Despair! End of first week with 2.5lb gain!

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

menew99

Despair! End of first week with 2.5lb gain!

Post by menew99 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:25 pm

I just completed my first full week with No S. All of my N days were a success, but I just stepped on the scale and I gained 2.5lbs. Has this happened to anyone else? I know that I should not focus on the number on the scale, but I feel that I must measure my progress somehow (which is why I decided to weigh myself only once per week).

The gritty details:
-My N days were all a success. I ate slightly bigger meals than normal, and none were low fat or rabbit food meals, but I didn't snack and didn't eat sweets
-I my S days were a bit overboard, I admit, but to the tune of an extra 2.5lbs?
-I jogged walked 3 mi on two days, and no exercise on the others.

Any advice or tidbits of wisdom would be much appreciated. I really do love this diet, but I was hoping for at least an itsy bitsy lose!

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:34 pm

How do your clothes fit? Feel tight, loose, or normal?

You can get an amazing amount of scale variation for no reason - 2.5 could mean NOTHING. Also, if you're gaining muscle, it will weigh more (but look better).

Do NOT let that number dismay you and lead to giving up!

lmt2pt

Post by lmt2pt » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:37 pm

Measure your success by days on habit, not by the scale. The first several weeks are about creating the habit. Once the habit takes hold the weight loss comes on its own, but the habit has to come first.

Also, is any of that weight water retention? Dietary changes often cause the body to retain water "just in case".
Heather

AnnaBanana

Post by AnnaBanana » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:43 pm

Weight can fluctuate greatly day to day. Are you near your cycle? Did you eat a lot of salt yesterday? Did you start an exercise program this week? Your muscles can retain fluid when you're exercising. You might have actually lost fat this week and gained muscle and the scale doesn't show that.

My sister-in-law once drastically changed her eating habits and began exercising religiously and did not lose a single pound for 5 weeks. Then that week she got on the scale at the gym and lost 8 lbs. No rhyme or reason to that. It's just what her body did. Everyone is different.
Laura Ann
SW: 282
CW: 173
GW: 150-185

Then the time came when the pain of staying a tight bud became greater than the risk it took to bloom.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:12 pm

menew99,

I can't say for sure but I agree with some others that focussing on habit .. you might try HABITCAL which is fun ... might be helpful.

Also, i am learning that there IS a certian amount of skill involved ... I notice sometimes I put more food on my plate than I need and not as often, put less.

I am confident that OVER TIME I will get better at this ... not perfect ... but better. I think the key as Reinhard says is build the habit and let that kind of carry you,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:24 pm

This is exactly why I am not weighing myself. Those who love getting on the scale might want to say I am in denial. How will I "know" if I don't weigh myself? Well, my rings are looser, my pants are looser, my belly feels flatter when I first wake up in the morning, the puffiness in my face is gone... There are so many other and, in my opinion, better ways to measure my success.

My husband lost 4 pounds this week. (We just started on Monday.) There is no way I would have lost 4 pounds. If we were both weighing ourselves and I had gotten on the scales this morning too, I would be feeling discouragement right now. I do not intend to ever let the scale ruin a beautiful week for me again. Been there, done that far too many times.
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:28 pm

Jill,

that is so true. If me and my husband weighs he inevitably ALWAYS loses more weight than me and it is DISCOURAGING!

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

CrazyCatLady

Re: Despair! End of first week with 2.5lb gain!

Post by CrazyCatLady » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:08 pm

menew99 wrote:I just completed my first full week with No S. All of my N days were a success, but I just stepped on the scale and I gained 2.5lbs. Has this happened to anyone else? I know that I should not focus on the number on the scale, but I feel that I must measure my progress somehow (which is why I decided to weigh myself only once per week).

The gritty details:
-My N days were all a success. I ate slightly bigger meals than normal, and none were low fat or rabbit food meals, but I didn't snack and didn't eat sweets
-I my S days were a bit overboard, I admit, but to the tune of an extra 2.5lbs?
-I jogged walked 3 mi on two days, and no exercise on the others.

Any advice or tidbits of wisdom would be much appreciated. I really do love this diet, but I was hoping for at least an itsy bitsy lose!
I would say to give this more time. Trust the process! As others have said, you are learning new habits, and that takes time. It sounds like you really had an excellent week...successful N days, significant exercise two days. Really, you are doing just great!

