LA Times "hot diet"

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

reinhard
Site Admin

LA Times "hot diet"

Post by reinhard » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:59 pm

No S got its first major national US press this morning!

It's (briefly) "deconstructed" as one of "ten hottest diet books" in

http://www.latimes.com/features/health/ ... full.story

You can also see a picture of it stacked with it's 9 (bestselling!) brethren here:

http://www.latimes.com/features/health/ ... &cset=true

The format is basically "experts take potshots at 10 popular diets" -- so inherently a little unflattering.

Given that, I think we did alright! The author clearly liked it:
("charming techie patois," lots of direct quotes from the book, gave us the last word vs. the critics).

The "just another attempt to organize unorganized emotional eaters" criticism is absurd. What SHOULD we do with disorganized emotional eaters? Lock them in a cage? Shoot them?

If that's the best the experts could do, I'm really not worried (plus it doesn't seem like they made it past the cover. Being an expert that no one listens to is wearying work, no time to actually read the books they're reviewing!).

Certainly great to be mentioned in such company sales-wise... (though perhaps not efficacy-wise :-))

Reinhard
Last edited by reinhard on Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

maslowjenkins

Post by maslowjenkins » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:52 pm

wow! congrats! did you ever envision your little diet would make you a star?

peetie

Post by peetie » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:59 pm

Reinhard,
Methinks there really IS no such thing as bad publicity. Think of all the diet book writers who would give their last twinkie to have their book be photographed in that stack.

And the "experts" looked like they were just going for laughs, not the facts. And they got precious little of both.

Your books aren't arriving out here in CA til this coming week. (Borders, Barnes & Noble) Husband and I threw a hissy fit. I went ahead and ordered on Amazon.

Best of luck, and don't let anyone toy with your wonderful sense of humor,
Peetie

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:06 pm

The No-S book came out okay on the review! Congrats! :D

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:12 pm

Yeah, I didn't mean to sound bitter, I'm THRILLED.

Thanks for the local, reconaissance/advocacy, Peetie. I hope the dearth of copies doesn't result in outbreaks of physical violence. :-)

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:21 pm

Ooh I will have to read this review soon!
Never mind the barking dogs as the caravan rides by!
hahah :)
That sounds better in French!

Honestly Reinhard, that's great!!!!!!!!!!!
Peetie is right.
The real people who can be helped by NoS and who know better (been through *ALL* the crap and fad diets already) will come and enjoy and benefit!!!

Have a great day and congrats on getting great exposure!!!
Can't wait to see you on TV soon with Oprah!! :wink:
Love
Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

friscobob

Well Deserved.......

Post by friscobob » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:08 am

.......recognition, Reinhard! The best is yet to come!
Health Is The Greatest Wealth!

lilfrenchbee

Thank goodness for the Times

Post by lilfrenchbee » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:25 am

I am in LA and read the article about the 10 diets. I am glad I did because I found about the No S Diet. I had never heard about it before. After spending the past hour going through the information on the web, I can tell that it looks like home to me. I am ready to start. So, regardless of what the review said, it has brought one new recruit into the fold.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:40 pm

Welcome, lilfrenchbee! Great to see the article translate into new no-essers so quickly.

Relatively speaking -- no s came off pretty darn well. None of the 10 diets escaped unscathed and "charming techie patois" is certainly better than what the author had to say about bestselling "skinny bitch:"
You might like this book if you like: PETA; being ordered around by the loud rich girls at your junior high school.
I've heard that the No S Diet book hasn't actually made it into West coast stores yet. Have you had a chance to take a look?

Reinhard

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:31 am

reinhard wrote:Welcome, lilfrenchbee! Great to see the article translate into new no-essers so quickly.

Relatively speaking -- no s came off pretty darn well. None of the 10 diets escaped unscathed and "charming techie patois" is certainly better than what the author had to say about bestselling "skinny bitch:"
You might like this book if you like: PETA; being ordered around by the loud rich girls at your junior high school.
I've heard that the No S Diet book hasn't actually made it into West coast stores yet. Have you had a chance to take a look?

