Bad weather

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
jsdadx2

Bad weather

Post by jsdadx2 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:29 pm

What do you do when you have bad weather ie--rain, snow? Reason I ask is that most if not all of the north east has been getting hammered lately; either by rain or by snow.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:51 am

I get wet :-)

It's not so bad, usually. Keeps it interesting.

Reinhard

Midwestern Ranger

Post by Midwestern Ranger » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:46 pm

I have a pair of ice grippers that I put on my boots that way I don't need too worry as much about falling on ice. Here's a couple of products. I use the get-a-grip, but I've heard some good stuff about the yaktrax as well.
http://www.basegear.com/gripadvanced.html
http://www.yaktrax.com/

As for the cold- a couple of layers with a ski mask, an extra pair of socks and good gloves does the job most of the time when you get moving. Half the time my jacket is unzipped when I get home because I'm getting hot

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:05 pm

Here's something that has worked well for me during this cold and snowy New England winter:

I bought myself a (relatively) inexpensive manual treadmill (the kind that folds up for storage), thinking it would be a great way to avoid going out in the cold, snow, rain, etc.

After a few 30-minute sessions on this thing (a total snooze!), I find that I am now motivated to get outside in weather that I would previously have considered "un-walkable". Ugly though the weather may be, it's not as bad as a stint on the 'mill!

Even though I've only had to do 3 days inside (too much ice, even with grippers), I still consider the treadmill a good investment, more so for its get-outside motivation than actual use. (A good umbrella and rain jacket are also good investments).