Newbie question: What sorts of exercise do you do?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

florafloraflora

Newbie question: What sorts of exercise do you do?

Post by florafloraflora » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:46 pm

I'm working on my third day of this diet. I just started a checkin thread where I'll be posting my success or failure each day, along with a few notes on what I ate at each meal and any observations on how it's all going. I thought about adding UR to my checkin, but I walk every day because I live in an apartment with a dog, so for now I'll just stick with keeping notes on my eating because that's the trickiest part of the puzzle for me.

I'm curious to know what kinds of exercise other people on this board are getting. I think for now I'm happy with the exercise I get from walking, yoga class 2x a week, and climbing stairs at work (2 flights up from the parking garage, 4 flights up to my office, and I rarely take the elevator unless I'm wearing heels).

I've had a vague goal for a few years now of taking up running and working up to a 5K, but I keep getting stalled. Maybe it's just one of those unnatural pursuits that's not meant to be, but I'm not giving up on it just yet.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:38 pm

Right now, as I admitted in a previous post, I'm stalled out on exercise, and stalled out on weight loss as a result. (Though I'm not gaining, thanks to No-S.)

My normal routine is 3+ hours of cardio/week, which varies - some aerobic classes, some walking. I also stretch a lot throughout the day. Before Christmas I was trying to add yoga to the mix.

I do best with exercise classes, and have a yoga class starting Monday (can't wait!) Will probably continue walking on the weekends. If the yoga doesn't get my heart going, will need to add more cardio somewhere.

And maybe someday I'll try shovelglove. Maybe. Or not. ;)

navin

Post by navin » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:59 pm

For me it varies a little from week to week.

I try to get to the gym a couple times a week. I do some strength training (you know, those various weight machines each tailored to certain muscle groups), the odd "Spin" class (especially when it's too cold to ride a real bike).

When it's nicer out, I'll run, walk, hike, canoe, and bicycle. I did my first 5K about 5 years ago. I couldn't run the whole thing, but I worked up to it, and now I run one in about 30 minutes.

I also get in a game or two of ice hockey a week. It's hard to get a better workout than that!
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:30 am

I walk a few days a week for 20-30 minutes, do strength training for 15-20 minutes another 3-4 days each week, and take a 50-55 minute boot camp class twice a week.

I've only been consistent with it the last couple of weeks. And it's made a huge difference in me feeling good, staying committed to eating right, and losing weight.

Julie

joasia

Post by joasia » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:04 am

I walk. No special equipment required. Just put one foot in front of the other. Listen to some music to get motivated. If you are really overweight, walking may be all you can do. You don't want to go crazy all at once. And always get a physical first, just in case. I walk 3 to 6 miles (depending on how much time I have) everyday. Have not started shovel glove yet.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

zoolina

Post by zoolina » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:54 am

I bike to work--75 minutes of low-key cardio a day.

Otherwise, I'm stymied by injuries--can't even walk right now. Bleh.

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:16 am

I practice yu lung kung fu and qigong three to four times a week, stepping up to four to five times a week when I finish a project at the end of next week. I also walk everywhere when I have time and don't need to carry huge quantities of heavy stuff.

I have found it to be a waste of time to try forcing myself to do forms of exercise I don't enjoy, hence the martial arts. Walking has the added advantage of being useful (for things like getting to qigong classes).
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

florafloraflora

Post by florafloraflora » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:00 pm

KCCC, yoga can be a great exercise if it's done at the right intensity. I've been doing it regularly for a year and a half, and sporadically for longer than that, and somehow (underneath the fat) I've developed abs like you see on commercials. I wouldn't say it's a substitute for aerobic exercise, but it should be a great complement to all the cardio you are getting.

billyymc12508

Post by billyymc12508 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:00 pm

Exercise isn't really a problem for me, other than finding enough time to do as much as I'd like to. My problem has - at least until now that I'm embracing No-S -- has been my eating...so even though I'm "fit" and have been for a large part of my adult life, I've always had a lovely layer of -- hmm -- packaging that I've wanted to get rid of...not in any one particular area, but basically my entire torso. So anyway, here's an example of my current exericse routine (this is what I did this week):