If you think of the longterm goal...being able to eat "normally", while slowly losing weight...you are moving towards that goal. Keep doing what you are doing...sounds like you are on the right track!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:28 pm

This is usually a fluid retention issue. To gain 2.5 lbs of fat, you would have to have consumed an extra 8700-odd calories pver the week. If you stuck to No-S, I can almost guarantee you didn't unless those meals were mostly plates of bacon.

Things that can cause a short term gain of weight, but not fat:

Certain points in the menstrual cycle
Excess salt
Mild dehydration
Change in exercise routine (causes the muscles to store glycogen)
A radical increase in carbohydrate consumption
Some medicines
Lack of sleep

Things that can cause long-term gains of weight, but not fat:

Exercise that puts on muscle.
Weight bearing exercises (like walking) that helps to increase bone density

Things that cause short-term loss of weight, but not fat:

Getting rid of retained water
Overcoming constipation
Dehydration
Depleting glycogen stores in the muscles (that's why low-carb diets have dramatic initial results).

Things that cause long-term loss of weight, but not fat:

Starvation diets (your body consumes its muscle before it'll hit the fat stores if you drop your calories below about 1200 a day in the long term).
Inactivity that will cause muscle atrophy.

No S is incredibly big picture, which it should be. If you're scale obsessed, try to change it to a habit focus.[/list]

Sueze

Post by Sueze » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:07 pm

This is my first week and my first S day! I had a successful week, and I weighed myself on Tues. lost a 1 lb., then got anxious and weighed myself on Friday, and was back up the 1 lb. I was upset for a minute, then I was over it ! I have vowed to only weigh myself 1x a week.

I did that a few years ago on So. Beach and it helped with the daily flucations! It is easy to get frustrated on any diet because we are a generation of instant results! It is more important to find balance and set healthy, realistic goals then expect instant results. It took me 1 year to lose 45 lbs on S/B, so hang in there! This is much more doable then S/B, and entirely more furn!! Sue 8)

noSer

Post by noSer » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:59 pm

If you feel you must weigh yourself, and I admit to needing the feedback, then try this. I learned it on another diet. Weigh yourself everyday - about the same time if possible. Then at the end of the week, average your weight. The next week, do the same. Then compare the averages. This gives a more realistic comparison than a one time check. If you weigh yourself once a week, and it's a 'heavy' day, it can be discouraging. Hang in there!
It's more of a waste around the waist than it is in the garbage pail.
Beginning again 04/19
April 2019: 242 :(
July 29, 2019 218.5
Aug 5, 2019 220.5
Oct 28, 2019 205.5
Nov 11, 2019 203

menew99

Post by menew99 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:05 am

Thank you, everyone, for the great tips and support. I think that I am going to find this forum to be a key component of my success!

I really love this diet and so far it is easy for me to stick to. I've been on crash diets, fad diets, celebrity diets--you name it. Until now, everything I have tried has made me feel miserable and like a failure. I don't get the negative feelings on this diet, so that alone is enough to get me through this little disappointment on the scale.

I'm going to work on portion control, smart food choices and not being an idiot during my S days going forward this week. That way, I won't have the nagging doubts that I am some way sabotaging myself.

chops

end of the week weight gain

Post by chops » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:09 am

dont beat your self up---- i have a scale that depending on wih room i put the scale in i weight differnt amounts talk about confusing -- you can be happy in one room cause the scale says 3lbs less and in another room i use the same scale and it says 5lbs heavier so yuck --- all i know is my clothes are fitting better and i have a lot more energy soo use how ya feel instead of the number on the scale--- be well chops

sandooch

Post by sandooch » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:08 am

I'm sorry if this was already asked by someone and I missed it, but did you weigh yourself right after your S days? I weigh in on Saturday morning, once a week. I'm not expecting a big loss each week because I only want to lose 15 pounds, so I try not to get upset if I don't lose or maybe even gain. This is a whole new way of eating for me, and I know I really went overboard on my first S days (trying to take it easy this weekend :wink: ). No loss for me so far, but no gain either, and I don't feel like I'm dieting. I think that's pretty awesome! :D If it takes me a few months to lose my weight, then so be it. That time is going to go by anyway; might as well enjoy the ride, right?

Sandy