flyingpig checkin

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Teammoney

Re: flyingpig checkin

Post by Teammoney » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:50 am

That is so good that you are sharing with your students. That must be inspiring for them to get out and move!

We went vegan for a month before but couldn’t keep it up. We like our milk products. I wish we could though. I’m also reading through all of the very old threads on the general discussion and there are at least two successful vegans on there.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:50 pm

Wednesday

Breakfast: porridge with peanut butter, extra nuts, banana and cinnamon (had to make up for it being made with water by adding All The Things)
Lunch: black bean and bulgur wheat salad, an apple and a little orange
Dinner: tofu and veg stir fry

My students didn't ask :cry:
To be fair to them, I only actually taught for an hour today so they didn't have much time for a chat. And also I didn't jog today :oops:... But I did walk to work and back :D
Last edited by flyingpig on Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:04 pm

Thursday
Breakfast: peanut butter and banana on toast
Lunch: black bean and rice salad, an apple and a little orange
Dinner: vegan spinachy sausages, potato wedges, peas and sweetcorn

Accidentally not vegan as I had mayo with my sausages. Also there was rather too much food for dinner. But I was very grumpy so I'm glad not have dealt with that with chocolate.

Jogging fail too. Considered going swimming but work took over...
Last edited by flyingpig on Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:24 pm

Forget the fails huge win re the chocolate :)

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:04 pm

Friday
Lunch: black bean and rice salad, an apple and a little orange
Dinner: green lentil and vegetable curry with naan

Phew, green week.

Teammoney

Post by Teammoney » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:58 pm

Your food sounds so delicious and well done on the green week!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Jan 11, 2020 12:34 am

Flyingpig! You had a green week! So happy for you! I hope you have a restful weekend and a nice break from those 10 year olds. :-)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:29 pm

It's been a while since I had a green week, so glad I started the year with a green week.

Weekend has definitely been a release. I've tried to stay vegan. Yesterday (Saturday) was very close- but I did eat a looooot of bread, a packet of cashew nuts and a pack of party rings (they're biscuits, which happen to be vegan, and also only 50p a back - dangerous discovery!).

Today was not so vegan. I ate quite a lot of chocolate caramel shortbread while I was cutting it up (to be honest I had eaten some caramel on Saturday while I was making it) and then pringles and garlic bread at youth group. I didn't have any pizza though.

Let's see if next weekend can be more vegan. Although it is my birthday so maybe not...

Teammoney

Post by Teammoney » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:55 pm

Well done on the green week! The sweets are definitely the hardest to keep vegan. Especially, when you really want to enjoy them!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:13 am

Hope you have another really great week, flyingpig!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:30 pm

Monday

Lunch: black bean and quinoa salad, an orange, most of a mango
Dinner: tofu and veg stir fry

I'm glad I made the chocolate caramel shortbread now, even if it did mean eating more of it than could justifiably count as tasting to check it was OK on Sunday. It was for a church toddler group (the toddlers get fruit, the cake is for the adults) and apparently everyone really enjoyed it. One of the helpers apparently nearly cried (with happiness) when she saw it - its her favourite and she'd had a tough week. I'm all for a mostly vegan diet but there aren't many vegan foods that can inspire that kind of emotion! And I made sure I told them I didn't want any leftovers coming home so I have nothing left to tempt me. Now I've discovered it's quite easy to make, I might make it next weekend to take into work for my birthday...

In non-cake related news, jogging has been a big fail. I forgot how hard it was to get up in dark mornings and my evenings have been quite busy! Must try again...

Teammoney

Post by Teammoney » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:58 pm

Hi Flyingpig, sounds delicious.
I’ve never done it but know lots of people who have done the couch to 25k (? Not 100% that is the name but do you know what I mean?) program if you want some extra motivation.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:16 am

Thanks the recommendation. I've actually spent about ten years doing couch to 5K, I'm now eventually on the part where you just run for 25 minutes. I'm quite impressed that I can do it, but it's just not very appealing in the dark and the rain. I don't mind it when I actually make it up and out, but I'd rather stay in bed!

Teammoney

Post by Teammoney » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:46 am

Oh well done, I’m still very much on the couch part 😂. I can’t blame you with the dark and rain. Do you have the option of using a treadmill somewhere? Or run in the school gym after class?

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:57 pm

Tuesday
Breakfast: porridge with banana, peanut butter, nuts and cinnamon
Lunch: black bean and quinoa salad
Dinner: mushroom and barley soup, two bread rolls, two little oranges and a kiwi

I realised as I was writing that I hadn't eaten my fruit at lunch time, so I will eat it for dinner. Actually weirdly excited about that!

I got annoyed with my salad at lunchtime (it kept falling off my fork) but generally I'm quite enjoying the change from cheese sandwiches. It is more of a hassle to prepare, but more interesting to eat and (to my surprise) seems to keep me full as long. Even when I forget to eat the fruit.

