Shamrockmommy's Daily Checkin

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

FarmerHal

Shamrockmommy's Daily Checkin

Post by FarmerHal » Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:50 pm

Day one of my first 21 days.
So to help me keep track this is set "A" day 1.

Today, so far is success, but it's an S day. I choose to interpret S days as a choice among the 3 s's, unless it's a special occasion which is very limited like say christmas dinner with family. Grazing sortof just happens as the hors'de'erves are made. Overall though on S days I will try to NOT be an idiot!!

Ok.
So today had oatmeal/bananas and decaf w/creamer. Yummy.

Lunch was chick fil a

Supper I think we're having noodles w/pesto and italian bred with some tomato topper.

Not sure what dessert (my chosen S) will be.

I am feeling hungry inbetween meals. this is really a foreign feeling to me! I am not used to it being there reminding me that I could eat a whole sleeve of Ritz crackers or a hunk of cheese, or maybe some chips or a bagel with peanut butter and jelly to 'tide me over' as if I were going to starve to death between meals. What a moron I was being!

Should I mention that I have had acanthosis nigricans since childhood which is a skin darkening condition caused by excess insulin which is deposited in skinfolds, causing dark, thickenen skin in fold areas, like the back of my neck, armpits, knees, elbows and knuckles. I only fully understood what it was by reading about it a couple years ago. I got an official diagnosis and basically a shrug off by my doctor (military) which is not really a doctor but a PA. Fortunately according to a fasting blood test my glucose levels are good. BUT it sits there and reminds me how fast things could go wrong.

I want to take my measurements just in case I do lose weight.
I wan tto keep nos in a simple way to myself, not complex, no bargaining or switching around.

I'll report at the end of the day if I have a sensible S day.
Shamrockmommy

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:25 pm

Had a good S day overall yesterday. My S turned out to be a carmel pecan brownie slice from Panera. DIdn't realize also that Panera has baked breads and bagels there too. Might try those instead of store bought bread. Maybe.
FOr supper, I allowed myself to really pile it on the plate. It was a TON of food, probably enough for 2 people to eat, honestly. I could only eat half of it before I felt gross. Yay for me :)

Today, day 2, is an S day also. Not sure what the S will be. But I can be sure that it's not going to be a snack. Snacking doesn't even seem worth it anymore, really.
So seconds or sweet, not sure.

So far I am doing well following noS rules. But I have ot be realistic and say there may be a setback at some point. I get really stressed when dh is gone and those are my very vulnerable times.

Anyway, I started at 240lbs. Today I woke up hoping maybe just a little bit would have come off.
237.5!! said the scale! In a little over one day just eating like a normal person should.

Holding hope for more success, can't wait to see what the first 21 days brings me. I can do it I can do it...

Kwag Myers

Post by Kwag Myers » Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:32 pm

Sounds like you're doing great--yipee!

Now, I'm going to offer you some unsolicited advice, so take it or leave it... I think you should stay far, far away from the scales. Just from what I've read about you in your posts, I think jumping on the scales to see if you've lost weight and using that number as the determining factor of whether or not No-S is working for you is a bad idea. There are so many things that you have absolutely no control over that affect the number on the scale--it really is an arbitrary number. You will be able to tell OVER TIME by the way your clothes fit, by the way your face suddenly looks different, by how people begin to comment on your weight loss, etc. But those things take time...and I sense (I could be very wrong...) that if you don't see drastic results immediately, you'll abandon the plan altogether.

I think it would be far better to guage your success based solely on how well you're adhering to the rules of the plan. If you do the behaviors repeatedly, you are bound to get the desired result of weight loss, but it's probably going to be at a pace much slower than you want. Remember, though, who won the race between the tortise and the hare. You have to trust the process.
"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time." --James Taylor

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:27 pm

that' sgreat advice Kwag! No scale for me. I think you're right that if I have a gain or something or no loss I will quit nosing all together and go back to the old way.

You are a great help and a true inspiration.

:)

Sorry so short, dd is in my lap :)

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:56 pm

Thanks everyone :)
my first N day was a SUCCESS!!
Yesterday went very very well!! I carried water with me around the house all day (was already a big water drinker, I love ice water!), walked on my treadmill for 1/2 hr (and didn't feel 'pressured' to run and be all crazy on the thing, just a nice 3mph walk, which was liberating in itself, since I told myself it was ok to just walk!) and it was SO nice here (70+!!) which is 20 degrees above normal, that I took 2yr old ds and dd in the front carrier down to the shoreline on a 1/2 mile walk. Saw 2 beautiful swans there also and ds found some nice rocks to look at also.

