Gwendo's Daily Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gwendo

Gwendo's Daily Check-In

Post by gwendo » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:50 am

Just discovered No-S today and I know I need to start this thread for myself right away to stay motivated. I'm 24, female, 5'3" and have gained 30 lbs in the past six months due at least in part to disastrous birth control which I'm now off of. Now, time to get rid of the weight! I have a history of eating disorders so I don't do well with overly prescriptive diets.

Got through Day 1 with no issues and I felt surprisingly okay. I have pretty severe hypoglycemia and have always been told that I should graze all day, but maybe avoiding sugar is more important than that for me. In any case, I feel good.

Breakfast (8:30 a.m.):
1 cup coffee
Panera spinach and bacon souffle

Lunch (2:15 p.m.):
Bowl of black bean and chicken chorizo soup (also Panera -- usually don't eat 2 meals out in one day)
Half Asian sesame salad
Sourdough roll

Dinner (8 p.m.):
Half peanut butter and jelly sandwich
Half turkey and swiss sandwich
Potato chips

Just iced tea and water to drink all day, and then a little of my boyfriend's beer in the evening. I almost cheated around 1 p.m. with a Pop-Tart (horrors!) but after one teensy bite it tasted dreadful, so I tossed it.

I call that a successful first day. Set my alarm early for tomorrow so I can cook myself a real breakfast before leaving for work.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jun 21, 2005 1:36 pm

Welcome, Gwendo. Be careful with the hyplglycemia. Grazing all day will likely turn you into a waterbuffalo, but you may want to consider an additonal official meal. Take a look at Kevin's checkin to see how he manages. Best of luck and looking forward to hearing more from you.

Kevin

An additional official meal...

Post by Kevin » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:26 pm

I've been seriously considering an additional meal in the late afternoon to help with hypoglycemia (I'm the Type I diabetic trying to eat just three meals a day - in fact, it's been working pretty well, mostly because I use an insulin pump.).

My suggestion to you would be pick the number of meals you think you need to eat and stick to it like glue. Obviously, if you're hypoglycemic, treat it. Even then, though, try to treat healthy: 4 ounces of orange juice rather than candy, for instance. (I don't know how hypoglycemics are treated: do you have a Bg monitor?)

The backbone of this diet is the development of a lifelong habit. The way to do that is to make a promise to yourself, then keep it. Then make another one, then keep it. If six hours without a meal is too long for you because of your hypoglycemia, then eat five much smaller, healthy meals. But make yourself that promise. Then keep it.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Kevin

One more thing...

Post by Kevin » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:31 pm

I noticed you mentioned your boyfriend's beer...

Beer is not precluded on the No S diet. You just have to have it with a meal. I drink one with dinner almost every night. I believe beer is proof that God loves me, personally (a joke, but a semi-serious one).

If No S meant no beer, I doubt I'd be on it.

I find one beer really suppresses my appetite. The second one revs it up beyond all reason, so I stick with one and savor it.
Kevin

gwendo

Post by gwendo » Tue Jun 21, 2005 11:55 pm

Thanks for the replies! I've always been able to control the hypoglycemia with diet. I think I'll be okay with three meals, but I'm not averse to changing to four if I have to. I've gotten very good at knowing when a real attack is coming on and doing something about it!

And Kevin, I love beer and read that it's okay on NoS... just have a really low alcohol tolerance and drink small quantities.

Today was another success:

Breakfast: Rosemary and olive oil bagel with light plain cream cheese; Gala apple; coffee

Lunch: Half a tuna sandwich; bowl of chicken and wild rice soup; roll with butter; couple bites of salad

Dinner: Broiled chicken; green beans with butter and shallot pepper; oven roasted potatoes

Both no snacking and no sweets have been a little difficult, but not too bad. I took a walk after lunch rather than getting ice cream (just made sure to walk in the other direction from the ice cream place!) and had a glass of beer after work rather than nibbling from the fridge.

I actually love eating real, full-plate, one-session meals for the first time in years. I feel so much more satisfied than when I was snacking all the time. And I think this will help me estimate good portions for me better. I haven't yet felt overstuffed nor starving. And for the first time in a long time, my blood sugar wasn't bottomed out when I woke up this morning.

Can't wait to do it again tomorrow...

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:17 am

Your meals today sound wonderful! What variety and flavor!