Sadly no treadmill or school gym. I have considered running around the track at school (it's not a proper track, so it does get a Big Puddle, which is unfortunate) but the rain problem is there too. I think I'd also find it hard to keep going (psychologically) as when I run outside I know after halfway I'm running home :P

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:17 pm

Most days I really enjoy my salad lunches, no afternoon slump like with a sandwich

Jx
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:09 pm

Wednesday
Breakfast: porridge with peanut butter, banana, nuts and cinnamon
Lunch: black bean and quinoa salad, two little oranges
Dinner: chilli con carne, rice, tortilla chips, salad, chocolate cheese cake, berries

Had a dinner at church to meet candidates for our new vicar. It's all a bit of a palaver for everyone involved so I didn't want to add any stress with unnecessary dietary requirements (especially if I'm not actually that bothered about eating meat /dairy occasionally). Also we did a course per candidate (so main course with one, they moved tables, pudding with anther, they moved tables, tea /coffee with the final one - a sort of vicar speed dating :lol:) so I thought it was more sociable to join in with pudding. And it was delicious! Really enjoyed my tea with milk too. Maybe after January I won't have milk at home but I will have it in my tea at church/work/other people's houses.

Teammoney

Post by Teammoney » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:24 pm

Sounds like quite a special day to me and totally understand why you had the pudding - even better that it was delicious!

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:31 pm

Thursday

Breakfast: a banana. Snoozed the alarm clock too many times for anything else.
Lunch: tomato soup and a bread roll
Dinner: pea risotto with cannellini beans.

Almost the weekend

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:02 pm

Friday
Breakfast: porridge with peanut butter, nuts, banana and cinnamon
Lunch: mushroom and barley soup with two bread rolls
Dinner: chickpea curry and rice (or it will be when I get up from my post - dentist nap, I'm so hungry but also so cosy in bed)

Woo, week 2 of no-S reboot was a winner.

A little bit of weight loss news:
For background, by February last Year I'd lost almost 10kg doing no-S for a year and a bit. Then I fell off the wagon. I got back on a few times but it was not very consistent.

I've weighed myself twice in January so far. Once last week where I was almost back at my original starting weight. Once this week where I seem to have lost 3kg since then. So I'm still a good few kilos above my lowest weight but either last week's measurement was not accurate or those first few kilos have practically fallen off.

Teammoney

Post by Teammoney » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:14 am

Oh wow, good progress

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:18 pm

Nice to hear this, flyingpig! You might like to take your waist, hip measurements, etc to also help keep track.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

Teammoney

Post by Teammoney » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:13 am

Ooh good idea! Weighing triggers me but I should totally take my measurements.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:32 am

Saturday
Had cake for dessert at both lunch and dinner but apart from that a sensible day

Sunday
My birthday :D
Went out for afternoon tea and then ate crisps for dinner. Birthday privelige.

Monday
I counted this as my work birthday. Especially as the staff newsletter made me a year younger so people kept congratulating me on my big birthday. Had some of the cake I brought in and ended the day with half a box of maltesers after dinner out with colleagues.

Tuesday
This is where it went a little out of control. The other half of the box of maltesers may have been eaten before dinner... And then some other chocolates I got for my birthday after...

Wednesday
I was so hungry at 4pm I ate (a tiny piece of) cake. Then I wth-ed and ate many biscuits, had pizza for dinner and then chocolate after.

Right, today will be green. Back on that wagon!

Soprano

Post by Soprano » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:04 pm

A belated happy birthday

Jx

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:53 pm

Yes, belated Happy Birthday! :-)
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:37 pm

Thanks everyone!

Back to normality now (hopefully!)

Thursday
Breakfast: peanut butter and banana on toast and an apple
Lunch: tomato soup and toast
Dinner: green lentil and veg curry, daal, rice and a lot of fruit (half a mango, half a kiwi and a little orange)

So I got a little carried away with fruit at dinner but I'd not had time to eat my lunch fruit and I was also prepping some fruit for lunch tomorrow (maybe if it's cut up in a box, it won't end up forgotten at the bottom of a bag like my little oranges keep being). Better fruit than chocolate...
Last edited by flyingpig on Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teammoney

Post by Teammoney » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:46 pm

Happy Birthday!

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:29 pm

Friday
Breakfast: peanut butter and banana on a very small slice of toast, an apple
Lunch: mushroom and barley soup with toast, mango, kiwi and a little orange
Dinner: meat free burger, sweet potato fries and onion rings

The burger was creepily meaty - I don't normally eat fake meat, but I fancied dinner at the supermarket cafe and the sides appealed. I kinda liked it but I don't know if I want to know how they make it so juicy and meat coloured...

lpearlmom

Post by lpearlmom » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:06 pm

Was it an impossible burger or beyond beef? They are very realistic and tasty but don’t worry its just a vegetable protein. Im totally fine with eating them but it is slightly controversial.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... dissected/

I honestly think the beef industry has a lot to do with the controversy.
:twisted: SW: 210 lbs
CW: 172
GW:160

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:57 am

I don't think they were that fancy... or that realistically meaty. The whole meal, drink included, only cost me £6 so I imagine it was perhaps this: https://groceries.morrisons.com/webshop ... %20burgers

I'm just not keen on food with ingredients I don't understand... not logical really but I think the general belief probably helps me eat a bit healthier. I try and buy things that just have one or two ingredients... unless I go down the biscuit or chocolate aisle, in which case all these principles are often quickly abandoned :oops:

Anyway, apart from pizza and pringles at youth group this evening (oh and biscuits after church), my weekend has been vegan. I ate a lot yesterday, but it was mostly fruit :D I also bought oat milk for the first time. Not convinced by it in tea, but I did like hot chocolate made with it. I tried it at a friend's house in tea and it was OK, but I bought the cheapest one and I think she had a more expensive brand. Might try it with weetabix tomorrow, though I'm still getting used to the smell of it straight out of the carton.

