Leptins v No S

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Samurai

Leptins v No S

Post by Samurai » Fri May 13, 2005 6:24 pm

If you'd prefer to pay for diet advice rather then absorb it for free from the Everyday Systems bulletin board, take a look at the following link:

http://www.wellnessresources.com/protoc ... n_diet.htm

Looks like there is a scientific reason why eating three meals a day, without snacks, should be the norm.

Just like Reinhard, and your grandma, have said all along. :wink:
One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness. - Imagawa Sadayo (1325-1420)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 13, 2005 7:01 pm

It does sound strikingly familiar:

"Following the 5 lifestyle rules in Mastering Leptin will significantly make healthy weight loss easier. These rules include eating 3 meals a day with no snacking, no eating after dinner, and eating a high protein breakfast."

They give you 4 out of the five "lifestyle rules" right here in the blurb. That last one must be a doozy, to take up the whole rest of the book.

gratefuldeb67

Mastering Leptin book

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri May 13, 2005 7:47 pm

Hey Reinhard and Samurai :D
I tried to get this info out last year on the Yahoo group...

Yes, Reinhard, the main criticism of this book, from the online reviews, is pretty much what you are hinting at.. Mainly that the bulk of the info could be condensed to one chapter, not a whole book :lol:
Peace, Love and Leptin
8) Deb

Samurai

Post by Samurai » Fri May 13, 2005 8:38 pm

reinhard wrote:It does sound strikingly familiar:

"Following the 5 lifestyle rules in Mastering Leptin will significantly make healthy weight loss easier. These rules include eating 3 meals a day with no snacking, no eating after dinner, and eating a high protein breakfast."

They give you 4 out of the five "lifestyle rules" right here in the blurb. That last one must be a doozy, to take up the whole rest of the book.
Although I haven't read the book, I think lifestyle rule No. 5 is "Exercise."

:lol:
One should not be envious of someone who has prospered by unjust deeds. Nor should he disdain someone who has fallen while adhering to the path of righteousness. - Imagawa Sadayo (1325-1420)

Beth

Post by Beth » Mon May 23, 2005 7:17 pm

Oh and don't forget that you have to pop a big ol' handful of pills as well....
Beth
Mom to Nathan and Jessica, born 04/20/2004

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon May 23, 2005 9:30 pm

I don't know why anyone would want to buy these programs. There are all those commercials on tv for pill-poppin'-programs, and they are all expensive. The fine print at the bottome of the screen always says "results not typical" and then they say that you have to follow a diet and exercise program, too! What a waste. Plus, I always wonder how healthy those pills are.

Casey

Post by Casey » Mon May 23, 2005 11:55 pm

I always see this: "results not typical" and wonder why on earth does someone pay for a someone to tell you..eat less, excercise and you'll lose weight. Heck, Let someone pay me and Ill tell them that. :lol:

Rumba

Post by Rumba » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:41 pm

I scanned the book (Mastering Leptin) at the bookstore (Borders) and find that number 5 is Cut Down on Carbohydrates. The book does talk about exercise in separate sections not part of the 5 lifestyle things. But instead of buying the book (about $eighteen*) I've bought an 8-lb sledgehammer (about $20) and am going to try No-S and Shovelglove. Three days so far, and we shall see what comes of it. I'll post if I succeed, which I kind of think I will since it seems so darn logical and sensible.

* for some odd reason when I preview this message with 18 written with the dollar sign it substitutes a smiley face for the number 8, hence the text version of the price.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:39 am

Welcome, Rumba. And thanks for revealing the final leptin mystery (an $18 value!). Take it very slow with the shovelglove. It's much harder than it seems at the time. You will regret it the next day (or longer) if you start out overenthusiastic. Looking forward to hearing about your success.

Kevin

shovelglove

Post by Kevin » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:29 pm

I second Reinhard's caution. Take it very easy with shovelglove while starting up. Hold the hammer near the head and go nice and easy.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Rumba

Post by Rumba » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:25 am

Yup, Kevin, I'm starting off really easy and increasing veeerrrrry slowly. So far no major soreness. If anything, I'm being overcautious, but I'm one of those folks who see no virtue whatsoever in pain. At the dentist I heard the guy in the chair in the adjoining room declining novocaine, saying "I can take it." The dentist asked me did I want novocaine. I said "Are you kidding? I think you should pump that knockout gas through the vents into the waiting room so I never even see the chair." I will not be overdoing the ShovelGlove, no sireee. It's nice to keep putting out that warning though, as I can see from some of the postings that others have fallen into that error in spite of all the warnings on the ShovelGlove front page. Not everyone is as sissy (and proud of it) as I am.

fawnmarie

Post by fawnmarie » Fri Jun 24, 2005 4:35 pm

I recently read about the "Mastering Leptin" plan, and it recalled me to when I found the No S website. I refer to it as the No-S**t Diet because it's really just so obvious! I told my husband that the next diet craze may actually be Eating Sensibly. I've never actually TRIED the "NO S" being a bit intimidated by my craving for a regular supply of sweets (even fake sweets), but when I found the site last year, I bookmarked it and thought it seemed incredibly sensible. When I ran across the data on the ML plan, I came back and was absolutely stunned by the resemblance.

