Ari's Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Losingthediets

Ari's Check-In

Post by Losingthediets » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:18 pm

Hi guys. Just made my account yesterday!

I'm ashamed to say, I'm 313.8 lbs, as of Friday morning. This is after lots of gaining and losing. I'll be 21 in July and I've been gaining and losing weight via diets at various levels of difficulty (and safety) since I hit 270 lbs at 13 years old. My low is 210. Though my current weight at 314 is lower than my high of 320 lbs, it is not low for my recent weight fluctuations and efforts.

I just spent a week trying to re-nourish myself to help my hunger cues, by the rules of http://www.eatlikeanormalperson.com/
Don't get me wrong, it's helped a lot, and I love this web site; the issue is I overthink everything too much to follow it on it's own. The web site mentioned the No S diet and people's successes with it, and I thought well, these seem to really align with each other. So I'm hoping to use No S for a better round of portion sizing, and continue to use that web site I linked in to help me wrap my head on what foods can make filling mostly nourishing meals without being just a plate of greens and tears.

I hope to become an active user of this web-site, and a year from now be approaching college graduation with a good chunk of weight loss (though obviously not all of it) and a testimonial to contribute to your stories!
Last edited by Losingthediets on Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:38 pm

Congratulations on your expected graduation next year. Take NoS as a long term project and not a quick loss solution. A lot of more knowledgeable people on here will give you great advice. It's more like a marathon and not a sprint. Welcome.
https://twitter.com/SipeEngineering
Current weight(9/2020)-212 lbs.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.
NoS Goal: >= 80% Success days

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:04 pm

Hi, thanks for the welcome! :)

noni

Post by noni » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:41 pm

No S is a sane and normal way to eat forever. I wish you well on it!
"Never go back for seconds. Get it all the first time." - Garfield

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:49 am

Thank you! I'm looking forward to Monday if only to start this properly.

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:07 am

Obviously today was an S Day. Finishing it off with a candy bar and a soda.

Before someone comments on that, I'd like to also say that on S Days in the future I intend to allow just the three S-es. Snacks (fruit, as outlined as a good snack in the eatlikeanormalperson think I found), sweets (maybe some sugary drinks with my meals, a couple of servings of any sweets I've had offered to me throughout the week, or go out of my way to get a dessert at the end of an S Day should nothing have come up throughout it, if I want it and can afford it), and seconds (not thirds and fourths, as I have been guilty of eating in the past- SECONDS. A second plate. That's it.)

These restrictions in use of the S days may wiggle a bit due to social circumstance on a particular S day, or if I have a NWS day it'll probably be special enough to be lax on all the rules, so I'm not going to limit myself on say my 21st birthday or that stretch of week between Christmas and New Year where my family's constantly celebrating, but I'll do my best not to make myself sick either.

You might say, if you really often take 3rds and 4ths, it's no wonder you're fat! And yeah, nowadays, with lots of mental health issues and a shaky BED suggestion from my counselor, that's probably behind the extreme gain, but when I was 270 lbs at 12 years old there was never enough for more than seconds, and I rarely wanted it. There was just big portions, lots of soda, and lots of sweets. When I first lost to 210 lbs, I think I was unconsciously following many of the principles of No S- Sweets were the only thing off the table throughout the week, with a cheat allowed on Saturday, and I had really small portions throughout the week. My main issue was I wasn't looking at plate sizes or volume amounts, I was counting calories- and since I hadn't researched the area very deeply, I was often undereating by that method. So I plateaued, I ballooned up, and despite many continued efforts to lose it I've never once felt like I've eaten normally. It's what attracted me to the eatlikeanormalperson web site, and it's what attracts me to the system of moderation inherent in the No S Diet. I hope this works out well for me. It doesn't have to work quickly, I'd just like to see it working.
I might wait 2 weeks for my first weigh in after that really bad couple of S days, but I will try to update on my weight on Saturdays usually.

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:57 pm

Welcome!

Looking forward to hearing about your first days!

My first few days, I focused more on no snacks and no sweets and gave myself a little room with seconds, because I was worried about making it between meals. And sure enough, 10 am and 4 pm were really hard, because I was used to eating at those times and my body did the hormonal dance preparing for food that never arrived, and man was it confused and upset! What? Where's my SNACK????

