Noel's Daily Check-In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

NoelFigart

Noel's Daily Check-In

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:15 am

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Daily Workout

Today was a real victory for me. I'd had lunch early and dinner late due to family schedules. I still held out and ate a single plate dinner, though I admit to feeling really fully right now.

I was teaching all day (I teach day classes in computer applications for a client as part of my living) and they always have cookies and muffins and all that for the students. I didn't touch them. Turning down chocolate chip cookies is a little hard, I confess, but not that bad, 'cause you can't teach with your mouth full.

The real issue was when I came home, because I was kinda hungry and dinner wasn't for another three hours. I did have a glass of wine as an aperitif, but that's "legal" so I ain'ta sweatin' it. (And a glass of wine on an empty stomach means I really didn't want a second with dinner).

As goofy as it is, I didn't want to cave and have a red mark on my HabitCal. I can't wait until this habit is well and truly cemented. Today was nice because I realize that it's really gonna happen.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:30 am

No S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

A successful day. I taught again today and was smart. I ate a slightly bigger lunch and was fine until dinner without the freaky feeling I was getting yesterday.

It's still amazing to me how substantial a meal needs to be to carry me from one meal to the next. (And goodness, optimized oatmeal is filling! I eat it for breakfast even though I work from home because it's quick, easy and reasonably tasty. It carries me to lunch quite easily and I feel like that much fiber in the mornings is probably a good idea). I'm not gaining weight and seem to be showing a small loss, so I figure my intake is more or less on target. It does only SEEM that way, and I figure it'll be at least a month before I have spent enough time on this for genuine hard data.

I swam a mile this morning before teaching. That was nice.

I not only held out until dinner but made homemade pasta because I wanted something "nice" and special. I had it with chicken and green beans and a wonderful glass of wine. I may have one more glass before bed, but I'm not sure right now. Depends on my mood.

sweetsong32

Post by sweetsong32 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:16 am

Hi !
Congrats on be successful yesterday and today.
Homemade pasta?? YUM!
Pasta is my favorite! I could so totally eat it twice a day every day.

:D
"Teaching that impacts is not head to head but heart to heart."

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:28 pm

No S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

B: Optimized Oatmeal (I find that an easy, tasty, filling breakfast).
L: Leftover rice pilaf, a yellow pepper filled with tuna salad and an apple
D: Bacon and eggs

I ate an enormous lunch today and chose to eat a smaller dinner, as I wasn't nearly as hungry.

My workout was

Urban Ranger to gym
Calf raises 90 lbs 3x9 (three sets of nine lifts)
Romanian Deadlifts 90lbs 3x9
Squats 90 lbs 3x9
Bench Press 70lbs 3x9
Lat pulldown 90 lbs 3x9 (I think that was too heavy OW)
Seated row 90lbs 3x9
inverse situps bodyweight 3x10
Urban Ranger home

I haven't had a drink today. Might have a glass of wine later while I read if I feel like it then.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:17 am

No S
Glass Ceiling
Workout

B: Optimized Oatmeal
L: Turkey, lettuce and cheese sandwich on whole wheat bread, an apple and cottage cheese
D: Chili

I notice I'm eating larger lunches and breakfasts, and then having slightly smaller suppers. 'Course I'm perfectly down wit dat.

Went to a local bulk foods store after supper to get some different kinds of dried fruit and nuts for my optimized oatmeal. I've really been finding that works well as breakfast for me.

Today was a swimming day, so I Urban Rangered on over to the gym and swam my mile. I find it's the perfect recovery workout from a good weights session.

I forgot to walk by the library (it's a few blocks from the gym where I work out. Both buildings are about a half mile from my house) to get a book for research on a book I'm writing. So I decided I'd Urban Ranger on over there after lunch. I love it now that nice weather is here!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:24 am

No S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

Today was a good S day. I ate three meals. I had some chocolate for the Great Chocolate Taste Comparison of 2008. I went to a Chinese buffet and while I did have seconds, chose not to have dessert because I was fuller than I wanted to be.

Exercise? I have to lift weights either today or tomorrow, and I'm going to have more free time tomorrow, so I'm lifting.

But on the weekend day I don't lift I do Urban Ranger. My whole family did exactly that as a way to get to the restaurant. I told my kids stories of how I looked forward to vacations at Virginia Beach when I was small because we'd walk to the restaurants for dinner. I always associate walking to go out to eat with a Very Special Time. It's a pleasure to live so close to the center of town these days. More chances to walk to stores and stuff.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:39 pm

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

Another good S-Day. I ate three full meals and allowed myself whatever snacks or treats I wanted. I wanted some chocolate, Ben-n-Jerry's and an appletini.

It was sooo hard to talk myself into going to the gym today, but I did it. Then I came home and after lunch napped for two hours. I think I'm about to have a strength increase. (Not unusual when my body's screaming for more sleep).

Tomorrow's a swimmin' day, but I'm a little nervous about it. My shoulders are sore.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:26 pm

No S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

Breakfast: Irish Porridge with dried blueberries, sunflower seeds and pecans. OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM
Lunch: Chili with a peanut butter sandwich and an apple. I was really hungry.
Dinner: Fettuccine Alfredo (homemade) with chicken and a glass of wine.

Today was difficult. I had a bad exercise day in the pool. The only thing good I can really say is that I swam for 40 minutes.

I got a snack attack around three this afternoon. I've no idea where it came from because it couldn't have been physical hunger. I made a cup of flavored decaf (I try not to have too much caffeine late in the day) and that took care of it, but I really did have to argue with myself for awhile.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:02 pm

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

I didn't post this last night.

B: Porridge
L: Turkey, cheese, lettuce, mayo and mustard sandwich on whole wheat bread, plain yogurt mixed with strawberries. (I like this better than the fruit added yogurts).
D: Chicken thigh, acorn squash with a little butter and brown sugar (if you can put sugar in your coffee, a spoonful on the squash is okay in my book!), and green beans. Glass of wine.

Glass of wine after dinner while chatting with friends and family.

Yesterday was kind of hard. I didn't fill my plates as full as I'd been doing and actually got pretty physically hungry before dinner. I chose to wait, telling myself that I couldn't starve in an hour, so just be patient.

