What's the Point?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

blueskighs

What's the Point?

Post by blueskighs » Sun May 18, 2008 3:55 pm

So does anyone besides me 8) ever think when being presented with the oppoturnity for sweets, snacks, or seconds on N days think ...

WHAT'S THE POINT?

that is kind of my fundamental answer, whenever I am approached with these "things" on N days... what's the point? when I can have my sweet treats, multi course meals, and even throw in another chai tea latte on S days AND NWS days if I really want it ...

Guilt Free
Pleasure Full
Well Deserved
Rewarding

WHAT'S THE POINT?

I don't really get that much further ... than that these days. What about you guys?

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sun May 18, 2008 4:17 pm

I'm not there.
Today is an S Day.
I've given myself permission to have sweets and seconds,
but decided I want to keep up the no snack pattern toda
in order to work toward a 21 to 30 string of no-snack days.

It's mid-way between breakfast and lunch,
and I'm struggling against beginning what I know will become a at least a permasnack day....
and most likely a binge day.
It's an emotional eating issue I think.
Right now, I'm feeling sad, for various possibly valid personal reasons.
I took a nap. I woke up.
Right now there are many activity choices available for me,
and there's nothing else I really want to do....except eat.

It is an S day, and I could eat whatever, whenever
but this is not about freedom...
and it's not about punishing myself...
it's about distracting myself from uncomfortable feelings with excess food.
That's my Habit.
and today it feels like hard work to avoid it.

Will I be successful overall today?
I don't know, but right this minute I am.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

whitway

Post by whitway » Sun May 18, 2008 5:23 pm

I'm on day 7 and that's how I felt the 1st week but I know FULL WELL that as I progress it will get harder and harder. I do hope that "What's the Point?" is what goes through my head week after week on N Days. :D

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Sun May 18, 2008 5:32 pm

I haven't felt "what's the point", but I have seen a treat on an N day and felt happy that I could successfully No S, rather than feeling bad that I "couldn't" have the treat. It is definitely getting easier, and more natural to pass by those treats and sweets on N days. And, I choose them less often on S days as well!

The S day indulgences are so much more rewarding since they don't make me feel out of control. And I have more treats that I easily pass on. Like last night, thought about having chocolate dipped pretzels, but really felt full from dinner. So I figured, why not wait until they sound good AND I'm hungry for them? That might be today, or in a few weeks. It is so nice to have the "power" of food diminishing as the power of habit increases.

Sheiler

Post by Sheiler » Sun May 18, 2008 5:55 pm

Blueskighs, It's awesome that you've reached a point where the Habits are starting to reinforce themselves. That's a great place to be.

BrightAngel, You've been an inspiration to me since I started here. I'm sorry to hear that you're having a hard day. I see that you've bumped some older posts up for all of us to use as inspiration as well. Thank you for that too. I'll be thinking about you today and hope things get easier as the day goes on. We're in it together, but in the end we all have to do this for ourselves. Good luck today, and go a little easy on yourself. Hugs.

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Mon May 19, 2008 12:59 pm

Blueskighs, I agree with you on the What's the Point thinking on N days...but I even found myself thinking that this weekend and they were S days!! :shock: :) Talk about a miraculous change in my thinking!! :wink: :lol: I passed up two of my favorite salty foods because I thought to myself...Why? I knew I was going to have a good meal in about 2 hours and it just wasn't worth the effort to eat the nuts and ruin my "appetite" for the coming meal. And wilth the meal my friend had my favorite salty chips.......not worth the effort to eat them. Such thinking would not have been possible before starting No S. :D So, yeah, What's the Point is going to be a catch phrase that will stick with me. Thanks!

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon May 19, 2008 3:46 pm

I passed up two of my favorite salty foods because I thought to myself...Why? I knew I was going to have a good meal in about 2 hours and it just wasn't worth the effort to eat the nuts and ruin my "appetite" for the coming meal.
Rheba,

SO COOL 8)

Blueskighs

Jessies Daughter

Post by Jessies Daughter » Mon May 19, 2008 5:07 pm

I hear you Blueskighs

I am the consummate "grazer" I use that word to disguise the fact that I am am/was a "HAPPY" eater. I would stop at the grocery store everyday to painstakingly shop for dinner. My shopping was so painstaking; dinner was sometimes at a very European 9:00 -10:00 at night. I ate well and I ate much.

I guess I had gotten so tired of not losing weight that I was ready to try anything! I instinctively knew that if I was going to lose weight I would have to change my eating habits . I also knew that eating was tied to my emotional ups and downs.

