Churn Butter

Here you'll find a discussion thread for each of the canonical and major non-canonical shovelglove moves. If you have questions or comments about any of these moves, just update the existing discussion for it. If you have a new move, add a new discussion (preferably with the name of your new move in the title). Ideally there will be just one discussion thread per move that everyone adds to, but it's no tragedy if a little bit of redundancy creeps in.
reinhard
Site Admin

Churn Butter

Post by reinhard » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:39 pm

Post any questions/comments/concerns you have about this move here.

Official movement description at:

http://shovelglove.com/movements/churn_butter/

urbansix

Post by urbansix » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:01 pm

I hate being first.

I started modifying "churn butter" with 10 one-handed churn butters in front, and then 10 to the side. Each side. First started thinking of them as churning butter while reaching for the phone, but the best name I can come up with is Perseus Hoist

(haven't tried it naked yet)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:18 pm

I am deeply grateful that you took the plunge and went first -- this forum was beginning to look a little silly :-)

A lot of people have reported doing butter churn one handed. I'm not sure why I persist in using two hands. It's certainly a lot harder with one, and you can't "cheat" by having your dominant arm help out the weaker. I'll have to try to force myself to use one hand next time to see how it feels (I've been doing two handed so long the movement is now almost unconscious).

That's a dramatic (and scary) name you've come up with for it! I wonder how much a severed (Gorgon) head weighs...

Reinhard

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:50 pm

I tried the one handed version Friday and remembered why I don't do it regularly: with a heavier sledge, it puts a lot of strain on the elbow. With two hands, the other hand doesn't just "cheat," it stabilizes (not a bad tradeoff, I think). So unless you're very comfortable with the weight your using, I'd recommend sticking with two hands.

Reinhard

matt

Harder with sledge head up?

Post by matt » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:17 pm

For some reason, this move seems harder with the head of the sledgehammer held up, rather than hanging down... does anyone else find this? Maybe it's because you have to use more muscles balancing the weight on top, whereas when it's hanging, it balances itself...

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:31 am

Matt,

I think what you're describing is tuck the bales. (also known as reverse butter churn).

I would probably agree that it's harder (I do 42 reps butter churn, just 21 tuck the bales), but it also seems to emphasize different muscles. When I do butter churn I feel it in my pecs. Tuck the bales is more shoulders.

Reinhard

urbansix

Post by urbansix » Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:23 am

I have taken your elbow strain advice and gone back to two-handing the butter. Just have to do twice as many to get that burn. Instead of 20 each side I do 40 two-handed now, and it feels good. Finishing off each set with 10 Gorgons to each side - they are straight armed, but shoulder intensive.

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:02 pm

I do a move like this one handed, but with the head of the hammer near the ground (so my hand is nearer the end of the handle). I think of it as "busting ice". I've tried to make my SG workout completely consistent with things you might actually do with a hammer... I'm not sure why. I guess it's just another mind game I play with myself.
urbansix wrote:I have taken your elbow strain advice and gone back to two-handing the butter. Just have to do twice as many to get that burn. Instead of 20 each side I do 40 two-handed now, and it feels good. Finishing off each set with 10 Gorgons to each side - they are straight armed, but shoulder intensive.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."