I look forward very much to the day when this is second nature. Right now that's what's motivating me. If I keep doing this for a few months, I don't think I'll even consider snacking an option. Certainly it only took me a month that it wouldn't occur to me to have more than one drink. It took me six weeks before I just do a workout every day without thinking much about it. Even if it takes me three months for the snacking habit to go away, I'll be happy.

I'm very focused on the "links in the chain of habit" right now.

resting52

Post by resting52 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:26 pm

Need to remember myself what you said, "I couldn't starve in an hour."

I probably couldn't starve in several months.

Your positive attitude is an inspiration.

Resting

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:16 pm

No S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

B: Porridge with nuts, seeds and dried cherries. God, I love that.
L: Grilled cheese sandwich and strawberries mixed in plain yogurt.
D: Hamburger patty, broccoli with mushroom sauce (fried the mushrooms in the hamburger fat, deglazed the pan with some cream), and garlic rosemary potatoes. I had a glass of wine while I was cooking. Might have another one while we're watching Dr. Who after dinner.

I've found if I can make it to dinner, I'm all good. This is weird, as I've often been a BAD nighttime snacker.

Today was swimming day, and it was an unusually good workout. I like that.

My son has accepted that we no longer watch anything while we're eating. When I called him to dinner, he didn't even bother to ask if we could watch while we were having dinner.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri May 02, 2008 1:28 am

No S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

B: Porridge, nuts, seeds, dried cherries
L: Steak and cheese sub, potato chips
D: Yellow pepper, tuna salad, cottage cheese, 1 glass of wine. Can't have any more tonight, just in case.

Today was fine until dinner. I mean, it was a normal day. Then I got some news that... Well, I don't want to talk about it in public, but it's really, really bad. I'm waiting by the phone for the rest of the results.

If I didn't have to stay sober in case I need to drive, I'd be blotto about now, Glass Ceiling or no.

It's too bad for ice cream to make better, either, or I might have some.

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri May 02, 2008 5:40 pm

Hey Noel,

I'm hoping you are okay.

Resting

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri May 02, 2008 7:42 pm

Hey Noel,

I'm hoping you are okay.
Ditto.
What Navin said.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri May 02, 2008 11:57 pm

No S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

*I* am okay.

Since its been in the news, I suppose it's no secret. A close friend (more like family. Certainly my kids see him more as a grandfather than anything else), was lost on a local river in a kayaking accident. We've not yet found the body, but evidence says he never left the river.

I have to say I feel quite grateful for the concern. Thank you. It really does mean a lot.

resting52

Post by resting52 » Sat May 03, 2008 12:32 pm

Hey Noel,

My prayers will be with you and your family.

Resting

Tink

Post by Tink » Sat May 03, 2008 2:29 pm

Thoughts and prayers to you Noel.
A creature of habit; the No S habit!!!!

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Sat May 03, 2008 2:48 pm

I am so sorry. Lots of hugs.

f
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Sat May 03, 2008 5:57 pm

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news. My thoughts are definitely with you.
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Sat May 03, 2008 6:10 pm

Noel,

I wondered where you'd been lately. Just checked out your daily to see. Life sure throws us some curves sometimes. Thinking of you...
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun May 04, 2008 10:48 pm

Saturday:

No-S (Thank goodness!)
Glass Ceiling (this was truly amazing, for reasons that will become apparent)
Exercise (I don't really care but so much on this one).

http://www.vnews.com/05032008/4835548.htm

This was the news story about the close friend of the family. I'm a serious introvert and spend most of my time alone, but I've spent the last three solid days "sitting out death" with his partner and the whole family. I'm pretty drained, but what can you do, right?

Sunday:

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

I couldn't face the gym. I live in a small town and was terrified I'd hear people talking about my friend in a gossipy "Did you hear about..." sort of way. Huzzah for shovelglove. I got sweaty, my shoulders and arms are still sore from the workout, and I got a mood improvement.

I've been permasnacking, but honestly, I'm not sweating it. Not today. I'll go back to the three meals tomorrow. No biggie. A good friend (also the deceased's daughter) was joking, "Aren't you glad the worst of this was on a weekend? Here, you need some chocolate." knowing I No-S. We had a good laugh. The funny part is that in my brain I don't have "permission" to snack or eat sweets tomorrow, so I know I won't. It's very weird to me that the habits have cemented that much so fast. Maybe it's just that I need the structure to comfort me, too.

The alcohol? I might have an appletini. Maybe. I'm not feeling enthused about it at the moment, so probably not.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun May 04, 2008 11:48 pm

Just saw this, Noel. I am so, so sorry.

I am trying to come up with something comforting to say, and there isn't anything. Just I'm sorry.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon May 05, 2008 11:21 pm

No S
Exercise
Glass Ceiling

L: Tuna salad in a sweet yellow pepper (I'm always fascinated by food in food containers. Edible bowls and all. I suppose it's my inner three year old), cottage cheese and an apple.
D: Home-made linguini, stir-fried chicken, broccoli and carrots in a soy and ginger sauce. Glass of wine.

I think my habits are starting to work for me. It's an N-day and I didn't even consider snacking. I did choose pasta as a "comfort" food type of thing, but I'm realizing that choosing food that's tasty and feels good, but conforms to the No S rules is hardly a bad thing to include in your meal plate.

I only swam about half the distance I usually do. It felt weird to get in the water, what with a friend DROWNING a few days ago and all...

But as I got in I got to thinking. He'd be telling me to remember how I love swimming, how it's been so good for me and that it's hardly disloyal to do it just because of his accident. (My friend was a very spiritual person -- a lot more woo-woo than I am, so it'd certainly have been about being connected to The Source and all that).

So, I was still able to have a good workout and even enjoy it, which was a good thing.

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Tue May 06, 2008 2:20 am

NoelFigart wrote:
But as I got in I got to thinking. He'd be telling me to remember how I love swimming, how it's been so good for me and that it's hardly disloyal to do it just because of his accident. (My friend was a very spiritual person -- a lot more woo-woo than I am, so it'd certainly have been about being connected to The Source and all that).

So, I was still able to have a good workout and even enjoy it, which was a good thing.
I'd like to think that you were communing with your friend in some way while swimming. He would certainly want you to be happy and healthy.

hugs f

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed May 07, 2008 12:48 am

No S
Workout
Glass Ceiling

B: Optimized Oatmeal.
L: Tuna salad sandwich with lettuce on whole wheat bread, strawberries and plain yogurt, pecans
D: Roasted chicken thigh, red peppers and mushrooms sauted in wine, sweet potato fries, glass of wine

Lifted weights today and am up to 95 lbs on leg lifts (Squats, romanian deadlifts and calf raises).

I think I ate too much. I wasn't as hungry as I often am before dinner. Could have left out the pecans just fine. It fit on the plate and I was worried that if I didn't eat enough I'd be crazy hungry. I think I need to trust myself more.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu May 08, 2008 1:21 am

First off, thanks to everyone who has offered comments and condolences. I didn't say anything right off, but I really appreciate it a lot!

No S
Exercise
Glass Ceiling

L: Panini Chicken sandwich and a teeny cup of Italian Sausage Soup.
D: About a cup of strawberries and a cup of cottage cheese. Was still full from lunch and in fact still feel a little over full.

Wine while watching the new Dr. Who with my family. God, I wish American television could be this good. I'd actually choose to have cable.

Today was a swimmin' day. The lifeguard asked me if I wanted to participate in the 50 mile challenge. Basically, you log your laps and you get a t-shirt when you've swum 50 miles. It'll take me about four months. I'm only doing it for the t-shirt, honest....

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu May 08, 2008 11:24 pm

No S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

L: A whole bunch of chicken salad, red pepper
D: Homemade pasta and some *shudder* Ragu sauce from a jar, Parmesan cheese.

The funny thing about dinner was that I served myself about half of what I usually do. Again wasn't as hungry. If I'd been eating alone it would have been a salad. But my son is fond of pasta, and someone left a jar of Ragu sauce here that needs eating up.

It seems that what I really prefer are larger breakfasts and lunches, and smaller dinners.

I'm also noticing a change. What I used to interpret as "comfortably full" is now starting to feel like "A bit much".

Instead of consciously paying too much attention beyond obeying the rules of No S, I'm trusting the process.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri May 09, 2008 11:39 pm

No S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

L: Tuna salad, baked sweet potato, strawberries
D: Ahhh homemade pizza with sausage, yellow peppers, mozz cheese, garlic, mushrooms and black olives. OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM.

It's been 21 days without a failure on No S. That's very cool.

I admit I'm rather looking forward to the relief of relaxing the rules a bit tomorrow.

It was a swimming day. I'm doing a fifty mile challenge. Trying to swim fifty miles by the end of the year. So far, so good.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun May 11, 2008 1:33 am

No S
Exercise
Glass Ceiling

Bliss, sweet bliss.

Today has been "off the hook" but not too crazy. I nibbled on some bacon before my workout, had my usual oatmeal for breakfast AFTER my lifting. I like a snack after lifting, but don't on N days. It was kinda nice, after a hard lifting session.

I went to a party, and had ONE PLATE of dinner, then some apple pie. OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM. We hung out at the river afterwards and the kids nearly froze their toes off in the water. I let 'em talk me into wading. Polar bear, that's me.

For supper, I had fettuccine alfredo. I made the pasta(I was never into pasta until I learned to do it homemade), and my daughter wanted to make the alfredo sauce. (She's ten). I let her and it turned out delightfully. We played a role-playing game based on Terry Pratchett's Discworld series that I made up. (Diceless. I just come up with weird ideas and let the kids go with it. The hard-core D&D rules are as often stifling as they can be creative).

I'm also enjoying my beloved appletini S day drink. Ahhh, fun.

God, I love S days.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun May 11, 2008 8:36 pm

Noel, you are an inspiration. I love hearing your enjoyment of S-days. For me, S-days are still only sometimes the reward they are meant to be. You're a good role model for just-enough indulgence, thoroughly enjoyed.

Also, I love your writing, style which I suppose isn't surprising since you do it professionally. OM NOM NOM cracks me up every time I read it - I can almost feel the delight!

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun May 11, 2008 9:02 pm

KCCC wrote:Noel, you are an inspiration. I love hearing your enjoyment of S-days. For me, S-days are still only sometimes the reward they are meant to be. You're a good role model for just-enough indulgence, thoroughly enjoyed.

Also, I love your writing, style which I suppose isn't surprising since you do it professionally. OM NOM NOM cracks me up every time I read it - I can almost feel the delight!
I wish I could claim credit for the OM NOM NOM thing. It's a net-geek convention that's an imitation of Cookie Monster. (I actually have to count the NOMs when I write that...)

I'm flattered you like my writing style.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon May 12, 2008 1:32 am

No S
Exercise
Glass Ceiling

Today is not an S-day I'm all that happy about.

I don't think I can remember everything I ate. The kids made me french toast, bacon and strawberries for breakfast, then brought me sticky buns then took me for an ice cream cone, then I had some more ice cream while I was working on a report I've got due, then I had a sandwich for dinner, then I decided I wanted some potatoes....

I mean, yeah, I walked to the ice cream shop. but today was not the way I prefer to eat. Yesterday was a much better S-day.

I don't do well if I don't eat proper meals. That's all there is to it. I'm gonna have to mention this to the kids for next Mother's Day. URGH. All that sugar and I'm more likely to choose to eat more and more.

On the other hand I've had two bad S days in a row more than once. This is a slight improvement. Not only that, I think that as my N day habits get stronger, they'll carry over to the second S day.

Thing is, I did have a good day in general. I had fun with the kids.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue May 13, 2008 12:08 am

No S
Exercise
Glass Ceiling

L: Chef's Salad
D: Chicken thigh, Rice, part of a sweet potato.

The rice is mostly because I had a hankering for a bento with onigiri, so I made one for lunch tomorrow. Yes, I know bento are technically for when you're having a meal away from home, but I just wanted one, so I made one.

I didn't have any alcohol, and have promised myself I won't until I've finished with today's writing quota. Then I'm having a martini, as my present project is like pulling teeth right now.

susieokla

Post by susieokla » Tue May 13, 2008 1:39 am

NoelFigart wrote:

The rice is mostly because I had a hankering for a bento with onigiri, so I made one for lunch tomorrow. Yes, I know bento are technically for when you're having a meal away from home, but I just wanted one, so I made one.

