Fancy digital pedometers

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
fkwan

Fancy digital pedometers

Post by fkwan » Thu May 22, 2008 6:43 pm

I just ordered one of those new fancy digital pedometers from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Omron-HJ-112-Digi ... 018&sr=8-1

I'll be walking a lot on my upcoming vacation and I wanted to see how much more vs. now (apparently just walking from the train station to where I'll be staying is almost 4 miles). Anyway, I've always hated pedos and found them grossly inaccurate, but apparently these new models are supposed to be better and can be used from a pocket or around the neck. Has anyone used one? Do they suck or are they a necessity? :)

f
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

mjn

Post by mjn » Fri May 23, 2008 1:04 am

I just bought mine from there too. It is the same one. I love it!!! You can put it in your pocket and it is accurate. I find I do alot more walking when I wear my pedometer and keep track of steps.

navi

Post by navi » Fri May 23, 2008 11:03 pm

I have been using this pedometer for about a year. I have found it to be pretty accurate and convenient. Two suggestions:

1. if you clip it to your waist be sure to use the "leash", it tends to fall off at inopportune times (like when you pull pants down, then "splash", if you get my drift....)

2. I found that somehow the "reset" button would be pressed accidentally while in my pocket - this is very annoying, as you lose all your steps for the day. After this happened a few times I ended up taping a tiny piece of flat plastic over the button. besides that it is great!

fkwan

Post by fkwan » Thu May 29, 2008 6:21 pm

gionta wrote:I have been using this pedometer for about a year. I have found it to be pretty accurate and convenient. Two suggestions:

1. if you clip it to your waist be sure to use the "leash", it tends to fall off at inopportune times (like when you pull pants down, then "splash", if you get my drift....)
I've worn conventional pedos in the past, so the first thing I do before pulling pants down is to take the thing off. :) Of course, that means I have to remember to put it back on. In my particular *grrl* mode, the problem is more CRASH than SPLASH. :)

It certainly appears to be a good motivator. I can't wait to see it in a normal urban walking environment (drool) instead of one where you have to take the steps where and when you can, or if. :(

f
One must know his limitations. -- John Milius
Beginning weight: 115
Currently: Haven't a clue

zeahpug

Rural Ranger using pedometer for years.

Post by zeahpug » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:35 pm

I have tried a few different pedometers but love the Accusplit Eagle and have had the same unit for at least two years if not longer. I have slowly worked up to at least 10,000 per day. Rarely skip a day. Listen to books on tape for motivation. Sometimes wear a weight vest for part of the walk, too.
BW: 176 lbs 6/08
CW: 174ish
Regularly walk over 10,000 steps per day with pedometer (Rural Ranger).
Goal weight 150ish.