I did get hungry but I am choosing to interpret hunger differently...
Hunger: I am burning calories elsewhere. My body is not wasting energy on digestion, so it can (and has!)turn it's attention to healing and renewing other areas of my body. I honestly am not going to keel over and die if I don't eat between meals.

Last Saturday and Sunday were S days, but I did make sure to eat sensibly at meals and I only snacked once on Sunday between Lunch and Dinner.

Ok so here's the part about my body healing other parts... I have acanthosis nigricans, which I mentioned on my checkin page. It causes thickened skin where skin and joints fold due to excess insulin spilling around my body. Well I have always had a thickened skin area onthe top of my foot where toes attach to the foot. Very embarassing because it's dark and the skin is thick- looks like it's 'dirty' but usually no matter how hard I scrub, it stays the same.

So took a nice bubble bath last night and set upon foot washing, only to discover that the thick skin sloughed off and my foot looks pretty normal!!
I don't know if it's a coincidence or not but wow! There's still a little area of thickened skin but not like it was just days ago.

I am going to have to freshen my knowlege on insulin resistance again (acanthosis nigricans is a symptoms of that).

Anyway, there's an update for you. I am trying to hold my enthusiasm back a bit because certainly I'll have some sort of setback at some point but what a difference. I don't feel all gassy and bloaty and tired lately either!

Would love to hear about everyone else's experiences when first starting nosing.

Thaks for the support again!

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:11 am

Today is another N day and it was a SUCCESS!! Woohoo!

I am feeling munchy right now but I am resisting it, drinking water and will get through tonight.

Bought some Bob's Red Mill whole grain hot cereal. I used to make it now and again. Went grocery shopping last night and a lot of what I bought was organic.
Baby steps.

I also ADORE balsamic vinegar for sauteeing veggies :)

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sat Dec 23, 2006 2:10 am

Thurs and Friday (today) were both successes. Although tonight I had a hard boiled egg at 9pm because my stomach was growling and carrying on (I am breastfeeding also- lots of calories needed for that too). I had too light of a supper, just vegetable soup and no protein to speak of so I tihnk that's where I went wrong. I still think today is a success though <shrugs> Feel like if I went to bed this hungry it would keep me up all night.

Hooray for S days- 3 in a row... ok DON"T be an IDIOT !!! :lol:

hexagon

Post by hexagon » Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:00 am

Sounds like you're doing well, Shamrockmommy. That egg could probably be included with virtual plating, anyway.

Have a great holiday!

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:53 am

Well the 3 day Christmas S days were really satisfying! I really didn't go overboard too much, with the exception of the homemade russian tea cakes (drool!!). Wow. could eat a whole bunch of those mommas!

Christmas Eve, I made an outstanding pork roast with a spinach stuffing (in the roast), served with pan gravy and roasted chipotle asparagus. This meal was SO delicious. May have been my best work yet!

Christmas I made a turky with alton brown's 'romancing the bird' recipe and the breast meat was aaaaaah so moist and juicy and it was so stinkin good!!

Had squash and mashed potatoes/gravy and choc chip cookies- which were out of a box just add water type ones, but it was all organic and made with whole wheat and such. Different but still delicious.

Very satisfying S days, great food, good times. Today was an N day and it was a success!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:01 pm

Your Christmas food sounds wonderful and you returned to no-s so well! Congratulations on a successful holiday!

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:26 pm

Thanks Jan :)

In only a week and a half, I have really come to *appreciate* good food- I use a lot more flavor- herbs, spices. Learning how to make veggies more appealing and then since I almost always Want to overeat at each meal, I make plenty of veggies and pig out on them- they taste yummy, so why not!? :) Plus they're much tastier than any junk can be.

Over Christmas, w/the exception of those tea cakes lol, I found most of the other cookies to be a bit bland whereas pre NoS, I would have pigged out on them.

Am also noticing that I don't like the 'fake' taste of over processed foods. I really am looking forward to every meal. Last night was kindof hard, I felt the stomach monkey trying to convince me I should have a snack but I did my best and ignored it.
HOpefully today will be a successful N day as well.

I'm down about 5lbs now. My weight keeps going up/down a couple. I will need to tighten up my eating once my daughter weans to see if that helps. Plus get on the treadmill and shovelglove more.

That's it for now. Best wishes to all for successful N days :)

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:13 am

Today is another successful N day. Yay :)

I am reeeally enjoying food though and I'm quite hungry by mealtimes. But discovering different foods we haven't tried before and being surprised at how yummy they are.

