No longer able to eat milk chocolate.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

florafloraflora

No longer able to eat milk chocolate.

Post by florafloraflora » Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:37 pm

I made an interesting discovery over the weekend. I bought some fine milk chocolate, a type I've enjoyed before (Dolfin, from Belgium, with coarsely-ground cinnamon in it). To my surprise it tasted terrible to me, painfully over-sweet, way too sweet to enjoy. I knew I could no longer enjoy candy bars like Twix, but I was surprised that even the fancy milk chocolate is too sweet for me now.

You have to understand that I used to be a sugar FIEND. Thanks yet again, No-S! :wink:

WinstonWolf

Post by WinstonWolf » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:46 pm

My discovery over the weekend: Country Time lemonade (in the 2 liter bottle) does not agree with me.

Not that it really did before, mind you. I've become far more cognizant of the sugars in products over the past 5 weeks or so.

In fact, I think they give me a headache now, oddly enough. Had one on Saturday after having a Pepsi, and got one yesterday after having the lemonade.

More proof that most soda is evil, at least as far as I'm concerned. Yech. I feel pretty blech today. Not sure if it was just from sugar yesterday but I figure that didn't help.

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:48 pm

I gave up sugary foods several years ago (before I discovered No S) and found the same thing - on the odd occasion where I eat something sugary I find it way too sweet. I also found that I learned to appreciate natural sweetness in foods much more (e.g. fruits, honey etc.).

I have similar chocolate experience too, actually to do with going vegan about 7 years ago. I acquired a taste for dark bitter chocolate, and now I can only enjoy chocolate if it has a really high cocoa percentage - if it has less than 70% cocoa then to me it is tasteless LOL (my favourite is Lindt 85% cocoa chocolate - it's the double espresso of chocolate!).

p.s. just in case anyone's wondering - some vegans eat honey, whereas some exclude that too as it is technically an animal product (it can be a subject of hot debate in the vegan community LOL).

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:21 pm

WinstonWolf wrote:More proof that most soda is evil, at least as far as I'm concerned. Yech. I feel pretty blech today.
Don't forget the aspartame that is added, often even to the non-diet drinks (you'd think that with 7 spoons of sugar or whatever silly amount a typical soda drink contains it'd be sweet enough :D). Any naturally sweet fruit juice diluted with sparkling water makes a good soda drink alternative. :)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:57 pm

I have to admit, I'm still perfectly capably of enjoying milk chocolate (and twix bars). Though I don't pine for them during the week, and have expanded my appreciation for sweets to the less intense stuff, I still relish my full-on S-day sugar esses pretty thoroughly.

But I'm definitely much less into sugar soda. I can enjoy it, on occasion, in the right setting (almost exclusive at the movies). But I don't have the slightest desire for it otherwise, even on S-days. It just seems too crude. Sorta like chugging olive oil to enjoy fat.

Reinhard

florafloraflora

Post by florafloraflora » Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:48 pm

I never was a huge fan of chocolate, and now the number of different types of chocolate I enjoy is shrinking. But I can still do plenty of damage to my old favorites, the caramel, custard, fruity and nutty families of sweets.

Soda is funny: I've never been a fan, but sometimes on S-days I have one just as a sort of forbidden-fruit thing, because I can. The carbonated drinks don't do much for me, but I still like sugary fruit drinks (fake lemonade, Hawaiian punch, stuff like that).

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:50 pm

I still like sweets - even very sweet sweets.

But... smaller quantities of them will do.

I went out for a belated birthday lunch with a friend this weekend. An S-day, and I fully intended to have a dessert. But we had a big meal, with wine... and when we reached dessert-time, I had no interest. So I didn't bother.

What a change!