I'm thinking after January I'll go back to getting milk, but maybe only one or two pints a week (I used to get 3). Still pondering other foods...

Teammoney

Post by Teammoney » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:55 pm

So we are a bit crazy with our milks - everyone in our house has a different one 😂. My verdict is: cashew milk is the most taste neutral one so not bad in teas (although you could also go the Austrian route and have lemon in your black tea).
Almond milk, coconut milk and rice milk are the best for hot chocolate.
Oat milk and almond milk are best for coffee.
But obviously you might have a different taste if you are experimenting.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:34 pm

Haha there are so many milks! My mum's fridge ends up like yours over Christmas - my brother in law has rice milk, my cousin oat and sometimes my sister will throw almond into the mix. As I'm doing this for mostly environmental reasons, I'm not convinced by almond and I imagine cashew might have similar drawbacks (can't grow in Britain, need lots of water etc).

I'm very torn because I also want to support British farmers - there are a lot of farmers near my parents who farm carefully and sustainably. But I'm not sure it's their milk I'm getting from my local supermarket.. or milkman...

And I'm not very consistent because I buy fruit and veg from far away without a second thought. I loooove mango. And peppers.

Anyway..
Monday
Breakfast: fruit loaf and jam (probably a bit too sweet but the fruit loaf needed eating)
Lunch: mushroom and barley soup, toast, mango, a little orange
Dinner: veggie sausages (for some reason these seem fine to me because they're not even trying to be meat - you can see the green etc in them), fried potatoes, peas and sweetcorn

So I think we're discovering that once I start trying to explain my food choices, I'm just a big mess of contradiction and compromise...

Teammoney

Post by Teammoney » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:00 pm

Haha, who is not a big mess of confusion! I actually have never met any pleasant person who is 100% consistent in all their endeavours. I just bought the book Bosh! How to Live Vegan and it has some great bits in it including that vegan is something they strive for in everything in their lives not something that is actually 100% attainable unless you turn your back on society. Very interesting thoughts there and so non-judgemental. Refreshing for vegans (no offence!!) as I met my fair share of vegan fanatics.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:55 pm

Tuesday
Lunch: blackbean and bulgur wheat salad
Dinner: aubergine coconut curry, daal, rice

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:28 am

Wednesday

Lunch: black bean and bulgur wheat salad, two little oranges
Dinner: chocolate... Pizza... Pringles. :oops:

Mark it, move on.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:40 am

Thursday
Lunch: black bean and bulgur wheat salad, two little oranges
Dinner: pringles, aubergine coconut curry, rice, chocolate mini rolls

Urgh.

RAWCOOKIE

Post by RAWCOOKIE » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:31 pm

Damn those Pringles!
:roll:
I love Everyday Systems :3

13.6.15 124.25lbs
11.11.21 101.00lbs

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:39 am

Friday (that's supposed to be s-day coloured)
Lunch: tomato, vegetable and red lentil soup, toast, kiwi, a bit of mango and a little orange
Dinner: pizza, salad and coleslaw followed by a brownie and a cookie

Went straight from work to an overnight reunion for the summer camp I help at. I brought a salad for dinner as I'd forgotten early arrivals would have pizza prepared for them. There wasn't masses of pizza and we ate early so I decided to have a few sweet things to get me through the rest of the evening :lol: and because enjoying a small sweet treat with friends seems reasonable :)

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:04 pm

Monday
Lunch: tomato, vegetable and red lentil soup, toast, a pear
Dinner: fish finger sandwich and peas

I need to go shopping (I have no fruit except a banana - my lunch time pear was scavenged from leftover children's fruit), but feeling a bit nibbly so fear that going to a supermarket might be a terrible idea right now. Will have to make do with freezer food for another day..

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:08 pm

Tuesday

Breakfast: weetabix and a banana (milk is back!)
Lunch: tomato, vegetable and red lentil soup, toast, a scone with cream
Dinner: roast veg curry with rice

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:39 am

Hum
Well. A lot happened. I had what I thought was a stressful week with a job interview and then my year group co-teacher absent.

I didn't get the job but now I don't really think I want it anyway!

Then I found out what an actual stressful week was. On Monday we were all just on edge. On Tuesday staff started staying home. By Friday we had probably about half the staff and still almost all the children.

From Monday we're running some kind of mixed - age childcare facility with an as yet unknown combination of staff and children from various schools. According to the government, "schools are closed."

It's very surreal and to be honest, what I've been eating has not been my priority. But if I'm stuck at home, I'll need routine. It will be quite easy to stick to no snacks though, as I have none and that is not a good reason to brave the shops. I think we'll see what next week holds.

