The No $ Diet

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

reinhard
Site Admin

The No $ Diet

Post by reinhard » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:46 am

This S has been mentioned before, but I thought it deserved home page billing:

http://nosdiet.com/#nodollarsign
Last edited by reinhard on Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:15 am

If that means that people who don't make money should be on this diet, then I guess I'm in the right place....

Hope I win the lottery... I won't forget you Reinhard when I do... and I plan on putting you in my will (of course after my son first!)
But I'm not dying yet so don't get too excited....

(In all seriousness I wish I was able to pay you something friend! Really...)

Wishing you the best and some $!
Love,
Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:34 am

I wasn't fishing -- please do Richard a favor and leave me out of your will! I just think it's amazing how much more eating less costs according to most diet gurus, and how many people seem to fall for this.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:40 am

I think that it's mainly because people only put a value on stuff that they pay for... Not everyone, but many...
Then, someone who pays for some plan, also, foolishly thinks, they will do better on that plan because they don't want their money to go to waste...
But no matter what, you can pay and pay, but in the end, the money isn't going to make you lose the weight...
Okay, I'll leave you out of my will... But I am going to say that you are now permanantly part of my
Will!
LOL...
Love,
8) Deb

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:18 am

It does seem true that expensive foods (snack foods, pre-prepared stuff) tend to be richer and calorie-dense -- whereas high-volume, whole foods that you prepare yourself are cheap and wholesome.

As for me -- lentils, baby, lentils. (Chickpeas and beans, likewise.) They fill you up, they're delicious, they're super-easy to cook, and they're so cheap, they're practically free.
Chance favors the prepared. - Louis Pasteur

BB

Post by BB » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:50 am

Like the saying goes, "The best things in life are free".
I don't know how many diet books @ $10-$20 I have bought only to find out that:
1: I can't afford to eat that way
2: There's no way I could do this for the rest of my life
3: I don't begin to have the money to buy all their supplements so that I can have "optimal health".

I like the peace of mind and the pricetag of No-S.

Take care.
BB

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:20 pm

I posted the following back in June, after my first week on No-S:
No-S Unexpected side benefit #1: I spent no money on groceries, 'cause I didn't run to the store for snacks during the week, and I finally went to those healthy items in the back of the cupboard & the freezer that sit there for like months and months (canned beans, veggies, frozen pita bread, etc.) I actually used them up during the week. Usually they sit there on the shelf, I eat up the snacks in preference, and then mid-week I run to the store "because I'm out of food" meaning I'm out of snacks.
Seems to be a case in point ... anyone else saved money on No-S?
Chance favors the prepared. - Louis Pasteur

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:11 pm

Yes, Betsy, indirectly, I am sure I am saving money... My "opportunistic eating" and "spending" is affected.... I'm doing that a lot less...
Probably saving at least thirty dollars a month on crap....
Thanks Reinhard!
(Now is I knew anything about making investements and saving that money!)
Love,
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:52 pm

Betsy,
I probably have saved money with no-S. I could probably go through my credit card statements (I pay for EVERYTHING on credit card) and actually try to figure this out for sure, but I've been too lazy to do that.

Though now that you mention it... that might be an interesting exercise (even if this kind of "exercise" won't build muscle or burn fat... :) ) Assuming I've saved some pre-no-S statements, I think I'll try to figure this out and get back to you.

But it does *seem* like I've saved money. I make less frequent trips to the super market, and those impulse fast food/pizza dinners are much less frequent now than they were back in the Dark Ages before no-S.

Justin

Post by Justin » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:01 pm

The main reason I first started the NoS lifestyle was b/c I'd eat two candy bars in the afternoon every day -- after some expensive coffee of course! So, by not eating the candy bars, I know I saved $1.50 a day. That's about $375 per year just for my afternoon $nicker$.

J

Ariel King

Post by Ariel King » Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:33 pm

Not sure how much I was spending on ice cream before NoS, but I guarantee it was more than I'm spending now. :D And I'm pretty sure our leftovers are going further whenever we make a dinner at home (or get restaurant food, for that matter).

