Podcast #54: State of the Systems 2020

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
reinhard
Site Admin

Podcast #54: State of the Systems 2020

Post by reinhard » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:14 pm

I posted the episode itself a few days ago but was in too much of a scramble to start a new topic here:

https://everydaysystems.com/podcast/episode.php?id=54

MD

Re: Podcast #54: State of the Systems 2020

Post by MD » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:14 pm

I am psyched about the latest podcast!

Thanks for posting it. I am intrigued about upcoming topics for 2021.

Each time I read a media report about the latest fad diet or a quick way to lose weight or get in shape, I think of the benefits of moderation espoused here in Everyday Systems, and in a hare-and-tortoise race the slow and steady tortoise usually wins.

Lately I have been reading a lot about the FIRE (Financially Independent, Retired Early) movement, and their approach about becoming wealthy by spending less reminds me of the slow-and-steady approaches to diet and exercise here.

Perhaps you have some thoughts on personal finance you could share in a podcast?

Thanks again,
-Marc D.

NoelFigart

Re: Podcast #54: State of the Systems 2020

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:40 pm

Enjoyed your State of the Systems podcast.

For what it is worth, your systems and your discussion of the importance of good habits have been a serious lifeline for my own household! Having that idea of habits and self-discipline being important has allowed us to have sensible structure to our days. We haven't gained weight (lost, in fact), the house isn't a hideous mess, and we eat regular, tasty meals at appropriate times.

For my husband and I, Urban Ranger has kept us physically fit without going buggy (and yes, I do find a step counter motivational, too!).

For my own part, I've been using a modified version of Chain of Self-command with a Bullet Journal and that has kept my life from spiraling out of control while the pandemic and attendant issues have been upon us.

I know that your ideas around habit weren't even vaguely intended to be a Pandemic Coping Tool, but wow...

Thank you. Your ideas have certainly wound up being beneficial to my household.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.