Ida's check in thread

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ida

Ida's check in thread

Post by ida » Tue May 17, 2005 9:24 pm

I think this is a great idea, accountability helps, a lot. Thanks Richard!

Long term goals:
* Weight: 110lb
* Stop drinking sugar free saft
* Learn to enjoy sugary foods the rare occasions I *decide* to have them
* Start eating more vegetables

Bit stressed at the moment because of exams coming up, but really pleased I managed to stick with it. It really makes me feel so much more confident.

B: No-added sugar fruit yogurt
L: Ryebread with fish balls and remoulade
D: Lasagne and a lot of green beans. One glass of 0.5% milk

Drinks: sugar free fruit drink - I know its full of bad things, but I can't tolerate water on its own yet, and I think its better than drinking diet coke! Lots of green tea and sleepy tea.

Exercise: 2 x 5 mile/8 km cycle ride to school and back

Overall: Perfect (apart from the sugar free squash)

Goals for tomorrow:
* Don't freak out over exam
* Hold self calm and collected and elegant
* Keep self-confidence UP, and stop comparing
* Avoid the lure of diet coke

Thanks again Richard, I know this will help me.
Love Ida xx

navin

Biking

Post by navin » Tue May 17, 2005 11:03 pm

Wow... 10 miles of cycling a day? I wish I could do that! (I do try to cycle to work when I can, but I live pretty close so it's a round trip of about 3-4 miles.) With that kind of exercise I think you'll get off to a good start... :-)

ida

Post by ida » Wed May 18, 2005 5:58 pm

Thanks for your comment navin. It isnt so bad once you get used to it. It's a lot easier for me than I guess it is in the US, all roads where I live have cyclepaths (sort of raised lane next to sidewalk) and there are special bike lights and all, so that helps a lot. Problem with cycling so much is that I have sometimes maybe :oops: tended to compensate.. "Oh, I just cycled a long way, I'll have a chocolate bar!".

--

Exam I had today went fine, the grammar test was great (got result already), and I'm proud of my essay, so I hope I get a good mark. Bit stressed about the other 4, but I'm sure it'll all go fine. Had a bit much diet coke (needed some to keep me awake, and then bought some because it was on special offer, oops!). Didnt eat any vegetables alone, but there were a lot of fresh pureed tomatoes in the medley.

B: No added-sugar yogurt
L: Ryebread, fish balls etc.
D: Medley with pasta. 2 glasses 0.5% milk

Drinks: Oops. 2 cans of diet coke and 1.5l diet coke :roll: Will have sleepy tea later.

Exercise: 2 x 5 miles cycling

Overall: Good. Shame about the diet coke, but it tastes SO good.

Goals for tomorrow:
* Do yoga
* Do some reading for exams
* Keep calm and elegant

Going to watch "fat camp" documentary now!

Love Ida xx :)

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Wed May 18, 2005 9:47 pm

Best wishes on the remainder of your exams, Ida!

navin

Post by navin » Thu May 19, 2005 12:04 am

Yes, having good infrastructure (bike lanes, wide streets, etc.) definitely helps make it easier to cycle. My city is slowly improving... even the "narrow" road I live on is wide enough so that cars can pass me safely when I'm biking on the side (cars yes, but not trucks and SUVs... :? )

As for the diet coke - hey, that's better than a regular coke! I weaned myself off of soft drinks a while ago - I do still have the occasoinal Sprite (mixed with cranberry juice... good stuff!) but it is definitely an S-day thing. 90% of the time I drink water... I will drink fruit juice occasionally, usually with breakfast if all I have is a small bowl of cereal.

ida

Post by ida » Thu May 19, 2005 9:11 pm

Thanks gals, you're all so positive. I'm keeping myself calm and collected, so I breeze through them (at least that's the plan!). Thinking about buying myself an epilator as a reward for coping so far!! Well done for weening yourself off the soft drinks, I don't think I ever will fully!

--

Everything went great on my day off, although I didn't study, oops!

B: fat free yogurt
L: ryebread, fishballs etc.
D: Spaghetti bolognaise (home made, so choc full of veg). 1.5 glasses 0.5% milk

Drinks: Sugar free saft, diet coke (oops again!)

Exercise: yoga and some short circuits

Goals for tomorrow:
* Keep relaxed
* Do yoga

Gonna go back to laughing at the results of eurovision semifinal!!!

Love Ida xx

PS: I just saw Denmark are through to the final!!!! Drinking on saturday I think!

:lol:

jools

Diet drinks

Post by jools » Fri May 20, 2005 3:16 pm

Hi Ida,
Thought I would chime in here, in hopes to encourage you.
Diet Drinks are allowed on this EP so please be kind to yourself, if having a diet soda keeps you from binging on say that choc bar, then my goodness have it gf.
I was once a Diet Pepsi addict, had to have several everyday or I would go crazy. I realized i really should stop drinking them like water so
I very slowly weaned myself off them, first cutting down to one a day for several weeks, then just on the weekends only. Now I honestly cant remember when i had my last diet pepsi or any cola for that matter. and guess what i dont miss it.

