Influencing and inspiring others

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Mavilu

Influencing and inspiring others

Post by Mavilu » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:24 pm

My husband knows that I'm NoSing my way around and while he was alarmed at first (no snacks, whaa?, you'll starve!!) now, he has gotten used to that, the no snacking, the anticipation of some sort of desert on the weekends for sure and something he has noticed: smaller food and supermarket bills, but, so far, he has had no intention of changing his eating habits, even when earlier this year he was told by our doctor that he has to lose weight or take hypertension medicine for the rest of his days.
But, I have been noticing lately: my husband isn't piling his plate as he used to any longer, I think I have shamed him into that, which I hate, but, I noticed yesterday that he isn't leaving the table with an: "Oof!, I ate too much" exclamation any longer.
He used to receive whatever portion I gave him and then declare it wasn't enough for a big guy like him and get more from the serving dishes and then he would go back for seconds (and so would I).
Now, he receives the plate, he eyes what I have served myself and most of the times accepts his portions and even better: he no longer eats seconds, he just don't, because I don't, which has made the: "Oof!, I'm stuffed" trademark of his a thing of the past.
I think he is on his way to be a NoSer himself, he has been influenced to finally change for the better!.

And then there's the case of an Internet friend; he is on his early twenties and we have been frequenting the same couple of sites for years, he also comments of my Internet blog, anyway, I've talked about NoS when I first discovered it, last year and a couple of days ago, he left a comment in my blog telling me that he had told his sister about NoS and that she had tried it for a couple of weeks and had loved it and so he decided to try it as well and that now both were very happy that they had learned about NoS!.
I gave him a link to this site and he said he was bound to get the book as well.

Yay influencing people for the better!.

So, gals (and guys) have you noticed people around you emulating you in your NoS habits, influenced those around you, have you gotten positive effects, other that in your mind and body since you started NoSing?.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:30 pm

Years ago I read a quote that was about raising your children rather than influencing adults: "Your children more attention pay to what you do than what you say." Works for adults, too.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

CatholicCajun

Post by CatholicCajun » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:43 pm

So far the only influence has been on my husband, while twisting his arm and "encouraging" him to try this plan :D ' I imagine that once the weight loss is noticable people will want to know what the plan is and then since I own a bookstore (Christian) I can order the book for them, which is what I did for myself. God BLess.
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:50 am

uh ... oh we are travelling in reverse in my house! :D
I think my husband is fearful I will put him on another diet ... so he is rebelling...

actually this is really funny, he is not overweight at all but he doesn't usually eat sweets, now whenever he goes out to eat at lunch he is having a dessert... I tease him and say he is rebelling from MY diet!

I don't know ... he used to always tease me about being the sweet eater, it will be interesting to see how this goes overtime... but otherwise we are probably both overall eating less, because when my food is in line ... seems like for the most part his is too...

we like to eat together :)

as for others I work at home and haven't had a lot of others to share with yet, but believe me if anyone ever asks they will get an earful!
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:51 pm

I have lost about 3 or 4 lbs.. almost four, getting there. ANYWAY, it's noticeable but I'm not inspiring anyone, lol. My fiance, he's content with his belly and I would never ever try to push a diet on him. He knows about it and he sees the difference, but...doesn't care to try it. My mother-in-law says it would be "impossible" for her because there are "constantly" goodies brought into her work. Then she'll complain she needs to lose 10 lbs. My brother-in-law is doing well with 6 small meals...some "cave man" diet. I sent my sister the website and she didn't read it. Girl at work was interested (she's not even fat) b/c she's been gaining a little weight. Gave her the web site, not sure if she read it.

So I'm not very inspirational!

WARNING, TANGENT: BTW, I walked into the kitchen at work and the Women's Day article about No-S was out for anyone to peruse or take. Haha! I still have mine and always will. Which is big b/c I am constantly throwing away mags as soon as I am done with them. I'm phobic of clutter.
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:58 pm

I have told my sister and my niece about No S and told them the website and to get the book. I don't know if they have bothered to look at the site, and I'm not going to push them.

