Pact of Blood!

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
gratefuldeb67

Pact of Blood!

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:52 pm

Yahooooooooooooooooooooooramalamadingdong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just totally breezed through my 14 minutes!!!!!!
Success!!!!!
This is awesome :D !!!!!!
Today was the first day I have felt well in about 7 days, I thought I'd be really weak and measley and puny, but I was totally energized and good ol'Jerry was ringin his bell up in Franklins Tower!!!!! It's interesting how many mental roadblocks we put in our way eh? Once you get going, it is alway fun... Must remember this!!!!!!!!

I smashed in some drawbridge gates with my battering ram tonight! That was fun :lol: (You call it "stoke the oven")

This is unbelievable! I guess I've gotten acclimated to holding my body up (all 200+ some odd lbs...Big mama here....) in my Yoga class for 90 minutes... It sure has increased my stamina... I am truly stunned!
I am recommitting to a minimum of 3 SG days a week, to be combined with my 4-5 days a week of Yoga...
The days are getting longer and I know I can squeeze in that measley 14 minutes!
Reinhard, you are a freakin genius!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Love and Endorphins :lol:
8) Deb
Founder,
Pact of Blood
Anyone wanna start a fight?
Ariel? Kevin? LOL............

Ariel King

Post by Ariel King » Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:37 pm

Hi Deb! Congrats on the great workout!!! You sound really pumped and happy, and that's awesome to hear. Here's hoping your good health and strength will continue with no more setbacks!

edit: No thanks on the fight -- I know you would kick my you-know-what!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:18 pm

Ha ha! Kick your "you know what..."? Nah, in my business it's easier to use an elbow, not a foot!
Amen to your wish of wellness! No more setbacks please God!!!
Have a great one Ariel!
Love,
Deb

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:12 am

Success!!!Blood will spill tonight (I'm in a bad mood!)
Tried to pound my mattress with my hammer...
I don't really like the feeling it gives on my hands.. It hurts to hit something, even something soft...
Massage therapist must protect hands.... No more hitty stuff for me....
Have a good one all!
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Warrior Deb!
Pact of Blood
:wink:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:26 am

Ahhhh! Shovelglove on an S Day!!!
It's been a while, but I'm here today :wink:
I love the fact that if you are bored and blah, as long as you have a Shovelglove, you can remedy that in 14 minutes!
I love doing this!!!!!!!!!!
Hmmmm, seems like my "tough" hands are in need of some more toughening...Considering that I spend most of the week rubbing massage cream into peoples skin, I guess that's having a softening effect...That wood feels rough!!! LOL.... maybe I'll get out some sandpaper and smooth down the handle a bit more, as the little remaining polyurethane is kindof scraping on my thumb... and it also seems that my left hand and arm are stronger these days, than my right!
Weeeeeeeeiiiiiiird!!!
LOL.....
I can't lie... Taking breaks of more than a few days is really a nice way of making it hard to start each time.. Oh well... You'll see me when you see me... I don't want to make promises I can't keep, and with all the other things I've been adding into my life, I don't always keep up with this..
But, aside from Yoga, this is the most enjoyable, joy producing exercise I've been doing for years.... It used to take about 30 minutes of jogging to produce the same "happy" feeling I get from SG in only about 5 or 6 minutes... Ha ha!!!!!
Rock on people!
I'm still waving my Warrior Flag!
Rahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :twisted:
8) Deb
FSGPofB.......

oldfox

Post by oldfox » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:28 am

Deb get yourself some of those cool fingerless cycling gloves. They are really comfy and most even have a bit of padding.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:48 pm

Hey Foxy!
It's interesting that you are suggesting this, as I just found on of those leather, fingerless gloves in my closet yesterday... My brother's for biking...
Well actually, when I was SG'ing more, and my grip was more developed, it wasn't bothering me at all.... I am a massage therapist and prefer to feel what's going on, and at this point, hate the feeling of any restriction on my hands or wrists from either gloves or jewelery etc... I know I'd get annoyed by wearing them. All I need to do is keep picking up my Warhammer on a regular basis and my skin, and muscles will quickly adapt. It's just been some time... I've only SG'd a couple of times in the past 2 months since getting into Yoga, but before, I was doing it pretty much every week about 3-4 times a week...
Thanks for replying! Hope you're having fun, and please, won't you and your wife, cyber prick your fingers, and join into the "Pact of Blood"? We need some eccentric English people in our brother/sisterhood!
(You said you and she were a little nuts! LOL.....)
Peace
8) Deb

VanillaGorilla

Post by VanillaGorilla » Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:00 pm

Is this where I sign up to destroy stuff? 8) :lol:
Fall down seven times, get up eight.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:42 am

Ha ha ha!!!!!!!!