Breakfast was actually a leftover turkey sandwich and some banana bread.
Lunch more leftovers from Th'sgiving.
Supper was grilled teriaki swordfish with broiled asparagus, couscous, breadstick and bunch of red grapes (never had before- they are So sweet!)

Very satisfying meals today. Yum.

Although I was having stomach monkey issues this afternoon. Thankfully dh came home early and the kids and he and I walked about 3 miles- down to the school playground and back. I'm not too pooped, not energized, just feel good.

So in all, a good day. Still, feeling like 'just 2 more days to another set of S days' though. Might be the breastfeeding, other bfing moms I talk to say they have ravenous appetites as well.

Yesterday, started DD on 1T of rice cereal at supper time. I'll be feeding her at supper time only for the next 3 months and then add a breakfast and so on. She LOVES rice cereal. She kicks and waves her arms and sticks her tongue out and swallows it right down. Very fun to watch :) Aaahh babies!

-S

FarmerHal

This is getting harder!

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:19 pm

:( I have not yet failed today but MAN, this is getting hard. I am hungry all the time. I don't know if it is because of nursing my dd exclusively (she's 4 months) but I'm eagerly anticipating every meal. Starving!

What can I do about this? I want so much to be successful at noS, and it is easy and is really working but yowza. Maybe my body will adjust but I am so looking forward to this weekend (s days).

I'm hanging in there!! :twisted: Evil stomach monkeys!!

-S

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Dec 29, 2006 2:48 pm

Well, after talking it over on the discussion board, I've decided to do 4 small meals and healthy snacks inbetween (apple, banana, etc) if I'm truly as starving as I have been lately. As dd nurses less in the future I'll eventually cut back to 3 meals on N days.

After an adjustment yesterday and a 4th small meal, yesterday was a success as well. :) I'm trying guys! I actually cried about this last night (adding another meal) I want SO badly to be successful! I felt truly defeated last night but everyone is right- when it comes to dd's health, that must come first for now. I think once she weans (in her own time) then the enormous appetite will wane aned I can move back down to 3 meals.

Anyway, :oops: feeling a bit sad but still perservering and developing new healthy habits... especially no sweets and NO MINDLESS EATING ANYMORE!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:23 pm

Why on earth would you feel sad about adding a 4th meal? Nurse your sweet baby, and enjoy yourself! :D

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:23 pm

Jan, I feel sad just because I could perceive a 4th meal as a failure.

Today though, I feel better about it. Yesterday I didn't even need a 4th meal bu tthat may be due to the bad chinese I ate (but didn't keep down- wugh!).

Thanks for everyone's support, Have a great New Year!

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:03 am

Well lets see where I left off...

Sat, sun and today (Happy New Year!!) were all S days. Today I think I did the worst of the eating. I feel out of control a bit. Polished off a whole pint of ben&jerry's cookie dough ice cream. Yum. But then I felt gross.

Feeling some stress because both kids (2 1/2 and 4 months) have been stinkin' crabby! If one's not whining or crying, the other is throwing a tantrum and breaking things.

Ugh.

Gearing up for 4 N days this week. I can't wait to get back on track and I hope I feel better. One thing I do NOT like at all wrt overeating is that I visit the loo an awful lot... bleh. not fun. Garbage in, garbage out I guess.

As I type both kids are fussing, so i'll go.

Wish it were nicer so we could get outside and play and walk more. B leh.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:51 am

success!

Today went well. I was feeling a bit 'off' though, very tired and just yucky feeling in general. Feeling better now though.

B'fast was a yogurt, a hb egg, a bagel (rock hard!) in slices dipped in cashew butter. this sounds like a lot of food but it was a small bagel. Coffee w/creamer.

Lunch was 2 small slices of pizza (frechetta, yummy) and milk

Dinner was SO SO good!! Filet mignon, sweet potato, broiled asparagus. Good. Soy milk.

Having a coffee (decaf) now and trying to cut back on the creamer and get used to it being just black in the evenings.

In all, a good day for me. No snacking whatsoever an dI am finding I don't even have a desire to snack. So far so good!

ETA: Today I was in the grocery store for diapers and as I was in the checkout line I burned up the time by people watching. I saw this one lady, probably in her 50s, could be younger but since she was veyr over weight, it was hard to say. She probably was close to 350. She wore the comfy sweats and hair in a pony tail. in the express lane, she had soda, ice cream, chips and bread. She looked like her feet hurt the way she was shifting. She looked happy on the outside but you coudl see the hurt in her eyes. I don't know who the food was for.