I use juice with seltzer, coffee with cream and sugar, or hot cocoa made with whole milk to get me through those times. It has gotten much easier though it can still be a little hairy depending. I didn't lose anything much for about two weeks and then four or five pounds came off in the next couple of weeks.

Look forward to hearing about how it goes for you!

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:26 pm

Thank you for the support! :D

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:07 pm

Monday SUCCESS

B- Turkey sausage, egg, and cheese bagel sandwich and coffee

L- Poptarts

D- Subway and orange juice

I think the subway may have gone over what would really fit comfortably on a plate- next time I'll get less- but I don't think that's enough of a detail to mark today as a failure. Just a note for future uses of Subway.

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:51 am

Maybe I should cut juice in the future as well? I just realized juice might count as a sweets S.

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:24 pm

In the same frame as juices, should chocolate milk/whole milk be counted as an S?

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:57 pm

Im going to go ahead and count all drinks that arent black coffee, water, or tea as S-es

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:15 pm

Tuesday SUCCESS

B-Bagel and chocolate milk (before I decided the milk would count as an S)

L- Poptarts and tea(I swear I dont do poptarts EVERY DAY I just happened to get cornered by my colleges christian organization and given free poptarts the past couple of days)

D- Sweet and sour chicken with fruit mixed in the sauce, lo mein noodles, and cauliflower.

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:03 pm

Losingthediets wrote:Maybe I should cut juice in the future as well? I just realized juice might count as a sweets S.
I don't count orange juice with breakfast as an S, it's usually in the 5-6 ounce size. No added sugar. If people can eat a grapefruit with sugar added, I don't see the problem with fresh natural juices with a meal. If I'm honest with my eSSes of the past, fruit has never been the culprit.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:24 am

Whosonfirst wrote: I don't count orange juice with breakfast as an S, it's usually in the 5-6 ounce size. No added sugar. If people can eat a grapefruit with sugar added, I don't see the problem with fresh natural juices with a meal. If I'm honest with my eSSes of the past, fruit has never been the culprit.
That's good to know! I might take a glass of juice with breakfast here and there then. My only issue is worrying personally I'll take "juice isn't an S" to an extreme and be like "THAT'S ALL I CAN HAVE SO I'LL HAVE A TON OF IT." But a single glass with a meal makes sense, and I think would be sustainable since I didn't drink much juice before this.

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:49 pm

Hate to say it, but I already have my first

FAILURE

My hunger pains and headache-y symptoms of doing this so fast (which I didn't really expect because I didn't realize it WOULD be such a difference, I usually only get these symptoms on diets I super restrict myself on), plus class stress, then going to the financial aid office and getting my brain fried- let's just say I came into the office this afternoon, and our ads saleswoman had Easter eggs EVERYWHERE filled with actual candy to hunt and treat ourselves with. I immediately cracked and started to play, gathering a handful of bite-sized candies and Snacking my way through Sweets to relieve my headache, instead of storing them in my backpack for the weekend like I said I would.

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:57 pm

It also just really kinda sucks because I had a bunch of other opportunities to break throughout today, free donuts offered after breakfast, classmates bringing food to class they offered because they decided they no longer wanted it- and a bunch of tiny bite-size candies broke me.

Larkspur

Post by Larkspur » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:25 pm

You're learning, right? Not broken. Learning new things takes time and in this case, you have to persuade your body you can feel good on a different eating schedule. It's a perfectly reasonable, viable schedule, but your body may not see it that way at the beginning. I know mine didn't.

I am the mom of a college age daughter, and I have to admit that, mom like, I'm worried that you are not making enough space for nice meals that are social and tasty. We NoSers have only three meals, so those meals have to be satisfying, or I don't think this works so well. What do you think?

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:25 pm

Really dinner is the only meal I can make extra space for and meet friends for. I appreciate the concern and I agree, but its just not gonna happen the way my schedule is, and when I go home, its unlikely to because of our finances and my parents eating schedules. I will keep that in mind so that I jump on the chance whenever I can, however- I will admit that I'm introverted and I get really uncomfortable being seen in general at my weight, much less being seen eating, so there probably is some level I could improve on that social aspect. I tend to forget that part.