You seem to structure your plates in the same way that I do: protein, starch, veggie/fruit/salad. I find this very satisfying and sustaining.

gwendo

Post by gwendo » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:33 am

One more success despite timing difficulties:

Breakfast: Cinnamon raisin bagel with cream cheese; coffee

Lunch: Broccoli and cheese baked potato; cup of chili; crackers

Dinner: Turkey and swiss sandwich on an onion roll; potato chips; strawberry yogurt

I had an all-day training session today for work and had my mealtimes forced on me. Didn't manage to get breakfast before the session began at 8, so I had to wait until break at 10 and then scarf down a bagel in 10 minutes. Lunch was at noon, so I wasn't hungry yet, but knew I had to eat as the alternative was waiting until 4 (way too late). So I ate, but not enough, since my stomach was full from breakfast. By the time I got home and fixed myself a sandwich at 6:15, I had a splitting headache and was cranky enough that my boyfriend told me to eat before he would have a conversation with me, because otherwise I'd bite his head off. (Probably true.)

Still have the headache, but I stuck to NoS anyway, and that feels good.

Not sure if this is a blood-sugar problem or just hunger (or unrelated). I'm thinking through whether to switch to four daily meals. I could easily eat lunch at 11 or noon every day (the unpopular early lunches that no one at work wants to take). Then if I had a small meal as soon as I got home (like a sandwich or an apple and cheese and crackers) I could have 4 small meals daily, at 8:30, 11 or 12, 5:30, and 9ish (which is when we usually get it together to fix dinner).

Will see what happens tomorrow and play it by ear, unless anyone has any advice for me. I love the simplicity of three meals, but if four make me feel better, then they are better. A bonus is that smaller meals make me less tired afterwards.

Seriously cannot believe that I've now gone three days without any snacks or sweets.

sibyl

Post by sibyl » Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:24 pm

I'm a newbie too, so I would defer to the veterans in this but your four-meal plan sounds reasonable to me, especially if you split one "plate" of food into two...maybe your lunch and 'pre-dinner'.
Especially if you can't eat a proper dinner until nine at night - going nine hours without any food at all is hard to sustain. Yes, its not really starving, but it does play havoc with blood sugar levels (and moods, concentration, memory, etc).
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on its head".

margaret

Post by margaret » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:30 pm

I eat on the go and out of the box (i'm not much of a cook.) I stay busy at work reading everyone's postings and that keeps me from eating. Hard to eat when you're typing, sides, that's kind of hypocritical. Of course, i could do my job. :roll:
I'm going to put my food on a paperplate right now. It's lunch time. Good luck to you.
"E're she looked for the good, e're she found it.
Annie May Quigg 1891-1996

gwendo

Post by gwendo » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:48 pm

Day 4 Success!

Breakfast: Spinach and artichoke breakfast souffle, coffee

Lunch: One only moderately full plate from the self-serve antipasto bar at Sbarro (marinated green beans, tomato salad, chicken salad, tuna salad, pasta with olives and peppers), iced tea

Dinner: Pepperoni pizza and an apple

Getting easier...

I do have to work at Starbucks tonight which will mean resisting free Frappuccinos and pastry samples. But there'll be delicious unsweetened iced teas for me to busy my mouth with.

One more day till the weekend. I think I'm glad I started NoS on a Monday. That way by the time I get to my first S-Day, I will know for sure that I can get through a NoS week.

sibyl

Post by sibyl » Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:37 am

One more day till the weekend. I think I'm glad I started NoS on a Monday. That way by the time I get to my first S-Day, I will know for sure that I can get through a NoS week.
I have exactly the same perspective on it. Tonight I steadfastly ignored free cake sitting in front of me all night long, plus gourmet chocolate. And I haven't had dinner yet... :lol:
"I have no idea what you're talking about, so here's a bunny with a pancake on its head".

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:49 am

You are my hero Sibyl! Yeah, Starbucks isn't very NoS friendly...
I worked at Starbucks for about 3 months while I was studying for my massage degree... I gained about 8 or 9 pounds in less than 2 months, just from all that sugar and pastry! They serve *NOTHING* else there!!!!!
Ooh that chocolate is really wicked good too!
God bless your tenacious spirit!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

gwendo

Post by gwendo » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:44 pm

Day 5: Success (I think!)