WOW! My dog barked, I guess I will have to fry a family pack of wings (my family consists of two people and two Chihuahuas.) GEE! I woke up 15 minutes early this morning! Sounds like pancakes, waffles, sausage, bacon eggs and ham. Golly! Greys’ Anatomy will be on at 9:00, let me run to Marble Slab and get a quart of Amaretto and Pecan ice cream with four sugar cones (I would share the ice cream but sometimes not the cones)

No "S" has given me the opportunity to stop and smell the food. I guess it has allowed me a vehicle to make choices regarding my eating habits. My grazing was always mindless. See food, think food eat food. No "S" added a caveat to that. See food, think food, and make a CONSCIOUS DECISION WHETHER TO EAT FOOD. Key words for me “CONSCIOUS and DECISION"

I have been very strict with my no "S" days and that has shown me that I do not HAVE to graze. As much as I though I would miss gazing, I don't.

This is the second weekend that I have really kind of wondered "did I miss something? Am I supposed to want that Key Lime pie or that extra helping of food or that salsa and chips?

The funny thing is that the answers have started to come from my body and not my head. If I listen to my body then I realize that I am NOT HUNGRY and that I DO NOT NEED FOOD. My head will tell me anything so I am learning how to politely tell it to "shut up!"

I guess I have started to try and let my days blur and while I have more freedom on "S" days I also have more responsibility. It is the responsibility that allows me to say NO whether the day is an "S" or not.
I call this a No S “Thingyâ€. I have never been on a successful “Dietâ€. My brain thinks a "Thingy" is a new way of eating food, a LIFESTYLE CHANGE.

HabitCal: http://everydaysystems.com/habitcal/vie ... &t=NoSDiet

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Mon May 19, 2008 8:34 pm

Blueskighs, I have to admit I think I am past even thinking "what's the point". I truly think I am at the point where I just dismiss the S in front of me and don't give it another thought. I can't remember the last time I really was sad about having to say no, or bitter or pissed off or whatever my feelings were in the earlier stages. Not to one up you or be a bragger, but I just want others to know these are the things that they can look forward to if they stick it out.

whitway: Of course you know you better than I do but you might actually be surprised to find it getting easier rather than harder. Just do yourself a favor and think positive. I don't mean for you to not be honest with yourself, but try to think about how habit works. The longer you do something the harder it is to kick. This applies to good habits too. Once you get some real No-S time under your belt you won't want to mess it up and you will keep going and before you know it you won't be thinking much about it at all, you will just be eating the way you should and doing what you should be doing - all guilt free.

I just can't believe how far I have come in 3 months. I have tried to share my feelings with people outside of our circle but...... well, you know. Only way to prove my point is to show up at the Christmas party this year looking so damn hot that everyone will totally notice and ask how I did it and of course I am going to love telling them "I quit dieting" is how I got so fabulous. Then I will sell them the book for $100 a piece!! (kidding Reinhard - but I probably could!)
Dawn

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon May 19, 2008 11:09 pm

WOW! My dog barked, I guess I will have to fry a family pack of wings (my family consists of two people and two Chihuahuas.) GEE! I woke up 15 minutes early this morning! Sounds like pancakes, waffles, sausage, bacon eggs and ham. Golly! Greys’ Anatomy will be on at 9:00, let me run to Marble Slab and get a quart of Amaretto and Pecan ice cream with four sugar cones (I would share the ice cream but sometimes not the cones)
Jessies Daughter- you had me on the floor!
The funny thing is that the answers have started to come from my body and not my head.
Again, Jessies Daughter, I find this is happening to me ... all those "intuitive eating" books I was clueless to implement and now all of a sudden on NO S I find out my body really does talk to me :D !

Dawn -I am glad to hear from someone who has more time that it get's EVEN BETTER! I think you impart a lot of wisdom in all of your posts for all of us I greatly appreciate it!
Blueskighs

bonnieUK

Re: What's the Point?

Post by bonnieUK » Tue May 20, 2008 11:15 am

blueskighs wrote: WHAT'S THE POINT?

that is kind of my fundamental answer, whenever I am approached with these "things" on N days... what's the point? when I can have my sweet treats, multi course meals, and even throw in another chai tea latte on S days AND NWS days if I really want it ...

Guilt Free
Pleasure Full
Well Deserved
Rewarding
Thanks for this! you are so right. Weekdays at work are often spent dodging the biscuits, sweets and Krispy Kreme donuts that are flying around, so what you have said here will make that much easier :)

Another thought I had is that when I choose an S food, I wouldn't choose to eat the kind of S foods that I'm often offered at work, so why should I even think about accepting these offers? (I'd much rather have a vegan chocolate-fudge flapjack than a greasy donut anyway, so I guess I should be thankful I don't work in a place where those are plentiful :D)

Rheba

Post by Rheba » Tue May 20, 2008 11:58 am

I think part of the reason that I am finally able to "hear" my body and "listen" to my body is because I am no longer eating all the sugary and starchy so-called "treats" that I used to eat before starting the No S plan. I was always in a food fog, so to speak. Now I'm not and so I can look at a food and say to myself....nah, that doesn't really look good at all so why bother eating it. :) And if it is really sweet, I know that it will cause a spike in the blood sugar followed by the horrendous shakes when I bottom out from the sugar so it definitely is a "What's the Point of eating that" situation. I'm finally getting smart in my old age! :lol: