Grocery bill - going down

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

bizzybee

Grocery bill - going down

Post by bizzybee » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:22 pm

Has anyone else experienced a real lowering in grocery bills?
Snack foods are expensive.

I'm buying for another adult and 2 kids and still see a difference. I had to stop buying so much fruit, it was just not getting eaten. I had been sort of deluding myself about what I was buying for me and what I was buying for the kids. Granola bars, popcorn, bread, yogurt it is all lasting much much longer now.

florafloraflora

Post by florafloraflora » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:17 pm

I never had a lot of snack food around, but I'm noticing that things like soup and yogurt last a LOT longer now that I'm eating smaller portions.

WinstonWolf

Post by WinstonWolf » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:04 pm

Heh. I'm not sure about our grocery bill overall, but we're definitely refreshing certain items a lot more often.

Carrots and cottage cheese (usually 2%, the "fat free" stuff tends to have more sugar), I eat pretty much every day now... we're going through more milk...

... and my wife found some good protein/fiber bars (Fiber One Oats and Chocolate - little drizzle of chocolate-flavored stuff on top) that we're both eating a lot of - it's been an easy way to get more fiber into the diet, and the bars are fairly healthy (low sugar, etc) as far as we can tell. I'm not counting it as a "sweet" since it's a fiber bar (claims 35% of daily fiber - more than some cereals).

We're also making more of an effort to have vegetables with dinner every night - had some Swiss chard earlier this week, got it at Bloom (what used to be Food Lion, post-makeover they're quite good)... supposed to be good for your eyes.

Snacking wasn't generally my big problem - it was desserts at work, really. 2 cookies every day definitely adds up over time.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:48 pm

It seems like eating less (and therefore presumably buying less) would obviously save you money, but apparently not on most diets:

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/inv ... 114424.asp

So No-s, with its primitive emphasis on simply eating less, is probably the only diet around that will do the obvious and save you money.

Reinhard

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Fri Sep 28, 2007 8:33 pm

Snack foods ARE expensive. And soft drinks are a pain to lug home! Yes, the NoS diet is cheaper and weighs less!
Chance favors the prepared. - Louis Pasteur

larisa0001

Post by larisa0001 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:14 am

I'm saving quite a bit on coffeeshop pastries and mocha latte concoctions. That was really my only "S" - sweets.

Oh - and I lost 2 lbs. already. This no-S thing really does work.

flangal

grocery bills

Post by flangal » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:20 pm

Our bills are going down,for sure. the no snack thing.
really eliminates a whole section of the grocery store.
Also, Iam combining this with "The FatFallacy" by Will Clower ,which eliminates all "faux food" in favor of only "real"food
flangan

navin

Post by navin » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:24 am

My DENTAL bills have gone down since No-S. It's amazing what a lot less sugar can do for your teeth. :)
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.