Breakfast: Croissant, coffee and an apple

Lunch: Italian sub

Dinner: Half eggplant parmigiana sub minus most of the bread (because I got full and stopped eating!), two provolone sticks

I don't have to pay attention to whether this stuff is all "healthy", right? I mean, some days it has been, but today, not really. But on the other hand, I am eating actual food, and not gigantic amounts of it.

Now I get to see how I can navigate my first couple of S-days.

Kevin

Good goin' Gwendo!

Post by Kevin » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:03 pm

It sounds like you are doing very well. I would not worry about portions during your meals - just try to avoid "stacking" too much.

You'll find soon that meals won't be any larger than before... you will be hungry before the meal, but full is full, and you'll stop.

If you are still feeling hypo/headache, consider a fourth meal, and don't feel bad about it. Maybe make 'em a little smaller.

Do you have a Bg meter? It's amazing how sometimes I find that "low" is really just "hungry". I could feel low at 130 (which is not low at all) when all I really am is hungry... on the other hand, the one time in the last three weeks I was truly nasty to my wife and kids I was low, and probably had been for an hour or so.

I wouldn't mess around with hypoglycemia.
Kevin

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:39 pm

Hey Gwendo! Sorry I haven't welcomed you till today.. I was sick last week and a little behind with the group...
I agree with Kev, and it would be completely okay to have a small fourth meal... Just don't change it back and forth everyday... It should be a regular meal, and a habit, not just grazing... Grazing is usually very unaccountable and more like "Snacks"....
Take care of your body, and kudos to you for getting off that scary hormone therapy... The pill can also increase your risks of certain cancers...
I know what mood swings can be expected if I don't eat sufficiently, so it's really something that NoS helps me with...
I am also Bipolar, and you do not want to know me when I'm having a low glucose crisis... When I was pregnant, I was really really overweight and developed gestational diabetes... If I ignored my need for food, or was to scattered and distracted to remember, whoa mama, did I become a "B" on wheels!
Hope you are having a good week! You will adjust to NoS, just be very patient and diligent with it. If necessary, have a larger plate of food in the beginning... It took me about 7 months to downsize my portions... But, almost miraculously, this has happened almost unconsciously!
Yay Reinhard and NoS!!!!! Who couldda thunkit?
Have fun :)
Peace,
8) Deb

gwendo

Post by gwendo » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:24 pm

S-Day success!

I kinda thought I'd go nuts on my first S-Day, but I didn't. I actually skipped breakfast in favor of a late-morning cup of coffee, which I would never do on a NoS day. Lunch was a burger at Fuddruckers -- my boyfriend and I split an order of fries -- with club soda to drink. For dinner we had chiles rellenos. Then I enjoyed a couple of beers with friends in the evening. My only S concessions were a half a glass of lemonade, a couple sips of Coke, and a piece of bread pudding. Not too bad.

We're having an afternoon breakfast today: french toast with strawberries and maple syrup, sausage and scrambled eggs. I'm laying in some NoS friendly treats for next week. I picked up a pound of Rainier cherries, which I'd never had before. Wow, they're delicious!

Thanks for your advice re the hypoglycemia, everyone. I am taking things slow and not looking for dramatic results right away. Right now I'm just retraining myself to expect 3 meals a day, no snacks, and no junk. Once I've got the habit down, I can refine it if necessary.

This is seriously the easiest eating plan I have ever followed in my life.

gwendo

Post by gwendo » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:06 pm

Another couple of successes and a lesson learned...

Yesterday, for my second S-Day, I was determined to eat some ice cream. I've been watching everyone around me eat ice cream and feeling a little left out. We had "breakfast" around 1:30 in the afternoon, then around 5 I grabbed a couple of pieces of cheese and two squares of a chocolate bar. At 9 I was hungry, but it was too hot to cook and we didn't have anything ready to eat in the house. I wanted ice cream, but knew I can't eat ice cream on an empty stomach (hypoglycemic suicide). So we went to the grocery store and picked up chicken and biscuits, plus a pint of Ben & Jerry's. By the time we heated up the chicken, baked the biscuits and ate, it was nearly 11. I still had my ice cream (since the clock was winding down on my S-Day!), but it tasted soooooo rich that I only ate maybe 1/4 cup, if that. I call that a success in itself.

I paid today for my stupid eating yesterday, though. Woke up with seriously low sugar. I had a biscuit with marmalade and coffee for breakfast. I was in a hurry, but I should have known to add a yogurt or something. I was so lightheaded at work that I had to eat lunch early, at eleven. But I was feeling sick, so I couldn't finish my meal (salad, soup and a roll from Panera). Now it's 7 and I'm starving. At this point, I'm feeling too sick to eat, so I just have to wait for my blood sugar to stabilize. That can take hours.