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:28 pm

Ive also done pretty bad the rest of the week since, which is why I havent been around. Hoping to recover on Monday

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:04 pm

Sounds like you're having a rough time. I'm sorry.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:47 pm

Thank you. Im just ashamed my weights gotten as far as it is. I wish I could hide somewhere for a few months and focus on nothing but changing habits and losing the weight, but of course thats not how life works. Hopefully summer vacation will serve as the closest thing I can muster, but of course Monday Im making my renewed effort to get started, not waiting for summer vacation

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:29 pm

While a weight problem can be quite a visible thing, I am going to say here and now, that there are plenty of things one can do that DON'T show that would be significantly more deserving of shame than overeating.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:25 am

Hi, I just wanted to stop by and offer my support. You CAN do this, and we're all here and understand how much you want to succeed and we're willing you on. I hope you stick around and continue posting.

There's a really great thread, in the 'sticky of stickies' I think it's called over on the general discussion board. I highly recommend reading it, it's called something like motivational phrases or catch phrases and it's awesome.

For my tuppence-worth (or two cents worth depending on which side of the Atlantic you're on) I would remind you that weight is not a moral issue and your weight problem does not make you a lesser person. Hold your head up high when you go out in the world because, yes, your weight is an issue but you know that you are taking steps to deal with it. That makes you strong, not weak
I CAN do this.

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:35 pm

Thanks you guys! It's nice to have people acknowledge my feelings on that kind of thing. It helps a lot to feel not alone or stupid.

Today is a SUCCESS but I think with a bit too much calorie-filled tea (I had some form of it with every meal)

B- a blueberry muffin
L- a mozarella and tomato sandwich
D- chicken fingers and curly fries

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:40 am

I messed up. I was doing great but my boss left a bag of jelly beans open on the desk facing me and I broke. At least it didnt result in a full binge like last time. I ate too many but I still feel icky for last week.

I was thinking of a 3 bite mod- for things others share with me. Like if I can take 3 bites or less and stop I can accept an offer

Skycat

Post by Skycat » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:10 am

Well done on not having a binge either on or following the jellybeans. There's a great line, possibly coined by Reinhard which goes something like this.
If you dented your bumper, you wouldn't go ahead and crash the car into a wall'
You dented the bumper but avoided crashing the car, that's great.

My suggestion would be to try to stick with vanilla No S. You might have some failures, like with the jelly beans but if you do then

Mark it and move on.

Come on here, 'fess up, tell us all about it and then put it behind you and try again next time. With practice you might surprise yourself with how often you can turn down shared treats, but with the mod you will automatically have those 3 bites every time, you're denying yourself the opportunity to practice saying no and get better at it.

I recommend looking at the phases of No S thread in the sticky of stickies, you'll see how actually you're doing fine, we've all been there.
I CAN do this.

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:05 pm

Thank you! I am going to stick with Vanilla No S. It'll be hard but youre right, I have to learn to say no. Thank you for the encouragement (and the understanding on the jelly beans haha).

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:01 am

Hey, surprisingly I actually returned!

I've graduated from University and am in a much different place mentally. I think I'm much readier to long-term commit to something like this now.

Unfortunately, with this new start, know that I haven't been on here since April 18 2017, and am even heavier than my starting weight from before.

This time I'm:
-Strictly Vanilla No S-ing it
-Keeping up a Tumblr for it
-But my starting weight is actually 350.8. ;.;

Long journey ahead of me. This time I'm trying to say goodbye to all the unhealthy diets (starving/binging) that I followed hoping to make this quicker for a decade of my life.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:29 am

Welcome back, Losing the Diets. Congrats on your degree.

I have just finished reading your thread. I hope this time that you focus on changing your eating habits. Weight loss will follow if you are consistent and persistent. Having a look at your self talk may help in difficult food situations, as does rehearsing how you would like to act in advance. I have found this very effective in dealing with difficult situations, although in a different context.

Consistency, persistence and focusing on permanent changes to your eating habits rather than weight loss will see you through. All the best.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:25 am

Yup, focusing on consistency with Vanilla No S from the start is my goal this time. n.n Not setting weight goals and only weighing once a month. I really want to focus on feeling better and being healthier this time, rather than letting the number on the scale control me and push up my anxiety.

