jobs

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
joasia

jobs

Post by joasia » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:20 pm

I am going through a bit of a personal crisis. Thought I would post here to get some ideas. Here it is: I hate my job. The problem is that my education is very specific and I don't know if I could find other work without going back to school and starting over. I am willing to do that, but I would like to get some ideas. Currently, I am a elementary teacher in California. Why do I dislike my job? I could write a book, so I won't bore you. I have a B.A. in English, a master's degree in education, and a California Multiple Subjects Teaching Credential. I don't mind staying in the field of education or working with students one on one, but I don't want to teach in an overcrowded underfunded classroom anymore. I need to make a change, but it seems that the only thing I am qualified to do is teach. Any ideas? Maybe people could list the jobs they have.

Thank You
The destiny of nations depends on the manner in which they feed themselves. Jean-Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

KC 7707

Post by KC 7707 » Wed May 30, 2007 12:04 am

It seems to me that you possess multiple skills that would carry over to other areas. Being a teacher you are a practiced public speaker who can command the attention of a group of people. You also have experience dealing with and being part of a bureaucracy. Putting together lesson plans also seems to me to be a valuable skill. A Master's degree is also a big plus. I could probably think of other things so I'll post later.

Kevin

franxious

Post by franxious » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:56 pm

I don't know if you found anything or not, but you might check out testing organizations. I work for the ABIM, for example. I'm sure there must be some in CA. Having a degree in education is a plus.

paulrone

Post by paulrone » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:42 pm

Ditch it completely and join the exciting world of sales!

Stop laughing. I'm serious. Why is everyone laughing? I saw you roll your eyes :roll:

I love it, actually. Your paycheck is tied directly to your efforts. Slack off and you go broke, work hard and smart and you get paid well for your efforts. You just can't beat it.
-Sometimes Fundamentalist and self-appointed King of the S-day Moderates
"As it is (sometimes) written, so let it (sometimes) be done."

navin

Post by navin » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:01 am

The first question I'd ask myself (well, metaphysically speaking - you don't actually have to talk to yourself) is what do you really want to do? You certainly wouldn't want to get into something you dislike just as much.
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

paulrone

Post by paulrone » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:44 pm

What about teaching private school?
The pay is better, you'd have more funding and parents would actually be involved.
-Sometimes Fundamentalist and self-appointed King of the S-day Moderates
"As it is (sometimes) written, so let it (sometimes) be done."

droth

Trade up...

Post by droth » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:15 pm

Have yo uthought about teaching college?
Started No-S 04/07/08
Need to lose 80 lbs.

DianeA2Z

Become a Wellness Consultant

Post by DianeA2Z » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:41 pm

Be your own boss! You have wonderful organizational and leadership skills as a teacher, plus you obviously have a gift for imparting knowledge. I have a j.o.b., but I'm tired of everyone telling me how much money I'm "worth", I'm tired of having to schedule my life around other people, I'm tired of being told there is a ceiling on how much money I can earn. Networking Marketing is the way to go! You can utilize your social skills by meeting with people one-on-one, you can utilize your organization skills by using the Internet and your own website and you can utilize your leadership skills by showing others how easy it is to duplicate your business. Just be certain to choose a company whose products you believe in and use, a company that produces more than one product, and a company that provides lots of support and does all the R&D, production and shipping for you. Choose a company that's been around for more than 30 years; choose a foreward-looking company and a company that encourages it's consultants to have fun while building a solid future. And last but not least, choose a company that requires less than $100 to become involved with.

Best of Luck to you! I'm sure you'll find just what you are looking for.
Diane
Visit www.MaximizeYourWellness.com
(Ok, a shameless plug). I'm just here to learn how to say No to the S!

Beachgirl

teaching

Post by Beachgirl » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:48 am

Hi!!!
You are scaring me!!! I am just starting out in my career path to be a teacher. I have been a Hair Stylist for 13 years and I am looking for a change! I ultimately want to be a college professor. I would love to hear why you don't want to teach anymore!
Thanks,
Beachgirl

DianeA2Z

Especially for Beachgirl

Post by DianeA2Z » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:41 am

Hey Beachgirl,

My response was to Milczar, who actually listed reasons to dislike teaching. Far be it from me to ever dissuade anyone from wanting to teach! Heaven knows we need all the good teachers we can get. My youngest son teaches 9th grade history. Now I would be very unhappy teaching children in the 9th grade; I'd prefer to teach much younger children, but I'm not a teacher.

Beachgirl, if your dream is to pursue teaching, then for goodness sake, live your dream! Life is too short to not pursue a living that makes you a happier person. Be whatever, and as many things as you can be but don't be scared off by anyone! Good luck to you and enjoy your teaching career!

Diane

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:35 pm

milczar- have you thought about tutoring/educational centers. A girlfriend of mine with similar credentials went from teaching in an inner city 1st grade classroom to working in a center that does tutoring as well as educating young athletes whose training schedule does not fit with public school hours. I'm sure California has a lot of young entertainment workers who need to be educated.
Heather

Beachgirl

Thank you

Post by Beachgirl » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:07 am

Thank you for the dream support!!!
Beachgirl

DianeA2Z

Re: Thank you

Post by DianeA2Z » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:08 am

Beachgirl wrote:Thank you for the dream support!!!

:D