My boyfriend is wonderful, so he's going out shopping for cold cuts and deli salads for us to eat when I'm feeling better, so we should have a great dinner in an hour or so.

I'm proud of myself for staying on NoS through this, and this experience has made me even more of a believer. It seems that I need to be really careful with my S-Days. I think I can still eat whatever I want, but just need to make sure not to eat right before bed, or eat sweets on an empty stomach. I know better, anyway.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:05 am

Hi Gwendo!
I've read that grapes or grapejuice are a good quick fix for low blood sugar and it's supposed to be closest to the makup of the sugar in our blood...
Maybe next time you're feeling woosie, you can pop a handful of grapes...
Why have to wait hours to feel okay... I'm sure, since it's really an issue of medical necessity, it would be approved here...

Sorry for that difficult day though... Hope you find a healthy way of dealing with your condition...
Good luck!
Love,
8) Deb

gwendo

Post by gwendo » Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:14 pm

Day 9 (Tuesday): Success!

Have I mentioned that I've felt relieved to be back to NoS days? Everything is much simpler. I don't have to obsess about food, and I know my blood sugar is unlikely to go all wacky on me.

An unexpected but wonderful side effect of NoS for me is that I've been feeling better about my body. Since I started gaining this weight over the past year or so (through a divorce, moving three times, a promotion, a new job, and the aforementioned disastrous birth control), my body hasn't felt like my own. It's been like this big ugly thing I have to carry around with me wherever I go even though I'd rather leave it at home. Just knowing that my eating is under control with NoS makes me feel so much better about myself. I don't know if there have been actual perceptible physical changes yet, but I feel good.

Also, when I get stressed out, my default reaction is changing from, "I can't wait to go home and eat a pint of ice cream to make myself forget about this!" to "I need to go for a long walk to get this stress out of my system."

Onward...

sibyl

Post by sibyl » Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:25 pm

my body hasn't felt like my own
I know exactly what you mean, gwendo. I often feel like the 'me' I have in my mind's eye looks nothing like the 'me' that I really look like. I am so glad that you're feeling better about your body image because of eating right! (Although with me, its not just weight - I've always disliked my appearance because of my face - and no diet can change that.)

gwendo

Post by gwendo » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:08 pm

Sorry to get all behind on my check-in, but things are going pretty well.

Funny stuff: On Wednesday, while eating my lunch, I broke a tooth. Nothing too catastrophic, only a chip on a filled molar, and no pain, but it's the first time this has ever happened to me and I was seriously freaked out. Too weirded out to eat any more real food, so I had 1/2 cup of ice cream in the afternoon.

Since Wednesday ended up being a sort of emergency S-Day, I'm switching and making today NoS. I figure it's either that or start the count all over, which I don't want to do because of a stupid chipped tooth.

I guess tomorrow is an extra S-Day? This is my first holiday on NoS, so I haven't decided how to handle it. I guess I'll read up and see what the rest of you are doing.

Day 13 and counting...

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:12 pm

Sorry about the tooth, Gwendo. Traumatic physical suffering definitely counts as an S. Hope the inevitable excesses of the 4th haven't knocked you off track.

sibyl

Post by sibyl » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:43 pm

Gwendo:

Ouch! I'd be freaked out if I lost part of my tooth too. I definately think illnesses and physical trauma are 'S' - maybe not 'indulgence days', but definately days to relax normal eating habits to accomodate the illness/trauma.
I hope you like your dentist. :)

gwendo

Post by gwendo » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:57 pm

On my way out the door, but just wanted to update quickly to say that I successfully made Sunday a NoS day to make up for Wednesday, and have had no funny stuff since. All I have to do is get through tomorrow, and then I'll have two S-Days, and that'll be 21 days!

Seriously, I never would have thought I could do this.

Still haven't stepped on a scale since I started, and this week has been REALLY HARD due to tons of work stress, but I've been getting through it.

Thanks for the support -- it REALLY helps.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:07 pm

Hey Gwendo! (ps.. That is one cool "fairytale" kind of name!!!)
I am rooting for you big time!!!
Best of luck and looking forward to hearing the details!
Love and Peace,
8) Deb
ps... How's yer tooth?

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:20 pm

Go, Gwendo! Two more days and over the finish line!

Work stress can make sticking to the plan really tough ... good for you for sticking it out!
Chance favors the prepared. - Louis Pasteur

gwendo

Post by gwendo » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:25 am

Well, I made it: 21 days and counting. There have definitely been days when I've craved ice cream, or felt like a snack between meals, but I've managed to stick them out. I have to say that the feeling of not having given in, not even once, is fantastic.

This weekend has been full of treats, and while I've enjoyed them, as usual I find I'm looking forward to another week of more structure.

I'm working on getting moved in to my new house, so I've gotten some exercise moving, but I would definitely like to build some exercise into my daily routine soon. When the weather starts to cool off, I may try shovelgloving with an honest-to-goodness shovel. The backyard of the house we're renting has been really poorly cared for and needs to be entirely dug up and replanted. We'd like to do the digging-up in the fall so we can plant a garden next spring. That should help me get into better shape!

Ariel King

Post by Ariel King » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:39 pm

CONGRATS Gwendo!!!! A big milestone down. Now you can post in the 21 club!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:40 pm

Congratulations, Gwendo.

Actual work is infinitely preferable to contrived exercises -- the trick is how to keep it regular. One idea is have a fallback routine, for days where you don't have the chance to do real work. Keep us posted.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 1:07 am

Congratulations Gwendo on your recent big success of 21 days done!!!!!
Good luck with your move and you garden! That is a true labor of love :)
Peace and Love,
8) Deb
Try using a watering can instead of a hose, so you have to actually carry the water to the plants!
Have fun obliterating all the weeds in your way!

gwendo

Post by gwendo » Wed Jul 13, 2005 2:25 am

Funny stuff today: I ate three kernels of caramel popcorn with my dinner.

We had a huge canister of the stuff that we'd bought at Target because it looked good to me and I thought I might like to have some on an S-Day. Well, tonight it was staring me down. So I figured I'd have a taste. It was good, but not fantastic. Now I know I don't need to eat any more, at least until the weekend.

One thing that's sort of disappointing to me is that not eating sweets for five straight days every week doesn't make me crave them any less. Perhaps this will change with time. Right now it's just willpower carrying me through -- and the knowledge that nothing bad will happen and I won't miss out if I don't indulge my craving.

Next time maybe I won't need the taste.

There's a half-full quart container of Starbucks coffee almond fudge ice cream in my freezer right now and, though I'm keenly aware of it, I'm not eating it.

This is definitely progress over my pre-NoS days.

Ariel King

Post by Ariel King » Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:55 pm

gwendo wrote:There's a half-full quart container of Starbucks coffee almond fudge ice cream in my freezer right now and, though I'm keenly aware of it, I'm not eating it.

This is definitely progress over my pre-NoS days.
Man, I hear that. I have 2 cartons of Breyers in my freezer right now. One vanilla, and one Twix candy bar flavor. Every weeknight I'm sorely aware of it sitting there, and that pre-NoS I would more likely than not be having a bit of it on any given evening. But every day I let it sit in the freezer is another notch of success. My cravings fluctuate, but they have definitely not died out yet. I can only hope they do someday. :twisted:

Some people prefer to throw all the tempting stuff away and get it out of the house. But I actually prefer having it there. It's sort of like a security blanket somehow; plus, it helps me chalk up the aforementioned success marks in my head. And I think it's important to learn to coexist with temptation.

Man, I'm longwinded! :roll:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:10 pm

Hi Ariel!!! You are certainly not long winded!!!
But you are a masochist! LOL...
:wink:
Why not keep an empty carton of Breyers in the freezer as the security blanket? :lol:
Love,
8) Deb

Ariel King

Post by Ariel King » Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:33 pm

Heh... it might seem masochistic, but I actually find it more satisfying to have it there and not eat it. I think if there were no ice cream in the house, then my mind would start telling me that the only reason I wasn't eating it was that it wasn't there for me to eat. Which, I think, would really undermine my faith in myself. Plus, then what would I do on the weekend when I really could have some? Yes I could go to Marble Slab or somewhere and get it, but nothing compares to the pleasure of having a treat in the comfort of my own home. Anyway I might change my mind on this later, but for now that's how I feel.

gwendo

Post by gwendo » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:14 pm

Just checking in to say that all is still well. I'm starting to learn that being hungry is not a calamity, and that I can, in fact, wait to eat. Also, I get far less hungry in the afternoon on the days that I have soup as part of my lunch. Weird.