Reinhard
Have you noticed, though, that these so-called "experts" never like ANY diets? No matter how sensible it might be, there's always someone that says "well, this idea is terrible." I guess they're just mad they weren't hired to act as a dietician or something, but what they might not like about eating regular meals and avoiding snacking is beyond me.

pirateman2k

Post by pirateman2k » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:18 am

RJ, don't you know that you HAVE to eat at least 6 meals a day or your metabolism slows down?

:roll:

There is more pseudoscience than science in weight loss these days.

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:09 am

pirateman2k wrote:RJ, don't you know that you HAVE to eat at least 6 meals a day or your metabolism slows down?

:roll:

There is more pseudoscience than science in weight loss these days.
It's only a matter of time before they start telling us to just eat one big meal all day, never stopping. "If you stop eating at any point, your metabolism will slow down!"

~hf

Post by ~hf » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:52 pm

reinhard wrote:... None of the 10 diets escaped unscathed and "charming techie patois" is certainly better than what the author had to say about bestselling "skinny bitch:"

Reinhard
I just finished Skinny Bitch and that about sums is up perfectly! haha.

I'm in Ca so I just called my local Borders bookstore to see if the No S Diet was on the shelf. It's not and I was told that your name wasn't in their computer system so I looks like a book they wouldn't carry. I might go in and request they order a few copies. Maybe between a call and an in store request they will consider stocking it. It's been on my mind to buy a few and offer them to my doctor as waiting room copies...

frugaltexan

Post by frugaltexan » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:03 am

You can get a copy on Amazon for $5.18 + shipping new. (I finally ordered myself a copy!)
5'9 -- Laura --

Started July 23, 2009 -- 246.6
Restart: June 13, 2010 - 241.6
July 18, 2010 -- 235 .... - 11.6 lb loss in ~1 yr.
Back Again: January 13, 2012 -- 242.2 lbs

pirateman2k

Post by pirateman2k » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:17 am

RJLupin wrote:
It's only a matter of time before they start telling us to just eat one big meal all day, never stopping. "If you stop eating at any point, your metabolism will slow down!"
You have to get a constant stream of nutrients into the muscles. Otherwise, you're totally going to go catabolic, bro.

Fact check:

Your body has some elasticity in terms of how it uses calories. If you eat less, the metabolism slows. If you eat more, it speeds up to burn off some of the excess. This is how most people maintain weight over months, days, and years, despite varying energy intake.

But trying to take advantage of this by eating more often is sheer lunacy. "I saved 100 calories today by eating 1000 more than I need!"

It's like getting sucked into a 20% off sale and buying something you had no intention of getting in the first place... you're saving 20%, but you would have been better off by keeping the money in your pocket.

RJLupin

Post by RJLupin » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:17 pm

pirateman2k wrote:
RJLupin wrote:
You have to get a constant stream of nutrients into the muscles. Otherwise, you're totally going to go catabolic, bro.

Fact check:

Your body has some elasticity in terms of how it uses calories. If you eat less, the metabolism slows. If you eat more, it speeds up to burn off some of the excess. This is how most people maintain weight over months, days, and years, despite varying energy intake.

But trying to take advantage of this by eating more often is sheer lunacy. "I saved 100 calories today by eating 1000 more than I need!"

It's like getting sucked into a 20% off sale and buying something you had no intention of getting in the first place... you're saving 20%, but you would have been better off by keeping the money in your pocket.
Oh, I know. I was being sarcastic about the diet "advice" we all get, where they tell us we should be constantly snacking lest our metabolism slow down (which apparently doesn't really happen except for after days of constant starvation.)

It's so weird, all the contradictory things various diets tell us to do. Usually, they advocate an eating plan that in no way resembles anything ever practiced by any people on earth. The big thing now on the low-carb board I belong to is telling people that "whole grains are terrible for you, have no vitamins, and poison the body!" Yes, they are actually saying this, despite the fact that whole grains have been shown to reduce cardiac risk factors and have a favourable effect on weight. Another diet book I read a while back said we should limit our diet daily to "one pound of cooked vegetables, and one pounds of raw vegetables" with no oil, dairy, salt, nuts, meats, or fat. Sounds like a great way to live.