I have also told my daughter, not becuase she needs to lose weight but because I'm doing the plan. And I know she talks about snacking too much, so I thought this might help. But again I'm not pushing it on anyone. I haven't even told my boyfriend about it, although I think he suspects something :lol: and just hasn't said anything. He's probably waiting to see, if I start losing weight, or if I say anything to him.

Other then that I haven't told anyone else about it. Just haven't really had the opportunity.
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:33 pm

I left a copy of the book at the gym, am going to buy a copy of the book for my office, and give a copy to one of my former colleagues who is on WW. :)

f

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:44 pm

I mentioned it to DH. He wants to do his calorie counting thing which I can understand as he's been successful at it in the past. Of course, he gained back some of the weight, but he doesn't see yet the unsustainability of calorie counting. He just thinks he got lax.

I mentioned it to one other coworker and she didn't get the no-snacks part. She likes her almonds and other "healthy" snacks.

I don't have a huge amount of weight to lose. I think the best advert will be, at least for DH, when I stop crying around about the 10 lbs I want to lose and wallowing in self loathing because I'm fat. He really hates that because nothing he can say makes me feel better.

I have made peace with whereever my weight ends up while No Sing and exercise is where I am meant to be and that will be that.

No S is for life in every sense of the phrase.

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:12 pm

Kinda hard to influence people when so many of them have seen us on umpteen million "diets" over the years. I think it's going to take a substantial amount of weight loss and then a substanial amount of time on maintenance before anyone will really take us seriously. Besides most of my serial dieting friends and family want instant gratification and are not interested in the long term. Maybe they don't obsess about it as much as we do, maybe it doesn't get to them mentally like it does it us, maybe we are nuts huh? I just know next year when everyone is dusting off their diets because summer is coming, I will not have to go there. I will happy where I am and happy to just keep doing what I have been doing to get there and stay there.
Dawn

sassy

Post by sassy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:13 pm

I have not told anyone that I am nos'ing and guess what? Not one person has noticed! As long as their supper is ready and they have snacks they couldn't give a rat's behind what I eat or if I eat. I won't tell my husband because he has always tried to sabotage any diet that I've tried. So, yep, I'm not inspiring anyone else either. Maybe one day, after the weight drops! (However, that being said, I do inspire myself that this can be done and that I do actually have willpower)

sandooch

Post by sandooch » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:16 pm

Good for you for setting good habits for your hubby. I wish mine would jump on the bandwagon since he has to take medication for hypertension.

He hasn't seen me lose more than a pound in almost 3 weeks, so that's probably holding him back from joining me. But my father has been doing this with me and has lost about 5 pounds. You'd think that would light a fire under my hubby's bum! :lol:

Sandy

noSer

Post by noSer » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:44 pm

Inspiration...hmm

Well, I told my sister, haven't heard back from her. Hope she isn't offended.

Except for Wosnes, I noticed that most of us have only been on this diet a month or two, so it's a little hard to inspire too many yet. I agree that it's the long haul, and seeing us succeed, not just be excited that will inspire people. When you're not losing at a rapid rate, it takes longer for people to notice.

As for me, I will just be content with inspiring myself for right now.

Have a great day!
It's more of a waste around the waist than it is in the garbage pail.
Beginning again 04/19
April 2019: 242 :(
July 29, 2019 218.5
Aug 5, 2019 220.5
Oct 28, 2019 205.5
Nov 11, 2019 203

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:02 pm

this is funny, b/c i told my sister about it and a week later she told me she bought a cookie with her kids on friday and saved hers for saturday! it was very funny, but she's loving the diet. she's had 3 kids and is 3 sizes smaller thanme, but is ALWAYS on a diet.

i also told a few co-workers and the one said 'I thought something was up, you weren't eating snacks or anything I thought you might be sick'

but i don't know if any of them are doing no-s, but they were all interested.
Amyliz

START: 03/30/08 - 158- 161lbs range
Current: 145-148lbs range
On 12/22/09 I saw 145 on the scale for the first time in 7 years!

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:34 pm

Well, if we are not influencing others right away, then, this is another think to look up to in the future: a time in which our good habits will have taken enough root as to make others finally notice!.
I do agree that inspiring ourselves is good enough reward, too.
Thanks everyone for answering!.