Ok, I'm curious...what is a bento??
Susieokla

No S Diet Start Weight 10/6/08: 165 lbs

Current weight as of 10/14/08: 160 lbs

Goal Weight: 135-140 lbs

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue May 13, 2008 1:41 am

susieokla

Post by susieokla » Tue May 13, 2008 1:57 am

Thanks for the link, that is too cool. I love eating a wide variety of foods with little bites of each item. What types of foods do you put in your bento?
Susieokla

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue May 13, 2008 2:07 am

Tomorrow's bento has three onigiri (rice balls) with an umeboshi (VERY salty pickled plum) and pickled ginger filling, wrapped in nori (dried seaweed. It's actually pretty tasty). Then I added some sliced apple, a couple of baby carrots and some tuna salad.

A proper bento follows a 4:3:2:1 ratio -- four parts rice (can be umeboshi or just rice), three parts protein (most often fish or chicken in Japanese ones), three parts vegetables, two parts pickles (Japanese pickles are salt pressed rather than brined. Very tasty) and one part sweet. This generally means a teeny bit of fruit in a Japanese bento, or a little pocky (a sweet wafer-like confection).

Mine doesn't quite follow Japanese conventions, but it's still quite healthy.

Here's a pic of a bento I made once. It's fancier than I usually make, but the foods are typical: http://mama-hogswatch.livejournal.com/1371153.html

susieokla

Post by susieokla » Tue May 13, 2008 2:34 am

Wow, that is really neat. :wink: I'm afraid if I made a bento it wouldn't be that fancy. I'm not very adventurous when it comes to food. It is a really neat idea to get a variety of foods and still stick to the "one plate" rule. Thanks for sharing with me.
Susieokla

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue May 13, 2008 12:59 pm

Well, ya know, I actually try to get a variety in my "one plate" as best I can, too. ('Cept breakfast. That's a bunch of different things mixed up in a bowl)

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed May 14, 2008 12:12 am

No S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

Today was an extraordinarily good N day.

Breakfast: Optimized Oatmeal.

Lunch: Image

Dinner: Homemade pasta (cut down on how much I put on my plate), stir-fried chicken, carrots, broccoli, garlic, ginger, onions in soy sauce. God, that was satisfying.

I'm slllooooowwwwllly scaling down my meal sizes, but I'm doing it with great gentleness and care.

Was weights day today. I had a good workout.

Writer110

Post by Writer110 » Wed May 14, 2008 12:23 am

Your lunch in gorgeous! :D

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed May 14, 2008 12:33 am

I agree with Reinhard that making an event out of a meal is a good idea.

While I eat lunch alone many days and certainly do not always make myself a bento, I like doing it sometimes.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed May 14, 2008 2:28 am

The bento is impressive. I'm fascinated by them - they look so neat, but also as if they're more trouble than I'm willing to take.

I'm also impressed by your "making an event" out of meals by yourself. Too often, when it's "just me," I don't have very exciting meals - just PB&J, or a quesadilla and salad. Decent but boring food, kwim? I'm taking notes from you.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed May 14, 2008 10:56 am

I'm fond of cooking.

Really a bento CAN be a lot of trouble. That one wasn't. I was making rice for dinner, so I made some onigiri. Two or three minutes. Then I just chopped up an apple, took some baby carrots and put them in the main tray and spooned in some tuna salad.

resting52

Post by resting52 » Wed May 14, 2008 2:17 pm

How wonderful to make these amazing foods and NOT worry about points or calories, etc. It looks great and must be a joy to enjoy. I'm encouraged to get more adventurous in my food prep.

Resting

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed May 14, 2008 11:36 pm

No S
Exercise
Glass Ceiling

L: Peanut Butter Sandwich, strawberries
D: Chicken and brown rice.

I shoulda et a veggie. Didn't. How 'bout that?

I swam 2000 yards today. My gym is having a 50 mile swim challenge, so basically on swim days, I'm trying to rack up the yardage.

I also went on a long walk with my friend who just lost her partner. She's really trying to get out and not brood, which is good. The kids came with us, which was also fun.

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Thu May 15, 2008 1:42 am

Noel,

You must have lived in Japan. :) How gorgeous!

Have you seen those little bento lunch boxes, American version? I think they're wonderful and almost got one except the portions would be a mouthful for me.

http://www.laptoplunches.com/

f

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu May 15, 2008 2:12 am

Those laptop lunches are awesome!

That bento, by the way, is about the size of my hand (and I have small hands. Part of the beauty is the small portions).

I've never lived in Japan. I studied Karate under an Okinawan gentleman for awhile in my teens and got exposed a little to Asian culture, then found it interesting so have studied it a bit.

I'm interested in culture and how people live in general, I suppose.

For reference:

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri May 16, 2008 1:21 am

No S
Exercise
Glass Ceiling

B: Bacon and Scrambled Eggs
L: Tuna Salad, sweet potato
D: Chicken Spaghetti

I like it now that the weather is nicer and I can walk to the grocery store more comfortably.

I didn't eat the worlds "healthiest" meals but the volume was okay.

My business had a bit of a setback, so I "treated" myself by walking to the grocery store and getting the "good" oatmeal for breakfast tomorrow. The walk was the real treat because I could calm myself down.

I am going to have a martini nightcap, though, and curl up with a good book. I need courage for tomorrow.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat May 17, 2008 1:08 am

No S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

L: Beef and refried beans, some nuts
D: 1 Italian sausage sauted with yellow pepper in wine

I was actually intending to take a fail on exercise. I didn't go swimming -- feeling grumpy and depressed. I sat down to my HabitCal and realized, "Well, you said if you did shovelglove on any day you didn't go to the gym, it's a success, right?"

So I just finished with the shovelglove, even though I'd had wine with dinner. I generally don't exercise after alcohol, but anyway. It's not perfect, but it is a success and that's good enough.

Part of me wants to just eat on stuff, because I'm feeling discouraged. But, fuck it. Eating proper meals? That's good for me. Just eating because I'm feeling discouraged isn't going to make me less discouraged. I'll stick to my habits. At least I've got that, right? I'm physically full and if nothing else, I can say I stuck to my habits. I can feel good about that much.