I hope you were all safe and well. Stay home as much as you can!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:27 pm

So chaotic for you right now. Hugs!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:48 pm

Well, for four weeks I've just let myself eat whatever and get used to this strange new way of living. But now "the holidays" are over, I can't use Easter as an excuse any more and I sort of know what to expect for the next few weeks so I think attempting no-S might be a wise move.

Plus there's no flour anywhere anyway so my baking options are becoming increasingly limited! Although I did finally find eggs for the first time in two months on Friday.

Even though today is Sunday, I actually had a green day. :o
Lunch: fried egg, sweet potato wedges, beans, a bread roll
Dinner: salmon, Thai rice, peas, grapes

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:14 pm

Welcome to spring! Glad you found eggs! that's sound much worse than the stores in my area.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:32 pm

Weather-wise we seemed to have skipped spring and gone straight to summer. Although, having said that, it's cooled down a little since last week! Not complaining though- I've decided I'm fresh air /solar powered so enjoying plenty of time in the garden and walking.

As for shopping - it's not that bad (any more). The main issue is the baking aisle. Apparently Brits deal with a crisis by baking so there's never any flour or yeast. Eggs are hit and miss - I think the supermarket I usually go to was particularly short on them because I tried a new one this week and there were loads. But also loads of people ignoring the shop's one way system, and that stressed me out more than no eggs. I really like following rules and it bothers me more than I ever realised when other people don't follow them! :oops:

Hope you're doing OK!

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:29 pm

Monday

Lunch: an egg and baked beans on toast, an apple
Dinner: black bean enchiladas with spinach in, grapes

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:08 pm

Tuesday
Breakfast: peanut butter and banana on toast, cinnamon porridge
Lunch: cream cheese sandwiches
Then a couple of cupcakes from the freezer
Dinner: crisps, tofu stir fry, cookies

Ohhh maaan.

I started the day hungry. Then went into work for 6 hours (school is closed but we have some keyworker and vulnerable children still in so have to go in very occasionally to do childcare)... I am a bit paranoid about eating at work so came home super hungry. And ate lunch. And then cake.
After lunch I got a bit grumpy about working from home (I don't know why I even try to work from home on days I've been in, it never goes well) and then had a 3 hour nap. At dinner time. So I woke up very hungry (again) and made dubious choices.

But I'm less grumpy now. Not sure if it was the cookies that helped, or the fact that I've woken up a bit from my nap, or possibly the fact I had a bit of vent at my housemate.

Tomorrow's a new day.
Last edited by flyingpig on Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:31 pm

Wednesday
Breakfast: a banana
Lunch: tuna and sweetcorn pasta salad, two little oranges
Dinner: roast veg and chickpeas with couscous, an apple

I woke up miserable and thought today was going to be another disaster food - wise, but I cheered up. Mostly thanks to spending a good chunk of my afternoon prancing around the garden dancing to S Club 7 while wearing a rainbow wig. Because that's what primary school teachers forced to work at home do.. :lol: 8)

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:33 pm

Thursday
Breakfast: a banana, oats soaked in oat milk (aka I left my porridge ingredients in a bowl while I hung up my washing, when I came back it looked quite edible so I tried it before cooking, quite liked it and tadaaa a new breakfast)
Lunch: jacket potato with baked beans and cheese, two little oranges
Dinner: chilli beans and rice, an apple

I sort of enjoyed today's work... Although I think the joy of spreadsheets is not quite comparable to the joy of teaching real life children things! But they've started to send me work in which is exciting and I've worked out how to send them voice messages, so I'm talking into their houses. We're not video teaching which is kind of a shame but we're getting there with how this whole new world works.

Plus I stopped work at a decent hour and went out to do some gardening. I have had to pause that as I stretched too far hanging up a hanging basket and pulled something in my neck but it's feeling better already.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sat Apr 25, 2020 7:06 am

Friday

It was all going fine until I went shopping. It was quite stressful (there was a tiny baby screaming and lots of people ignoring the one way system). So when I got home I ate a sharing packet of crisps and half a pack of chocolate digestives.

Luckily that's pretty much all the snacks I bought (I have some biscuits left and a pack of mini eggs) so should be fine from Monday.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:35 pm

Saturday
Breakfast: a banana, yoghurt with strawberries, blueberries and grapes and a chocolate digestive or three
Lunch: scrambled egg, baked beans and bread
Dinner: sweet potato and lentil curry with naan bread, a few more chocolate digestives and a packet of mini eggs

I power washed the patio this afternoon. That kept me busy and not thinking about food... it also got me slightly sunburnt, but there was something on the news about us not getting enough vitamin D so hopefully I've avoided that problem for a bit. Tomorrow I've got big plans: going to power wash the front garden path. Exciting times.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:12 pm

Sunday
Breakfast: peanut butter and banana on toast, yoghurt with strawberries, blueberries and grapes
Lunch: cream cheese, cucumber and spinach sandwich, two little oranges
Snack: chocolate digestives
Dinner: sausages, quinoa, fried onions and sweetcorn
Snack: cake

Well that weekend genuinely flew by. I was on the phone to my sisters most of today (including video chatting my very cute toddler niece) sorting out wedding anniversary surprises for my parents. It's their Ruby wedding anniversary this weekend and it's been one disappointment after another when it comes to celebrating it. First the usual bank holiday was moved for VE day celebrations so they delayed their party till the summer. Then my sister double booked herself for the date they picked. And now they've cancelled it because there seems little point planning for the summer.