Monday through Thursday -- 5:15 a.m. - shovelglove 14 min, followed by two sets of situps and pushups; 6:00 - swim 1200 yards (in various mixes of strokes); sometime around noon each day - 30 to 40 minutes on an elliptical trainer followed by a 15 minute run on a treadmill (we have a great gym where I work which is nice). Thrown in with that, each night I at least stretch, and two nights this week did sort of a hybrid aerobic/weights/swiss ball workout using light weights while watching TV.

Today, was kind of sore, so did just shovelglove this morning, and will stretch tonight. Tomorrow - downhill ski (finally -- upstate NY has had a lousy skiing winter); Sunday, will probably ski as well. Typically take a good walk/hike (preferably in the woods) at least one day on the weekend.

Well, that covers my current routine pretty well. I did go through a period a few years back where I got lazy, and did basically nothing -- and of course, gained weight and got soft. And then broke my leg skiing cause I was out of shape. Now, I'm kind of addicted to the endorphins.

There are times when I dont' feel like working out, or even getting off my backside and walking, but I"ve found that...if I start, even just easily...that it only takes a few minutes to get in the groove. And of course, there are time when I slog through a workout, or just go easy the wh ole time -- figuring it's better to do it half-essed than not at all.

Couple more points about exercise -- if you make it play-like, it's always better. Weather permitting, my wife and I rollerblade together, bike, kayak, or just get out int he woods with the kids and look for critters -- snakes, salamanders, crayfish, etc...good quality family time, is usually either exercise for your body, or yoru brain.

Start with a little, as often as possible...and soon your body will crave it.

btw, this is my first post -- been lurking around here for a while -- and, happy to say that No-S is working for me, and I'm pretty sure it's something I can stick with. When I have time, I'll write another post about my experience getting started on No-S.

billy

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:07 pm

I walk, do some floor aerobics, and also qigong. I have been doing qigong for about 14 years and really love it. Some of it is derived from the martial arts, and some from medical qigong.

J Ellis

Post by J Ellis » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:46 am

Here is a basic exercise routine for those who exercise to live, not live to exercise. Perform this routine five to seven days per week.

1) Do your age in push-ups everyday

2) Do your age in crunches everday

(Break the calisthenics into multiple sets if necessary.)

3) Walk your age in minutes everyday (or double your age in squats)
a. Once you reach sixty minutes per day, maintain that level.
b. If you don't enjoy exercise, think of your daily walk as a learning opportunity. Memorize scripture, listen to audiobooks, learn a new language, dictate ideas into a digital recorder. Protect this hour as your personal creative time.

Joel

navin

Post by navin » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:30 pm

1) Do your age in push-ups everyday
Another fun way to incorporate push-ups if you're a football fan... do your team's score in push-ups every time your team scores, much like the mascot would. Helps if you are for high-scoring teams with good offense. :D
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

astitchaway

Post by astitchaway » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:31 am

I have arthritis in my knees and ankles so I have trouble finding exercise I can do. At the moment I'm doing 30 minutes a day (at least 3 days per week) on my exercise bike, because that doesn't affect my knees at all (a bit sore on the ankles though). I also have some strap on wrist weights, I put them on and do some bicep curls whilst I'm cycling. It's as boring as hell but somehow I still look forward it, some days it's the only reason I get out of bed!

I used to really enjoy yoga but I find that most of the poses are agony on my knees now which is a real shame. My local leisure does Aqua Aerobics classes which I would love to try but I keep wimping out. I know, I should just get over myself and go...

Clare
I'm a stitch away from making it and a scar away from falling apart.

florafloraflora

Post by florafloraflora » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:25 pm

Aqua Aerobics is a lot of fun. I did it religiously a few years ago, until the logistics of packing a bathing suit and washing chlorine out of my hair got to be too much. It's a great way to get your heart rate up without overheating or putting stress on your joints.