I don't usually feel so negative and really am trying to get a headlock on it by building on things I can feel competent and good about.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sat May 17, 2008 5:11 am

Noel,

not that I have ever had any great success with this but I have always heard that sticking with "habits" like NO S and exercise is a more supportive thing to do for yourself in stressful times

Just wanted to encourage you because whatever you are going through will pass and then you will come out on the other side and your habits will be stronger,

Sleep well tonight,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Sat May 17, 2008 12:51 pm

Hey, Noel!

If you check out my daily, it wasn't one of my shining glories either, but, like you, I am moving on. I guess it's bound to happen, huh? I mean, where did we get the idea that life is supposed to be perfect? Or that we can control everything?

Hang in there. Enjoy your weekend.
Jill

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue May 20, 2008 12:23 am

Gosh, haven't been keeping up on this properly. Did fill out my Habitcal. I had one extra glass of wine last night, so that was a failure on the glass ceiling. They found my friend's body in the river... finally. We knew there was no way he could have survived, but when you haven't found the body yet, closure isn't there as well. I consider it decent that it was only an extra glass of wine. I wanted to get smashed, but chose not to, as I was the only adult in the house, and I don't think incapacitating yourself when you've care of a kid, even a near-teenager, is a Good Thing.

Today:

No S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

Been Grumpy McGrumppants and stressed out about a project. Thank goodness I got good feedback on that. I have GOT to stop stressing.

I'm sticking to my habits, 'cause well... I figure a year from now I won't remember the grump, but my body will be effected by the habits.

I've been getting a lot more writing projects, which is a Happiness.

But frankly, I've had a hell of a time shaking my mood.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue May 20, 2008 12:52 am

NoelFigart wrote:
I'm sticking to my habits, 'cause well... I figure a year from now I won't remember the grump, but my body will be effected by the habits.

I've been getting a lot more writing projects, which is a Happiness.

But frankly, I've had a hell of a time shaking my mood.
Given what you're dealing with, both professionally and personally, I think you're doing incredibly well.

Sometimes, just to keep Doing the Right Thing (regardless of how you feel) is a major accomplishment. (There are days I feel I deserve a MEDAL for just that... with less cause than you have.)

Hang in there.

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Tue May 20, 2008 3:04 pm

Noel:

(((hug))))

f

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri May 23, 2008 12:20 am

Noel... are you okay? Haven't seen you in a while....

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri May 23, 2008 1:17 am

Yeah, I'm fine.

I just got a project I had to finish. This is a GOOD thing.

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri May 23, 2008 12:12 pm

Noel,

I love your words about sticking to the habit. Inspiring.

Hugs to you in your hard times.

Resting

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri May 23, 2008 1:21 pm

This is a GOOD thing.
Glad that you've got good stuff going on! :)

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed May 28, 2008 11:23 am

I took a look at my habitcal. I'd allowed some habits to slip a little and took hold of that.

I've also cut back a bit on what I eat. I know you're not supposed to be a slave to the scale and all, but I was gaining weight. Gaining ain't okay.

I also read an article that has me so angry I can hardly see straight. I'm a freelance writer and was checking out editorial policies for various women's mags. Several of them have policies against feature articles that have an overweight female. One of them actually went so far as to say that "I don't care if she's won the Nobel prize. I won't feature her if she's overweight."

There is actually an editorial policy BY FEMALES to remove the voice from overweight women. While I'm all FOR getting healthy, that is going too fucking far. Being fat cancells out real accomplishments? Starving yourself skinny is more important than being a goddamned SCIENTIST and making important discoveries? Come ON, people. Get some perspective!

I'm so angry and resentful right now that during my swims I've been visualizing filling that swimming pool full of the blood of every person that says a woman has to starve herself to be acceptable, every man who says that a woman is worthless if she's fat, every magazine editor who wants to remove the voice from any woman who isn't "fashionable". I actually did the calculation on that and let's just say that if a person holds a gallon of blood, that's a lot of bodies. And no, I'd never kill anyone, but the anger is that deep.

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Wed May 28, 2008 1:47 pm

Can we at least fill a hot tub or kiddy pool? :twisted:

Just kidding, but you are not alone with your ire. In my opinion it is still about women being seen as sex objects. Overweight women are considered second class and thin women are exploited. Don't get me going on Victoria's Secret ads on tv. Oh..., too late. I remember one year they had all these girls in their skimpy attire sitting on santa's lap doing what they do, and I went through the roof. Santa is supposed to be for the children! I was furious! (Still am, I guess...)

What can we do about it? I will be at the Democratic Convention this weekend in Augusta supporting Hillary. A woman for president might be a start...
Jill

resting52

Post by resting52 » Wed May 28, 2008 3:02 pm

I think your anger is justified. The good thing is that you didn't try to solve the problems of the world by sticking food in your own mouth.

What can we do? Pray. Teach our children well. Respect others. Respect ourselves. Try to spend our lives deliberately, purposefully, actively making a positive difference.

Resting

Tink

Post by Tink » Wed May 28, 2008 3:16 pm

*hugs*You sure have a full plate lately; take good care of yourself.

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Wed May 28, 2008 3:56 pm

NoelFigart wrote: I also read an article that has me so angry I can hardly see straight. I'm a freelance writer and was checking out editorial policies for various women's mags. Several of them have policies against feature articles that have an overweight female. One of them actually went so far as to say that "I don't care if she's won the Nobel prize. I won't feature her if she's overweight."

There is actually an editorial policy BY FEMALES to remove the voice from overweight women. While I'm all FOR getting healthy, that is going too fucking far. Being fat cancells out real accomplishments? Starving yourself skinny is more important than being a goddamned SCIENTIST and making important discoveries? Come ON, people. Get some perspective!

I'm so angry and resentful right now that during my swims I've been visualizing filling that swimming pool full of the blood of every person that says a woman has to starve herself to be acceptable, every man who says that a woman is worthless if she's fat, every magazine editor who wants to remove the voice from any woman who isn't "fashionable". I actually did the calculation on that and let's just say that if a person holds a gallon of blood, that's a lot of bodies. And no, I'd never kill anyone, but the anger is that deep.
Here's a pail from me. :)

What mag is that? I don't ever read women's mags anymore except the "gym" mags which are at least part healthy (Self, Fitness, that other one whose name escapes me), but at least I can feel more righteous that I don't read that particular one. :)

I would say that women's mags are partly the reason why I was fat and self-destructive for 40 years.

f

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed May 28, 2008 11:11 pm

Noel, that IS infuriating.

