Gilli's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gilli

Gilli's Daily Check In

Post by gilli » Wed May 23, 2007 3:55 am

Well, I just had my first full successful No-S day today, and I think it's time I start a check-in thread!

Day 1: SUCCESS :D

I do think I am going to have to learn to eat more slowly and listen to my body. I am very used to having an afternon snack, so while I can handle some tummy grumbles as dinner time approaches, I feel like I eat too fast at dinner which leads to maybe eating a little too much. Since I was pretty hungry by dinner, I of course stuck to one plateful, but it was probably a larger portion than I really need.

But I'm going to stick with the basics while I get started. I decided to try this because I needed something less complicated and more common-sense than counting Points.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed May 23, 2007 11:20 am

Don't worry about the large portions right now, just get into the habit of three meals a day. Portion size will gradually correct itself.

Welcome to the check-in thread...hope you post often! :D

gilli

Post by gilli » Thu May 24, 2007 12:14 pm

Day 2: FAILURE

I thought about justifying it as an S-Day but I know I'd just be kidding myself. I had seconds @ lunch and sweets 3 times. Not really proud of it, but today is a brand new day. The hardest thing is that I have to bake some scones & cupcakes for a bridal shower tonight, so my plan is to chew gum to prevent snacking/tasting and to have my husband be the official taste tester.

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu May 24, 2007 1:59 pm

gilli - having a plan is half the hurdle! You can do it - and so can your husband!!
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

gilli

Post by gilli » Mon May 28, 2007 2:07 am

I was traveling all weekend visiting various friends & family so I kind of counted these days as S-Days. I do kind of feel like I could have maintained No-S for at least 2 of the days without much trouble if I had thought things through better. I am going to chalk it up to a lesson for traveling in the future. I mean, part of the reason I like the idea of No-S is that it's so flexible in terms of what & where you eat, as long as it's pretty much real food & not sweets & limited to a single helping 3x a day. That's not hard!

But if I beat myself up, then I won't get back on to the No-S bandwagon. I know that I can do this.

Day 3 (Friday): S-Day
Day 4 (Saturday): S-Day
Day 5 (Sunday): S-Day

Tomorrow is Memorial day & I am going to a cook-out but I am going to treat it as a regular No-S day. I know what's being served and I am completely capable of sticking to 3 meals while enjoying a burger or chicken from the grill.

I'll update tomorrow to track how it goes!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu May 31, 2007 12:14 pm

Sometimes it takes a while until you can think ahead enough to stay on program. It's just so easy to eat what's in front of you or to fall back to old habits. Be patient.

gilli

Post by gilli » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:16 pm

I'm resurrecting this thread as I'm realizing that I'm not getting younger and sticking to a diet isn't getting any easier. I have a problem committing to things, but I *need* to get my diet under control.

I think deep down, part of me is thinking that there's no point in sticking to it because it won't really work, that it's too simple and that only counting calories (or WW points) will do the trick. But that self-defeating attitude isn't doing me any favors, and I can't really judge the No-S Diet without really giving it a serious try.

Thus, I hereby commit to following the No-S Diet and recording my Daily Check-Ins for the next 30 days. I will post confirming my first day of success tonight before bed. 8)

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:11 pm

don't worry gilli, it's taken me quite a few new starts with noS, i think it get easier to folow each time. While other diet plans may work faster at first (i've tried many) you'll soon be sick of all the rules and regulations they force onto you.

Keep trying and don't beat yourself up over mistakes, just admit them and try to move forward. :)
When I asked for all things, so that I may enjoy Life, I was given Life, so that I may enjoy all things.

gilli

Post by gilli » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:11 am

thanks for the encouragement, murphysraven!

Day 1: Success! :D

B: Yogurt (I would normally eat more but I wasn't feeling so hot)
L: 1 piece of Italian bread with 2 meatballs, sauce & frezz mozzarella; an orange
D: Homemade pizza (2 slices), green salad w/ light dressing

gilli

Post by gilli » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:53 pm

Day 2: SUCCESS

B: Instant oatmeal, coffee w/ ff half & half
L: 2 slices leftover homemade pizza, green salad w/ light dressing, an orange
D: Rice pilaf, Chicken breast, edamame, spinach, apple, 2 glasses of white wine

gilli

Post by gilli » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:22 pm

Day 3: Success!

B: Light Yogurt, Whole Wheat toast w/ Natural PB & honey, coffee w/ ff half and half
L: Chicken breast, rice pilaf, green salad, an apple
D: Ziti, sauce, 4 meatballs, 1 slice of bread w/ olive oil, and broccoli. 2 glasses of wine.

I do think I will try & cut down on the wine except for on weekends though. I tend to sip a glass of wine while I'm cooking, and now that I'm not snacking all afternoon and have an empty stomach, it goes straight to my head.

gilli

Post by gilli » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:10 pm

Day 4: Success!

B: 2 slices toast w/ light butter & jam, yogurt, coffee
L: Leftovers...4 meatballs, ziti, sauce, broccoli, and an orange
D: Cheeseburger pie, peas, beer

I am so, so, so hungry in between meals. :?

gilli

Post by gilli » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:12 pm

Day 5: In progress

B: 2 pkts instant oatmeal, orange juice
L: Buffalo chicken wrap (wrap, lettuce, chicken strips, buffalo sauce, blue cheese)
D: Not sure yet

gilli

Post by gilli » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:55 pm

Blegh, I dropped the ball again. Picking it up now. No sweets, no snacks, no seconds. I can do this.

Murphysraven

Post by Murphysraven » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:00 pm

don't get discouraged gilli. Just pick yourself back up and try try again. It will get a lot easier! We're rooting for you! :D
When I asked for all things, so that I may enjoy Life, I was given Life, so that I may enjoy all things.

gilli

Post by gilli » Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:18 pm

Thanks, murphysraven!

I haven't been posting here, but I have been continuing to follow No-S. Last week wasn't perfect, but this week I have been sticking to the guidelines without any cheating.

I'm really starting to learn that my urges to snack aren't really true hunger, like I thought they were. I find that I get "hungry" about 2 hours after lunch, but if I have some water or tea and go on about my business, I stop being hungry an hour after that.