As y'all say, follow No S correctly and the weight should come off. Making it center stage is going to make me rush and freak myself out and binge.

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:57 am

Day 2:

Food content hasn't been great, but hasn't been sweets, and has stayed within the rules of No S!

I noticed one issue with talking down to myself about my weight that's gonna be difficult to overcome with slow-pace weight loss today- I noticed my brain jumps on the chance to be hard on myself for my weight when I do something normal, and something goes wrong/breaks/doesn't work right because of my weight. For example, when I get in my car, my left leg kinda falls off the side of the seat, attempting to sit as I naturally would. Often I trigger my chair to bend all the way back and I can't tell I'm the one doing it until I find the trigger with my hands. Or, oftentimes, I'll get in at what I think is a natural pace and force and my chair will make a cracking sound, and I've recently found my chair to be less responsive to my messing with the side buttons in the first place for that reason. So basically I'm breaking the driver's side seat in my car and it's obviously because of my size.

It's incredibly embarrassing and whereas a part of me knows all the anxiety and worry about how I look is a bit superficial and not worth dwelling on, my brain takes things like these (and people having a hard time getting around me in narrow paths, not being able to fit enough people in x space, crowded backseats that should easily fit three people, new clothes as gifts that are the size I was recently that don't fit) and is absolutely horrible to me about these. These kind of things can be big triggers for me to convince myself losing the weight fast comes before losing it healthily, and actually makes it easier for me to feel valid in trashing myself about how I look. And I'll crash diet and binge. Or sometimes I'll get depressed and anxious and I'll say "I'm ignoring it, not gonna start a useless diet this time" and binge anyway. It's a sad cycle.

Anyway my point is, if I'm gonna try to improve my relationship with my body as I go like I intended to, I feel like I need to deal with this self-bashing, even when these things go wrong that are clearly related to my weight. Cause obviously, I'm still gonna be big for a while.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:44 am

Heartbreaking to read how your self talk is sabotaging your efforts. But you already know fast plans don't work long term.

Hope we can support you on your journey and here's to a lighter freer 2019 for you

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:21 am

Awww thank you <3

Day 3: Feeling really good at the end of each meal, which is nice!

Question- do y'all count Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve as NWS days if they fall inside the week?

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:35 am

Christmas and New Years Eve are just normal N days for me if they occur on weekdays.

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:42 am

See I know in the future I won't totally be able to use Christmas Eve as one because family has Christmas Eve Dinner/Celebration on Christmas Eve, but
I know taking the whole "if it'd get you out of work in an office job it's an S Day" Christmas Eve wouldn't count. In which case I guess I could reduce it to an S event? (Treat is as an N day until I arrive at family gathering and cease S Day treats after I leave)

More relatives sometimes like to be around for New Year's and would save the celebration for the night before but this year they'll be doing it over the weekend. My brain sees both of these Eves as valid holidays because that's how my family has always celebrated them but I don't think 4 days of S days for next week is really appropriate in this scenario.

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:44 am

Thank you for your answer though! I will probably treat it as an N day this time as well.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:27 am

Starting nos at Christmas isn't the easiest time but you seem to have come up with a sensible approach.

Remember it isn't a diet, more a way of life so it has to work for all occasions. It's possible to enjoy celebrations without feeling stuffed or deprived. Enjoy your family time :)

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Whosonfirst

Post by Whosonfirst » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:21 pm

Welcome back, and congrats on your graduation. No small feat. Don't beat yourself up over trying to make special holidays like Christmas as an N day, but that call is yours. Try to find a small physical daily activity like shovelglove, yoga or walking that is sustainable. There's something a little magical about a regular activity that cranks up our metabolism. Hoping to see you posting regularly. Happy New Year.
Goal Weight- 205 lbs.

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:06 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome you guys! I didn’t feel like posting over the weekend, being S Days and busy evenings independent of that. I came to kind of an in-between- New Years Eve itself isn’t an N Day but the last 6 hours of the day (New Years Eve Evening) are a part of New Years Celebration so, my N Day ends at 6. (Ie; this stops me from pigging out on Starbucks and snacks throughout the day, but allows me to have a treat for New Years Night.)

