Haley's daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Robers5

Haley's daily check in

Post by Robers5 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:53 pm

Hello :D
This is day 2 for me. I am so grateful I discovered No S. I have literally tried every diet from Master Cleanse (in which you only drink spicy lemonade 3x a day for two weeks) to veganism to Keto. Moderation hasn't occurred to me until now lol. I am trying to grow in the virtue of temperance and stop all of this dieting. My hunch is that other aspects of my life will become more balanced in the process. I just had my third baby girl this April and I have about 20 lbs to lose but I want to do it with grace instead of obsession. Thanks for the support!

gingerpie

Re: Haley's daily check in

Post by gingerpie » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:14 pm

Hi, welcome and good luck to you on your adventure.

ladybird30

Post by ladybird30 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:15 am

Welcome Haley.
Three meals a day - not too little not too much, but just right

Robers5

Post by Robers5 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:59 am

Thanks Ladybird and Gingerpie:)
Today is day 3! My goal today is to keep things simple and to be the best mom I can. My older 2 kids are sick with colds and last night I slept very little. I'm praying to just be patient and to stick to No S and not let fatigue be an excuse to stress eat.
Thanks again:)

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:48 pm

Welcome, good luck.

Hope the kids are better soon

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

Candace

Post by Candace » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:45 pm

Welcome, Haley! Best of luck with No-S and especially with the sick kiddos.

I'm relatively new myself, having been around for a few months now. I'm finding No-S to be the most sane way I've ever tried to lose weight. Hey, eat three times a day, and only indulge once in a while. Who knew it could be so simple, right? Not necessarily easy, but simple. It took me several weeks to see any movement on the scale, while I figured out what I was doing and my body adjusted. So if you don't lose any weight for a while after starting, don't despair. If you only have 20 pounds to lose, you probably won't lose quickly.

I hope you find what you're looking for with No-S and on the boards. Everyone here is so supportive.
53 year old female. Height 5' 5.5". Goal: 145 lb. Stretch goal: 140 lb.
Weight 6/14/2019: 155 lb.
8/3/2019: 151 lb.
8/24/2019: 149 lb.

Robers5

Post by Robers5 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:10 pm

Hey Candace:) thanks for the tips and for saying hi.

So...yesterday was a Red day despite my preemptive strategizing. I got completely overwhelmed with my sick babies, the laundry was and still is a mile high, every room in my house is a mess:( I had a "what the heck" attitude by mid-afternoon and chugged a beer and ate my kids snack crackers like a starving zombie...not the greatest mom moment!

I realize how undisciplined I am and that I can't expect my eating habits to change over night without some discomfort and a new system of dealing with stress. I am so grateful for my children, my husband and his unconditional love and for this new day to try again. I do not want to continue to be a glutton!! Not only for weight issues but for my soul and the example I set to my sweet girls. I admit and accept that I am weak and need help and I'm excited to keep trying!

Robers5

Post by Robers5 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Thanks Soprano, my kiddos are doing much better today:)

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:01 pm

Glad the kids are better, be patient with yourself and keep trying green day's will come :)

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:26 am

Hi Haley! Welcome to the forum!

Please be gentle with yourself! I get this sense that you are really good at the grin and bear it routine of motherhood! Eek! I went crazy on an annual basis when my kids were toddlers. :-) I'm totally serious. I'd book a cheap hotel and leave town for 1 or 2 nights. Looking back, it was the smartest thing I could have done. I would order room service and not leave the room the whole visit. Bwahahaha! And to think looking back on that time I wasn't sure I was an introvert. :-)

And just as a note of encouragement, I don't think one beer and a bunch of snack crackers qualifies as being a glutton. Although I suppose it's a subjective term. :wink:

As far as being weak, willpower isn't very strong in any human for too long. That's why habit-building wins the race! Just little baby steps, and before you know it, you'll have built a new habit.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2