So we've made them a photo book with a poem, my brother - in - law is putting together a video and we'll probably have a little online gathering next weekend. And as soon as we're allowed, I'll be at their house. If I didn't have to go to work (and shop for my housemate, as well as keep her company and each other sane!) I'd probably be there already to be honest!

PS Didn't even get to power washing today. That'll have to be a treat for next weekend.
Last edited by flyingpig on Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:23 pm

Monday
Breakfast: porridge with blueberries and strawberries
Lunch: onion, pepper, tomato and cheese "omelette" (with one egg, there was way to much filling for it to actually remain an omlette!), toast, two little oranges
Dinner: a banana, black bean enchiladas, grapes

The banana was sort of a pre - dinner snack (eaten at around 5:45pm, had dinner around 7/7:30), but I'm fine with that.
Last edited by flyingpig on Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:44 pm

Tuesday
Breakfast: a banana, peanut butter on toast and yoghurt with strawberries and blueberries
Lunch: onion, pepper, tomato and cheese omelette on toast, two little oranges
Dinner: salmon, Thai rice and peas, grapes

Made my omelette with exactly the same ingredients as yesterday but managed to get it to stay omelettey with some careful use of the grill.
Going into work tomorrow. Hope I'll make it without resorting to sugar when I get home (it's a late shift - 12-6).

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:50 pm

Wednesday
Lunch: fish fingers, pasta, spinach and tomatoes
Dinner: sweet potato and lentil curry, naan bread

Thought I'd dealt better with going in to work today. Had a lovely time doing some music with the kids (got out glockenspiels and then drums) and watching them play outside. Although we offer care until 6pm, the last child was picked up at 5 so I finished earlier than expected. I came home, showered, had dinner... Then I fell asleep before 7pm. : :shock: I wasn't even tired, I just lay down read a book and next thing I knew it was after 9pm. I missed my online church group which is sad but never mind. How am I going to cope when I have to go back in full time?

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:18 pm

Thursday
Breakfast: peanut butter and banana on toast, yoghurt with blueberries and strawberries
Lunch: cream cheese, cucumber and spinach on toast, an apple
Dinner: cauliflower Thai Red curry and rice, grapes and a little orange

Well that curry was nice enough but it was missing something.. Maybe some meat? :lol: I haven't bought meat (except fish) for just myself for ages though, I actually don't really like touching raw meat any more.
I'll eat it if someone cooks it for me, and I did a roast chicken for me and my housemate for Easter but apart from that I'm usually quite happy with veggie alternatives.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Fri May 01, 2020 6:53 pm

Friday
Breakfast: peanut butter and banana on toast, yoghurt
Lunch: fish fingers, peas, sweetcorn, pasta
Dinner: black bean enchiladas

One green week compete. Finally.

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sat May 02, 2020 7:00 pm

congrats on your green week!
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Tue May 05, 2020 8:00 am

Thank you!

Not such a good start to this week :
Monday
Lunch: tortilla wrap pizza
Snack: shortbread
Dinner: leek and mushroom risotto. And then seconds of risotto. And possibly some thirds..

Ah well. I've had worse fails. Lessons learnt: have two slices of toast at breakfast and eat more fruit!

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Tue May 05, 2020 8:56 pm

Tuesday
Lunch: beans on toast, some cheese, two little oranges
Dinner: leek and mushroom risotto, an apple

At one point I opened the shortbread box, put my hands towards it and then thought "no, it is not worth it!" Take that, delicious homemade shortbread. My housemate made it on Sunday and her actual words were, "if you want some shortbread now while it's still Sunday, go for it!" She knows how I roll... But I actually declined because I'd eaten my own weight in flapjack by that point. :o Hopefully she'll have eaten it all soon and the temptation will be gone. Though I should learn from today that I can resist that temptation!

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Wed May 06, 2020 10:41 pm

Wednesday
Lunch: fried egg, mushrooms and tomato and toast, two little oranges
Dinner: jacket potato, baked beans and cheese, cucumber

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu May 07, 2020 9:55 pm

Thursday
Lunch: scrambled egg with spinach and onion on toast, cherry tomatoes, a little orange
Dinner: pasta with ketchup, mayo, cheese, sweetcorn and peas

I have become weirdly obsessed with ketchup.... I had a similar pasta concoction last week (on Wednesday and Friday) and even though it's a bit 5 year old esque. Hope they have now ketchup in the shops tomorrow!

Tomorrow is the 75th anniversary of VE (victory in Europe) day so a bank holiday. I'm going to have an S day and fashion some kind of afternoon tea.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Fri May 08, 2020 2:59 pm

Hi Flyingpig!

I have been catching up on your check-in and I just wanted to pop in and tell you how much I admire your consistent dedication to No S and moderate eating. That is something I really struggle with. ( I am always trying other things). Your meals also look delicious!

Enjoy your coming weekend!