Then I think about myself. Is *that* where I want to be at that age? Or should I be enjoying life, my family, the outdoors, my dogs?
I guess people watching can be motivating in itself, since in the overweight you see the sadness in people's eyes, you can see by their gait that their feet or knees or whathaveyou hurts them. They pant and they sweat just walking around a store. Some even ride in those convenience carts that zip around the store. I don't think that's where I woudl want to be.

I am obese already. could get worse, could get better. What will I choose today?

Thoughts by Shamrockmommy.....

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:48 pm

Day 19. Going well. Yesterday was an N day and successful. My insatiable appetite seems to have waned a bit. I think it might have to do with the decaf coffee in the evening which has really helped to settle my stomach. I am down to just 1 T of creamer, trying to learn to like more of the coffee taste than the creamer taste. Not too bad so far.

Today going well. Hopefully it will be another success. 2 more days to my first set of 21, I can't believe it~ I hope I don't screw it up lol.

FarmerHal

January Monthly Resolution

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:16 pm

I resolute to NOT weigh myself for the entire month of January. I may weigh in Feb. 1. This is to hopefully help me stop obsessing about my weight (numbers) and feeling defeated if it doesn't drop.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:45 pm

If you really like creamer in your coffee, maybe skim milk would work as well. Low-cal and fat free.

Sounds like you're really doing well on no-s!

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:21 am

Meh. Did pretty good today. No snacking or sweets and whatnot. I did end up having to eat a 4th meal DD is really nursing practically nonstop, since she had her shots yesterday and she's feeling really cruddy, poor thing. She wants only mommy all the time.

:oops:

Trying to to feel like I failed even though I really didn't.

Tomorrow is day 20... just 2 days away from getting my very first 21, on only my first try. I want to accomplish this. I'm really really happier nosing for sure. I guess for the time while I'm breastfeeding I will have to listen to my body.

I did try several large glasses of water before I decided on the 4th meal tonight.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:00 pm

Did good overnight. though dd was nursing a ton, so I did get some early morning hungries but a glass of water took care of that.

I dreamed that I was on day 20 (which is today!) of successful NoSing and I decided to go get a piece of bundt cake. It had a sparkly orangy glaze on it LOL. Well that quickly turned into chocolate chip soup LOL LOL and I was feeling SO bad about ruining my N day LOL what with only 1 more day for my first set LOL.

Goofy.

This morning successful so far. Had a HB egg, bowl of cereal and toast. Yes I was very hungry after a loooong night. DD was up of course and ds was up twice. He was muttering "Never wanna go to bed." I am not sure he was totally awake LOL.

ETA: Some other thoughts. I am really starting to appreciate healthy food and food that is presented on the plate that looks pretty. For instance. We had beef tenderloin, grilled, with couscous and broiled asparagus (tossed lightly in olive oil and then sprinkled w/one of the Mrs. Dash medleys). It looked so pretty on the 9" terra cotta colored dinner plate. Added a few apple slices on the rim- wow. A pretty meal!

Then last night was sauteed pork tenderloin (tenderest I think I've ever made it!) with steamed baby carrots and mashed whole baby potatoes with sour cream and chives mixed in. Even DS was thrilled with the mashed potatoes. Plated all together with a bunch of grapes on the side- preety and delicious. Very satisfying.

SO although I've always loved food, I think now I really appreciate it. Not only is is pretty and delicious but the veggies nourish me, the protein helps my body rebuild. Getting healthy fats like olive oil has helped my skin and healthy carbs give me energy.

More than that though noS has given me emotional freedom. My DH noticed. I asked him a few nights ago jokingly if he saw any changes in me. He paused for a moment and then said "Well, you're a lot happier!" Which means So so so much to me! I used to spend every day beating myself up, feeling hopeless and sad that I just kept eating all day and then sad that I'd probably gained even more weight that day.. vicious cycle. NOw though, I have control over my food, over myself and each day is more joyful than before.

My monthly resolution of not weighing myself until Feb 1 is driving me a bit batty LOL. Because I always weighed myself every day- and that usually would set the tone for how I felt emotionally that day. This weighing myself ruins my day, every day. I'm feeling happier now w/out that dangling over my head BUT I can't help but admit feeling a little worried- what if my weight is creeping back up or something? I guess I'll find out Feb. 1. A very exciting weigh in day. It might be my monthly resolution for 2007- weigh myself on the first of the month each month and that's it.

Well this is really getting bloggy. But I feel good writing about it.

-Shamrockmommy

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:00 pm

DAY 21 of my FIRST SET of 21 Days!!!!!!!!

I am so proud of myself! I did it!

Of course today is an S day but it doesn't mean I even want to go overboard with snacking or seconds. Probably a sweet though! ;)

What have I learned?

Food doesn't cover up any feelings. The feelings will still be there. It's easier to acknowledge the feelings and try to move on, without stuffing my body with unnecessary bad foods!

I am feeling better. MUCH less gas and bloating. Fewer trips to the potty. That really was starting to wear on me (TMI sorry lol).

I am a happier person. Even though I do get hungry sometimes, I don't have that battle with constant attention to food, constant grazing and justifying it to myself by saying that I'm "hungry."

It's ok to modify it a bit because of nursing my DD. THis is on thing I'm very proud to be doing for her. :) I take an extra meal as needed and healthy snacks (very rarely though, but I leave the option for myself).

I have also learned about monthly resolutions (Thanks Reinhard!). These make far more sense than nearly unachievable yearly resolutions.

I am no longer sad, depressed and hopeless by day's end. Even DH said I'm happier. I feel happier! I feel free!

:)

It is good to be noSing. Tomorrow starts set 2 of another 21 days :)

As an aside. We decided on kFC for supper since we were both tired and didn't want to cook. Well it was more like "extra greasy" instead of extra crispy. Gross. We both felt terrible after and the potato wedges, which I used to love were really very flavorless and bland to me. Baked beans weren't too bad though. But yuck. I used to eat this stuff ALL the time. I was literally grossed out and wanting to vomit! lol KFC is on the blacklist now. How I was wishing we had done subway instead!

-Shamrockmommy

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Sun Jan 07, 2007 4:38 am

Congrats on your first 21 and the on the great success in improving your health and happiness!!

BTW......KFC use to be one of my favorite quickie dinners too but one day we picked some up and it was only half cooked and ever since then I can't stand the thought of it. I guess that's good because it definitely is NOT good for you.
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying

zoolina

Post by zoolina » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:22 am

ShamrockMommy,

Awsome! You did it. Keep up the good work...

And by the way, good luck with the not weighing. I have the same problem--weigh myself every morning and even if it's just a little up I feel so down. Down with weighing!

Zoolina

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:00 pm

Thanks everyone! Yes, Zoo, ban the scale to once a month. Besides, the mirror does just as good... sortof :)

Today going to start my 2nd set of 21 days. Yesterday (sunday an S day) I went pretty much goofy and didn't eat very well. I know it doesn't count on S days but still. I let my brain have a breather.

TOday is my 2nd set of 21. Day one.

The ground rules for my N days are again: 3 meals a day with option of 4th meal (small) and healthy snacks (apple, banana) as needed since I am breastfeeding my 4 mo old exclusively. NO weighing myself till Feb 1.

I am doing pretty good. There are days when E nurses a LOT and I wind up starving and other days I do fine w/the 3 meals.

This has been SO worth it!

Yesterday since I went completely idiot on eating, I feel pretty cruddy. Yesterday I was gassy and bloaty. Feeling a bit better today. It's nice to be back on track. My body thanks me!

Best wishes to all for happy N days!

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:16 pm

Yesterday was a success But still kindof a crappy stressful day and I'm glad it's over.

Ended up eating lunch at 11am and what with everything crappy going on didn't eat supper til 9pm!

Bleh. :oops:

gettnbusy

Post by gettnbusy » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:57 pm

Sorry about your stressful day :cry:
~I'm still not perfect~
~Sophie~

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:52 pm

Thanks Gettinbusy.

Well yesterday continued to be crappy and it was a big fat FAILURE by the afternoon.
Honestly, I didn't eat near enough for breakfast (bowl of kix) or lunch (mac n cheese) so by the afternoon when my 2 yr old and my 4mo were crabby and unreasonable and dh not being very helpful and me not having any friends in teh area (we just moved across country), I had HAD it and the eating began.

I snacked and Ihad seconds.

So today (wednesday) starting over. Day 1 of 21.

Update for the afternoon.

Had a nice breakfast of bob's red mill whole grain cereal with honey and 1% milk, hard boiled egg and apple slices.
Lunch was a beef/cheese hoagie with handful of chicken in a biscuit (I haven't had these in YEARS lol they are kindof yummy, not as yummy as I remember but anyway) soy milk and an apple again.

Tonight I think is going to be beef stir fry.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:55 pm

Yesterday SUCCESS, today FAILURE. Don't even have to wait till tonight to check in. :( Have had some crappy days, and I'm eating out of stress, sortof as a refuge or break. Top it off I really am feeling hungry again.

I could maybe count it as a healthy snack that I was allowing myself. I guess I need to re-evaluate.

