Canoeing exercise

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Matthew Warner

Canoeing exercise

Post by Matthew Warner » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:06 am

Hi all,

One of the descriptions of scenario-based exercise routines mentioned "canoeing," which struck me as a sensible and useful addition to the shovelglove exercises. Since I haven't seen any other discussion about it (of course, maybe I'm blind), I thought I'd demonstrate what I've been doing.

It seems like a cool exercise so far. Hard as hell on the lower arm, which is doing all the work, so I've been doing sets of 5 for each arm. If you try it, make sure to bend your knees and keep your back straight.

Click here to watch the demonstration video.

Matt

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:37 am

Good video! I did canoeing when I was doing SG and thought it was a good move.

Matthew Warner

Post by Matthew Warner » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:29 pm

I also tried another new one this morning that I'm thinking about adding for next week: Ring the Gong. I think the name says it all.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:44 pm

Thank you Matthew! This is excellent. A lot of people have described canoeing type movements, but it really helps to see it. Youtube/myspace video is turning into such a boon for exercise in general and shovelglove in particular.

I really, really have to beef up that movements page soon... along with this and all the other promising moves that have been posted on this board, I've been doing two movements myself regularly for the last few months.

I PROMISE I'll get to it in May, along with a lot of other little site tweaks I've been unable to get to (the next and hopefully final draft of the nosdiet book is due may 1, that's been the big distraction).

Reinhard

Freelancer

Post by Freelancer » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:16 pm

It appears the video has been removed or something.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:32 pm

Yeah, it does.. unfortunately this is not something under my control.

Matthew -- if you're still lurking here, maybe repost the video or send the updated url?

Reinhard

menachem

link to another canoeing video

Post by menachem » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:48 pm

Just in case someone finds this thread and is looking for a working canoeing video, see this thread.

It is the one that's found on the Shovelglove Movements page.