Good for you for not letting it get you off-track on your own journey to health. (Health, not some silly fashion-plate ideal.)

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu May 29, 2008 12:43 am

KCCC: It does get to me.

You know why? I now know I can't weigh more than about 118 (I'm 5'2") and have my work have much more than a niche market. Never mind that I'm not a fucking actress or something, but a writer.

So yeah, I'm actually cutting down a bit more on what I'm eating. And I'm fucking well bitter about it.

(Makes me wonder if Harry Potter would have been popular if Jo Rowling weren't moderately attractive).

resting52

Post by resting52 » Thu May 29, 2008 12:26 pm

Yeah, it wouldn't be so bitter if food didn't taste so good.

Are you planning a wonderful treat for this weekend?

Resting

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu May 29, 2008 12:31 pm

It's not just about food, resting.

I'm not one of these food addict types, and I'm all good with difficult goals being, well, difficult.

What I'm not okay with is the underlying message: "Women, nothing you can do can possibly be valuable unless 80% of the men who see your work will find the idea of having sex with you an attractive proposition."

That's what this really boils down to, FIRST be fuckable, THEN you'll be allowed your little accomplishments... MAYBE.

I say this as an alternative lifestyle writer. I do a lot with sex and relationships all the time, but that's not all there is to life. But if you're not a prime candidate for the sex part, as a woman, you don't count much.

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Thu May 29, 2008 3:08 pm

NoelFigart wrote:It's not just about food, resting.

I'm not one of these food addict types, and I'm all good with difficult goals being, well, difficult.

What I'm not okay with is the underlying message: "Women, nothing you can do can possibly be valuable unless 80% of the men who see your work will find the idea of having sex with you an attractive proposition."

That's what this really boils down to, FIRST be fuckable, THEN you'll be allowed your little accomplishments... MAYBE.

I say this as an alternative lifestyle writer. I do a lot with sex and relationships all the time, but that's not all there is to life. But if you're not a prime candidate for the sex part, as a woman, you don't count much.
Heh heh heh. You go, Noel.

Another of the other boards I read is one of those famous menopause boards. I am amazed at the amount of ladies lamenting the fact that some symptom or other has laid them so low (!) they couldn't put on their high heels or makeup anymore and golly, no man would look at them.

I am amazed because I realized even when I was a child I wanted to have nothing to do with such a mindset, but apparently I did battle with this realization until I was about 50; however, I'm apparently not over it because I ranted about it with my husband. He said, well, it's biological. Those who are no longer prime candidates for sex ain't having no babies either.

He's probably right. But then again, he's a guy, so he just could be making excuses. :) :(

f

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu May 29, 2008 11:48 pm

NoelFigart wrote:KCCC: It does get to me.

You know why? I now know I can't weigh more than about 118 (I'm 5'2") and have my work have much more than a niche market. Never mind that I'm not a fucking actress or something, but a writer.

So yeah, I'm actually cutting down a bit more on what I'm eating. And I'm fucking well bitter about it.

(Makes me wonder if Harry Potter would have been popular if Jo Rowling weren't moderately attractive).
Noel, I wish I could think of something comforting or helpful to say. Beyond agreeing that "it sucks," I don't have a lot to offer.

(It really, really sucks.)

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Fri May 30, 2008 2:21 am

KCCC wrote:
NoelFigart wrote:KCCC: It does get to me.

Noel, I wish I could think of something comforting or helpful to say. Beyond agreeing that "it sucks," I don't have a lot to offer.

(It really, really sucks.)
I wish I could too. If something is making you feel bitter, though, it may possibly be the wrong thing for you. Writers don't have to be pretty. I'm not sure what market you write for other than the "alternative lifestyles", about which I know nothing, but if you write for the serious gym rat/health market, I don't think anyone gives a damn what you look like if you know your stuff. I mean Krista from Stumptuous isn't "pretty pretty". If you are trying to write for Cosmo or one of those type mags, obviously you're going to have to look and act in a way that isn't you.

I think the majority of Harry Potter's readers didn't care what the hell she looked like. :)

I have to go shell soybeans now.

f

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri May 30, 2008 11:11 am

fkwan wrote: I wish I could too. If something is making you feel bitter, though, it may possibly be the wrong thing for you. Writers don't have to be pretty. I'm not sure what market you write for other than the "alternative lifestyles", about which I know nothing, but if you write for the serious gym rat/health market, I don't think anyone gives a damn what you look like if you know your stuff. I mean Krista from Stumptuous isn't "pretty pretty". If you are trying to write for Cosmo or one of those type mags, obviously you're going to have to look and act in a way that isn't you.

I think the majority of Harry Potter's readers didn't care what the hell she looked like. :)

I have to go shell soybeans now.

f

Okay, Krista isn't pretty. She IS thin. Notice, I'm talkin' strictly about body weight here.

I don't think if she were not thin and SHOWED A PIC OF HERSELF NOT THIN on that site she'd be nearly as popular, even as amazing as her writing is!

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri May 30, 2008 1:05 pm

Noel, since over 1/2 the population is overweight, if we only wanted skinny folks to represent us, not much would get done. In my experience no one seems to care what I look like as long as I help them.

I don't find, ""Women, nothing you can do can possibly be valuable unless 80% of the men who see your work will find the idea of having sex with you an attractive proposition." to be true. If it is in your world, and it is driving you crazy, then maybe it is time to move on.

I know this is your place to rant and please, rant on. Good for you! We all need that place. Still, look at what a positive affect you have had on so many-I know your wisdom about NoSing has blessed me.

Thank you!!!

Resting

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri May 30, 2008 1:17 pm

resting52 wrote:Noel, since over 1/2 the population is overweight, if we only wanted skinny folks to represent us, not much would get done. In my experience no one seems to care what I look like as long as I help them.
I'm not trying to blow off genuine good that people do.

Tellya what, though, I'm gonna start putting pics of myself out there when I write about health and fitness. It'll be an interesting experiment.