The day so far has gone well- I brought my tuna and crackers I’d bought a bunch of to stand for my lunches, had my eggs for breakfast, and have otherwise been downing diet soda. I do think I’ll have to give up diet soda pretty soon, but want to at least hit the 21 club, and be more adjusted at my new job first

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:33 am

Keep up the good work.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:53 pm

Nice! Diet soda can definitely have a place in our lives as needed. :-)
21 day club here you come!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:48 am

Day 8
Eating dinner between typing- beef stew and a piece of cornbread.
n.n Really wasn't feeling well today. Instead of taking a real break from No S, as the child that is my brain was telling me to, I got Subway for lunch instead of the little package of tuna and crackers I stocked up on to have for lunches- that way I could make sure my lunch was filling so I'd be in a decent mood to return to the office, rather than gorging on sweets and making myself worse like I wanted to. The piece of cornbread wasn't exactly "on my plate" because I didn't grab a plate, I grabbed a bowl. I still count it as compliant, and I don't think it breaks the rules by anyone standards so bad I'd be kicked off the forum hehe. n.n

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:27 am

Your lunch strategy sounds like a win to me.

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:52 pm

It’s totally fine to do a little virtual plating for things like that and if I haven’t been kicked off yet, you certainly won’t be!

Hope you feel better soon!
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:06 am

Thank you Ladybird! n.n

Ipearlmom- By virtual plating do you mean approximating the amount, or actually using some kind of virtual plate app? :o

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:03 am

Happy S Days everyone! Having potatoes and ham for dinner with my Nana n.n

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:13 am

We mean eyeballing it for virtual plating -- approximate. That's why it's not a good thing to do on a regular basis; we humans are masters of self-deception. :-)

Sounds like a yummy dinner -- happy S Days to you too.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:37 am

Welcome back! I don't know how I missed your thread the first time. (I started in fall of 2008 with short success and long failure until December of 2009. Been pretty steady since then. Still kind of addicted to the boards.)

You don't need to defend your eating choices and you are just getting going again. It is very likely what and how much are on your plates will be different in a year. This isn't like some 12-week plan where it's all set out. You are learning! You don't have to be planning now what you need to give up.

The holidays are over, so no more having to deal with them. But remember what we can choose two extra days a month for S's. (Called NWS days) You'll see that you can almost always keep to that. NYE was definitely a NWS day for me. And even if you fail one or two extra days in December, in the grand scheme of things- and the possibility of a LOT more overeating than that-, that would still be doing pretty darn good.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:51 pm

oolala53 wrote:Welcome back! I don't know how I missed your thread the first time. (I started in fall of 2008 with short success and long failure until December of 2009. Been pretty steady since then. Still kind of addicted to the boards.)

You don't need to defend your eating choices and you are just getting going again. It is very likely what and how much are on your plates will be different in a year. This isn't like some 12-week plan where it's all set out. You are learning! You don't have to be planning now what you need to give up.

The holidays are over, so no more having to deal with them. But remember what we can choose two extra days a month for S's. (Called NWS days) You'll see that you can almost always keep to that. NYE was definitely a NWS day for me. And even if you fail one or two extra days in December, in the grand scheme of things- and the possibility of a LOT more overeating than that-, that would still be doing pretty darn good.
I didn't realize most people stuck to two NWS days a month! That will be a good frame of reference for the future though.

Thank you for the support and understanding, too! Everyone on these boards is so helpful so I see why you'd hang around, consistent or not.

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:36 pm

Thinking about including Coke Zero in my S-es because I'm so anxious all the time I can't like, function.
But I'm afraid of the side effects making me useless at work, where I'm already new and struggling

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:11 am

I am sorry you are feeling so anxious. Please be easy on yourself. No S shouldn't be a strain, so just do the parts you think you can without making yourself feel worse. Remember, something is better than nothing, and small amounts of progress are still worth having. All the best with your new job.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:44 pm

So you are Ari's Check-in but your username is Losingthediets, yes? Sometimes I get mixed up and I'm not sure whose thread I'm commenting on, lol.

