Before Book

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

swimfit

Before Book

Post by swimfit » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:41 pm

Hi everybody,
I am very new to No S Diet, I had never heard of it until I happened to run across the book. I was wondering if you all "before bookers" might want to share how you found out about No S and how it has worked for you! I would be very interested to hear!

1 week down and so far so good! :-)

Hope you all have a great weekend! :-)

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:03 pm

It was mentioned on anther site I visit and I was fed up with WW so I came to have a look and was hooked.

That was in Sept 05 and I have lost well with No S, but I have a nasty habit of being lured away by the promises of quick losses at other programs - only to gain it all back and more and then to crawl back here again because it is the only thing that makes sense in the long run (and the people here are so great).

I think I have finally convinced my brain that this is the only one for me and I will not be trying any more quick fixes, I may fall off the wagon, but I will stay put.
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:32 pm

Same - it was mentioned on an organization/productivity website I sometimes check. I read it, and thought it made sense. Did it on my own for a few weeks before coming to the site.

I'd also done WW, which I could lose on, but could NOT maintain on. Just took more attention than I could manage on an on-going basis. So the rationale about making decisions simple made sense to me.

I love it. Unlike MerryKat, I don't get lured away by alternatives. I do sometimes get sloppy with it (see my "backsliding" post). But even when I mess up, I feel as if I know what to do to be successful, and I CAN manage it.

I also like the ideas around failure, which I am trying to apply to multiple areas of my life.

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:27 pm

I accidentally came across it when looking for information on another diet. Tried it, loved it, was lured away by promises of big losses before a Bahamas vacation, came crawling back after I had to buy a bigger bathing suit for the trip instead of an itsy bitsy bikini. After my avalanche of a backslide (see KCCC's backslide post) I came back when my doctor remarked about my weight then said "Don't be an idiot". I love my doctor.
Heather

navin

Post by navin » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:45 pm

I found out about it, ironically enough, through a friend at a gluttonous party, who I believe knew Reinhard, or knew someone who did. That was a long time ago, maybe 4 or 5 years, and these plush message forums didn't exist yet. There was an old, less luxurious system, and Deb, if you're reading, I know you remember the old message board too! :D

I was kind of skeptical at first, as I am of most new things, but the more I read about it, and after trying it for a little while, I thought, "Hey, this ain't so bad.. maybe I can actually do this!"
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:50 pm

Though the author of the Stumptuous women's weightlifting site.

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php

babyprrr

Post by babyprrr » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:47 pm

funnily enough, I found it through googling the words "kate moss diet", and got directed to the homepage which read
this diet will NOT make u look like kate moss." Read through the three rules and was hooked straightaway.

Before NoS, every cookie/treat/snack was another difficult decision to make. Even for simple things like deciding what to have for lunch.."shall i have a bacon sandwich? Maybe I should have a salad and be good. But then I haven't had bacon for ages. Poor me. I never get to eat anything nice..."etc etc..then I would eat the sandwich, then feel bad and tell myself no wonder I was fat, and since I'd been 'bad' that day, I might as well go all out, so I would just eat some more junk..

Also went through prolonged periods of not eating, went on this crazy fasting thing where I had a piece of toast every morning and fast the rest of the day, and i was allowed to have dinner once every two days. Lost lots of weight in about a week, but gained it all back and more eventually. Also, it was quite difficult socially to pretend I'd already had dinner whenever people asked me if i wanted any.

joasia

Post by joasia » Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:41 pm

I was reading Will Clower's book the french diet and he advocates three meals a day and no snacks, like they eat in france. So I was doing google searches about three meals a day and, if I remember correctly, the nos site popped up. Will Clower differs in that he advocates absolutely no processed foods, foods with trans fats, high fructose corn syrup, and junk food. He believes in breaking meals into courses (unlike nos really). And having dessert if you are not "too full after dinner". He also emphasizes portion control and cooking everything from scratch using the best ingredients you can find. Which makes sense. A little strict to follow, although I would love to make homemade BBQ sauce, I don't always have the time or desire, and I can find BBQ sauce with no high fructose corn syrup in it. It is a good read and has some similarities to nos. One of the main differences is that clower recommends finishing a meal with a "chaser" like a piece of good quality chocolate or cheese, like they do in France.
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

Too solid flesh

Before Book

Post by Too solid flesh » Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:03 pm

I found NoS because it was mentioned (as being a wittily expressed diet) by a poster to Scott Adams's blog (Dilbert) a couple of years ago.

I've sometimes wondered whether anybody here made that post (if so, THANK YOU), and whether anyone else found NoS via that route?

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:01 pm

I found it through the owner of the local Curves in my area. She was promoting it as a safe and sensible way to lose weight and still lead a normal lifestyle.
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:54 pm

Googling "No Sugar" - like I could ever think of giving up sweets?

maslowjenkins

Post by maslowjenkins » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:19 pm

I also found it by goodling "no sugar" while looking for a diet book that I could not remember the title. That was in September 2004, when the site was just the main page manifesto minus all the red "NEW"'s. It made me laugh and it was a real aha! moment for me. By christmas, I was down 15 pounds!

