Planner Lady's Daily Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

planner lady

Planner Lady's Daily Check-In

Post by planner lady » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:25 am

Day 1 - SUCCESS.

Also, only one diet coke this morning at 9:00 a.m. I expected to be pretty miserable all day but it wasn't bad. I kept very busy and that helped a lot -- not just with the caffeine withdrawal, but the snack withdrawal, too.

Did 20 minutes of DDR (Dance Dance Revolution on PS2) and scraped texture off a bedroom ceiling. I'm exhausted! But it feels good to have SUCCESS even if it's just one day because one day leads to two, and two days lead to three . . .

JWL

Post by JWL » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:49 am

well done, planner lady!

The one day at a time approach works well, because before you know it you have strings of days behind you. I feel like I just started, but this is my 3rd week keeping strict track of what I do (after flirting with all the systems for a couple months beforehand). Very cool.

I've been blogging for several years, so it's kind of like that. When you start a blog, there are only a handful of entries. Before long, there are pages and pages of archives. The same is true of ES and this daily check-in thread; it's a nice record of a journey I'm very much enjoying so far. Helps to pass the time, and it makes me accountable in a cool (though utterly illusory) way.

Keep it up!
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

cvmom

Re: Planner Lady's Daily Check-In

Post by cvmom » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:05 am

planner lady wrote:

Did 20 minutes of DDR (Dance Dance Revolution on PS2)

That sounds like so much fun!!! Way to go Planner Lady!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dru :D

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:06 am

PS2 has some really great things to make you move about, I find. I haven't got a DDR mat for mine, but I do have the Eye-Toy and there are some seriously hard-work physical games for that. Plus, because you're just playing, it doesn't really feel like exercise when you're doing it cos it's fun.

Glad it's starting out well. Definately one day at a time is the way to go.

I like to see it this way. Each day I succeed is another day where I did something really good for myself! Even if I only suceeded half the time, I couldn't possibly undo those sucesses because no matter how 'bad' I was, I couldn't be any worse than I used to be pre no-S! It feels so good to set yourself up for 'nearly automatic' success. What a difference a day makes... and then another, and then another...!
CaroleJo