Buttery sweetness?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

xJocelynx87

Buttery sweetness?

Post by xJocelynx87 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:05 am

I just wanted to get a consensus on the following....

I love english muffins....alot. Most of the time I eat them with peanut butter, but sometimes I love a piping hot toasted english muffin spread with a little bit of butter and sprinkled with a little cinnamon and sugar. Would you consider this an S? Should I feel free to eat it occasionally during the week...or save it for weekends only?
Thanks for your opinions.

Best,
Jocelyn

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:11 am

Grey area, hands down. ;)

So...
Is it a problem?
Do YOU think of it as a sweet? (Versus part of a meal?)
Is it a "gateway food"?
Can you eat it on occasion and be satisfied?

Consider the answers, and make your best call... and remember you can always reconsider.

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:14 am

Well i actually just discovered it....had never thought of doing it before, but read the suggestion somewhere and decided to try it. It was good! My only concern is that the sugar will send me on a rollercoaster, and the lack of protein will leave me hungry. Never have those problems with peanut butter. Hmmm...decisions. Thanks for the input, KCCC!

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:35 am

xJocelynx87 wrote:Well i actually just discovered it....had never thought of doing it before, but read the suggestion somewhere and decided to try it. It was good! My only concern is that the sugar will send me on a rollercoaster, and the lack of protein will leave me hungry. Never have those problems with peanut butter. Hmmm...decisions. Thanks for the input, KCCC!
Regular PB is too sweet for me! How about mixing peanut butter with a little margarine?

Something I've tried, but then I'm strange -- I mixed margarine with hemp protein. It's green, looks like pesto or something, but there's no taste, so you could have your sweet and protein too.

Personally I'd go with option 1.

f
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:09 am

the line in the sand,

would you eat it for dessert? :D

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:29 am

I like toast with butter and homemade grape jelly, or cinnamon sugar. (I mix my own cinnamon sugar so it is more cinnamon than the commercial mixes...try it...very delicious, and it takes less to get a strong cinnamon flavor!)

I think an English muffin with cinnamon sugar would not be a dessert, so it is acceptable for an N day. See if it lasts you until lunch. If not, maybe put peanut butter on one half of the muffin, and butter with cinnamon sugar on the other half?

And I'll bet that you will have this for a few days, and then move on to something else equally appealing. Unless like KCCC said, is it a gateway food? Will it make you crave more?

For me, in general, knowing that these things are possible seems to keep my on habit. Sometimes just knowing I can helps, and then when I really think about it, the item (like toast with jelly) doesn't sound so appealing, so I choose something else. But knowing I can if I really want it, and not having everything on the "no" list is helpful for me!

MissyMoo

Post by MissyMoo » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:42 am

I do not think it is in any way a dessert. But it lacks enough protein to hold me until lunch. Eat it with a hard boiled egg, or a sausage or something. In terms of calories, it's very tame. Don't worry.

Betty

Post by Betty » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:57 am

A long time ago I went out to breakfast with a friend and her boyfriend. We all ordered pancakes. I put butter and syrup on mine and so did my friend, but her boyfriend ate them plain.

Only at the very end did he load his last 3 bites with tons of butter and syrup.

Ever since I saw him do that, even on S days, Ive done the same with sweet things in the morning. The last three bites are so delicious, but you don't get the rollercoaster.

So if it were me, Id have 1 3/4 muffin with pb, and make the other 1/4 with cinnimon and a bit of sugar.

Betty

FarmerHal

Post by FarmerHal » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:55 pm

xJocelynx87 wrote:Well i actually just discovered it....had never thought of doing it before, but read the suggestion somewhere and decided to try it. It was good! My only concern is that the sugar will send me on a rollercoaster, and the lack of protein will leave me hungry. Never have those problems with peanut butter. Hmmm...decisions. Thanks for the input, KCCC!
For me, this would happen and I'd spend the day either fighting the sugar-induced cravings or completely blow it.

I save truely sweet stuff like that for S days because it's just a gateway food for me, but I think it's terrible for your insulin that early in the morning- thus the sweet cravings the rest of the day.
{FarmerHal} ...previously Shamrockmommy...
Vanilla NoS... Making good habits.
Restart 12/2015, size 22
3/2016 size 18
1/2018 size 18

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:45 pm

KCCC wrote:Grey area, hands down. ;)

So...
Is it a problem?
Do YOU think of it as a sweet? (Versus part of a meal?)
Is it a "gateway food"?
Can you eat it on occasion and be satisfied?

Consider the answers, and make your best call... and remember you can always reconsider.
I agree with KCCC all the way on this. As long as it's not a problem, it's not a problem. I put cinnamon and sugar on toast occasionally, and it's really very little. I am sure there is more sugar in a lot of other things that most of us don't bat an eye at. And of course I eat my cin/sug toast with something else or I would be a raving lunatic by 10AM.

It's so good that you are stopping and thinking! Keep it up.
Dawn

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:59 am

Thanks for all the responses, everyone! I will most likely stick to my english muffin with peanut butter most of the time since it's more filling and I love it, but I won't think much of it if I want to have butter, cinnamon, and sugar once or twice a week. Thanks again!