Myrna

Post by Myrna » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:25 pm

I love to exercise! I absolutely love running- I ran my first marathon last year and am trying to decide if I should run 1 or 2 later this fall. I have 2 crazy hyper dogs so walking is a must every day. I try to get in some strength, but I find it sooo boring. I just discovered yoga- it just makes me feel great on the inside.

florafloraflora: if you try running again, just remember to take it slow and get fitted for shoes at a running store. New runners tend to run too fast at first; running should be done at a conversational pace; super slow is okay. I don't know if you've tried the Couch-to-5K; my hubby just started and is doing really well!
here's the link: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:27 pm

Sometimes weird to see your own progress, as a post from months back re-surfaces...

I totally love my yoga class, and it IS a surprisingly good workout - definitely "weight-bearing exercise" for the arms, which is good.

On the weekends, I walk. During the week, I do yoga 2-3x, do "mini-walks" (several 10-minute ones) and plan "stretches" on the days I don't do yoga.

It's a decent maintenance level for me, but I can see room for improvement. Just not the time. :)

Babysteps, babysteps.

florafloraflora

Post by florafloraflora » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:47 pm

Phthalo Blue, how do you get enough to eat on No-S when you're running? I know when I've tried Couch-to-5K in past years (love the program, but have never actually completed it), I've been totally RAVENOUS, eating everything in sight, to the point that running actually makes me gain weight. I've cut down a lot on the amount I eat since I've been on No-S, and I have trouble imagining how I would make the program work if I were running.

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:51 pm

If you're exercising a lot, it's a matter of both what and when you eat, as you need carbohydrates before you exercise for energy, and protein afterwards for muscle repair. Virtual plating can take care of this. Unless you're really focussing on improvement in your running, you can probably just stick to regular meals.

When you're not used to it, your body will tell you it needs more food because it doesn't want to metabolise fat. Don't listen to it. Wait for a while, and you'll get a much more accurate idea of how much you need to eat to give your body the nutrients it needs.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

Myrna

Post by Myrna » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:37 pm

florafloraflora, I'm new to the NoS thing- and still working out the kinks! :) I have modified it to meet my needs, like I try to eat 4 small meals plus whatever nutrition I need on long runs (over an hour& a half) and when marathon training starts I'll probably eat 5 small meals. Marathon training is more about endurance and maintenance eating than about weight loss. No S seems flexible enough for this. Personally, I just need to stop snacking out of boredom and frustration while I work!! ( I work at home and the 'fridge is always there :roll: )
As you build up running, your body becomes more efficient and the hunger won't be as ravenous. Really! I remember how 10 miles made me starving for like 2 days, now I'm used to it. I eat normally - calorically speaking. Like ThomsonsPier said, you just have to ignore your body's food callings for a while.
But if you want to run, don't give up! It's a great exercise! :D

storm fox

Post by storm fox » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:51 pm

I really like exercise, especially strength and strength/endurance training. Lately I've taken up far-parking (bits and pieces of walking add up) and a few days of sustained walking. I occasionally do tabata intervals, but they're a once in a while thing.

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:33 pm

I have been an exerciser avoider all my life - at school I knew every trick under the sun to avoid exercise. My biggest problem is I hate being all hot and sweaty - YUCK!! As a result anything that makes me feel like this has no chance of lasting long.

For me the solution is 8 Minutes in the Morning (only the strength training section and most definitely not his diet). 12 reps of 2 weight exercises and a total of 4 sets.

I know it is not a lot but it is more than I do otherwise and it definitely builds muscle - slowly but it builds. It gives me great satisfaction to know I have done my exercise for the day and I find it helps me stay on track with my No S as well.