I got up at 6am, which is way early for me/us. I ate b'fast then and so by 9am was starving, had a bagel, then lunch an dnow snack.
I guess we'll jsut call it all a failure and start over again tomorrow.

Geez I was SO stubborn for success the first 21 and now I'm having trouble getting it together. Maybe I need to weigh myself.

Am also fighting a current flare up of an autoimmune disease, so that tops everything off. Bleh.
Hope tomorrow is better

arl0401

Post by arl0401 » Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:21 pm

The hardest year of my life was when I had a toddler and a new baby. Hang in there, it gets better.
Anne

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:40 pm

Thanks arlo.

Today is day 1 again. Yesterday I did great until the evening when DH brought down fresh baked cinnamon rolls. I had a bag of carrots for my healthy snack since I was hungry (see my conditions above) but I went for a roll instead.

Better luck today.
B: fruitloops and wheat thins! But they fit on the plate LOL
L: turkey and cheese bagel sandwich with some sociables and a bunch of grapes. Soy milk.

Not sure what supper will be.

I am feeling better after my recent flare up of AS (ankylosing spondylitis) thankfully.
Get it together!!!!!

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:21 pm

Ok. Day 2. Yesterday (day 1) was a success. I did take 2 snacks throughout the day. DD is nursing like crazy and having a growth spurt at the moment. I swear she weighs a ton! :)

Today to start off with 3 small whole grain waffles with cashew butter.
Not sure on lunch or supper.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:34 am

Day 3 is a success. I opted for an afternoon snack. DD has been nursing a lot. I had whole grain organic wheat crackers. Ok so they're my weakness but they were whole grain, organic, nothign really terrible in them.

I am starting to doubt myself again. I need to reread the good things I've learned from noS.

I will not DIE of hunger. Really.
Hunger means my body is rebuilding and burning calories elsewhere.
Eating is not going to cover up any stress I am currently experiencing. Acknowledge the issue for what it is and move on.

It's been hard though, and I don't know if it's because I'm bfing. I do hear from other bfing moms that they are starving all day long through the first 6 months. I don't remember what it was like with DS because I wasn't dieting at that point. If I was hungry, I ate.

I broke my monthly resolution LOL. Can you see where annual resolutions are really pointless?

I am down 10 POUNDS!! Even though I feel like I've been floundering around the past week, 10 pounds in a month is WOW!

I feel like I'm capable of more though, so I'm going to keep trying. Tomorrow is another noS day and I really need to plan my meals better so I am well nourished.

`S

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:28 pm

Well today's a bomb.
I dunno. Maybe I need to take a break until my kids are just a little older and dd is weaned? I fight appetite for days and then kaPOW I binge like I just did :evil:

Did I mention I haven't slept more than an hour at t time with DD for the last 4 nights. I'm pooped. I'm tired. I feel like sleeping. I dont' want to do anything. Bleh.
I know it gets better, and although I don't want to wish DD's infancy away, I do look very much forward to the time when she'll sleep through the night, like DS.

Bleh.

I'm going to try harder for the rest of the day.
I feel bloated and gross after that binge. Cookie dough and bread.
Bleh Bleh

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:30 pm

Yesterday (sat) and today went pretty well, considering they are S days.
I stepped on the scale this morning and saw 229.5! Wow. Even after my week of struggling- must be all the bfing!
I measured my waist last night, I should have done it when I was still 240 a month ago, but anyway, it was 45" yikes!
I saw yesterday on You on a Diet on discoveryhealth that women's waists should be no more than 32" which is what it was when I was a senior, and I practically starved myself to get there back then. I ate nothing for b'fast, a bowl of minute rice with butter for lunch and one baked potato, microwaved with butter for supper and that was it. I did that for 3 months over the summer and when I got back to school for my senior year everyone was amazed- I had lost 30lbs. I was still the reject and people still called me fat or teased that I should be a linebacker. I was 150lbs back then.
Ugh. I hate kids. They're so cruel. Maybe they're all fat like me now!

10.5 lbs.
It's 2 bags of flour. A small bag of dog food.

I think my new monthly resolution will be to weigh myself on Mondays or maybe Fridays. Can't decide. Hmm.. How about Saturday mornings?
Sounds good.
Saturday mornings.

1. I will not die of hunger, honestly!
2. My body is able to heal elsewhere instead of working on digestion all the time.

I binged pretty good yesterday and as a result I felt bloaty and gassy and yucky. I did NOT like it at all. Had a sensible breakfast this morning and I am feeling better already.
I find myself craving veggies lately too, I like how I feel when I eat them.

