Green

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

green

Green

Post by green » Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:27 pm

OK, I *finally* figured out where the daily check in was. SO, after having some great sweets last night...I think I'll restart my days at #1.

So, day one, I am a 5'6'' female weighing 242 lbs (and sexy, too! Heh). I am a librarian and a waitress. And, I'm somewhat of a nerd (I've memorized the entire library by subject over the summer and I read dictionaries for fun...)

So, yeah. Here's day #1 (should be like day 10 by now!) LOL. Anyway, it really is a great system. Although I've messed up a few times, I've definitely passed on a few doughnuts, brownies, and pieces of cake. So, I know it's already starting to help...

JWL

Post by JWL » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:05 pm

That's the spirit, Kelly. Ease into it, and even with "transgressions" it is apparent that everything you do is probably an improvement over old bad habits.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:27 pm

Hi Kelly.

I'll bet you're a terrific Scrabble player. :D

It sounds like you are in the mindset of No S already.

Looking forward to having you around.

Dru

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:28 pm

Kelly!!! Glad you are here you sexy librarian!!!
Guess what??? Did you know that Reinhard was a (sexy) librarian too???
See! A match made in heaven!!!
Good luck and have a great one! :D
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

green

Post by green » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:25 pm

(Gratefuldeb67...don't I know it!) So, guys, I am on day #2! Yay! And there was much rejoicing among the peasants!

cvmom: Scrabble is the best game ever. It's so much fun. The only flaw with it is that you can't make really fun words like omphaloskepsis, which means meditating while staring at your belly button! It's definitely my favorite word...

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:36 pm

Green! Let us dispense with the formalities, since we have been close friends for 48 hours!!! LOL...
"Deb" is fine!
Easier to type fast....

Omphaloskepsis???? :lol:
That's cool...

I think my mom used to catch me doing that and called it
"Contemplating your poopik"......

(pronouned like "look" not "poop"...)
I love scrabble too!!! Though I'm admittedly very slow at forming my words on the board... :P
Have a Great Green Day!!!
Peace,
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Aug 19, 2005 2:29 pm

Kelly:

Yes, scrabble is limiting in that way because you only get a certain amount of letters. I got the new updated scrabble dictionary a few weeks ago. It contains over 4000 new legal scrabble words. A very fun read.

Deb, a quick question: when you are in pyramid pose with your head down on the ground do you ever practice omphaloskepsis? :wink:

Happy Friday Gals. Kelly enjoy your S weekend tommorrow.

Dru

Blondie

Post by Blondie » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:11 pm

Our family LOVES SCrabble, though no one can beat my mama very often (also a librarian and lover of words). We also have a long-standing debate as to whether browsing a Scrabble dictionary is against the rules. It is clear that browsing while involved in a game is not allowed, but when there isn't a game going on...can you cheat at a game that you are not currently playing?

Haha, but to tell you the truth I don't remember which side I took--my mom doesn't think it's cheating, my dad does (the sacred Scrabble bible, only to be used for reference, I suppose?) and I don't know where my sis falls. :lol:

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Aug 19, 2005 4:19 pm

Hey Mandy:

We don't allow use of the dictionary during the game but we do allow the "cheat sheet" of two letter words. My husband and I get lethal during the games and challenge each other's words constantly. My husband is British and he comes up with these bizzare words that I think have to be fake. Then I look them up and they are valid words. Frustrating.

Sorry to hijack your board Kelly...

D.