Strongwill Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

strongwill

Strongwill Daily Check In

Post by strongwill » Fri May 30, 2008 7:41 pm

:D Hi Everybody,

I am new to this site and love the idea of No S.
Today was the day when I found this diet on the net and already tried to apply... :? not much success so far as I am constantly hungry. It is harder than it sounds, but feel strong (that is why the name chosen "strongwill" to keep me reminded) enough to cope. I found lots of useful commonsense tips to give it a successful start!

Some data:
wheight today: 95kg (o/w 15kg gained and stuck during pregnancy)
height: 178cm
female
currently staying home with one 6m old little boy
I am guilty at all points:
- eat a lot of sweets - favourite is chocolate - used as antidepressant
- snack between meals, eg. eat leftovers of baby food :x
- love to take twice or more and eat until I pop.
On top of all this, as a typical Hungarian, I enjoy the greaciest and heaviest foods that ever existed on earth. (sometimes I wonder whether I need professional help...)

Goal: 75kg (bronz) 70kg (silver) 65kg (gold) within a year. :D

This is the first time I encountered such clear and logical diet instructions such as No S. All the rest is useless and/or short term.

So I truly believe (or rather hope?) I will succeed this time.

Bye for now :D :D
Babuci

CatholicCajun

Post by CatholicCajun » Fri May 30, 2008 7:58 pm

Hello Strongwill and welcome! I like your name, it may also be an encouragement for all of us. As you eat less often, your body will adjust, drink lots of water between meals and if it gets too bad I drink a glass of whole milk, some people on the boards do vegetable juice, whateve works for you. God luck and God bless.
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous

JillyBean

Post by JillyBean » Sat May 31, 2008 12:10 am

Welcome, Babuci!!

I like the idea of the bronze, silver and gold for weight goals! I think I will give that some thought.

Anyway, good luck to you! Looking forward to hearing more about your journey.
Jill

The food I eat today is my choice! What price am I willing to pay?

"There are no failures, only feedback." ~~ Robert Allen

strongwill

Post by strongwill » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:06 pm

Dear CatholicCajun and Dear JillyBean,

Thanks for your supporting words, it was nice feeling to get some responses. Hope you are getting on well with your diets.
I am not so sure whether I'm doing fine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Started on last Friday and since here is the summary of results so far:

31/05 Saturday: Yellow - tried to minimise sweets, snacks and seconds though
01/06 Sunday: Yellow - its our wedding anniversary, went out, ate a lot :(
02/06 Monday: Green
03/06 Tuesday: Green
04/06 Wednesday: Green
05/06 Thursday: Red - I just finished a chocolate bar and some baby poridge; could not resist... :oops:

I have some dilemma with fresh fruit and fruit juice (no added sugar types, of course)
Are they sweets and/or snacks? I don't want to feel guilty when I have some fruit, its healthy.
I drink appr a litre of fruit juice per day as a minimum and not only at meals but also whenever I feel thirsty during the day. As far as I know these contain fair amount of calories... I should probably try to reduce it to one or two glass a day as a max.
Fresh fruit: when to have them? On top of meals or as part of meals? I guess its all relative to what my habits used to be. Its almost sure that the surplus is not because of fruit... :)

bye for now...

PS: My husband started it too...:) He does not really need to loose weight but its good to have him aboard.
Babuci

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:53 pm

strongwill wrote:I drink appr a litre of fruit juice per day as a minimum and not only at meals but also whenever I feel thirsty during the day. As far as I know these contain fair amount of calories... I should probably try to reduce it to one or two glass a day as a max.

Fresh fruit: when to have them? On top of meals or as part of meals? I guess its all relative to what my habits used to be. Its almost sure that the surplus is not because of fruit... :)
Well, according to www.calorieking.com, 1 L fresh orange juice is a whopping 410 calories. 1 L grapefruit juice is about 400.

I would just eat fresh fruit for dessert and replace all that with water, but that's just me. :)

f
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:42 am

Welcome, StrongWill! As I see it, the plan with No S is to get out of the habit of eating between meals. So a snack is more of a "when" (meaning when you eat it) than a "what" (meaning what specific food you eat.) So while fruit is a healthier choice than chocolate, you still should not eat it between meals!

Some people put their fruit right on their plates! Others just set it nearby.

As for juice, since it is a liquid, it is fine for between meals. The only exception is if the juice seems to be leading you to over indulge, or have too much. I think that you should probably start with the basic No S rules, then after a few weeks think again about if you want to cut back on the juice. It is pretty difficult to change too many things at once!

And wonderful that your husband is following No S, too! That will make it easier for you!
:D

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:53 am

strongwill,

in the No S diet book, I believe that Reinhard says juices are fine as they are liquid and the point is to break us of food/eating habit. Bad paraphasing. Anyway.. so fruit juice is fine ...

you might find as you nos you don't need a litre throughout the day ...

just want to point out nos is not about counting calories so unless that is something you want to do, don't worry about that!!!!!!! Reinhard's rules ARE about reducing overall food intake, but he makes it simpler and more automatic by using the one plate, no snacks, etc :D

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

strongwill

Post by strongwill » Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:56 am

Thanks for all the tips and advises. I need to remain focused on only a few changes to be successful that is for sure...

Have a nice day, All :D
Babuci

strongwill

Post by strongwill » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:59 pm

Hi,

Here comes the summary of the past week Friday to Friday:

06/06 Friday: Green
07/06 Saturday: Yellow - garden party at night, I behaved well, did not eat too much
08/06 Sunday: Yellow
09/06 Monday: Red, sinned with snacks (Taco Chips)
10/06 Tuesday: Green
11/06 Wednesday: Red (Taco Chips again with mayonaise - remember not to buy anything like this!!!)
12/06 Thursday: Green
13/06 Friday: Green

I need to tighten up!!!!!! Baaaaaad baaaaad week :cry:

bye
Babuci

CatholicCajun

Post by CatholicCajun » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:46 pm

Hello! I try and not buy any junk or sweets or any weakness food during the week, too much temptaion for me. Awhile back I had some left over peanut butter cups and as I don't like cold chocolate, I put them in the freezer so they were cold, out of sight and I was able to enjoy them the next weekend. God Bless.
Je'sus, j'Ai Confiance dans Vous