Today is 5 nights of crappy sleep. I don't knwo what is up wiht dd, but she wakes up just about every hour to nurse and I'm exhausted. I feel like maybe I slept better last night but yesterday I could hardly keep my eyes open. Bleh.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:52 pm

Had a good weekend. I always enjoy the S days. Felt a wee bit guilty though because I've done so crappy all week (nevermind teh sleep deprivation with my baby lol).

Anyway, today has been successful. Even had to use my modifications (healthy snacks) twice already today. DD is nursing a lot. I had started her on solids (rice cereal) but they were causing her tummy a lot of distress, poor thing, so she is back to momma's milk only. Which means a lot of nursing to build my supply back up for her.
I know this will get better later on once she weans, then I will become VERY seroius about Nosing for sure (I hope!)

I love that I have allowed myself failures though. Usually with most diets, I just give up and go back to the old way. I get to allow myself forgiveness, which is great. this is good for me.

So today, b'fast was a whole wheat bagel w/cream cheese and a soy milk. Probably should have had a fruit and an egg, but I haven't boiled the eggs I bought yet.
Had a snack (granola munchers- granola triangle chips basically, 100 calorie packs)
Lunch was some of ds's mac n cheese with chicken tenderloins sauteed in evoo wiht rosemary, thyme and marjoram. I let them get some nice golden brown color... yummy! with a whole heap o'green beans with some bacos (real bacon pieces) tossed in for flavor. Nothing's worse than plain, boring veggies, that's for sure.
Another snack, a very sweet red delicious apple. (Do you know I really wanted to whip up some COOKIE DOUGH! I acknowledged this and moved on)

Tonight.... dunno. Probably should make something in the oven or something. DH is out of town till later tonight, would be nice for him to have somethign yummy to come home to. Have to go poking around upstairs to see what I can come up with.

I appreciate that it's OK to modify my nosdiet for now. I don't know if bfing is a big enough excuse to allow snacks, I guess it probably is, since I hear it burns 500+ calories per day!
Anyway, so glad to be a part of this group and to draw on everyone else's successes and encouragement :)

Tiffani
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Ray E.

Post by Ray E. » Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:14 pm

My wife's appetite increased greatly whenever she was breast feeding. She's not a big snacker, but she would three meals that were very filling. She also drank quite a bit of milk and water during these times. Maybe drinking a large glass of milk as a snack will tide you over between meals? You certainly need the nutrients while breast feeding your baby!

Ray

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:32 pm

Yesterday was a success. but I took several healthy snacks since dd seemed to be nursing non stop yesterday! Ahh!

I know it will get better when I wean and I can really make it count then and stick to the true idea of NoS. For now though, this is really really helping me to form good habits. I don't mindlessly eat any longer, I feel healthier and happier too.

Today is going well. Don't seem quite so hungry this morning so far. Had just a bagel with cream cheese and a coffee/creamer.
But it's 10:30 adn I can't wait till noon lol.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:34 pm

Yesterday evening I failed. Not just healthy snacks but one after another. This has been a really awful month for me. But still I keep plugging along!

DD didn't want to go to sleep last night and she cried until nearly 1am. I think she was so overtired she didn't know what else to do DH and I took turns walking, rocking, bouncing, playing with her and finally I did some fast rocking and nursed her to sleep. She was so tired. Rubbing her eyes and when she's nursing, you know she's tired if she rubs her hand through her hair foward and back, forward and back. So sweet.

Of course I do not function well at all once I'm tired and the weeks of less sleep is starting to add up. I am g r u m p y and I could most times care less about staying on track w/nos. But like I said I've cut out most mindless eating and I sure that counts for something.

Didn't I hear/read somewhere that not getting enough sleep causes one to eat more?

Anyway.

Still trying.
Doing well so far today. We'll see what the afternoon brings (my bewitching hour)
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Still Trying Ugh.

Post by FarmerHal » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:23 pm

Well I'm here. I've gained back up to 236. At least it's not 240 again :( But I"m discouraged. Mostly it's my own fault. DH has been travelling for his work the last 2 weeks so I am left with 2 kids by myself in a new town with little to do and no friends and bitter cold outside. We are all suffering from cabin fever for sure!
This morning has been a NoS success so far. I am DETERMINED to do this. I MUST get down to 200lbs. I have to! My joints are hurting me. When I wake up in the morning, My feet and ankles hurt under my massive weight. Ideally I would like to be 180. I think things would be good then.
I have a pendulous abdomen. I think that is partly the weight but mostly because of the last 2 pregnancies in 2 yrs with the 2 c/sections.
Here I am trying to justify everything. I think if I hadn't had these kids I wouldn't be this big but Oh well, they are beautiful and worth every pound of weight gain.

