good example

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

arl0401

good example

Post by arl0401 » Fri May 06, 2005 1:53 pm

For the last two weeks, my fourteen year old son has started to do this! I guess it's finally rubbing off. I've been doing no-s since last September (not always perfectly, but ok), and I think he realized that it's just sensible. I'm so pleased. He's grown from 5'3" to 5'11" in the past year so he's always starving. I can see a difference in him already - not really in weight, but in his self-image. It's a sense of self-control and self-discipline that I've not seen in him before. I think there's something to being in control of your food, and that flows over into being more in control of your entire life. So sensible. I'm praying he sticks with it.

jools

Post by jools » Fri May 06, 2005 3:01 pm

HI,

Im not sure of your name but wanted you to know you are right on about kids self image and self control-
My 14 yo daughter started this with me last October and has done much better than her mom has done. she has gone from a size 14 womens to a junior size 7- she is 5'8 and weighs now 145#. and she is amzed at the way she looks now- her friends are astounded and hopefully she is rubbing off on them as some of them are anorexic or bulemic. she is proud of herself that she didnt go down that road. She stops and considers what she is eating and whether is is good for her or not, before she could have cared less. Dont get me wrong she still loves junk food once in awhile (she is a teen) but through the week she is nos all the way.
WE look forward to ss together on the weekend and have found ourselves much fussier about what our S is going to be(sweet that is) neither of us are second platers and snacks are a thing of the past. If the time and opportunity arrives and you can share this with your son please feel free to tell him teens are doing this too and quite succesfully.

I tell Shelley that if she can leran this now that her chances of staying slim are much greater. Because it really is about our habits we form as kids.

Good luck to you both

Jools

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat May 07, 2005 10:28 am

Hi arl0401, jools,

I'm very excited to hear this. While one's body might be more responsive at that age, it's presumably much harder to summon up the patience and discipline it takes. I'm hugely impressed. Naturally, don't force it on them, but I'm sure you aren't doing that. Keep us posted.

arl0401

Post by arl0401 » Sat May 07, 2005 1:21 pm

Thanks Reinard and Jools - I have two other kids also and I do want this to rub off on them as well. I haven't pushed it off on them, but I've told them about the website and what I'm trying to do. Joe (my 14 year old) is definitely slimming down. He has cut out so much of the junk food and sweets and is eating stuff like fruit and vegetable soup.

It's definitely inspiring me to be a good example!
Anne