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sun May 17, 2020 9:33 pm

Hello!

Thank you, very kind. And also not entirely true - I just avoid posting when it's not going so well! :oops:

So last week was not amazing. Not the biggest fail ever but I ate at least one sweet thing every day.

I was a bit fed up with myself by the time I went shopping yesterday so I tried not to buy too much junk. Then I ate everything I did buy yesterday because I have no self - control once it's in the house, so I'm glad I was reasonably restrained in the supermarket! Then I made myself cake today and ate all of that.

Luckily I have only one egg left so hopefully that won't happen again.

And I'm posting here again so that's a good sign...

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Mon May 18, 2020 3:26 pm

Flyingpig, Yes I do the exact same thing and tend to not frequent this forum when I feel like I am not doing a good job with the No S principles. However, you always come back, and that matters. :)

Hope to see you posting more!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 19, 2020 2:10 am

I tend to hide when failing. I bought only a couple of processed foods back in March. I wouldn't say I wolfed them, but I served myself servings of them so often that they were gone long before I was out of food I could have stretched them out with. Low satiety foods are no joke!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Tue May 19, 2020 3:04 pm

I definitely wolfed them, oola!
I think it probably doesn't help that I am currently doing my housemate's shopping as well as my own and so I'm buying chocolate etc for her. But I'm coming to accept that she might be able to have a little bit every now and again, but I can't. And that's ok, the world would be boring if we were all the same!

Monday
Breakfast: peanut butter and banana on toast, strawberries and yoghurt
Lunch: cheese, tomato, cucumber and lettuce sandwich, an apple
Dinner: spiced aubergine and beans with naan bread, two little oranges

I may have had a few strawberries at non-meal times too but happy to ignore that. They're so delicious, I love strawberry season! I wonder if pick you own farms will be open this year... It's not like you are close to people at them, so maybe...

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Tue May 19, 2020 5:39 pm

Tuesday
Breakfast: oats with milk, banana and strawberries
Lunch: one slice of toast with an egg and spinach, another slice of toast with tomatoes and basil, an apple
Dinner: fish fingers, pasta, sweetcorn and peas, two little oranges

Had dinner way too early so better go for a walk now to distract myself from eating anything else. Or checking my emails any more times. (We have a meeting about school reopening tomorrow so I keep checking to see if we've got any info to look at before... Like checking more often is going to make the email appear!)

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Wed May 20, 2020 5:38 pm

Wednesday

Breakfast: oats with milk, banana and strawberries
Lunch: cheese, tomato and lettuce sandwich, an apple
Dinner: leek and mushroom risotto, two little oranges

Got slightly sunburnt in school today :oops: what a hard life I lead! At the moment going in to work is pretty fun to be honest, but it's all change from June so that might bring its own stresses :shock: We'll see.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Wed May 20, 2020 7:14 pm

Congrats on another green day! That leek and mushroom risotto sounds good! Sorry for your sunburn. I sunburn so easily, I feel like all the warm weather months I have a mild sunburn. Hope yours heals quickly!

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu May 21, 2020 4:43 pm

Thursday
Snack: slice of chocolate fudge cake
Lunch: veggie lasagne
Snack: strawberry and banana milkshake
Dinner: cheese on toast

Ohhhhh. How did I manage to avoid the cake yesterday but today I specifically went to the staffroom to get a slice?! Ah well. In a way it's good because I needed to convince myself eating in school is OK before I'm back in for whole days - was having a bit of a wobble about it but I will need to eat lunch there soon! But the chocolate cake was a bit stale and very sweet so totally not worth it.

Also thanks for the sympathy but it turns out it was very mild sunburn... Doesn't hurt at all but enough to remind me to suncream up before going into school today.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sat May 23, 2020 9:49 am

Friday

Lunch: veggie lasagne
Dinner: a little orange, pizza, garlic bread (yes in that order :lol:)

A green Friday after a red Thursday. Woo! I did order pizza as a Friday/end of childcare hub school/start of holidays treat, but I only ate half of it, like I planned. Pizza for lunch today too-yay!

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Tue May 26, 2020 7:02 am

Monday
Breakfast: oats with milk, strawberries and banana
Lunch: cheese and tomato sandwich, green salad, a few bits of terrible little oranges
Dinner: fish fingers, new potatoes, corn on the cob, grapes

The oranges were really horrible - simultaneously dry and watery :( I bought a big box of them so hopefully it was just a couple on the top that were rubbish - I'll let you know after this lunchtime's citrus roulette :lol:

Glad I made it through a bank holiday without turning to food to celebrate it. Instead I read a book in the sunshine, went for a walk in some woods I've only just discovered and joined in with a mega zoom quiz my sister arranged (started as a way to entertain / cheer up my brother, ended up with 12 households joining in!).

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Tue May 26, 2020 5:09 pm

Eww I know what you mean about dry and watery... Oranges really are a form of roulette. I am always telling my kids that oranges are unpredictable and just because a few taste bad doesn't mean they all do. Hope you have some good ones in there!

Sounds like you had a very nice holiday!