So are you saying that the diet coke is amping you up at work too much? Maybe you could switch to Sprite Zero? :-)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:06 am

automatedeating wrote:So you are Ari's Check-in but your username is Losingthediets, yes? Sometimes I get mixed up and I'm not sure whose thread I'm commenting on, lol.

So are you saying that the diet coke is amping you up at work too much? Maybe you could switch to Sprite Zero? :-)
Yes, I'm Ari! sorry it was confusing of me to make that screenname, I was just trying to be clever when I made it way back when I guess lol.

Honestly I'm just kinda dependent on Coke Zero and I know no matter when I get off of it, it's going to make me grouchy and give me withdrawals. And now is not a swell time for me to deal with withdrawals, considering I'm at a completely new job and three weeks in I'm still struggling with basically everything- my anxiety is getting in the way of me performing well with customers, and that's most of the job. Switching to a caffeineless alternative wont stop my brain from recognizing I'm caffeine less and demanding caffeine, yknow.

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:22 am

Also I'm finally counting today as a failure, and starting my count fresh tomorrow. Weighing in tomorrow and everything.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:08 am

Don’t worry about the Coke for now. Just get eating the plates down. Plenty of time to make beverage adjustments later.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:36 am

oolala53 wrote:Don’t worry about the Coke for now. Just get eating the plates down. Plenty of time to make beverage adjustments later.
Thank you, you're right. I'm going to try to

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:39 am

So this week was a struggle. I completely zoned on starting. Everything got very stressful very quickly come Monday, and not starting that day just kinda bled into the next. I also didn't get a fresh starting weight, which was kinda demoralizing at the time.

Anyway, those weren't supposed to be /good/ reasons to get off track, they're just the reasons it happened lol. What I think matters is I'm back, and I'm going to try and power through my stress and improve from here.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:14 pm

No time like the present! You can start today. I always like starting on S Days. :lol:
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:04 am

It's okay. Do your best tomorrow to look ahead and make sure you have some plan for meals. You do NOT have to have diet meals. Often just knowing that you will have food waiting for you can boost your resistance to between-meal food cues. I don't mean you have to plan the week of meals. Just have the basics. Some entrees. some starches, some veggies. Or even some frozen foods. Of plan to get something out sometimes, if that's what you need.

I tend to cook big batches of simple foods and then assemble them and add commercial sauces or spice mixes at meal time. I can do it in about 15 minutes! And I like the foods, so I think about them and how good they'll taste if I wait. But I've also stopped for convenience foods, too.

If it seems too overwhelming, consider just getting one meal gap down. Like between lunch and dinner, or after dinner. Then build from there.

You don't have to go from zero to 60!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:39 am

I am so sorry I keep falling out of doing this.
My anxiety kind of came to a boiling point
I don't know if I'd call what happened a meltdown, but I quit my job in possibly the worst way, or something rather close

I'm being forced to see just how much anxiety is controlling my life, and I need to change. I'm prioritizing getting on the road to recovery from anxiety, and though that should include food, I've been focusing on changing my caffeine intake first.

I am working my caffeine intake down over a course of two weeks, and once I've actually succeeded at that I'll consider the next step I'm taking food wise. Otherwise, I'm kind of at the mercy of what's available in the house (not much.)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:20 am

Mercy!

The ironic thing about anxiety is that it’s actually easier to navigate it when you were eating in a structured way. It doesn’t have to be really high-quality food. My own is i The ironic thing about anxiety is that it’s actually easier to navigate it when you are eating in a structured way. It doesn’t have to be really high-quality food. My experience is it’s better to have middle and quality food at regular meals than grays on good quality food all day long and night too.

But if caffeine is where you want to start, by all means, do that. Warmest wishes in finding your way.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Staff Assistant III

Post by Staff Assistant III » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:26 am

Hi Ari!

I have had anxiety my entire life and only started consciously treating it about three years ago. If you want to consider meds, I can say that Wellbutrin has been a blessing.i wish I had not waited so long ( I am 58. )

I wish you the best :)

Laura
Last edited by Staff Assistant III on Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No S start date 1/11/19

BMI Jan 19 22.7, FEb 19 22.9

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:47 pm

Just how much caffeine are you drinking? LOL, I don't mean to take it too lightly but even up to 4 cups a day is probably not that bad for you. Bringing it down from that to maybe 1 or 2 cups seems doable.

