Hello, all! I'm new to this...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

green

Hello, all! I'm new to this...

Post by green » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:37 pm

Hello! Today is my second day as a No S'er, and I can emphatically say that both days have been a flop! LOL. But, I have learned a few very important things:

1. I really am addicted to sugary foods.
2. I never say no to food, which probably explains why I am overweight!

So, yeah. I am a female, 5' 6, and 242 lbs. So, that's my "before picture" and we'll see how it goes. I'm going to start adding in some exercise...I have to say I'm quite exctied about shovelgloving. I tried out a nice sledge hammer in the hardware store...you can imagine the looks I got from the store owner, especially when I told him that I intended to buy it for exercise!

Anyway, I'm really excited about this new way of eating because it has a psychological approach to it, and being a psychology major in college, I understand the benefits of changing your thinking...

So, anyway, drop a note and introduce yourself!

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:51 pm

Hi Green, welcome to the best weight program in the known universe!

I've been here about three and a half months, and have been very impressed with the people here. Very supportive, great sense of humor.

I wouldn't say that your first two days were a flop, since you learned two important lessons from them. Just keep trying and you'll end up okay.

Have you discovered the Daily Check-in yet? It's great for accountability and support.

Again, welcome! Hope to see you on the Board often!

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Sat Aug 13, 2005 1:59 am

Hi Green! (gee, that is my favorite color! :lol: )
Welcome to No-S! I think you'll enjoy this way of thinking about, and treating food.

Oh, don't worry about "flopping"! It takes a few flops sometimes before you really settle in. Believe me, i am the Queen of Flop! :lol:

Great to have you aboard!
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:04 am

Hey Green! Welcome to the group!
I am not too far from where you are now, and have actually been even
"fuller" in the past.. I am 5'2" or 5'3" and I'm about 210 right now... I think I was around 225 when I began...
Great to hear you love Shovelglove! It is really a unique and fun activity...
For once and for all I wish someone would just post a story about the time when they bought the sledgehammer and simply said to the counter person "My ex is gonna get it now!" LOL!!!
Good luck with the plan...
Post often!!!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

JWL

Post by JWL » Sat Aug 13, 2005 5:35 am

Welcome Green (it feels like spring when I say that....)

No-S is powerful in its simplicity. The beautiful thing about "flop" days is that you get a new chance tomorrow. The rules are simple, so just follow them. Once you get used to it, your body will adapt to the cycle, and you will start to feel different.

For me, the trick is psychologically convincing myself that I can actually survive not eating until the next meal. In my case, I usually have 2 meals on N days, one around noon and one around 6pm. So if I get hungry during the day, I just remind myself that hunger pangs are a sign that my body MUST get its energy from stored reserves, rather than from the contents of my digestive tract. A nice metaprogramming trick. In order to develop my metaprogramming confidence about this, I tried a 48 hour fast once, which turned into a 72 hour fast as I just continued riding that momentum. I've done 2 of those. If I can go 72 hours without food, then I can certainly go for 12 no problem.

I also had to institute a no-eating after 9pm rule, just to nip-in-the-bud any chance that I may revert to old nighttime bingeing habits.

Even if you don't follow the letter of the No-S law precisely, chances are in even attempting to do so you are eating less than you used to. I know I certainly do. So even days that are "flops" will in all likelihood represent a tangible improvement from old habits of gluttony (again, this has been my experience).

You budget your food intake, so it gives you a chance to really get into the meals you have. I find myself Zen-ning out when I eat, chewing my food more slowly and with more repetition. Savoring every bite.

In terms of exercise, I think walking is perhaps more important than shovelglove. Though shovelglove is very, very fun, once your upper-body gets used to that strenuous work. I'm also throwing "Hindu Squats" in the mix as well for my exercise regimen.

In the end, the Everyday Systems routine is one promoting health, which is not necessarily weight loss. I imagine anyone on the routine will get healthier, whether or not they actually lose weight. Some shovelglovers may actually gain weight from building muscle mass.

What a diatribe. I'll stop now.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

navin

Post by navin » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:27 pm

Hey Green -

Not only is green a great color, it is also a very nutritious color of food to eat... :)

But aynhow, I think you've picked a winner of a system. For me it was really tough the first week... and even now (been doing this over a year) the "Sweets" is still pretty tough. But it gets easier, and it's amazing how much junk food you can cut out of your diet by just following this simple moniker. And in that process, it's still not overly restrictive.. as it is an S-day I am about to walk to the store to get me a banana and some mix, which will soon render a nice chocolate banana smoothie.

peetie

Post by peetie » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:08 pm

Green,
For me it is key to make sure I eat only foods I really love. That way I am not off looking for a food thrill my body doesn't need, which usually translates to SWEETS.

