Ladies Only

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

FarmerHal

Ladies Only

Post by FarmerHal » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:25 pm

Seriously, guys, it's a bunch of icky girl talk, so hit the back arrow now!! LOL

Ok, so I"m having some pms/period issues and I'm wondering if it's just a fluke. I'm noticing the week of my period I am annoyed by cravings. I don't intend to have a sweet today but the last couple of days I just feel like I WANT something so bad, some dark chocolate would be just right!
I do have very heavy and long periods (going to see the dr. soon) and I'm going to be 31 in a couple of weeks, which is right when my mom started experiencing horrendous premenopause. I SO do NOT want to go through what she did!

Anyway, long way of asking "do you feel like eating sweets more than usual while on your period?"
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

silverfish

Post by silverfish » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:30 pm

Sometimes, but it seems to be a need for more energy. I try to eat more red meat and that seems to help. Also, I drink a lot of black tea (and I mean, a *lot* - it is my cure-all) so that takes the edge of cravings.

Jesseco

Post by Jesseco » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:10 pm

Those days may be only a memory for me soon (yay!) (I'm 51), but I did have serious cravings for sweets for one or two days right before my periods. My periods were not always regular, but I could always look back and say, "Oh, so that's why I was willing to almost do anything yesterday for that sweet!"

Nay

Post by Nay » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:13 pm

Shamrockmommy, I would give myself a LEGAL sweet -- for example, an English muffin with pineapple cream cheese (full fat) on it. I had that tonight as a part of my dinner and it hit the spot.

Or perhaps a fruited yogurt, or canned fruit in light syrup?

3aday

Post by 3aday » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:59 am

I know this feeling too well.
I drink black tea too to help get me through that time and I also do an allowable borderline sweet.
I'll have a piece of whole wheat bread spread with chunky peanut butter sprinkled with granola or a peanut butter and all fruit jam sandwich and a glass of whole milk for breakfast during that time.
I have to have it. :shock:
But, after the PMS, I go back to my regular breakfast.

It's the only time I really crave peanut butter, whole wheat bread, and milk.
It's my trade off. I used to eat loads of chocolate in the past but it's not an even an option any more. I didn't say I don't desire it but just saying "I can't have it until the weekend no matter what" helps.

Jaxhil

Post by Jaxhil » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:29 am

YES.

I know I do too-almost unbearable cravings for chocolate-I get this every time, a day or two before my period. Sometimes I give in-even a bite or two of a miniature piece of (dark especially) chocolate really makes me feel better. I have been able to overcome it most of the time, by distracting myself with something to do, be it housework, or a hobby.

And I think it's pretty normal-most women I know go through this too. I think everyone's given some great tips-some tea, or I know you like chocolate soy milk-something light to get you past the rough spots-I don't see the harm, as long as you don't go on a binge or over do it in any way.

hang in there!
Hilary
_______

"Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity."-St Augustine

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."-Thomas Jefferson

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:50 am

Yes, but I have to admit that it is an habit that I picked over the years here in California and being close to a girl that told me I *had* to have cravings, it couldn't be that I didn't.
Eventually, she got me thinking that having cravings is a normal, physical thing.
It's not, it's cultural.
Where I come from no one would ever pair PMS and cravings of any kind, it's just not in the culture.

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:14 pm

Mavilu, it's interesting to hear that cravings are cultural... I think you are right! We have so many sweets and treats here that I think now a days you are expected to snack and have a dessert after every meal practically!

I haven't commited this well to noS in a while, and I had a lot of slip ups, so I really wasn't paying as much attention to my appetite as I have lately.

Today is 21 days on habit :) Yahoo!

I think I'll just enjoy my chocolate soy milk, as Hilary says, I like it! And it'll do!
Thanks girls!
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:16 pm

shamrockmommy wrote:Today is 21 days on habit :) Yahoo!
Wonderful! Well done! It's the hardest bit.

GLENDA

LADIES ONLY

Post by GLENDA » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:34 pm

It is my understanding that you need 500 extra calories a day during your period. If you have been dieting as in cutting fat & carbs-it has been my experience that you will crave sweets! Maybe the answer is just "fatten" that plate during this week. I am 60 now but when I did have this I would always fall off my weight watchers wagon! No S is soooooo much better! Try a little more fat & carbs at meals-I agree with red meat too-maybe that will help! Calcium & magnesium are also alleged to help with chocolate cravings. :)

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:03 pm

Maybe it is all in our heads. We have been so conditioned since teenagers to think that sweet cravings are normal and TV makes it seem funny and acceptable to polish off a 1/2 gallon of Ben and Jerry's topped off with a pound of chocolate chip cookie dough. (Great, now I've done it, now I am getting cravings!!!!) We just have to stay strong. When we get weak, these things come along and take control over us. We are women for cryin out loud, we can do anything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am Super Mom, with the ability to cook dinner, clean up dog vomit and build a California Mission out of sugar cubes - simultaneously! So come on shamrockmommy, you can be my side kick, PMS Girl, with the power to say no to chocolate!
Dawn

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:45 pm

I've notices that sweets cravings is usually a need for more energy. I found when I have PMS that cutting back a little on my veggies and increasing my protein and whole grains prevents/corrects the problem.
Heather

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:12 am

Mavilu, thanks for adding that post.
It is possible that it is cultural.
I've been born into a culture that every woman I know here has those dreaded sugar and salty cravings. I've listened to my mom when I was a little girl talk about her cravings and my friends listened to their moms talk about their cravings and we talk about the cravings with our friends...and with strangers too! Heehee!
I may have conditioned myself to believe this.
Especially since I automatically change my breakfast a few days before as "preemptive craving control"!
I am going to trust you on this and check out your theory.
I have a deep down feeling you may be right and I have been riding the wave....
My "have to have it" attitude may stem from the same place where I swore "I had to have snacks" came from! Which I don't by the way!

But, I definitely feel more tired. Hence the caffeinated tea.

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:35 am

Thank you, gals for the attitude,I feared I was going to get yelled at, for my rather unsympathetic response.

I'm sure we feel the effects of our periods, because we are going through a body proccess that involves losing blood every 28 days or so.
By the way, I was taught that we need average an extra 100 calories, not 500!, unless you mean 500 calories during an average 5 day course, and that we need extra iron in those days, the iron alone I think might wreck our bodies sufficiently to have all kind of nasty symptoms.
I have trouble biking and power walking when I'm having my period, my legs feel like lead!, but, unlike food cravings, those symptoms, pain, cramps, tiredness, heavy limbs, whatever, don't lead to "rewards" in form of food and while you might need the extra 100 calories (which I doubt, after all, it's not as if we eat *exactly* the amount of calories we need, not one more, not one less every single day of our lives), I don't think that having craving needs does our waistlines any good.

Another thing that bothers me is the, I assume mostly male, assumption that when you are about to have your period or just having it, you are supposed to have a nasty disposition, which of course, leads to two problems, at least for me: one is that I'm expected to be nasty and over the years I seem to be getting cranky on those days just because of that and the other is that whatever your husband might do wrong, well, if you get mad, it's not that he did something wrong, is that you are getting mad because you are PMSing.
Seriously, the whole PMS thing is more of a disservice to us women than anything else.
Well, at least in my opinion, of course.

Blithe Morning

Carb

Post by Blithe Morning » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:03 pm

I tend to want to eat more but not necessarily sugar or chocolate. I can't figure out if it is emotional eating because I'm cranky or I'm actually hungrier. No-S is really hard those two days.

Dory

Post by Dory » Sat Apr 05, 2008 9:55 pm

I'm 51 and haven't had my period for several months now. Just before my period, when I was younger, I use to get very silly and giggle a lot. My Husband, then my boyfriend,always knew when I was getting my period because of the sillyness. I use to crave food any food sweet, salty anything. I litterly would pig out on what ever was in the fridge or the cabinet. Luckly it would only last a day but I felt dicusting afterwards.
I would consider myself lucky if I was only craving a piece of dark chocolate. By the way isn't having an ounce of Dark chocolate suppose to be healthy? I would think that your period could qualify as a special day. As long as the little bit of chocolate doesn't send you into a full pig out I think it would be ok once a month.

tracey

Post by tracey » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:32 am

The mention of black tea during TOM is interesting. I didn't have hardly any issues with TOM this month but I drank tea like a fiend last week.

Curious ....

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:22 pm

Well I have to say the "cravings" issue is much better. I'm wondering if teh heavey period issue is the deal. I made a nice beef roast and I feel a lot better.
I'm going in the end of the month to talk about an ablation or possible hysterectomy, it's getting that bad! And more frequent and loooonger. Ugh. Joys of being a girl!
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:31 am

Try meditation... no seriously!

In some types of meditation, e.g. Zen style, you learn to sit quietly and focus on something such as your breathing (or a candle flame), and when thoughts arise you learn to let them come and go without becoming attached to them or reinforcing them by being carried away on a stream of thoughts. Just doing 10 minutes a day can make a big difference (I'm a sporadic practitioner, don't always do it every day but feel better when I do).

Anyway, you can apply this same method to cravings, e.g. cravings come and go, if you just observe them objectively wihout letting yourself get emotionally involved with them, they do go away eventually, honest! I think it's also important not beat yourself up though if you do give in to a craving.

If that sounds difficult, then I'd recomend learning more about meditation techniques, there is plenty on the internet or you can find local classes through online listings. I found this page helpful when I wanted to establish a daily 10 minute practice:

http://www.mro.org/zmm/teachings/meditation.php

Specifically in regards to PMS - it's horrible, I've suffered with it for years, I'm lucky that I don't have particular food cravings, but just feel hungry all the time for the whole 7-10 days of it. I've eventually come to realise that my body just wants more calories at that time so I give it more (quite a lot more some days), but try to do so at meal times and without adding sweets. I also allow at least one PMS S day per month (depending on whether my PMS days fall on weekends or not) to make things easier.

Good luck ladies!

p.s. I should add, you don't have to be a Buddhist to practice meditation, I'm not. Also, people like to make out that meditation is something complex or esoteric, but I don't think it has to be - just sitting still and focusing on your breathing for 10 minutes is a start. Even going for a walk can be a meditative activity IMHO.

bonnieUK

Re: Ladies Only

Post by bonnieUK » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:43 am

shamrockmommy wrote: I do have very heavy and long periods (going to see the dr. soon)
It makes sense that you'd have cravings as a result of this, as I guess your body needs to replace what has been lost. When I had an IUD (horrid thing that caused terrible pain and 10+ day heavy periods - talk about affective contraceptive and for all the wrong reasons :lol: ) I found that taking vitamin E daily (400iu I think was the recommended dosage) helped reduce heaviness and pain. Sorry, not sure if it will do anything for the cravings, but if the blood loss is the cause of the cravings, then it may prove helpful ?

Good luck!

mckohtz

Cravings

Post by mckohtz » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:23 pm

Yes I get cravings too but I think your right the the body is just trying to replace what we have lost and the longer and heavier the period the worse it is. Try climaxing! It seems to shorten my period considerably.
"When we know better we do better" Mayou

carmij

Post by carmij » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:14 am

Sorry, this has absolutely NOTHING to do with NoS, but I wanted to pass this info along. If you're really having bleeding problems, before you resort to surgery, may I suggest something that helped me quite a bit when I too was going through the same thing a few years ago. Take some Red Raspberry supplements. It's an all around good supplement for women's issues. I took the liquid form. A dropperful in some water and it went down quite nicely--you can actually drink it in warm water for a tea-like drink. I can't tell you how much it helped me. I had extrememly heavy and long periods during my perimenopause phase. I mean HEAVY. I was told about Red Raspberry and things got better--fairly quickly too as I remember. I used Nature's Sunshine brand, but I think any would do.
Hope this helps. (oh and by the way, if you use it, don't be surprised to see that it sort of --how do I say it--'cleans things out'? You may think you're getting worse but in fact it's getting better.) Good luck.

GLENDA

LADIES ONLY

Post by GLENDA » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:42 pm

CARMIJ-i FORGOT ABOUT RED RASPBERRY! I told my tennis partner about red raspberry tea :lol: many moons ago & she said it damn near stopped her!!! I think it does help!- Glenda