I am thrilled to have a giant gorilla on my side!
Let the destruction begin!!! I personally love to do a move that isn't sanctioned by the creator, which is an overhead, circular swing.. like twirling a ball and chain... But develop your grip first and clear all small children from the area....
8) Deb

sibyl

Post by sibyl » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:17 pm

I just started, but with an ordinary hammer...I promised the parents I wouldn't start swinging a sledgehammer until I had at least a week of regular exercise with something lighter (going from sedentary to sledgehammer is a bit of a jump, so I agreed).
I was doing this move where I started with the hammer straight overhead, and then swung down stopping just between my legs. It felt good, kind of stretchy along my back. Welll, I have cats, and during one rep the orange one, Tanis, came running up to see what 'mommy' was doing. I had to cut that swing short very quickly as I almost beaned him in his noggin! Silly cat!
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on its head".

Kevin

Animals are stupid...

Post by Kevin » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:31 pm

...in that they don't seem to understand the damage you could do. My dog wanders over every once in a while to investigate, and I chase him away before I continue. This is definitely an exercise to do without animals - or children - around.

If you want to "step up" from your claw hammer without going to a two-handed sledge hammer, you can buy something called a "setting hammer." It's a small sledge hammer that you use with one hand. The heads are typically four pounds. Should you become a full-fledged SGer, you can still use the setting sledge for one armed motions. I use mine all the time - it's great for developing forearm/grip strength and you can use it for circular motions that you just can't do with a 8-16 pound sledge hammer.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:27 pm

Hey Kev! Sounds like you could use your setting sledge like an Indian club.... Or make a brick driveway in your spare time :)
Love,
8) Deb

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:39 pm

We have two cats here. The older one (she's 17) knows enough to keep her distance, but the younger one (he's only 10), has to be right there where the action is. He is my ExerCat and likes to sit on my stomach when I do crunches, or wrap himself around my head when I am laying on the exercise mat. I have to really watch him when I get the sledghammer out!

I guess that what I have been thinking of as my "baby sledge" is actually a setting hammer--the head is 4 pounds and the overall weight is 6 pounds. I don't think I could do with more weight without injuring my left shoulder (old karate injury which will probably be with me for life :( ), but I am content. That, and the walking I do keep me pretty fit without killing myself.

JWL

Post by JWL » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:00 pm

OK, call me crazy, but I believe animals can learn. As Gandalf said in Lord of the Rings, "the burned hand teaches best; after that, advice about fire goes to the heart."

Anyway, my daughter has a toy poodle. Needless to say, he would be crushed like a bug under a boot by my sledge once I get going. So in order to teach him to stay clear whilst I shug, I allowed the hammer to hit him, gently but firmly, with little impact but it pushed him a couple of feet on the floor. It was a demonstration of The Power Of Shovelglove.

Since then, he's stayed clear...
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:09 pm

Hey Karate Jan!
High-ya!!!!!
:lol:

I just finished my "routine"... I was really freestyling for most of it...
I found a way of practicing a Yoga pose while holding the SG!!! The weight actually helps the stretch! Cool...
I also found a way of making "Hoist the Sack" seriously more difficult!
Try it if you are feeling masochistic! :lol:
Instead of working the SG in a straight up/down, orientation, do a medium forward lunge with your right leg bent and left leg straight putting your back in a line with your back leg (should be around 45 degrees to the floor), *then* try to do hoist the sack diagonally... Careful folks, the head *will* drag up your back as you do this, rather than just hang, so you have to go much more slowly so as not to hit a "speed bump" (like your vertebrae, or kidneys...) I can only do maybe 3 before I am dying!!!!
I think it's the additional friction or something that makes it harder...
My body feels good today... I'm enjoying the day too.
Hope everyone else is having fun!
8) Peace and Love,
Warrior Deb!!!

Rahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:18 pm

Beep
Last edited by gratefuldeb67 on Mon Jul 04, 2005 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sibyl

Post by sibyl » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:21 pm

Freakwich -
I know animals can learn. Some are just better at it than others, and Tanis isn't exactly the brightest bulb in the lamp. :roll:
I'm not that worried about the other two, but I'm going to have to figure out how to deal with Tanis - he's a clingy boy and a magnet for disaster.

Deb -
That sounds like some serious sack hoisting! You go!!
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on its head".

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:27 pm

Sibyl!
Reinhard has two cats and a 11 month old baby...
I bet he could give you some
"Catproofing" advice worth heeding!
Thanks for your "Hoist" cheering!!!
It feels great to be back with the SG stuff!
Love,
8) Deb

oldfox

Post by oldfox » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:46 pm

Sounds like Freakwitch didn't hurt the dog, just taught him that the sledge is not going to get out of his way like people do. You can't explain consequences to dogs since they don't speak English very well, you have to show them. Better to let the dog be aware of his own safety than be oblivious to the dangers. If he had not taught him this lesson he may well have gotten a dented cranuim instead of a shove. Now the thing with your son, Deb, that sounds like retaliation. Freakwitch was doing this as a lesson, not being mean.

JWL

Post by JWL » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:21 pm

yeah, you're pretty much on the money, oldfox. Nothing mean about it at all, I just wanted to communicate the danger of the sledge in a way he would understand. I was of course careful not to hurt him, just to give him a gentle demonstration of the sheer power behind the physics of shugging.

And, as Gandalf predicted, it worked; he stays out of my way now.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

JWL

Post by JWL » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:22 pm

btw, oldfox, where in cornwall do you live? I was "on holiday" in the UK back in March and spent some time in Lostwithiel.... gorgeous country there. Visited Tintagel and several other places there...
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:37 pm

Hey Warrior Deb,

Speaking of doing yoga with the sledge...

Have you seen the book "Iron Yoga" by Anthony Carillo yet? You can do many yoga positions with dumbbells, and I betcha they could all/mostly be adapted to the shovelglove. Amazon has it:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846

They also have a DVD that goes with the book.

Jammin' Jan

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:56 pm

Jammin Jan!!!
It's so funny that you should mention Anthony! He was my next door neighbor for two years, in the apartment complex I used to be at!!!! It's a small world! :D
He is such a sweet and terrific guy!
He's a major athelete, and has done like 4 Iron Man competitions...
I guess I love that Yoga so much that I'm seeing applications in many day to day movements which just feel like I'm practicing a pose (did that make any sense? LOL...)
But my main thing was doing Shovelglove there, and the Yoga was an afterthought... If I am really practicing the Yoga, I don't like to have anything else to deal with in my hands or any unnecessary gripping going on in my hands.
Thanks for writing my friend! I'll still check out Anthony's sites though...
Love and Peace,
8) Deb

oldfox

Post by oldfox » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:57 pm

Freakwitch,

I am currently on the South coast near Plymouth but I have been to Tintagel a few times. Yes it's some amazing countryside out here. Glad you had a memorable time. :D

JWL

Post by JWL » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:20 am

the south coast is breathtaking. I remember taking the train out from London, and coming around Exeter with the first views of the sea. Fantastic, all the way out. So gorgeous.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

Kevin

Jan, Karate injury, left shoulder

Post by Kevin » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:55 pm

Boy, does that sound familiar... I was holding pads for someone who disregarded the instructor's command to stop... and threw a viscious roundhouse at a pad after I relaxed. Ended up with a frozen left shoulder which, two years later, is finally beginning to loosen up.

Jan, I don't think you'd find that a six pound sledge hammer is unmanageable. The weight is really spread across both arms by the much longer handle. You can buy a six pound hammer with a 36" handle. About $20. You can even find them on Amazon if you can't find them in your local hardware store. I'm betting a neighborhood Tru Value or Ace Hardware could get one for you.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:31 pm

Kevin, the 6-pounder was what I was originally looking for, but couldn't find at Walmart. Guess I should walk across the parking lot (Urban Rangering!) to Menard's Big Box Store and see what they have.