Looking forward to the one month mark in a week. My stomach looks a teensy bit flatter in the mirror, but I haven't noticed much change otherwise. Again, I don't own a scale, so I have no idea what my weight is.

I know this is very un-Urban-Ranger of me, so I've been sort of loath to mention it, but I'm buying a treadmill. My basement's being remodeled, so I can't do it yet, but when the basement's done, the TV is going down there with the treadmill, so I can walk while I watch all the new fall shows. I'm really looking forward to that.

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:35 am

Hey, treadmill is good too!! Beats 100 degrees and humid or 20 below and icy, right?? Do it up. If that's what's going to do it for you, do it. :)

Ariel King

Post by Ariel King » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:58 pm

Yeah, R. calls them the "dark side", but to me, any tool that helps you exercise in comfort is a good tool. In most parts of the country, indoors is way more pleasant than outdoors this time of year.

gwendo

Post by gwendo » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:50 am

Still going...

Started Saturday about 20 minutes before midnight last night with a teacup full of ice cream. I was running a fever and needed to eat and bring down my temperature. The ice cream worked and I was able to get to bed.

Today I'm working all day (Job 1 from 8:30-2:30 and Job 2 from 6:00 to 1 a.m.) and not looking forward to it at all. I still have a temperature, I think. But I'll be picking up my new Harry Potter book today, and tomorrow I can spend all day reading. I'm definitely looking forward to that!

Now, off to take some drugs and find something I can stomach for breakfast.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:56 pm

Hope you feel better very soon Gwendo...
Peace,
8) Deb

gwendo

Post by gwendo » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:34 pm

Still sick. I'm actually taking a sick day tomorrow so I can rest and (hopefully) recover.

Do you guys modify NoS at all when you're sick? My stomach is bothering me, so I've been eating very small bites of things very slowly. My lunch -- a bagel with cream cheese -- took me over two hours to eat, because it was upsetting my stomach, but I knew I had to eat something.

I'm thinking I'll definitely stay away from sweets, but not worry so much about the all-at-onceness of meals until I'm feeling better. Big meals are really making me feel worse right now.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:08 am

Gwendo :)
I can say with full assurance from Reinhard, sick days are definitely S's...
Just don't worry about much but resting and have whatever you need to make you feel better...
Love,
8) Deb
Sorry you are so bleh now... Hope you get better soon!

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:48 am

Gwendo -- Try applesauce for an out-of-sorts tummy. It's bland and digestible and has naturally occurring pectin to help soothe things inside; also has some electrolytes to help keep you from getting dehyrated. Bananas are good too. Hope you feel better soon. -- Betsy
Chance favors the prepared. - Louis Pasteur

Ariel King

Post by Ariel King » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:51 pm

Sorry you're feeling oogy. Definitely don't worry about NoS right now, just eat what you can handle and rest up.

gwendo

Post by gwendo » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:19 pm

Just stopping in to say I'm still here and still doing fine.

I've been sick for over a week now, and am finally starting to feel a little better today. Because I haven't been able to eat much, I haven't been following NoS for the past week, but have definitely not been out of control. I'd say I've probably eaten half the food I eat in a normal NoS week.

I'm definitely looking forward to getting over this bug -- whatever it is -- and getting back to the NoS routine.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:06 pm

Get well soon, gwendo. As Deb said, sick days are S days (and it sounds like you're eating less anyway). Just resume counting where you left off.

gwendo

Post by gwendo » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:08 am

I think I accidentally discovered a new variety of urban rangering today: mall walking! I shopped from 10:30-5 and only sat down for about five minutes to eat a Wendy's Jr. Bacon Cheeseburger. I wish I'd had a pedometer on me!

By the way, although I am not back on NoS yet, I noticed today that I was full after eating the small cheeseburger and about 15 french fries. I used to eat a Burger King Whopper with Cheese, five chicken tenders and a small chocolate shake, all at once. Seriously.

I posted in the 21 Day Club about buying myself new clothes today. It was a really great experience to go shopping and treat myself to some decent looking things that really fit me, rather than trying to squeeze into the smaller sizes I used to wear. I have to get over my denial habit if I am ever going to get anywhere!

I'm going to start NoS again tomorrow and see how it goes. If I can't eat meals yet, so be it, but it can't hurt to try.