I have to do Moderation Management for my alcohol consumption -- maybe you'll have to try "moderation management for caffeine". :-)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:36 am

Hey guys! I'm going to try to start again Monday. I'm going to include my Coke Zeros as an S and move forward with that.
I thank you guys for your understanding and continued support! I'm going to count No S as another effort toward my anxiety and push that in.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:05 am

Sure! But you can regard yourself as starting this weekend. :)
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Allisonmeg

Post by Allisonmeg » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:59 am

Hey Ari! I just wanted to say hi and congrats on finishing university! As a fellow Coke junkie and anxiety prone No Ser, I do feel your pain. I really don't have much advice; just letting you know I'm listening.
In the last year, I have switched to decaf coffee and caffeine-free diet coke. It has taken a while. I was an all-day coffee drinker and I am definitely known for a non-stop diet coke in hand. I was a "what's the point" kind of decaf girl most of my life. But it really does help anxiety by cutting the caffeine back. I started with a 12 pack of Coke Zero and a pack of caffeine-free diet coke and slowly switched to all caffeine-free diet. I drink decaf coffee in the morning now too! Anyway just wanted to let you know I think I know kind of how you're feeling!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:27 pm

As Oolala pointed out, you can start THIS minute. It just happens to be an S Day! Indeed, every time I've started working on almost any habit, it's been an S Day. :-)

Re: caffeine, I've done best with time restrictions. Coffee in the morning, and decaf tea in the afternoon or evening. Diet soda I can avoid if I just don't buy it so it's not accessible in the house or at work.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

margot17

Re: Ari's Check-In

Post by margot17 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:54 pm

Hello Ari!
I am very heavy too! it was a nice surprise to find there is someone like me on the board. I can see you're a bit self-conscious about it, but no need to be. Really, love, it's allright. You're bigger than that lol, pun totally intended!

Re: caffeine, it's really a few days of withdrawal, no biggie imo. I've weaned out of coffee several times throughout my life (I'm 55) and it's never been a problem for me, it's no more than a week of discomfort! While stopping smoking, oh that was huuugely difficulty...
The most important benefit of the experience of being morbidly obese, for me, has been that it's made me incredibly strong. In these recent years since it's happened I have confronted so much physical pain, embarassment, discomfort and exhaustion that what feels challenging to others is really no big deal for me, comparingly. It's been a fantastic opportunity to get in touch with my core strength. I used to be so much weaker and afraid... and now I feel so amazingly strong, I'm a lioness! so yeah weaning out of coffee compared with going up 2 rounds of stairs is definitely no biggie, you can totally do it and not look back 8).
And it's made me way more compassionate, because there is nothing like going through some rough patch to make you notice what beauty is around you. And I can't imagine how strong and open and primed your heart must be, which such intense experiences at such a young age. So chapeau, don't you dare be ashamed of what's happening to you, as it's making you more and better!
ok nuf preaching...

Re:diet, I am more of a noob than you, but I feel you need to find a way to get smart at finding food that is at the same time satisfying to you and nourishing to the body. If you can find a few things that work for you, you can go back to them over and over, they are your go-tos. And from there you build.
Last edited by margot17 on Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:27 pm

margot17 wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:54 pm
I feel you need to find a way to get smart at finding food that is at the same time satisfying to you and nourishing to the body. If you can find a few things that work for you, you can go back to them over and over, they are your go-tos. And from there you build.
YES!!! :mrgreen:
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Losingthediets

Post by Losingthediets » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:06 am

You guyssss ;.; I'm actually really emotional reading this stuff, sympathy and nudges towards improvements alike. Thank y'all. I feel super supported! (For the fun of it, I am counting this weekend as the starting days just S days hehe.)
Excited for the first N Days of the new effort tomorrow!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:24 pm

I hope you have a marvelous week!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:28 pm

I wanted to clarify something I wrote a while back. The NWS days are optional. They’re just safety nets of some big event is in the offing where food is a major issue. Not just about looking for an excuse. The weekends can usually accommodate the SOMETIMES S eating.

This is the aspiration!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23