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Tue May 26, 2020 8:12 pm

Tuesday
Breakfast: peanut butter and banana on toast, strawberries and raspberries with yoghurt
Lunch: cheese sandwich, red pepper, radishes
Dinner: veggie sausages, potato salad, peas

Well, there was a twist in the orange tale : a blue/green/white extremely mouldy orange stuck to the corner of the box! I removed it and also chucked all the ones touching it, but the others don't feel great. Not been brave enough to try one yet!

Technically we have a week's holiday but with schools partially opening (well, opening more widely) next week, we were allowed in today to sort classrooms, remove furniture and organise equipment. I'm glad I went because it made me feel more prepared but it also made me realise how different it's going to be. At the moment I have 11 children signed up for my class rather than 30 (it might go up, but the max is 15) and I've never taught half of them. They all have to have their own table, their own stationery etc. There's a lot I don't know, like timings and which other adult I'll be working with so it's all making my brain whirr a little bit. I can go in on Thursday again.. I don't really have anything else to do in school but I'm tempted to just to try to get my head round it all a bit more!

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Wed May 27, 2020 9:51 pm

Wednesday

Breakfast: peanut butter and banana on toast, strawberries and yoghurt
Lunch: a fried egg on spinach and onions on toast, mango
Dinner: Thai rice, salmon and green beans
Last edited by flyingpig on Thu May 28, 2020 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu May 28, 2020 12:39 am

I hope some of your oranges turned out ok!

I also had some eggs on toast with onions for lunch today. :)

Yay for a green day!

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Thu May 28, 2020 2:35 pm

I noticed your strawberry comment and have to agree - love the strawberry season! My strawberries are growing great in my backyard this year.
And the little oranges - ha! I had to throw out my last bag from costco because they were awful. I announced that my "cutie a day" routine was officially suspended until next year.
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu May 28, 2020 7:54 pm

Thursday
Breakfast: oats with milk, strawberries and a banana
Lunch: veggie sausages and potato salad, mango
Dinner: Thai salmon, rice and green beans

Strawberries are just amazing. I wish I was growing some! I've got tomatoes, cauliflower, cucumber and courgette in the garden but they all seem to be growing at a snail's pace. Possibly a bit of "watched pot never boils".

Still not braved another orange...

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sat May 30, 2020 10:38 pm

Friday

Breakfast: oats with milk, strawberries and banana
Lunch: scrambled egg with spinach and onion on toast
Dinner: two fresh bread rolls(still warm from the oven), halloumi, red pepper and red onion

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sun May 31, 2020 12:19 am

hah I threw away the last few of our little oranges and didn't replace them at the store... I think it might be over for them for now, at least in our area.

Your food for Friday sounds delicious! Hope you are having a good weekend!

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:13 pm

Monday
Lunch: tuna sandwich, a carrot, radishes and an apple
Dinner: vegetable stir fry with cashews, yoghurt with grapes and strawberries

Tuesday
Breakfast: oats with strawberries, banana and oat milk
Lunch: tuna sandwich, red pepper, radishes and an apple
Snack: hula hoops
Dinner: veggie lasagne
Snack: chocolate cookies

Well, at least I managed one day in school without resorting to snacks! Although I was in bed by 7:30pm yesterday.

Today I walked to work. Which was lovely on the way there at a cool 7am (much refreshed after my long sleep), but hot and a bit of a slog in the mid - afternoon heat (we have to leave the school building by 4pm). So I stopped at a new supermarket on the way home to buy a drink. And obviously caved and bought hula hoops too.

Might drive to work tomorrow.. Or wear more comfortable shoes, fill my water bottle up before leaving school and not take my debit card with me!

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:17 am

Wednesday
Breakfast: scrambled egg in a bread roll
Lunch: cheese sandwich, carrot, radishes, an apple
Dinner: leek and mushroom risotto, grapes

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:55 pm

Congrats on your green day!

Thats nice that you can walk to work too!

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Thu Jun 04, 2020 4:38 pm

I can walk... But since Tuesday I haven't. I should get my bike out and see if it works - cycling might be a better option.
This week I'm just doing whatever it takes to get through the first week of the "new normal". Luckily the children have been absolutely lovely and working really hard (I would always like 10 children in my class please!) and the teaching assistant I'm paired with is great too, so that has helped alleviate the weirdness.

Thursday
Breakfast: oats with oat milk, strawberries and banana
Lunch: cheese sandwich, red pepper, carrot and an apple
Dinner: fish fingers, new potatoes, sweetcorn and peas, grapes

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:39 pm

Cycling could be a good option. sounds like you have a lot to deal with. I know you are in the UK right? Do you get summer break for school?

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:13 am

We do! Six weeks from mid-July until the end of August. (school restarts very close 1st Sept usually)
There has been talk of shortening/postponing the holidays but I'm not sure the teaching unions would let that happen. All the breaks since lockdown have happened when they should (2 weeks for Easter and 1 week last week) so I think we will get our 6 weeks.

The government initially said they wanted to get all primary school (the kind of school I work in - age 5-11) pupils back before the summer, but if we stay in groups of 15 max, it's not possible. We don't have enough staff or rooms! At the moment we only have keyworker or vulnerable (ie with special needs or ones that have social worker involvement) children in, but we're bringing in three more year groups over the next few weeks.

