:31 am

Well done Lady Justice. Two months in here. It does get easier:-)

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:27 am

I’ve just come back to this so I’m not a newbie in that I know it works really well for me but I am in terms of having to get back into the habits from a similar permasnacking habit - I have a toddler and a baby and am home too so feel your pain. I find it really hard not to eat the leftovers of my toddler at snack time but alas, it isn’t worth it. So good luck to us eh? 😉
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

Angel1

Post by Angel1 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:20 am

Hi, I just joined. I am anxious to read more posts by everyone. I really need inspiration, because I am feeling like a total failure right now. Need to lose about 60 pounds just to get to a 25 BMI. It really seems impossible, but I am hoping to find some encouragement here.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:17 am

Welcome Angel1. There is plenty of useful advice in the posts of the long term No Ss. Have you read the book? Reinhard posts and podcasts are very useful.
Tip of the day - start with something you think you can succeed at, no matter how small, to help get rid of that failure feeling.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

vmsurbat

Post by vmsurbat » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:25 pm

Angel1 wrote:Hi, I just joined. I am anxious to read more posts by everyone. I really need inspiration, because I am feeling like a total failure right now. Need to lose about 60 pounds just to get to a 25 BMI. It really seems impossible, but I am hoping to find some encouragement here.
I suggest you pop into the sticky at the top entitled something like: NoS All Time Top Discussions. In there, you'll see a link to NoS Catch Phrase Glossary which is chock full of helpful insights as fellow NoSers share their best mental strategies for following NoS and overcoming pitfalls.

I also highly recommend you read through the NoS Testimony board. You'll be able to read the stories of dozens of people, who despite their various struggles, enjoy NoS success. Very inspiring!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:10 pm

Angel1 wrote:Hi, I just joined. I am anxious to read more posts by everyone. I really need inspiration, because I am feeling like a total failure right now. Need to lose about 60 pounds just to get to a 25 BMI. It really seems impossible, but I am hoping to find some encouragement here.
7 months ago when I started this I decided I would be happy if in a year I had lost a stone and knew it wouldn't come back. I'm 13lbs down and am convinced it won't be back.

Take it one day at a time, you'll get there

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

LadyJustice

Post by LadyJustice » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:15 pm

Welcome Angel1! Best of luck to you. Halloween was VERY hard for me, as I love candy and (stupidly) bought only candy that I like, and of course we have leftovers. I caved on halloween but I've been going strong this week. I find that, when I get peckish, esp during the afternoon (LIKE RIGHTNOW :shock: ) I try to drink water, because I have heard that sometimes your body being thirsty can be interpreted as it being hungry, so that's where I start. I find this to be the most difficult time of any day.
On a side note - any ladies out there tried the shovelglove yet? Just curious what your experience has been. I've been Urban Range-ing all week since I finally got a decent jogging stroller.

jenji

Post by jenji » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:48 pm

LadyJustice wrote:Welcome Angel1! Best of luck to you. Halloween was VERY hard for me, as I love candy and (stupidly) bought only candy that I like, and of course we have leftovers. I caved on halloween but I've been going strong this week. I find that, when I get peckish, esp during the afternoon (LIKE RIGHTNOW :shock: ) I try to drink water, because I have heard that sometimes your body being thirsty can be interpreted as it being hungry, so that's where I start. I find this to be the most difficult time of any day.
On a side note - any ladies out there tried the shovelglove yet? Just curious what your experience has been. I've been Urban Range-ing all week since I finally got a decent jogging stroller.
I tried the shovel glove but have not kept up with it. I do walk a lot and run some. I do a couple of road races each year, which motivate me.

I just finished my first year. I lost 17 pounds. It was slow. But very sustainable. I am really busy at certain times of the year, so I need something that can be automatic. Good luck!!
I'm a 53-year-old mom and non-profit CEO
I am 5' 7.5"
Began No S at 184#, BMI 28.4 - 9/25/2017
Current weight: 181#, BMI 27.9, 12/19/2022

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:10 pm

Hi, newbies. I suggest you not think in terms of weight you have to lose, but overeating you have to lose- as enjoyably as possible. There's no knowing how it will be for any one person over the course of six months or a year. You can't really tell too much before then because early success and failure alike can go through different cycles later.

If you have to lose for a health condition, you may have to be more careful sooner about what and how much in on your plate than others. I say that because I think it is a very different category to come when you have a health problem or are on the verge of one. But when you really accept that, there's a lot less resentment. You're getting even more for your sacrifices.

Here's going into our last week before the holiday food onslaughts ahead. :shock:
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:20 pm

"Weight loss gimmicks" That is funny.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:21 pm

LadyJustice wrote:Welcome Angel1! Best of luck to you. Halloween was VERY hard for me, as I love candy and (stupidly) bought only candy that I like, and of course we have leftovers. I caved on halloween but I've been going strong this week. I find that, when I get peckish, esp during the afternoon (LIKE RIGHTNOW :shock: ) I try to drink water, because I have heard that sometimes your body being thirsty can be interpreted as it being hungry, so that's where I start. I find this to be the most difficult time of any day.
I love Nut Rolls and a Coke.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79