Thanks!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Hunter Gatherer

Thanks!

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:37 pm

Just an update from me!

I started No-S a little more than a year ago (April? March?) and I have lost ALMOST (so close I can taste it) 30 pounds.

MY RESULTS:

1) I am a lot slimmer/skinnier/thinner.
2) I can fit into my (previously unwearable) pants.
3) I had to take in a pair of my shorts at the waist (they were a bit big to start, but we take our victories where we can, eh?).
4) My jeans need a belt now or they slide around.
5) I can still play "Celebrity Lips" but it is getting harder. (from one of my non-numerical goals on a long-ago post)
6) I actually have fun looking at myself in the mirror now! I feel quite vain!

Special thanks go out to the person who suggested brushing your teeth after a meal to curb snacking urges. (Deb?) It really helps! Make sure to rinse or the sugary toothpaste-taste might be a problem for some folks. The added side benefit of my dental hygenist complementing me on the state of my teeth was a pleasant surprise.
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

david

Post by david » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:48 pm

I suggested the toothbrushing thing, although Deb may have as well. I'm glad it works for you!

Are you still eating lots of garden veggies?

--david

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:42 pm

Not as many as I'd like! I've moved and don't see my friend with the garden as often as I used to.

Thank you for the toothbrushing tip! I knew if I mentioned it the originator would step forward! It's especially nice on S-days when I feel like I'm over-essing. I just brush my teeth and then I can stop. (I don't want to spoil the clean feeling!)
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:13 am

Congratulations, HG! Numerically and non-numerically, this is quite an achievement.

Thank you for the update!

As far as deadly sins go, isn't vanity a vast improvement? :-)

Reinhard

want2bhealthy

Post by want2bhealthy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:26 pm

congratulations, i always love to hear success stories, and i hope no one minds, but i send all the success stories to my computer buddies who think this might be a way to maintain wt , instead of losing. i also mentioned somewhere about toothbrushing. i dont want credit, but i know when i do that, i am done eating too. i need to do that more often. it really does work.
man, i have tried EVERYTHING else, this has to be my last stop.
starting fresh july 1-09
wt 207

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:39 pm

Feel free to share my successes, I don't mind. Unless you already suspect one of them to be an internet stalker/serial killer. Then I mind. :twisted:

Thank you for the tip too! I never noticed before how nasty my mouth would feel after a night of hanging out and snacking until I started this. And feeling all clean and sparkly is a great "STOP" mechanism. It gives you two ego-boosts in one: "My! How virtuous I am to brush my teeth!" and "I am so good for stopping right now."

I get a little of everyting so I don't feel deprived, brush up, and I'm done. No more getting stuck in the "Now something sweet to combat the salty, now something salty to combat the sweet" cycle! (This example is specific to an S-evening, but can be applied elsewhere.)

And yes, vanity is a step up right now. :shock:
Dashiell Hammett

Too solid flesh

Re: Thanks!

Post by Too solid flesh » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:40 pm

Congratulations! Wonderful to take your shorts in.
I can still play "Celebrity Lips" but it is getting harder.
What is "Celebrity Lips", please?
Last edited by Too solid flesh on Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:51 pm

Ha-ha! I think I am the only person in the world who remembers that joke.

"Celebrity Lips" is a game played in either the Bloom County comic or the Outland comic (same artist/author so I get confused). What you do is grab your belly and pinch together two floppy lips. Then you try and identify which celebrity's lips they look like.
Dashiell Hammett

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:56 am

Woooooooooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!
Awesome news Hunter!!!!!
Just saw this now :D
Fantastic!!!!
So glad for you!!!!!
Peace and Love,
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Jaxhil

Post by Jaxhil » Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:50 am

Good for you, my fellow Texan!! I am loving that you do the teeth brushing thing-I do too! And I remember one time in another weight loss group (many years ago) everyone was giving tips on how to not keep eating or snack or whatever. I said I brushed my teeth after meals and it kept me from wanting to eat, because I didn't want to have to brush them all over again. They all stopped talking and looked at me like I was crazy.

I should have left right then :lol:

Anyway, congrats!! I look forward to posting my own happy (and vain, lol!) results too someday!

Oh-and the celebrity lips thing is hilarious :lol:
Hilary
_______

"Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity."-St Augustine

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."-Thomas Jefferson

navin

Post by navin » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:49 am

Yes, I do the tooth brushing thing too, and it usually works great! My dentist bills have gone way down, too. :D
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.