I have the treadmill so I can walk but I hate indoor exercise. I like outdoor exercise.

Anyway, so I am back and going to try harder and post for support.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

NOS Rules Revision

Post by FarmerHal » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:33 pm

I was allowing myself snacks on the excuse that breastfeeding burns up gagillions of calories and I was 'suffering'
Bfing burns aroudn 500 calories per day, which is the equivolent of a regular sized sandwich.

Anyway, I need to revise rules for myself. Being this overweight, I am not going to suffer. I have plenty of fat stores to make milk with.

So the new old rules:

Eat 3 meals a day, one plate rule which ideally would consist 1/2 veggies/fruit, 1/4 protein, 1/4 carb.

I have a goal. I want to be at or under 200 by Dec 31, 07. I know I can do this. I haven't much else to do besides the mom stuff.

I can weigh myself whenever but only Friday weight 'counts' as a gain/loss.

I can do it I can do it I can do it.

I have to do it. I don't want to remain this way wiht this pendulous abdomen which is so ugly and uncomfortable carrying around. Yuck.

I know dh worries about my health. He worries I will be diabetic or have heart problems (already have a heart murmur).

:roll:
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Feb 07, 2007 10:12 pm

Doing welltoday. Had a successful day yesterday as well. I am *feeling a lot obetter. Not so gassy, not running to the loo as much (I hate that about overeating). I've been very generous with portions at meals to make sure I get that extra 500 for bfing.

HOpefully today will be a success again.

SLow and steady....
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:46 pm

Tues and weds were successes Yay!! Yesterday (thurs) not so much lol, a total bomb. Today so far so good but I only just got through breakfast. I had some of Bob's Red Mill Meusli (which has NO sugars or preservatives) with soy milk and a banana. Decaf coffee.

See what lunch and supper brings. DH says he's coming home from work after lunch so we can go grocery shopping, we are down to nil., pretty bare cupboards and frige. (actually we have 2 friges that are pretty bare lol)
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

zoolina

Post by zoolina » Sat Feb 10, 2007 12:19 pm

shamrock mommy,

Good to have you back! I've also gotten off track lately. But we can do it. We CAN!

Zoolina

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:09 am

SEVERAL Failures. Several. I start snacking right after b'fast. Like today, I started out with good intentions, bob's meusli with milk and chopped dates. Glass of soy milk. Then feeling the stress of 2 sick kids (payback for trying to be sociable and find friends!!) and myself coming down with a cold, I dive into a box of wheatables crackers. New box. 8 servings, 140 calories each. 1120 calories right in one sitting. I cared not, dh works too much. I am stuck with 2 kids all day all night. If I want to do anything they come along. Rarel cooperative. Anyway, I digress. The texture was heavenly, crispy, sweet and wheaty.

Lunch was a sandwich and water.
Snacked on a couple frosted animal crackers. Probably like 10 or so.
Supper was bbq beef sandwich with soy milk and a pickle and a handful of roasted unsalted walnuts.

I had some hot chicken broth to help wiht my sore throat. (Avoiding meds because I'm bf'ing)

Well aside from the crackers it doesn't look too terribly bad.

I think I need to post here every day. Make some strong friendships and get the support I need to make it through each day.

My spine hurts me pretty bad, as do my hips. I wonder what it would be like to be 55lbs lighter. Wouldn't it be freeing? wow.

I had this goal to have all my kids born by the time I was 30. SO I'm going to be 30 in APril. Wonder if I can be 180 by the time I'm 35?

Well ok, except for the entire BOX of crackers and the
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:19 pm

Check out my new sigline :) Thanks to pangelsue for the inspiring words.

Doing well so far today.
B'fast was a bagel with pbj, and 2 egg 'omelet' which had mrs dash in it and a few bacos. And a coffee (decaf)

No S NO S!!

I'll check in later.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:00 pm

I am going to call yesterday (weds) a success. I did have 2 snacks but they were healthy. I am just trying to form healthy habits while dd is still nursing.

today going well also. Had a bowl of meusli, soy milk, banana.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:08 pm

Well I've been doing all of my checkins on Hilary and Tiffani's Check In.

I can't say how much it has helped having Hilary to think of every time I want a snack! I don't want to let her down!! :) It's helping a ton to have a NoS buddy. I feel like I have someone with this interest in common. Helps so much
So if you want to see my progress, you can catch me on those pages from now on likely.

Tiffani
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:41 pm

For anyone following, I've been doign my check in on Hilary and Tiffani's checkin page. :)
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18