what about drinks?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ann99m

what about drinks?

Post by ann99m » Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:17 am

Hi everyone,

i just started yesterday and it's going pretty well so far. one thing i'm not sure on though is drinks...

*i dont drink a lot of soda, but just happened to have root beer with my lunch today. is soda considered an S or a sweet?

*what about other types of drinks with sugar in them? i sometimes have the carnation instant breakfast drinks as (or with) breakfast or other times also.

*what about alcoholic drinks? any recommendations on those? i dont drink tons but do like to kick back with a few beers, especially now since the nicer weather for hanging outside and cookouts is coming around.

ann99m

whoops

Post by ann99m » Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:02 am

i just looked over the nosdiet.com page again and found several answers to some of my questions so sorry about the ones that have already been answered!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:20 pm

No problem, Ann, it's pretty well tucked away.

A direct link for the similarly confused:

http://nosdiet.com/#drinks

In a nutshell: if it's a drink with more sugar than you would ever pour into your coffee, it's an S (sorry, but the drinks you mention sound like they fall into this category). Otherwise don't worry about it unless you are really running out of things to worry about it.

Hope you found everything you were looking for.

Julia

What about fruit juice?

Post by Julia » Wed May 04, 2005 3:26 pm

Does fruit juice count as an S (just one glass of orange or pineapple with lunch, say)?

Thanks for the website, by the way. I found it today. I feel hope at last that there is an approach that might work if I work it. I've started immediately. Hoping not to have to go for the full 12 failures but instead to be like Reinhard.

Julia

Justin

Re: What about fruit juice?

Post by Justin » Wed May 04, 2005 5:18 pm

Julia wrote:Does fruit juice count as an S (just one glass of orange or pineapple with lunch, say)?

Thanks for the website, by the way. I found it today. I feel hope at last that there is an approach that might work if I work it. I've started immediately. Hoping not to have to go for the full 12 failures but instead to be like Reinhard.

Julia
I was really surprised at how much sugar is added to some juices. I'd take a look at the label. I think I remember seeing nearly 30g of sugar added to many of them -- that's the same as a cola! :evil: So much for juice being more healthy. Then again, I did find a juice the other day that was 100% grapefruit juice -- that's it.

J

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed May 04, 2005 8:20 pm

Welcome, Julia. Fruit juice (if it is actually just fruit juice and not fruit flavored sugar water) is legit, but do be aware that juice, however natural, is pretty caloric stuff. As long as you're not drinking more than the juice equivalent of a couple of oranges a glass, I wouldn't worry about it at all -- enjoy, it's good for you. But a big glass of tropicana can contain juice from more oranges than you would ever care to squeeze. It's an excess that doesn't seem obvious until you translate it into pieces of fruit (but then it's striking). Yes, fruit is great, but would you ever eat five oranges in five minutes? People routinely drink as much. That's one reason (besides the fact that it tastes better) that I prefer to squeeze my own. And even if you squeeze just occasionally, it gives you the ability to visually spot translate "glasses" to more compelling "pieces".

But this is fine tuning. I suspect that very few people really have a problem with fruit juice. If they do, it's one of many (and far worse) others. Stick with the clear cut calls until you build your habit and then worry about borderline stuff like this if you still want to.

navin

Beware the fructose

Post by navin » Thu May 05, 2005 12:17 am

Definitely take a look at the label. Stuff that is 100% fruit juice is best... though even its calories can add up if you drink too much.

And make sure it says "Juice". If it says "Drink", it's probably pretty much sugar water. Also, if you see "High Fructose Corn Syrup" as one of the ingredients, stay far, far away. It is basically sugar - the same sweetener they use for sodas, very high in calories.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu May 05, 2005 3:13 pm

So if I have an 8 ounce glass of 100% orange juice or apple juice with my breakfast, then that's okay, right? Not sure how many oranges or apples that would be equivalent to, but 8 ounces seems like a reasonably sized serving.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu May 05, 2005 3:23 pm

Jan, 8 ounces sounds totally fine. Enjoy!

Julia

Post by Julia » Fri May 06, 2005 10:20 am

Thanks all. Really helpful. I realised there were a lot of calories in fruit juices so wasn't sure where they fitted in. I will definitely look out for juice not drink, as advised, and will keep it down to one glass with my lunch. That way it looks like I won't simply be kidding myself I'm following NoS while actually just finding a way round it.

On a similar subject, I was horrified to notice how much sugar is in one of those tiny 'digestive' yogurt drinks (Actimel and the like -- do you get them in the US?). The ones in my fridge have nearly 18g a shot! No wonder I like them so much.

Julia

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri May 06, 2005 11:11 am

On your hierarchy of drinks, you did not list my favorite. When I am at a restaurant and my friends are all guzzling the soda pop or beer, I am happily sipping a club soda with lime slices. No sugar, no calories, lots of fizz.