After reading a little more info on the ML book and it's contents, it looks like they stole your program, man!

The 5 rules are:

Rule 1: NEVER EAT AFTER DINNER.
Rule 2: EAT 3 MEALS A DAY, and DO NOT SNACK.
Rule 3: DO NOT EAT LARGE MEALS.
Rule 4: EAT SOME PROTEIN AT BREAKFAST.
Rule 5: REDUCE THE AMOUNT OF CARBS EATEN.

Well, "No Snacks" takes care of rules 1 and 2.
"No Sweets" takes care of 4 & 5.
And "No Seconds" takes care of 3, doesn't it.

Personally, I prefer your forthright, non-profit and 'lite' approach to the subject. Granted, I'll probably want to do the research at some point (I'm like that), but I generally do that through Medscape and draw my own conclusions.

Anyway, I posted your site link to a very popular discussion group and I hope you get lots and lots of hits and money from Google for it.

And even if you don't get rich off this plan, you look absolutely fantastic and pretty babe-ified for a Librarian/Computer Geek. So, good on you!

Thanks for the common sense - I'll have to give it a go, and save my $18.

Fawn

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:13 pm

fawnmarie, welcome and thanks for posting the link. Sorry for the delay in responding, I've been churning through a mountain of emails and posts since our little trip last long weekend.

I have one remaining question regarding "Leptin:" what on earth is it? Is it some fictional(?) nutrient? Is it the name of the doctor who "discovered" these principles?

Just looked it up:

"Leptin is a protein hormone produced by adipose tissue. Its concentration in the body provides the brain with a rough indication of adipose mass for the purposes of regulating appetite and metabolism. Leptin works by inhibiting the actions of neuropeptide Y (NPY) and agouti-related peptide (AgRP) and by increasing the actions of alpha-melanocortin stimulating hormone."

What that has to do with the rules above, I can't tell you. Sounds like the author just needed something pseudo-sciencey to stick in the title.

fawnmarie

Post by fawnmarie » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:06 pm

There's a number of hormones, enzymes and neurochemicals that control appetite, saiety, fat storage and fat usage for fuel. It seems they discover a new one every year and new applications every year. I think last year it was lipoprotein lipase.

:roll:

It's hard to keep track of them all.

Fawn

margaret

Post by margaret » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:34 pm

Dr. Mercola says that leptin is a hormone produced by the fat. He has a web site but I don't know how to do links...lots of interesting stuff about the extra fat actually being an organ that produces the hormone leptin, chich is the hormone that makes us crave food. My favorite is "it's my mother's fault"...a mother who doesn't have proper nutrition during pregnancy causes the child to develop excess leptin.
"E're she looked for the good, e're she found it.
Annie May Quigg 1891-1996

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:09 pm

I have one remaining question regarding "Leptin:" what on earth is it? Is it some fictional(?) nutrient? Is it the name of the doctor who "discovered" these principles?

What that has to do with the rules above, I can't tell you. Sounds like the author just needed something pseudo-sciencey to stick in the title.
R. Engels

Hey Doctor Leptin, how's it going? LOL.... Sorry I still don't know how to lift and quote with that white little box thing... If anyone can explain how to do that, I'd be very grateful...
"Pseudo-sciencey" That is awesome!!!
I'm laughing my ass off....
You are so funny Reinhard! :lol:

Leptin is real though, but your assumption that he stuck it in there to sell a book, is probably just as real.... LOL...
If I can find some *non confusing* explanation of what and why Leptin affects our appetites/weight, I'll try to.... Personally I do find that it's really great to understand how the body works... Very cool, and why not?
But it shouldn't take a degree in endocrinology to be able to lose weight..
Thank God NoS has such fundamental and global accessibilty...
Anyone can do it!
Love,
8) Deb

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:28 pm

Okay, I just tried to bone up on mastering what leptin really is... Must have looked at 10 pub med article abstracts and a whole mess of commercials for that book...
I need some tylenol! (LOL... just kidding!!!)

