Associated Press mention of No S Diet

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

reinhard
Site Admin

Associated Press mention of No S Diet

Post by reinhard » Mon May 12, 2008 7:13 pm

Another article in the expert takes random potshots at 10 popular diet books without necessarily having read them format. So a little inherently unflattering. Still, No-s is near the top this time!

The article is popping up all over the place. For example:

http://books.niethestate.com/?p=208

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24529555/

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... oks09.html

http://canadianpress.google.com/article ... dIgS07Vy_w

Might be time to put up a press page...

Reinhard

CatholicCajun

Post by CatholicCajun » Mon May 12, 2008 7:21 pm

I just read the link for the first book "review" by some expert, so if she is right that successful people lose weight by eating 5-6 times a day, how come we are still an overweight nation? And how come all the experts can tell you how to lose the weight, but none of them talk maintenance? In my opinion, the ratio of experts to sucessful, is not so good. We have tons of experts and not much success with the obesity department. They cannot even agree among themselves what is right or wrong. Thank you and God Bless you for this system.
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous

NoelFigart

Re: Associated Press mention of No S Diet

Post by NoelFigart » Mon May 12, 2008 7:41 pm

reinhard wrote:Another article in the expert takes random potshots at 10 popular diet books without necessarily having read them format. So a little inherently unflattering. Still, No-s is near the top this time!
Here, if this kind of thing bothers you (negative responses do bother me a little sometimes), maybe this will make you feel better:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face in marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Mon May 12, 2008 7:49 pm

I agree with CatholicCajun...If grazing...eating 5-6 meals a day was so successful...then why are we still so obese...and why haven't we been doing it for hundreds of years...like we have been the No S system in slightly different but essentially the same ways?

I'm tired of listening to the 'experts' tell me what to eat and how to eat, while I continue to get and stay fat!!!!!
From now on I'm going to listen to the only true expert there is for me....MY BODY! It tells me the truth that works for me...it doesn't tell me lies...or one size fits all advice...it just tells me when to eat and when to stop...I just have to listen. It tells me how much exercise I need, to get healthy and stay that way. I just have to listen. It has been telling me for 31 days now that eating like I did when I was a child, like people have been doing for hundreds of years...makes it very happy...and it is on it's way to becoming the healthiest, leanest it has been since I was a teenager!
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

Amyliz

Post by Amyliz » Mon May 12, 2008 7:53 pm

from the first website link:

"Some perspective: The book preaches three daily meals, says Blatner (the expert). But the book allows no snacks except on weekends and holidays. “We do know that snacking controls hunger,†she says. People who lose weight successfully eat about four to five times a day, she says."

Who are these supposed 'people'??? I realize I present a bias, but these are the type of arbitrary diet statements that people cling to and really don't add up.

in my opinion and experience

:wink:
Amyliz

START: 03/30/08 - 158- 161lbs range
Current: 145-148lbs range
On 12/22/09 I saw 145 on the scale for the first time in 7 years!

BrightAngel

Re: Associated Press mention of No S Diet

Post by BrightAngel » Mon May 12, 2008 7:53 pm

reinhard wrote:Still, No-s is near the top

Reinhard
When it comes to diet books,
All publicity is good publicity
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

CatholicCajun

Post by CatholicCajun » Mon May 12, 2008 8:09 pm

It's funny that OrganicGal should mention eating like a child, in the last weight loss group I belonged to, that was one of the statements made, that we as adults, have lost our ability to eat like a child, they are not concerned about food, they just go about enjoying life, they eat when hungry and stop when full.

JustAnnie

Post by JustAnnie » Mon May 12, 2008 8:14 pm

Commenting from a Type 2 Diabetic's perspective, I know that eating frequent snacks tended to keep my blood sugar levels high throughout the day which, of course, is not a good thing. On the days I eat three good meals and no snacks, my blood sugar stays more level and at much lower levels, which is, of course, a VERY GOOD thing.
Just Annie

You Can't Fail Until You Quit Trying

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Mon May 12, 2008 9:01 pm

Grrrr!:
“We do know that snacking controls hunger,†she says.
Yeah, so does eating all day long, did this woman even read the book, when she criticizes this she implies that the book is about deprivation.
So there goes the premise of the book: Moderation.
Grrr!, I'm beginning to really, really believe in a conspirancy to keep us fat.

CatholicCajun

Post by CatholicCajun » Mon May 12, 2008 9:27 pm

JustAnnie wrote:Commenting from a Type 2 Diabetic's perspective, I know that eating frequent snacks tended to keep my blood sugar levels high throughout the day which, of course, is not a good thing. On the days I eat three good meals and no snacks, my blood sugar stays more level and at much lower levels, which is, of course, a VERY GOOD thing.
And yet, every doctor and "expert" will still tell you to eat 5-6 meals during the day.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Mon May 12, 2008 11:04 pm

Aren't these similar (or identical to) the review that was in the LA Times about the time No-S was published?

I know that CR is positively associated with health and longevity -- whether it be something purposeful or accidentally done. I also know that some people are obsessive about weighing and measuring their food so that they don't consume too many calories.

http://nymag.com/news/features/23169/

CR doesn't have to mean "food restriction." As NoelFigart found out with her salad -- one can eat a substantial and filling amount of food for very few calories.

I stumbled across an example of this way of eating about 8 years ago and didn't recognize it as calorie restricted. It sounded like a healthy way to eat and something my family could follow without complaints about the food (as they did with vegan dishes).
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue May 13, 2008 12:05 am

wosnes wrote:Aren't these similar (or identical to) the review that was in the LA Times about the time No-S was published?
Yep, more or less.

And probably some schmuck in my line of work accepted about $25 to rework the article enough to pass Copyscape and have it populating blogs.

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Tue May 13, 2008 3:21 am

You can leave a comment at the end of this article!
http://books.niethestate.com/?p=208#comment-48

:lol:

whitway

Post by whitway » Tue May 13, 2008 3:27 am

I figured it out :D Well not what I typed into GOOGLE but I discovered your diet through the Dietblog (www.diet-blog.com). I appreciate their reference to your diet as I would have never discovered it otherwise. Looking forward to going back to the way life should be in America and changing the way I view food. I hope to someday post a testimonial. I have about 70lbs to lose to get to my ideal weight. :D

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Tue May 13, 2008 3:29 am

Welcome, Whitway. So glad that you found No S! :D

whitway

Post by whitway » Tue May 13, 2008 3:33 am

CrazyCatLady wrote:Welcome, Whitway. So glad that you found No S! :D
Thank You very much! I appreciate knowing there is a place where there are those like yourself who are willing to give support when needed. I look forward to being able to offer it as well.

CatholicCajun

Post by CatholicCajun » Tue May 13, 2008 2:53 pm

whitway wrote:I figured it out :D Well not what I typed into GOOGLE but I discovered your diet through the Dietblog (www.diet-blog.com). I appreciate their reference to your diet as I would have never discovered it otherwise. Looking forward to going back to the way life should be in America and changing the way I view food. I hope to someday post a testimonial. I have about 70lbs to lose to get to my ideal weight. :D
Good Morning and Welcome. God Bless.

JamieS.

Post by JamieS. » Tue May 13, 2008 8:35 pm

We do know that snacking controls hunger," she says. People who lose weight successfully eat about four to five times a day, she says.

Except that in my case, the more I eat, the more I want to to eat. I've lost almost thirty pounds on N0-S and weight the same as i did as a high school freshman. Snacking simply made me fat.