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri May 30, 2008 1:32 pm

You know what I just remembered? When I was a youngun' the lady that taught everyone at the local pool to swim was enormous. I mean, REALLY enormous. She was also an amazing swimmer. I remember thinking that it was funny that she was so big. BUT, I also remember that she taught us all so well. We worked our butts off for her. She made us safe in the water and THAT is what has remained a part of my life.

Maybe your disclaimer, or rather your proclamation, could be that you are on your own fitness journey.

Aren't we all?

Resting

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Fri May 30, 2008 2:50 pm

I get where you're coming from, Noel. There's truth in what you say, though I also hope that it's not the whole story - I hope that it's more exaggerated in fields where beauty/appearances are given a very high priority.

Having said that though, I would agree that if a woman has reached a 'certain age' or 'certain weight', then she may need to be very very good at what she does to really succeed in the face of the blindspots of the people around her. It also helps to find work that has a career path that encompasses older people - doesn't shove them on the shelf at 40 (I'm 51).

I've been on an anti-diet for years. It was a disaster for my weight, but great for my mental health. I just knew I had to stop obsessing about food after spending my teens/early twenties dieting. One of the things that stopped me from ever dieting like that again (but I wish I'd found NoS rather than the anti-diet) was a comment I read somewhere. It said that if all that energy wasted on constantly thinking about food and appearances by women could be redirected to something productive, then a lot more symphonies would be composed, masterpieces painted and books written. It really hit home. I've been redirecting my energies ever since! :D

Am thinking of you with your recent loss and sending you lots of virtual hugs.

wim
x

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:09 pm

Okay, I'm doing better now.

No S
Exercise
Glass Ceiling

I feel funny doing a green for glass ceiling. After the last red, it occured to me I was too damn grumpy to permit myself booze.

I've finally gotten my damn mood under control. Thank goodness. I make my living with my brain and can't afford to be temperamental. You wanna talk bad habits, getting all Granny Weatherwax grumpy and negative is definitely one of mine! I'm halfway tempted to put some sort of attitude thing on my HabitCal

I do have a GREAT idea for a horror story, though, out of all the mess. If only I can figure out a plausible way to keep blood from spoiling or congealing. (As Quentin Crisp said, "Writing is turning one's worst moments into money.")

I posted my pics on my site in a fit of childish pique.

http://noelfigart.com/blog/2008/06/02/t ... vertising/

I got a very low time-investment job at the gym, which takes care of my gym fees and gives me a little pocket change.

And I have some FUN and interesting PAYING projects to work on.

So, all better.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:31 pm

beautiful pics Noel!

Blueskighs

Tink

Post by Tink » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:59 pm

You are very pretty; i love your hair Noel!

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:12 am

Noel, you really are really pretty. And, as has been said, fabulous hair!
And don't worry about those grumps - shows you have backbone and personality. And that energy can be a powerful force for good and achievement - and hey, it's honest. :)
Wim

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:14 am

Hey, Noel, where are you? Miss seeing you.

Hope all is well, and you're just busy because your life is full of good things.

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:50 am

I just got around to seeing the pictures because they're inaccessible at work. :(

Vote 3 for Fabulous Hair!

Lots of hopeful hugs going your way,

f

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:20 pm

Okay, back to checking in.

Yesterday:

No S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

Had bacon and eggs for breakfast, beans and rice for lunch and meatless tacos for dinner. It wasn't even an effort, interestingly enough. Maybe getting back on track will be less of a struggle than I thought.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:26 am

Noel,

Welcome back, it is good to hear from you,

Blueskighs

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:59 pm

Yesterday was an okay day.

NoS
Glass Ceiling (I don't know why I bother to track this any more. THIS is an ingrained habit to the point where I FEEL two drinks. I used to be able to drink like Marion Ravenwood -- not good. Maybe the greens still feel good).
Exercise

Part of my lack of exercise has been that I have been psycho busy. However, I feel that if I'm not going to exercise, the job at the gym to cover gym fees is kinda dumb. I could quit, but the real answer is just to do SOMETHING every day and I know it.

Breakfast: Porridge with butter and salt, two boiled eggs

Lunch: Homemade butternut squash soup that was left over. I threw some rice in and it was really tasty. I make and eat a lot of soups. Being a tightwad, I instruct my family to save the bones from their chicken meals. I put 'em in a freezer bag and when I have enough, I make stock. I do the same from veggies that have started to get limp, and am wondering if fruit stocks would make interesting flavoring for some meats.

Dinner: Chicken breast, baked sweet potato and green beans.

I really need to get to the grocery store and pick up some fruit. Some nuts and dried fruit for my porridge, 'cause it's yummy that way. (Yeah, healthy, too. I'm goin' for yummy).

I'm trying to aim to have about half my plate be fruits and veggies mostly.

My goal right now is for No S to be as ingrained as Glass Ceiling. I want to be at the point where I just don't consider much snacking and enjoy a treat on S days as something so routine it's not conscious.

resting52

Post by resting52 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:58 pm

Noel!!!

Good to see you back on the boards.

Resting

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:05 pm

No S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

B: Bacon and Eggs
L: Bean soup with rice added
D: Tuna Salad, sweet potato, strawberries

Evening: Martini and a Shakespeare documentary that was really COOL. It revolved around Shakespeare's early years. While I knew that Elizabethan England was hardly a free society, it was interesting to hear it (accurately) referred to as a police state.

I need to do some grocery shopping today and plan a better workout structure. I may just swim a mile a day and leave it at that for awhile.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:01 pm

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

Good S-Day yesterday. I find my S-Days work best when I do have proper meals, too.

B: Porridge
AM Snack: I had a real New England style doughnut. I live around the corner from this tiny Mom-n-pop doughnut shop. Speak not of the D**k*n D***ts heresy with its pastries and its glazes. This is Doughnut Purity.
L: Not a very healthy lunch. I tried out a homemade tortilla recipe and just ate some with butter for lunch
PM Snack: Cup of hot chocolate
Dinner: Butternut squash soup with lots of rice.
Dessert: Ben-n-Jerry's New York Crunch in a small crystal dessert dish. Reinhard is right. Ice cream in a nice dish tastes better.

