Podcast #63: State of the Systems, 2021, Part 2

An everyday system, TM, is a simple, commonsense solution to an everyday problem, grounded by a pun or metaphor. Propose/discuss new systems here.
reinhard
Site Admin

Podcast #63: State of the Systems, 2021, Part 2

Post by reinhard » Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:23 pm

Can't believe I actually got this out on time. Enjoy!

https://everydaysystems.com/podcast/episode.php?id=63

Amy3010

Re: Podcast #63: State of the Systems, 2021, Part 2

Post by Amy3010 » Sun Mar 06, 2022 6:52 am

Thank you! Lots of food for thought. I have heard Anna Lembke on a few podcasts and her approach does seem to parallel No-S in lots of ways - the importance of moderation and just embracing how hard things are sometimes. Because it sometimes really is an epic battle not to have that cookie.

NoSDoc

Post by NoSDoc » Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:08 pm

Dear Reinhard!

Again a Podcast episode with lots of Ideas and Inspiration. Thank you!

Especially hearing about Audiodidact inspired me. The Input side of Audiodidact is strong in my life. But I never made the Output side into a habit. It is true: the syncing with the iPhone Voice Recorder is a mess. And getting the phone out of my pocket every time I want to record something, stopping the Audio, opening the App, speaking in, Saving and then going back to the audio just was too complicated for me. So I was intrigued by the idea to have a separate recorder. Just ordered one via Amazon. Will let you know about my progress with the Output side. I got the feeling that this will be very useful.

And just a thought I had when listening to the Time Box Lord section: it could also be seen a meta system. As it is used in all kinds of systems (Shovelglove, Study Habit, Meditation etc.). I guess the discussion is academic. But it seems to be a reoccurring technique, like the N-Day / S-Day structure which are so characteristic for the Everyday Systems.

All the best from southern Germany, where we have most beautiful sunny days, snow covered Mountains and crisp Air!

Yours

Stefan

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:38 pm

I'm glad you both like it! Thank you for letting me know.

It's not often I come across truly wise self help books and Anna Lembke's is definitely one of them. I love how she is simultaneously tough and compassionate. Some of the terminology is great too, "self binding," in its various forms (chronological especially), hormesis and the importance of embracing or at least learning to tolerate pain/anxiety/distress. Exposure therapy and its limitations (there is such a thing as over exposure!). How every effort at self discipline provokes a counter response that must be anticipated and dealt with. I'll definitely be coming back to her work again.

Glad audiodidact particularly resonated with you, Stefan. Keeping it simple (dedicated device, just simple mp3 files to manage vs.some magical cloud thing) make it unobtrusive and let you focus on the content, what you are actually thinking and saying.

You are very right that Timebox Lord has a "meta" aspect. Several of the systems fall into ambiguous categories. One day I'll produce a diagram with lots of arrows showing how all the systems influence and support each other.

I'm working on the meta episode already, and it's going to be quite a challenge keeping it to just one episode. I'm surprised by how much I have to say about them. But one way or another, I'm determined to get it out this month.

Reinhard

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:56 am

How every effort at self discipline provokes a counter response that must be anticipated and dealt with - this is something that rarely gets addressed, and yet it has such an impact! Thanks for the recommendation, her book is now on my to read list!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:14 pm

Domamine nation is an excellent book. The audiobook version is excellent too (read by the author). I've listed to it and read it in print (and generated some anki cards). Gave it the full "Study Habit" treatment.

I'm taking notes for an episode I'm tentatively calling "Demogorgon Whack-a-mole" that addresses precisely that problem.

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:17 am

I look forward to it! :mrgreen: