Traffic on No S website, and new members

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Too solid flesh

Traffic on No S website, and new members

Post by Too solid flesh » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:28 pm

I'm curious about how much extra traffic the No S webpages are getting since the book was launched, and how this is reflected in membership. Is there any information on this that you can share with us without causing yourself extra work, please, Reinhard?

My impression is that posting rate to the bulletin board, and the number of people registering, is considerably up.

Nay

You can't count me as a 'new' member, really.

Post by Nay » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:07 pm

I officially joined yesterday, but I've been lurking for nearly a year, mostly because of shovelglove. But I've started no S after giving up on the fad diets!

maslowjenkins

Post by maslowjenkins » Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:39 am

you can go to the top of the page and look at memberlist to see for yourself!
there are 1554 members as of this posting.
there were 1357 as of december 31, so we are up almost 200 members in 4 months :)
the boare is much more active. I love it!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:02 am

There's no question there's been a major pickup lately. Maybe I'll make some kind of histogram to quantify this a bit better... I'm pretty sure we've had more new members in March so far than we've ever had in any other single month by a longshot. The volume of new posts and discussions has been such that I've been wondering whether "general discussion" is going to cut it going forward, whether I shouldn't maybe split it up into several sub forums (suggestions and votes for/against this welcome).

Reinhard

kotcherd

I'm here because of the book.

Post by kotcherd » Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:51 pm

2 weeks ago I got The Book at Barnes and Noble. What a gift! After 2 weeks I'm a dedicated Noser!

Blithe Morning

New Too

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:02 pm

Hi, I'm new to posting too but a long time, occasional lurker. I like No S because I feel better when I do it. And it's easy. And makes sense. The world seems a more ordered place on no-S.

mausfrau

Post by mausfrau » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:50 am

I lurked for a long time before joining too. I had kind of forgotten about the site until the book started getting mentioned on about a million blogs. :-)

But then I read a blurb about the book in the same post that mentioned some truly ridiculous things like the alternate-day diet (you eat normally every other day, but only eat about 500 calories on alternate days) and just thought about how sick I am of reading about stupid fad diets (and the fad diets have gotten SO MUCH STUPIDER), and decided it was time to do something sensible in protest.

nubiennelady

Post by nubiennelady » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:39 am

I just purchased a copy of No-S Diet from Barnes and Noble today. I swear when I walked into the bookstore I said to myself, "You are not buying another diet book today." :lol: But No-S caught my eye...

I read half of the book in the store b/c I've been burned by diets that call for calorie counting, eating only certain foods, etc. I've been on Weight Watchers on and off for years and I could never really get past losing 15lbs (I'm 40lbs overweight). I thought WW was the closest thing I would ever find that promoted a degree of moderation. I will happily start No-S on Monday. Snacking has been my dieting downfall - a bad habit I developed while in grad school.

So count me in as one of the newbies that joined as a result of the book and I have to tell you, for the first time in a good long while, I'm excited about a diet program because it doesn't seem to be overly oppressive.
Restart: 207 (November 16, 2009)
Goal: 180 (First Day of Summer - June 20, 2010)

No investigation. No right to speak. - Confucius

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:56 am

clevagirl73,

I am new too. I am on my second week. I found the book at B&N too and was also intrigued. I read it all in one day.

This is my 10th day and it has been really good.

Welcome to the threads,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:25 pm

Hi, i just joined the site this week and bought the book last sunday. For the past 8 months, prior to this week, i've kept a journal of everything i ate and added my calories etc. i can't believe i did it for so long, but nothing changed. i just found ways to eat more snacks and less real food to come out to my goal calories per day.

now that i'm removed from doing that, i see how much i was rationalizing snacking, and i've really enjoyed every meal i've had this week. This whole experience is one giant relief.

it feels so normal, i can't believe no one else wrote a book like this sooner.

Thanks Reinhard!!!

mjn

Post by mjn » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:43 pm

I have been lurking in the general discussion area for a few months, but I have a daily check-in that I do there. I love the plan. I haven't seen much weight loss yet, but I can do this plan for life. I have been wishing I could eat like I did when I was growing up and this plan has the answer. I would like to lose about 15-20 lbs. and I have tried quite a few diets over the years. I have had success, but can never maintain. I quit after 3 months on each of them.

Jamiebf

I am new as well

Post by Jamiebf » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:49 pm

I started on April 1st. Saw the womens world and went to Barns and Noble to get the book. I loved the concept. I no longer want to obsess about food. Thanks

sandooch

Post by sandooch » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:03 pm

I'm a newbie on this site, too. I read about NoS in Woman's World and went out today to get the book (last one on the shelf Image).

I joined this forum mainly to get success stories for my mom and dad, but I, too, need to lose about 10 pounds, so I'm on board also. I feel like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders; a weight that's been there for 30 years of yo-yo dieting.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:38 pm

reinhard wrote:There's no question there's been a major pickup lately. The volume of new posts and discussions has been such that I've been wondering whether "general discussion" is going to cut it going forward, whether I shouldn't maybe split it up into several sub forums (suggestions and votes for/against this welcome).

Reinhard
I think breaking the "general discusion" up into several sub forums that are titled appropriately is a good idea.
It would help in reviewing past posts.
I've been an active member in the Diet Power forum for several years,
and one thing I really enjoy is the format of that Challenge forum which changes monthly,
while there are "regulars", in each month different people come and go,
and it's a great way to get to know each other.

If you are interested in something like that....
Bill, the moderator/technician explains it all on 1st page of each month's Diet Power challenge .
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

CatholicCajun

Post by CatholicCajun » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:49 pm

I am new to this site also. I lurked while I read the book, and then decided to join, and I am so glad I did. :lol: God BLess.
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous

janiean1

Hello

Post by janiean1 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:18 pm

I love the bulletin board here very much! I also think it would be neat to have a chat!!

Janie :)

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:11 am

I love the site the way it is. I used to glance at 3fatchicks, which was broken down into so many subheadings that it was without any personality at all and very time consuming to find what you wanted. There were specialized subthreads for different problems, ages, weights, diets . . . I also spent a lot of time on a swim site (well, duh, my name is flipturn) which was changed to a similar format as 3fatchicks. Pages and pages were arguments conducted by two or three people, who are probably still dominating the site.