When I am well fed with healthy, yet tasty and satisfying foods, I am amazed how little sweets tempt me. And I am one of those who could easily plow through a birthday cake single handedly, and then follow it with a Ben and Jerry's chaser!

Peetie

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:37 pm

Welcome, green!
1. I really am addicted to sugary foods.
2. I never say no to food, which probably explains why I am overweight!
Sounds like you picked the right system!

Brace yourself for two things:

1. it may take a few false starts to get the habit down. Don't be discouraged. It won't always be this hard. Once you get the habit down, it's easy, natural, and pleasant. Unlike every other diet, the hard part with no-s is up front, it gets easier as you go.

2. it takes time. Be patient. This is about fixing a lifelong habit, not about squeezing into a bathing suit 2 weeks from now.

I'm happy you're considering shovelglove, too. It's a lot of fun, just be careful to take it really slow in the beginning.

Looking forward to hearing more from you,

Reinhard

green

Post by green » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:59 pm

Wow, it's nice to hear all the encouragement! So, yeah, I will start posting on the 21 day club thingy when I find it in here. Today, I start again with the no s diet, so I'll keep you posted there.

On the other hand, I never expected so many interesting comments about my user name. I have a few reasons for picking it. First of all, I'm obsessed with nature, and green is everywhere. It's the color of life. The second is that I really love spring time, and that's the greenest season of all. The third is that my favorite shade of green also happens to be my first name, but I'll leave that one for you to figure out.

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:56 pm

Olive? Jade?
Chance favors the prepared. - Louis Pasteur

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:03 pm

Emerald?

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:36 pm

Lime?
Chartreuse?
Sea? Pea?
Forest? :wink:

Oooh, Teal?

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:21 pm

Bottle?

Paris?

Vert?

celadon?

Spring?

:wink:

green

Post by green » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:37 pm

Wow...Emerald would be a great name. I really thought it was obvious, though...my name is Kelly!

green

Post by green » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:42 pm

Is the daily check in on this forum? I'd like to use it. Until then, I'll say that yesterday was an "oops" day. :) I ate a sugary cinnamon pretzel, and didn't even think about the no s thing until I was finished with it! So, yeah...it's hard to get used to because I've never really tried to limit my sugar intake, but now that I am catching myself, I am realizing how much sugar I eat!

So, anyway, today makes day 1...again. Man, I need to make a 2 day club....like, post when you get past two days. LOL.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:51 pm

Hi Kelly Green! :D
You can start a check in on the Daily Check in forum...
Just start a new topic and name it as you like...
You will have plenty of chances to screw up and start over considering this is for life... sorry you had a little blunder the other day, but it's small potatoes in the overall picture if you are truly committed to changing your habits... that should be the main emphasis here....
We all know how hard long term bad habits are to change...
Luckilly NOS makes it that much easier and pleasurable!!! That's why it works....
Good luck!!!
Peace and Love
8) Deb

Who likes chartreuse real well! :wink:

Kevin

Welcome, Kelly

Post by Kevin » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:20 pm

Good luck with No-S. It's not always easy, but any success will actually help. Nothing succeeds like success, so keep one promise to yourself, from one meal to another, and every one after that gets easier.

I'm glad you are doing shovelglove, too, but let me suggest you check out Urban Ranger as well. SG is serious exercise, maybe using muscles that you haven't used in a while. Go slow!

On the other hand, it's hard to hurt yourself walking. And, truly, I think Urban Ranger is better weight loss exercise than SG is.

SG canmake you seriously strong though, without adding excess muscle mass. It makes you the kind of strong you need to be: it's like cross training for everyday activities.
Last edited by Kevin on Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:25 pm

Hi Kelly.

I don't see that you have made a daily check in yet but I had to say that yes, my son had a girl in his class last year named Emerald. It is a pretty name, isn't it? I still like Kelly too. :D

Best of luck with No S-ing. I don't think I could stick to it without all the support that I get here.

Sincerely,

Dru

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:26 pm

I went to high school with a girl named Kelly Green. I also knew a Heather Gray.

Personally, I was rooting for Sea.

Anyway, welcome Kelly!!