Saying hello after lurking

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

deryck

Saying hello after lurking

Post by deryck » Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:24 pm

I am a male aged 52, height 5ft 9 and have been trying to lose some weight for a while following my own diet, it is similar to the No s in some ways, 3 meals a day during the week with a low-fat bias, no snacks and seconds and no alcohol. Weekends, some alcohol, some seconds, maybe a snack in the evening and no bingeing. I have few additional rules to that complicate matters so that we don't have to dump leftovers - not excuses to eat more :D .

After losing some weight I came back from holiday in April I was not feeling that well and started bingeing on crisps and sweets during the weekday evenings, weekends I was probably eating less than the week even though it should have been the other way round. Every week I was going to stop the snacking, but never managed to.

For some reason I stumbled on the site just over a month ago and it managed to motivate me to stop the snacking in the evening – the major problem. Since then things have been pretty good. 1 bag of crisps was the thing I have felt most guilty about on the first Friday evening when I was very hungry, a few other minor digressions, but nothing major.

Progress has been pretty good so far, I usually weight daily to track the trend. Unnecessary, but I like doing it. Some exercise around 40 minutes dog walking a day, gym 3 days a week. Started at 191, now 180, the target is around 155 lbs so another 25 to lose. All I need to do is keep on track for the rest to come off.

I keep you updated with progress.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:24 pm

Welcome!

This is a great group (or at least, as a relative newbie myself, I've found it so).

Wishing you success...

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:44 am

Welcome, deryck!

Congratulations on your success so far and thanks for letting us know.

Feel free to divulge your additional rules -- if they work for you, they might be helpful to others.

Looking forward to hearing more from you,

Reinhard

British Chap

Post by British Chap » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:22 am

11 pounds in a month is great going! well done!

I look forward to reading about how you waved goodbye to the other 25.

Gareth

deryck

Post by deryck » Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:08 pm

As one British chap to another you have done have down brilliantly as well.

I am feeling much more positive about things at the moment and have a lot more energy. Hopefully I can keep it up till Christmas and shed a few more pounds.

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:25 am

I just found this site this evening and I've got to say I'm impressed. As a veteran of almost every commercial diet out there, I must say that this diet appears to be the most level headed approach I've ever seen. I am starting this plan this minute. I hope to report back soon that I'm still following the guidelines. Jumping in just before Christmas might be a little tough, but I'm going to do this. :D
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying

British Chap

Post by British Chap » Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:42 am

Hi Annie - welcome and good luck in the Christmas build-up.

A comment on your motto - which I know will provoke some discussion around here. How about "There is no failure, only learning" - It great to see you've continued to change your approach to dieting until you find what works. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Gareth

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:46 pm

Gareth -

Thank you for the great welcome. I am so new that I'm feeling a bit out of my element at the moment and I appreciate your response.

Hmmmmmm......As a former teacher, I certainly do see your point about my signature line but I've been carrying that phrase around for a couple of years now and it's the only thing that has kept me afloat. I have a LOT to lose......like 100 pounds. That phrase has enabled me to keep fighting these past two years and I'm actually DOWN about 30 pounds from the day I began my battle. I know if I had given up that I would probably be 50 pounds UP from my original weight.

I've done the point counting and the fad diets and the rigid exercise programs. All of them made me feel like I was fixating on food and/or exercise and it was controlling my life. The simple rules of this plan look ,not ony doable, but like a plan that will not reallly interfere with my daily activities. I think I am in love with this plan. :wink:
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying

deryck

Post by deryck » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:31 pm

Welcome Annie - now is the time to start!

After I gave up my bingeing the first week was quite difficult as I that was losing a lot of calories from my diet. I spent a lot of time opening cupboards and saying "no snacks" to myself the first week or so. This weekend was only the second time I have had any snacks, maybe a 5th of a pack of Pringles and didn't finish the packet, it is nice to feel in control again.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:33 am

Just wanted to say hi to Deryck and Annie!
Good luck guys!
Annie, you just keep on going!!!!
You know you love this plan! ;)
I lost about 35 pounds or so on NoS in two years so far and haven't gained back. I'm now trying to "restart" somewhat, and get those last thirty pounds off me!
See you in two more years :)
Peace and Love,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:09 pm

Welcom Deryck. Sounds like you are doing great! I'm only a 2 day old newbie but so far have found hte board inspirational and supportive.
Keep us posted on your progress and you might start a personal journal to track your daily progress.

Annie,
Sounds like you have renewed hope! I am hppeful too, I could stand to lose a good 70-80 lbs just to be back in the "healthy" zone for my height.
If you want to be noS buddies or something let me know, it's always good to have a buddy help you out with cravings and whatnot.

Welcome :)