My son is glad I'm back on No S. Apparently that's when we get the Good Treats.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:49 pm

Hi Noel, I just wanted to pop in here and say I hope that you feel better and that you manage to ride out your bad patch here.
Keep your chin up and good for you on your "post wine" shovelglove and for talking yourself down from eating because you are depressed.
You are so right that it wouldn't make it any less depressing.
Pat yourself on the back for me :wink:
Bless
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:52 pm

ps.. Woopsies!! Hahah my post was in reply to your last post on your first page of posts where you were havin a bad day.
I wasn't aware of the second page and just hit "reply"
Guess I need some more coffee today :twisted:

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:59 pm

Thanks, Deb.

I'm doing a whole bunch better. I have a bad habit of brooding on crap I can't do anything about and getting resentful about it. It's really no good at all for my mental health.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:01 pm

Wow, glad to hear you are doing better Noel :)
The serenity prayer sounds like it might be a good thing to have in your toolbox considering what you have said here :wink:
Enjoy the rest of your day!
Bless
8) Debs

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:05 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:The serenity prayer sounds like it might be a good thing to have in your toolbox considering what you have said here
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the firepower to make a difference."

Right? *giggles madly and runs away*

kccc

Post by kccc » Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:20 pm

NoelFigart wrote:
gratefuldeb67 wrote:The serenity prayer sounds like it might be a good thing to have in your toolbox considering what you have said here
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the firepower to make a difference."

Right? *giggles madly and runs away*
The version I heard is the "senility prayer"

"God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones that I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference."

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:01 pm

No S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

It was an okay day yesterday.

I had three proper meals:

B: Porridge with nuts and dried fruit. It's a favorite breakfast
L: Eggie baskets and an orange
D: Baked Chicken and rice. Prolly shoulda thrown in a veggie, but didn't.

I got some chocolate covered popcorn I'd ordered as part of a Cub Scout promotion for a local kid. I found myself nibbling on that most of the afternoon and evening. I suppose it was kind of permasnacking, but since I didn't feel physically uncomfortable or a sugar rush from it, I can't really call it a bad S-Day.

I'm stuck in the house most of the day today waiting for a delivery, so I think it's gonna be Shovelglove and hindu squats or some such for exercise. (Minimum exercise for me is 50 hindu squats and 15-20 minutes of something that gets my heart rate up. It'll often be swimming, but when swimming isn't available, shovelglove works out fine).

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:11 pm

No S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

B: Porridge with nuts and dried fruit
L: Poached eggs on toast with apple sliced dipped in peanut butter
D: 15 bean soup, bread, glass of wine

After dinner while finishing up some work: Martini

Yesterday I was hungry all day, yet I know I was eating enough at meals. I think I might have gotten used to eating more than I realized. I also realize I'd gotten back into the habit of late night snacks, as I REALLY wanted to nibble after dinner. I didn't, since I knew intellectually my body was getting plenty of food. The martini was more of an "allowed" snack than anything.

I was woken up early from my fire alarm bleeping out of batteries. Irritating, but better than not being reminded, I suppose. I have a wood stove, so am usually more diligent about such things.

Anyway, I had to be up early anyway, as I have a job opening a gym. When I got there I was more energetic than I've been in several months. I wonder if overeating was making me sluggish.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:51 pm

Noel, just wanted to tell you that you've inspired me to make 15-bean soup. I have a ham bone that's just begging to be made into some sort of soup, and that sounds perfect.

I didn't used to be much of a soup-eater, and still am not. My childhood experience with soup was canned (yech!) or vegetable-use-it-up. I loathed my mother's version, and still dislike vegetable soup intensely after years of having to eat it nearly once a week as a child. But I am slowly discovering other recipes that I actually like, and am beginning to venture out into more soups. (Black bean and tomato is my current favorite.) As with anything, home-made is SO much better than canned.

Will let you know how the bean soup turns out. :)

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:05 pm

I do make all sorts of "use it up" type soups, but I learned how to make them from a chef. The secret is in making sure you've made a good stock.

I was not into homemade soups as a child. My mother's idea of soup was to cook things in water and add some salt and spices. Okay, as far as it goes, but not much can top a real stock made from real bones.

I don't even waste money on bonesless skinless anything anymore, as I use the bones for stocks -- even asking my family to save the bones after meals. I collect them for a few weeks in a baggie in the freezer, then when it comes time, fill the crock pot with them, cover 'em with water and let them cook all day. The gelatin you get from them is supposed to be good for all kinds of connective tissue issues (arthritis, that sort of thing).

Me, I just like a good, hot soup.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:34 pm

No-S
Glass Ceiling
Exercise

B: Porridge, walnuts, dried cranberries. I've found that I like this better with a little salt rather than sugar. Oddly enough, it feels more like a "meal" that way.
L: Leftover Rice with some 15 bean soup poured over it. I used a 3c soup mug for it, but since whatever fits into that fits on a plate fine, I called it good.
D: Pork chop, mashed potatoes and half a plate of green beans.

My exercise was Urban Rangering to the grocery store and bringing back a bunch of meat I found on sale -- call it about a 25 lb pack. Good enough for now. I need to get back into the swing of things, but one habit at a time. I think maybe food is more important and deserves more attention first.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:21 am

Noel, my daughter is ethnically Chinese and mildly lactose intolerant (hates milk). Some Chinese friends recommended making soup from bones as that is a traditional way that they get calcium into their diets. I've fallen out of the habit a bit now because DD doesn't mind yoghurt and cheese (the processing apparently reduces the lactose), but for several years there I had a pot of stock cooking every couple of days (and I still do every second week - the stock is incredibly useful anyway to add to cooking). DD loves to drink the plain stock as her drink with breakfast and dinner. It's become her comfort drink I think. I tend to buy bones cheaply from our free-range/organic butcher. They sell me 3 chicken carcasses in a bag for $3 Aus (I can get chicken necks or bones much cheaper from the supermarket, but I worry about the chickens they use) or I get ham or bacon bones. One tip I was given by my friends to reduce the "meaty" smell, was to chuck in some ginger while the soup is cooking (starts to give it a Chinese taste though). Like you, I let it simmer for 6-8 hours, then I let it cool, then refrigerate it so it turns to gelatine and I can scrape off the fat. Then I warm up the gelatine as we want it.
cheers
fun
x