What if you don't have 14 minutes?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
reinhard
Site Admin

What if you don't have 14 minutes?

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:59 pm

Podcast inspired by one of Deb's recent posts:

http://everydaysystems.com/podcast/episode.php?id=20

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:36 pm

Aw thanks Rein! :)

I'm running to an interview for another job, but wanted to thank you for what you wrote on my other thread.. That was a sweet thing to say :wink:

I'll write more later.. I'm feeling better today and I'll be SG'ing this afternoon or evening.. I have to take Richie to the doctor because he's really sick with some kind of sinus infection or something..

But on this topic, people are so used to making excuses, as a way of life and as a bad habit, that it really takes a huge commitment to the decision to do the 14 minutes..

I agree with your podcast about the "big picture" problem..
Not only are you building a bad habit of *not* doing your workout, but you also get used to lying to yourself and accepting those lies an failures..
Then you feel worse about yourself for not keeping your own promise..

I'll probably write more when I'm not running to an interview.

Great to hear your voice!

I like when you said, "Anything is better than nothing"...
Once you start it really does feel sooooo great!

See you later!
Have a great day my friend :)
Peace and Love,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:49 pm

Thanks for directing my attention to that particular podcast. I've been getting so tired from standing on my feet at work that I have really been negligent with the formal exercise. I need to get moving!

zoolina

Post by zoolina » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:18 pm

A similar technique I've used when I thought I didn't have the umph to exercise is to say to myself "I'll do 5 minutes. If I want to stop after that, fine. If I want to keep going, I'll keep going as long as I want." 95% of the time I would keep going as long as I usually did. And when, after 5 minutes I decided that yes, I really had no interest in exercise I would stop, guilt free.