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:12 pm

Interesting, they are handling it differently here in most of the US, but our summer break is also longer. Almost 3 months. So because so many schools are out for the summer, I think they are just keeping them closed until fall.

We have been out of school here in the southern US since May 22, and we go back mid August

It sounds really hard to figure out how to only have 15 students max and get everyone back to school! I hope you get your 6 week break! I feel like everyone needs a break after all this craziness and uncertainty! Thank goodness for teacher's unions!

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:44 am

Oh wow, that is a long break! We have shorter but I guess maybe more regular breaks (3x 1 week, 2x 2 weeks and the six week one over a year).

The holidays start earlier in Northern Ireland and Scotland than in England so I think they're not planning on going back till August / September.

Friday
Breakfast: scrambled egg in a bread roll
Snack: biscuits
Lunch: cheese sandwich, carrot, grapes and an apple
Dinner: veggie sausages, new potatoes, sweetcorn, peas
Snack: a couple of crisps, an ice cream and some cookies

Oops, started the weekend a bit early..

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:54 pm

I think so, I know we get 2 weeks off for Christmas and 1 week off for Spring break... sometimes a few days for Thanksgiving. I think I read that we have 178 days of school in a year. We also have teacher in-services where teachers go and kids don't on random Mondays. That would be nice to have breaks more evenly spread through the year I think.

Fridays always feel like a party to me too! I actually make my Friday night an S night and then Sunday night an N night, but that is because my whole family eats ice cream together every Friday.

Have a great weekend!

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:58 pm

We have 195 teacher days and 190 of those pupils should be in (so 5 training days), so even our regular breaks don't quite make up for your very long summer one!

Was a bit grumpy this weekend as it was rainy. Plus I think I was annoyed that I can go to work "like normal" but there wasn't really anything I could do at the weekend "like normal".

Monday
Breakfast: oats with strawberries, banana and oat milk
Lunch: cheese sandwich, cucumber, carrot and an apple
Dinner: pasta with roasted veg in a tomato sauce, banana and peanut butter oat milkshake, grapes

Not counting the milkshake as a sweet because I really do have a milk surplus to deal with. Plus it literally was just a frozen banana, a spoonful of peanut butter and some oat milk. And I'd like to pretend it made me feel better after a hayfever-y day, although I've sneezed at least ten times since. :roll:

pinkhippie

Post by pinkhippie » Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:23 pm

Oh wow! I guess you do have a bit more school than us. Hopefully you have shorter days or more lunch break or something! :D

I would be really grumpy if I had to go to work like normal but then couldn't do any of the fun relaxing going out activities I normally do on the weekend.

That milkshake sounds delicious! I am so glad I just bought bananas at the store... I might have to make one of those for breakfast. :)

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:38 am

I don't even do that much at the weekend normally!

Sadly the grumpiness continued and yesterday was very very red..

Tuesday
Biscuits, biscuits and more biscuits.

Then I fell asleep at 6:30pm. Woke up at 1:30am, had a little awake hour and then slept again till now (6:30am). Hopefully all that sleep will help today be green.

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:33 pm

Wednesday
Breakfast: cinnamon raisin bagel, strawberries and grapes with yoghurt
Lunch: cheese sandwich, cucumber, carrot and an apple
Dinner: fish fingers, rosemary new potatoes, peas and sweetcorn, banana and raspberry oat milkshake

Back on track. And made it till 8:30pm without falling asleep but I'm flagging now! Week 2 at school and my energy levels have dropped considerably...

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:28 am

Thursday
Breakfast: banana and chocolate chip muffin, peanut butter and banana on toast, strawberries and grapes with yoghurt
Lunch: cheese sandwich, cucumber, grapes and an apple
Dinner: pasta with cheese sauce and peas, mango
Snack: banana and chocolate chip muffin, a slice of cheese and bacon bread

My housemate is on a baking spree... I'm not doing a good job resisting her offerings :oops:

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:42 am

Friday

It's Sunday, I can't remember what I ate on Friday any more :roll: :lol:

gingerpie

Post by gingerpie » Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:29 am

flyingpig wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:42 am
Friday

It's Sunday, I can't remember what I ate on Friday any more :roll: :lol:
I can't remember what I ate an hour ago. :?

Enjoy your day,
Virginia

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:02 pm

:lol:
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
4/21 - 25.2

flyingpig

Post by flyingpig » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:08 pm

Monday
... So far

Breakfast: fried egg sandwich, grapes and strawberries with yoghurt
Lunch: tuna and sweetcorn pasta, cucumber, red pepper and an apple
Dinner: tomato and mozzarella sandwich

My dinner was too small and it's only 5pm. Hmm.. But I am also very tired so I might just fall asleep before the small dinner becomes a major problem. That's what spending an afternoon gardening with 11 kids does to you! Gardening day is my favourite day of the week and my bubble of children absolutely love it. They got filthy though; sending home dirty, happy, tired children made me feel like I'd done my job well today!

Edit to add: I solved the dinner problem with a glass of milk with a banana and peanut butter blended into it. A milkshake, I guess but the banana wasn't frozen so it didn't have a milkshake texture.