I have water at meals, with an occasional glass of wine.
So anyways, take it slow, you dont have to conquer everything at once. I concentrated on the SSS first, then asked myself what i needed to do to increase my healthiness.

ida

Post by ida » Fri May 20, 2005 6:31 pm

Hi jools, thanks very much for your reply - its encouraging to realise I'm not the only one with this prob! I think I'm probably the same as you, I tend to drink sugar free fruit stuff mostly,but sometimes we get a lot of bottles of diet coke and I just start drinking.. its a personal battle more than anything. I'm trying to get it back to a "treat" like you did, so I'm hoping I can just eat more.. naturally and cleanly. That said, I think it's very cool you managed it!! I've tried so much. *excuses* maybe after exams! :roll:

--
I did great in my exam today, and the one on weds, so I'm really happy. Teacher was very complimentary :D

B: yogurt (as usual)
L: Ryebread etc (as usual)
D: Daal with basmati rice 1.5 glasses 0.5% milk.

Drinks: Lots of sugar free saft (wow, I realised I drink at least 4l a day!!) and some diet coke, plus lots of green tea.

Exercise: 2 x 5 mile cycling, no yoga :(

Goals for tomorrow:
* Try not to be too self critical
* Keep holding head high
* Enjoy starwars tomorrow!!!

Take care all
Love Ida xx
:D

ida

Post by ida » Sat May 21, 2005 11:21 pm

Lets try again, sober this time:

I lost 4lb this week, which I'm dead impressed with. 115lb now. It's verging on worrying, but I'm assuming it was because Auntie Flo was on visit last week, and that causes bloating, and I only lost 1lb next week. If it doesnt slow down next week (however happy I am, I realise 4lb is a bit unhealthy) then I'll look at how much I eat. Star wars 3 rocked, and yesterday night I had great fun. Even though I don't have "S days" as such, I'm always a bit more generous at weekends, like I allow myself to drink and eat a bit more for dinner.

B: yogurt
L: ryebread
D: homemade pizza

Drinks: Sugar free saft, water, cola light, vodka

Exercise: Walked around town for ages (does this count? :P)

Goals for tomorrow (well, today):

* Get enough sleep for major exam tomorrow
* Try not to stress out
* Find some nice new clothes :D

PS: The pink pearlescent nailpolish I got for getting to my goal is GORGEOUS.

Love Ida xxx :?

ida

Post by ida » Mon May 23, 2005 8:12 pm

Phew, awful day. Exam went badly but I met a nice american chap who also wants to apply for medicine, so we're in the same boat at least.

The good: erm, none.
The bad: I didn't manage no S today. I just had an awful day and I know thats no excuse, normally I can keep going but today, argh. I basically messed up THE exam, so I have to retake it if I wanna go to uni to study medicine. Sucky. I had normal breakfast and lunch, then dinner was pizza (well, not too bad, fits on a plate) and then a small handful of candy. First time I've had candy in months, but at least I stopped after 10-15 pieces. On the other hand, I am drinking water now, even though I did have some diet coke today.

But at least it's only an exam I failed, its not the end of the world. And tomorrow's a new day.

Love Annie xx :shock:

ida

Post by ida » Tue May 24, 2005 8:28 pm

Today went a bit better, at least I passed the exams I had today. Tomorrow I have one more exam, and then I'm free and I just have to wait for the terrible news about the exam yesterday. Ah well, such is life. I went forwards today, not backwards and although I regret eating candy, at least I got back on the horse today.

Feeling a bit better today.

B: yogurt etc
L: Ryebread etc. + cucumber chunks
D: homemade lasagne with green beans

Drinks: 2+l water, lots of green/sleepy tea, and maybe a little bit of coke. But! A victory! No sugar free saft at all. yay!

Exercise: 2 x 5 mile cycle

Goals:

* Forgive myself about the exam. It's not the end of the world
* Do yoga at some point in the next year!!
* Keep up the good work

I'm going to relax completely tomorrow, we're having homemade pizza and the final bottle of coke, to accompany "fat camp" and "ladette to lady" on TV.

Love Ida xx

ida

Post by ida » Wed May 25, 2005 8:55 pm

Today went great, I passed the oral exam and now I'm free from exams. Tomorrow I have off, which is nice

B: yogurt as usual
L: ryebread etc as usual
D: home made pizza

Drinks: lots of water (yay!), lots of green/sleepy tea (yay!), diet coke (:roll:).
Exercise: 2 x 5 mile cycle

Total: :)

Am happy I'm finally going downwards with my sugar free saft consiumpton - none today!

Goals:

* Keep working on posture and walk
* Get more sleep
* Keep up the good work

Love Ida xx

ida

Post by ida » Fri May 27, 2005 9:48 pm

Oops! Forgot a day!!

Thurs:
B: yogurt
L: ryebread
D: spag bolog.