I realise walking is great, but I do not have time during the day and after dark is too dangerous. In time I may try and get a tread mill, but for now I am satisfied with my 8MM.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:08 am

I did 8 MM for a long time. It's a good program. Minimal time, maximum effect.

czechens

Post by czechens » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:56 am

I do a Leslie Sansone one-mile walking tape first thing every morning - two miles on Saturdays. I do the walking on a minitramp because I have plantar fasciitis (getting better, thank God) and the trampoline has enabled me to get back to my walking, and it's fun! Little extra bounce to the ounce. Then I do T-Tapp Basic-Plus when I get home from work - Just 15 minutes - a great toning program (Check it out t-tapp.com). In fact, I found No-S in the t-tapp forums. Very compatible. I take Sundays off.
I like the thought posted above that, if one is consistent about exercise, the body will eventually crave it. I'm still waiting, but this gives me hope. If I could really crave exercise instead of Bunny Tracks ice cream, wouldn't that be sweet!

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sun Apr 15, 2007 1:06 am

SHOVELGLOVE!
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:55 pm

I have just recently started walking (like last Thursday LOL). But I decided to make a commitment and get 30 minutes of brisk walking in every day. Weekends optional (s days).

I also like my bike (it's a Giant Sedona- soo comfy!) and pull a trailer with my kiddos in it (phew!! that's work going up and down the hills!).

It takes a great deal of prodding to get me movin' but once I'm moving along I feel pretty good.
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:01 am

shamrockmommy wrote: It takes a great deal of prodding to get me movin' but once I'm moving along I feel pretty good.
Tiffani: that is how I feel too. When I am finished I never think to myself, "Hmmm, I wish I hadn't exercised!!!"

I actually like the feeling of accomplishment more then the workout.

I try to run three days a week for 30 minutes. On the other days I either hike or do the eliptical trainer in the gym. (I should be lifing weights too, but I don't always do that as much as I should.) Everyone should just pick what they like to do and just do it!!!! This winter I tried Cross Country skiing for the first time and that was a blast. Alas, I am about 4 hours away from the snow, but at least I tried it and I liked it. I also went Kayaking recently in a tandem kayak with my husband. But we capsized so it wasn't too much fun.... :(

billyymc12508

Post by billyymc12508 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:33 am

CVMom - don't give up on kayaking! My wife and I have been kayaking - both sea and whitewater - for about 12 years.

My advice - separate boats! Tandem boats = pending divorce!

Take it easy to start -- calm, sheltered water where you don't feel threatened. And go on a warm or HOT day -- one where you want to swim -- so you can intentionally flip and get out of the boat to see how it feels. Once you get over that fear, being in the boat becomes much more comfortable and you don't get all tense which increaes your chance of capsize.

And...wear your lifejacket!

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:18 pm

Thanks for the advice Billy.

The funny thing is that we were on a calm, flat, windless lake! I think we both leaned to one direction to avoid hitting a bridge trestle and so we just went over. Luckily, we were near the side of the lake because I have no idea how I would have got back on that kayak. I won't give up on Kayaking but maybe I should have a formal lesson.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Dru

PS Have you ever read "Rowing to Latitude"? Its about a couple that kayak and canoe all over Alaska. Excellent read.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:32 pm

Lately my exercise has been running (5-6 times a week, 25-30 miles a week) and yoga (3-5 times a week).

billyymc12508

Post by billyymc12508 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:44 am

cvmom wrote:Thanks for the advice Billy.

The funny thing is that we were on a calm, flat, windless lake! I think we both leaned to one direction to avoid hitting a bridge trestle and so we just went over. Luckily, we were near the side of the lake because I have no idea how I would have got back on that kayak. I won't give up on Kayaking but maybe I should have a formal lesson.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Dru

PS Have you ever read "Rowing to Latitude"? Its about a couple that kayak and canoe all over Alaska. Excellent read.

Lessons are good idea for a lot of reasons. Besides learning some basic stuff, you'll have fun, meet some other paddlers, and learn about places to paddle near you.

Some stuff in paddling isn't intuitive -- like for instance...sometimes it's better to lean into an obstacle (esp in moving water) than to lean away from it!

Will check out that book...thanks.