I am not sure if I am posting in the right spot. Newbie

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mrswillie

I am not sure if I am posting in the right spot. Newbie

Post by Mrswillie » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:25 pm

Hello,

I am new to this board. I am 53, female, and 30 pounds overweight. I am hypothyroid (Hashimotos) and I am medicated for that. In the last 18 years I have lost 40 pounds twice and put it all back on each time. The first time was calorie counting and exercise. The second time was Weight Watchers. I tried low carb for a time and lost 10 pounds. I realized that low carb is not possible for me. I can not stick to it. I had maintained my overweight status without gaining much for quite some time. Until 2 1/2 years ago when I had to have my achilles tendon repaired and my foot completely reconstructed. It took me two years to be able to walk unaided. The first 7 months I could not walk at all. Needless to say, I put on weight. I need to do something, but I just can not face counting points or calories again and I am not going to pretend that I am going to give up carbs. My search of diet plans lead me to no S. The plan sounds reasonable and I am willing to give it a shot. I have been trying to train myself to the 3 meals a day. I am worrying about getting that habit in place before I worry so much about limiting what is on my plate. I am having the most trouble in the morning. I eat cereal, usually raisin bran or shredded wheat, at 7:00. I have been sticking to just that one cereal bowl. I am starving and getting a headache by 9:30-10:00 am. I am then struggling until my lunch hour at 12:15. Needless to say I am wolfing down my lunch. With tylenol and lunch my headache ususally subsides. I am doing ok with lunch and dinner. Keep in mind that I am currently eating anything I want on these plates as long as I follow no sweets, no seconds. So these meals feel much more substantial right now. Any hints as to what meals might help me have a better morning but do not require a ton of cooking before work? Also exercise... Did you all start exercising right away? I hate exercising, and I am limited with my foot issues, but I know I can and should add walking in. I live in the midwest so it will be something done inside because the calendar may say fall,but it is winter here in my opinion. Any words of advice or suggestions you can give me to help with this transition would be appreciated. Thank you!

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:22 pm

Welcome MrsWillie, you are in the right place if you want support for learning to eat 3 times per day.

As far as breakfast goes, I suggest enough protein, fat (as well as carbs) and food in general if you are starving by mid morning. Eggs are quick, and a lot of people find a bit of peanut butter helps keep them going. Sometimes I eat last nights leftovers. Just as long as you eat enough to make maintaining a 3 meal a day habit relatively easy.

One of our posters has another No S - no starving, which sounds like a good idea to me.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

TexArk

Post by TexArk » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:15 pm

Welcome to NoS. It is a wonderful plan and the board is comprised of many ex Weight Watchers who are tired of trying to lose or maintain by counting and counting and counting.

I agree with ladybird. You need to be eating more fat and protein to be able to make it to lunch. You can keep boiled eggs in the refrigerator if you don't want to prepare anything each morning. Add a little good fat and you are good to go!
I usually have spinach, but since you want the carbs have a piece of toast. I don't think I could last very long on just cereal!
24.7 bmi Feb. 2019
26.1 bmi Sept. 2018
31.4 bmi July 2017

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:16 am

Welcome, you've adopted a good approach re getting the three meal habit established. As said above more protein at breakfast might help. I like to have porridge and have been known to throw egg in it..

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Mrswillie

Post by Mrswillie » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:34 am

Thank you for the suggestions! You all seem to agree on more protein so I will add that tomorrow. I very much like the idea of just boiling some eggs to grab in the morning. I will start with that. Thank you for the ideas!

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:15 pm

Welcome! You’ve gotten good advice. I just wanted to add that you might want to start a thread in the daily check in section for ongoing support. Some of us have been posting there for years and find it’s a great little community.

Best of luck on your journey!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:53 pm

Mrswillie wrote:Thank you for the suggestions! You all seem to agree on more protein so I will add that tomorrow. I very much like the idea of just boiling some eggs to grab in the morning. I will start with that. Thank you for the ideas!
Late in welcoming you, but I agree on more protein to make your meals more satsifying. If you like eggs for breakfast, try omelots with added cheese or diced ham to up the protein. Also don't be afraid of good fats too. If you eat meat, don't go for the leanest cuts, plus using some virgin olive oil on salads, and even using it for cooking. Or adding some nuts into your meals, if you like nuts, lots of good fats and protein in nuts.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:17 pm

Don't know why I'm adding anything because the message is pretty much the same. I know protein gets a lot of attention for satiety, but I find the fat makes the difference.

You'll find your mix. In the mean time, you might err on the side of too much food at breakfast just to get the habit down. You don't want to be dreading your mornings! Later you can adjust to get to some nice hunger before the next meal.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)