Off topic, I think shovelglove is saving me $$ too - on our energy bill. Because I never want a hot shower after exercising, only tepid/lukewarm. :wink:

Anyway, great addition to the NoS page. I can't believe that wasn't there before; it's so appropriate!

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:02 pm

Well, i still buy stuff for my kids (not excessive amounts, mind you :D ) but as far as myself goes, i know i am saving money on the no-s plan:

1. No fast food during the week (just because i am trying to be a little more health minded in my choices...but still eating what i want!)

2. Not buying a lot of junk, eating it, then having to buy more goodies for family (or more for me :lol: )

3. I have been cutting out the muffin on my Monday coffee time with my Sisterchicks (But keeping the Mocha... :oops: ) This alone saves me about $2.50..and a ton of calories as well.

4. Not having seconds so i don't have to buy quite as much food to use for daily dinners to make sure everyone has enough...My teen boys tend to eat seconds, but they need it and are never eating TOO much. (all my teens are so thin, **sigh** the good ol' days... :wink: )

I'm sure i could go on...when i did those other diets, yeah, i was spending too much as well as dealing with more stress....so glad i'm no-sing!
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:25 am

Part of me thinks that one of the only reasons weightwatchers 'works' at all is cos you're not going to pay out 5 quid a week to be weighed and told you're fatter than ever...

...of course, nearly all the people I know who've 'suceeded' at weightwatchers are busy putting all that weight back on again, now they've stopped counting points religiously / gotten bored of trying to figure out the maths.

C.
CaroleJo

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:50 pm

Definitely save money on ice cream, too :)

Wishing my gorgeous fresh fruit wasn't so expensive...but that's not a change, so no INCREASE there.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:49 pm

I'm not snacking on breakfast cereal anymore, so there's some savings there. That stuff is expensive!

Prodigalsun

Post by Prodigalsun » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:44 pm

Well lemme see...

Even if I brought a lunch, it'd be gone by noon unless I brought alot, so I'd go and buy another one....that's like 7 bucks a day....

Then there's the 20 ounce soda, $1.25 per day

And a candy bar: $.75, $1.25 if I was feeling like popping for the king size.

So, during the week, I'm probably spending 40-50 bucks on 1000's of extra callories.

Wow...that's like 200 dollars a month. $2400 a year. Holy crap.

I guess it costs a lot of money to be a Big, Fat #@&%!
--

Starting Weight: 275
Current: 269
Goal: 190

"I shovel well, I shovel very very well."

Prodigalsun

Justin

Post by Justin » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:45 pm

Prodigalsun wrote:Wow...that's like 200 dollars a month. $2400 a year. Holy crap.

I guess it costs a lot of money to be a Big, Fat #@&%!
Nah. It just costs a lot for us to eat a lot of empty calories. Now that it's late summer, it's prime-time to be buying tasty locally produced fruits. Raspberry & blackberry season is at it's peak right now!!! They're kind of like little purple and red gems.

J

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:45 pm

So true. I swear, fruit starts to taste as sweet as candy (but better) when you cut out the sugary sweetie sweets!!

Berries are the best. So good for you, so low-calorie.

jgoddessoffire

Post by jgoddessoffire » Tue Aug 02, 2005 2:08 am

Cutting out the 'sugary sweetie sweets' has also made the (no suger added) spreadable fruit that I put on my toast too sweet. I find that I have to use a lot less.
namaste,
goddess

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:47 pm

It's really amazing how quickly our palate changes and we adjust...
Peace,
8) Deb

silverfish

Post by silverfish » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:04 pm

I keep having to change my breakfast regulars - I bought a muffin for breakfast the other day and could suddenly taste the sugar in it, and yesterday my usual cereal (Australian Bush Foods, I think :) tasted like someone had poured a tablespoon of sugar over it. Fruit juice is plenty sweet enough now, and a neenish tart on the weekend makes me feel ill :(I did like them).