Well it seems that the general function of the hormone Leptin is to tell the brain how much fat there is, and regulate three things...
1. How much we need to eat/or not eat....
2. How much energy we should be burning/conserving....
3. (In women) whether we have enough fat reserves to support a fetus, therefore affecting reproduction....
Since adipose cells produce the leptin, the bigger the cells, the more leptin the brain should be receiving... So the fatter we get, the more leptin we produce...
In theory, this should inhibit appetite and food intake should naturally be less... But apparently the whole "Mastering Leptin" argument is based on a hypothesis that obese people are infact, leptin resistant...
In other words, the brain simply doesn't realize it's there in the blood and can't get a good read on whether the person needs food or doesn't...
In normally functioning people, when we have too little fat, like in starvation, leptin is very low, and so hunger signals in the hypothalamus are activated... If it is high, because we have all this fat, theoretically the brain should know to lower food intake and burn more calories...
My read on all this is that when we consistently overeat, and don't challenge our body's "picture" of itself, by staying in a rut... Stagnating...
We become leptin "resistant"... I personally believe that all the medical info basically points to the idea I have mentioned in some of my past postings of "becoming numb"....
We don't know when we are hungry when we are always eating, we tune out to the fact that our bodies really don't want that fat around and feel like crap, and when our minds say "time to get off your butt and burn some of this fat" we ignore it and just sit around some more...
I guess you won't find my take on this in the Pub Med articles, but I'm going to just stay out on my "Limb" and say that the whole
"Leptin Resistant" hypothesis, is just another way of saying we aren't really "Listening" to our bodies and are going into numbness and unconsciousness... We just tune out. So the rules for different eating behaviors, I believe, just puts some new input into the mix, and "wakes us up", both mentally and physically from our "rut"....
When I wake up in the morning, maybe due to all that leptin floating around in my pituitary, I usually have a bad appetite and don't want to eat.
As soon as I start moving around, and especially if I do a massage, or something physically active, my metabolism gets fired up again and I feel hungry... It's on/off... not steady...
I think that by having regular meals, we just promote balance and gently, not with these huge pendulum swings in appetite (nothing vs. starving) teach ourselves what is real hunger and whether we should and can afford to move around and exercise...

On an aside, not directly related to Leptin!, one of the common things people will say to me during a massage session is "oh my goodness, I had no idea how tense I was" or "I didn't know I was so sore there"...
Chronic tension, and pain often becomes something we just tune out to..
Until the therapist visits an area which is somehow experiencing dysfunction or this "dull" pain, it's very easy to just ignore it... Unlike an acute injury, chronic pain will often just become endured for long periods of time until, one day, there's some straw that breaks the camels back...
This is why I love and believe massage is so therapeutic.. It reminds the body to heal itself by bringing awareness to us about how we feel.... It breaks that cycle of unconscious stagnation by putting in some new "input" for the body and mind to process...
So I just say, don't worry about your Leptin resistance, just stay awake..
Feel your body, and listen...
Love,
8) "Dr" Deb
*my book is coming out in September. Advanced purchases receive a free gallon of Leptoturbocharger-GOYD'syne....
(the chemical component aka "get off your duff"syne)
NB the above editorial is not necessarily the views of the NoS network or it's leader! LOL.....

peetie

Post by peetie » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:08 pm

Deb - Yes, we, as a culture love to have "scientific" reasons for things. The high carb craze...yes!!! That makes perfect sense!!! Atkins....perfect sense yet again!!! It's like we humanoids need SOMETHING scientific to rev us up. I tend to agree that it all boils down to listening to our bodies.

I loved our fearless leader's comments on the whole Leptin thing....even wondering if Leptin was the name of a doctor!

We can read into, or discover all kinds of "science", but it always boils down to fewer calories in and more calories out for weight loss, and equality for maintenance. But, that would be one precious short book!

Peetie

gratefuldeb67

Mastering SCHLEPTIN....

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:10 pm

I think that the main reason, which Reinhard already presents in his homepage, about why we get into these very detailed scientific dissections of what is causing our fatness, is that some people would just prefer to be duped, and stay in denial...
It is, like he said, so unflattering to just say...
"I'm fat because I eat too much..."
So much easier to blame our poor genes, and just keep getting distracted and deluded, and turn our gaze out to anything, and everything under the sun besides US!!!
Did you ever notice his comment about our society being not only irresponsible, but actually "anti-responsible"...
When I read that, I knew he was never going to try and fool us here...
(plus I peed in my pants laughing!!!!!)

So, do you want to purchase my book?
I think my title will be
"Mastering Schleptin"
(with a strong focus on moving and shaking up the status quo....)
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
(who is having fun posting again with all yall!!!)

peetie

Post by peetie » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:25 pm

Deb,
I expect an autographed copy!

Peeetie

peetie

Post by peetie » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:25 pm

Deb,
I expect an autographed copy!

Peeetie

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:02 pm

Hi Guys,

I thought I'd just like to add something here.

I'm facing up and taking responsibility.

I'M FAT BECAUSE I EAT TOO MUCH AND MOVE TOO LITTLE.

But now I'm learning about how to change that and keep it going FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE and that is so exciting!!!

C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 2:54 pm

Yay Carole Jo! Ha ha ha! You really make me smile!
Kudos on taking ownership of your challenges!!!
Who needs denial and all that negative bad stuff?
Not us!!!
Long live the alliance!
Good on ya!
Love,
8) Deb