When I started using my baby sledge, I could feel the muscles working, but now, the muscles get tired, but don't really feel worked, if you know what I mean.

The karate injury was interesting. We were living in the Virgin Islands and it was hot, hot, hot. The guy I was practicing with was sweating so bad the sweat was dripping off the end of his belt. We were doing controlled falls and he was supposed to break my fall, but his hands were so wet that he slid right off, and CRASH! I landed very hard on the mat on my left shoulder. That was about a dozen years ago, and I still have to watch it, although on a daily basis, I'm not in any pain and I have full range of motion.

I like doing Shovelglove -- the circular motions I do with it seems to help. Kinda like tai chi with a weight, I suppose.

Anyway, I'll look around for a 6-pound and see how it feels. Think they'll mind if I do 14 minutes in the aisle at the store?

sibyl

Post by sibyl » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:52 pm

Tell 'em its an 'exercise demonstration' to help them sell more sledges and they just might...

:lol:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:18 pm

Jammin Jan!
Just make sure you watch out for innocent customers passing by! LOL...
I actually took Richard to *two* hardware/home centers (Home Depot and Lowes...) a few months ago when I was considering getting a 16 lb sledge, and getting him a 6 or 8 lbder...
We did practice for at least 8 minutes in the aisle.... (well Richard did it for more like 2 minutes! Hee hee.. such a cutiepie!!!)
It's crucial to see how it feels, before you buy... So why not?
Oh, I didn't get the upgrade that time, because I didn't like both the fiberglass feeling or look of the handle, and it was a little too expensive at the time...
But that 8 minutes really felt great!!!
Richard said to me, as we were going back to the parking lot, "My arms are going to fall off!!!!" LOL!!!!!
He hasn't asked me for his own shovelglove since then... :lol:
Peace,
8) Deb

VanillaGorilla

Post by VanillaGorilla » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:23 am

gratefuldeb67 wrote:Ha ha ha!!!!!!!!

I am thrilled to have a giant gorilla on my side!
Let the destruction begin!!! I personally love to do a move that isn't sanctioned by the creator, which is an overhead, circular swing.. like twirling a ball and chain... But develop your grip first and clear all small children from the area....
8) Deb
I do a similar move to that already, actually....lol
As I said previously, I basically cop all my "moves" from the movies, etc.

I have a pretty good grip already from using a 2" thick barbell and some very good grippers I bought quite sometime ago. I am currently "coming back" so to speak. I was very ill for about three months and lost about 30 pounds and a lot of strength. Slowly but surely, the warrior spirit (And hopefully about 20 pounds... :lol: ) is returning!

My girlfriend and I were in a hardware store over the July 4th weekend and I wandered over to the hammers looking to purchase a heavier one. She came over and asked me what in the world I was looking at hammers for and then proceeded to answer her own question. Needless to say, at her request I did not buy one that weekend. (Actually, it was only because they did not have anything heavy enough for my taste...But she thought she got her way, so it's all good....haha!)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:21 pm

What's her objection Vanilla? I can't understand her problem?
Fill me in on her reason....
I want to tell you, "Just do it!" but I also think it's important not to have these domestic disputes....
Also no need for being secretive on something this health promoting and fun!
Peace,
8) Deb

VanillaGorilla

Post by VanillaGorilla » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:11 am

gratefuldeb67 wrote:What's her objection Vanilla? I can't understand her problem?
Fill me in on her reason....
I want to tell you, "Just do it!" but I also think it's important not to have these domestic disputes....
Also no need for being secretive on something this health promoting and fun!
Peace,
8) Deb
Her objection was that I might get the bright idea to try swinging it amidst 4th of July celebrations after one too many ales... :lol:

Actually, she could care less that I do it. She knows I use one in my workout routine as it is. As I said and I was being serious, they actually did not have anything heavy enough for me to purchase. If they had, I would have bought it and she might have busted my chops a bit, but she would not have been angry at all.