Murphysraven routine (and progess)

Which movements do you do? How many reps? In what order? When? Do you mix in other non-shovelglove moves? Post here or browse to get ideas.
Murphysraven

Murphysraven routine (and progess)

Post by Murphysraven » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:58 pm

So I decided that Feb would begin my addition of Shovelglove to NoS and UR.

I have a 10lb sledgehammer. I decided that it would be ok to start slow so I did as much as my body allowed last night which turned out to be five minutes. I am going to work up to the full 14 over time.

I hope it's ok to use this as a sort of daily check in doing SG. Talking about my routines and other things I'm noticing.

Well my starting routing ended up being this

15 shovel movements (both left and right)
10 butter churn (in front) and 10 behind my back (forgot what those are called)
10 flip the level both sides
10 chop wood both sides
and finishing another 10 shovels both sides

By then I was wheezing and my arm muscles were burning and feeling wobbly. I decided to call it a success and strive to work up from there.

I noticed a lot of soreness in my biceps and shoulders. I didn't really feel anything in my abdomin which is an area i really would like to change. and moves that you recommend for a good ab workout?
When I asked for all things, so that I may enjoy Life, I was given Life, so that I may enjoy all things.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:45 pm

Thank you for posting your routine, Murphysraven!

Shovelglove works the abs. I do no other ab exercise and I have discernible six pack. Remember that the original inspiration for shovelglove came from the abs of French coal miners.

You might not feel it it the abs compared with other muscles because the abs play a supplementary, not primary role in most movements. That's as it should be. That's what abs are for. That's how our ancestors used their abs for ages. And it will be sufficient to get your abs in great shape, usefully great shape, along with less sexy but equally important muscle groups (your back, for instance). Think of your exercise routine as movie you're directing: abs aren't star material, that would just be miscasting, but they can strive to win "best supporting actor" at the oscars.

Though most of the canonical shovelglove moves exert the abs somewhat, I think these do it most directly: drive fence posts, shovel, chop wood, the fireman, chop tree. But I wouldn't worry about targeting abs or any other specific muscle group. Do small rep sets of lots of different movements and you'll be sure to cover your bases (plus the variety keeps it more interesting and you're less likely to injure yourself through the repetitive stress of just a few movements).

Don't overexert yourself. Just focus on doing a regular minimum. A little consistent effort is better than heroic efforts. It's like the sea wearing away at a cliff -- it never seems like much at once, but in time huge changes will come. Stop if it's getting to be too much, and try to pace yourself so that 14 minutes isn't too strenuous. I think it's better to do sets with small rep counts (your counts sound great, but you could even consider going lower -- two days a week I do just 7 rep sets of each movement).

Reinhard

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:02 pm

Thanks for the encouragement Reinhard.

My arms were pretty sore yesterday and I was worried about doing another set, but I made myself do them anyways, hoping I wasn't going too overboard. I ended up doing the same set sans the extra shovelling at the end. but I added some other quick exercises to extend the time out. I have a pair of weighted wrist/ankle weights that I strapped on and did leg lifts.

I also did a move that I actually enjoy, I don't know the correct name for it though. Basically you are lying down on your back and lifting your legs together at 90 angle. You have someone stand over you and when you get your legs up they push them down. you can't actually let your legs hit the floor. I did a set of 15, that way I felt I was getting some extra tummy toning in to my routing while my arms are to tired to go a full 14 min.

after that I did some good stretches.

I think all total the amount of time I worked out was about 7-8 min (almost 5 for SG and 2-3 for other stuff)
When I asked for all things, so that I may enjoy Life, I was given Life, so that I may enjoy all things.

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Thu Feb 07, 2008 4:59 pm

Wednesdays routine (approx 8 min, maybe a little more)

Shovel 15 reps X2 each side
Churn butter front and back 10 reps each
Canoeing movements 10 each side
Flip the level 10 reps each side
Drive the post 15 reps X2 each side
Stoke the fire 10 reps each side
10 push down leg lifts

Suprisingly although my arms were sore it wasn't as hard to get through the workout, I added on some moves and a little more time. This morning I can feel the soreness if I stretch, but it's not as sore as a day ago.

At this rate, adding a minute a day to my workout, I should be at the full 14 min by the end of next week.

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:06 pm

Monday's routine

Up to 10 minutes now. feeling good.

20 shovels, each side
10 flip the leaver, each side
10 churn butter
10 hoist the sack (I always thought of these as churning butter behind my back, but I know the name now)
15 Drive the post, each side
15 Stoke the fire
10 Canoeing movements each side
10 Metronome (new move)

so far I don't feel any soreness in my arms.