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:19 am

I don't remember exactly, but I know that I was looking at an article about nutrition or something like that and it included a link about diets with funny names or quirky premises or something like this.
The link for this one site said something like "okay, this one was penned by a friend of mine who started eating this way, it worked and gave it the funny "No S Diet" name""or something like that.
I wish I'd remember better...

silverfish

Post by silverfish » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:22 am

Through www.43folders.com - organisation, GTD and "productivity pr0n" :)

K.

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:37 pm

I discovered No S in about October last year. I actually saw a link in a "getting organised" article on the Guardian news site (http://www.guardian.co.uk/) - I can't find the article now, but it was something short about getting organised and Reinhard was mentioned along with Everyday Systems. On reading about No S I instantly realised I needed this sensible approach!

I've been a vegan for 8 years and not had any significant weight issues but I've always had tendencies towards overeating (e.g. regularly eating past the point of being comfortably full) and I realised I needed a system to control my eating habits as my weight was slowly starting to creep up.

I have lost about 2 kgs since November (which I guess is something like a pound a month), and according to my fancy scales my body fat percentage has gone down from 29% to about 27%. I don’t have a particular goal weight in mind, but I’d like my body fat percentage to go down to about 25% and to generally just feel fit and healthy.

By far the best thing for me though is the higher energy levels, better digestion / less bloating and better sleep. I still have issues with feeling hungrier than I'd like, but ensuring a good supply of protein with meals helps (especially as my diet is lower in protein than that of most), along with drinking lots of water, and enjoying 2-3 coffees with soy milk throughout the day.

Lastly of course having S days is very important (provided you don’t go crazy with them) it’s important to give yourself a break from the rules and reward yourself often enough to keep up your motivation.

I've found this forum very helpful too if I have a question or issue or need some motivation to get back on track after having a few bad days (we all have them!).

Good luck!!

Also I’d like to express sincere thanks to Reinhard for this system, and to everyone here in this helpful forum!

p.s. I guess this has become a testimonial of sorts, so Reinhard, feel free to use it in your testimonials page if you like :)

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:46 pm

I heard about it on another board (a mom's board) and decided to try it out. I've been on here since Dec. 16 06 and dropped 22.5lbs.
Still working on it, Need to drop at least 40, if not 60 more yet.
Getting back on the band wagon after a few weeks of kidding myself... again!
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:03 pm

I think I was just doing Yahoo searches for a diet I could live with. This was in 2005. When I came across the description for No-S I laughed and laughed, then I joined. It's been up and down for me, but I think I'm here to stay.

Bumpkyns

Post by Bumpkyns » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:14 pm

I was fortunate enough to have a preview of the Women's World magazine, just last night.. before it hits the shelves. Can't tell you how though, I'll get my hand slapped! :wink: But I'm SOOOO glad I found it. It's a great article too!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:22 pm

Thank you for starting this thread, swimfit, and all who've contributed (and have yet to contribute). As you can imagine, I'm utterly fascinated by the subject.

bonnieUK -- Here's the link to the Guardian article. I actually did see this at the time (decent traffic spike) and was delighted. It was my first name brand, English language press pickup. I probably should have made a bigger deal about it on the boards.

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/wel ... 69,00.html

Let's hope his first line, "Moderation doesn't sell self-help books," turns out to be wrong :-)

Maybe I should put together a "press" page now that I've gotten into >1 newspaper...

Navin -- I think our mutual friend was Justin, formerly an active board member here, and now an organic farmer in Maine. Just saw him recently at our informal little book launch party in Cambridge.

Bumpkyns -- so this is where the "Woman's world is out already" rumor started! I wish I had your connections! I promise I won't snitch. I guess I'll just have to struggle to contain my impatience and wait a little longer...

babyprrr -- it's actually a little disturbing how many hits I get for "kate moss diet" and "victoria bekham diet." Glad I've deflected at least one searcher from the sea of far worse stuff you could read on the subject!

Reinhard

Reinhard

Reinhard

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:14 pm

hm...so someone in Tennessee got to see it, but you (Reinhard) and I haven't...booger!!

Hunter Gatherer

Post by Hunter Gatherer » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:26 am

As I recall I was reading Neil Gaiman's blog and followed a link to Nalo Hopkinson's blog, and a link there brought me to the Stumptuous site and there I followeed a link to Shovelglove and found No-S as a consequence.
"You've been reading about arctic explorers," I accused him. "If a man's starving he'll eat anything, but when he's just ordinarily hungry he doesn't want to clutter up his stomach with a lot of candy."
Dashiell Hammett

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:03 am

I was net surfing and found several references to it by posters to the Happiness Project. http://www.happiness-project.com/
I found both it and the Flylady site (http://www.flylady.net/) had really useful suggestions. No S sounded pretty good too. Am glad I found it. :D