Denisems's Daily Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

denisems

Denisems's Daily Check-in

Post by denisems » Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:54 pm

Starting my check-in today, although I am currently on day 4 of No S-ing. I'm quite proud of myself. I'm not as cranky as I thought I would be, but that not eating at night thing is crazy. I have been doing hot tea and hot low-sodium chicken broth. One warm cup of something in my tummy seems to ease the hunger pains. Man, it's rough going on that nighttime noshing. I never realized how it was such a huge part of my day. If I can move away from that without any permanent scarring, then I'm in. So, I will see you tomorrow--with a happy, positive response, of course.
Sincerely, Denise :P :lol: :P :lol: :P :lol:
"Loosen up! Have some fun! Yes, sleep when you feel like it...Eat food that is bad for you--at least once in a while...Make love in a hammock! Life is the ultimate experience..."
--English Professor in "The Sure Thing"

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:08 pm

Hey Denise!!! Great work so far!!!
Night time eating, whether in front of tv or whatever, is, I think, the hardest part of any diet, NOS or otherwise...
I believe many of us have struggled with that at the beginning, so you are not alone...
Heck if you break down a teeny bit and have a small portion of fruit and veggies, like celery or an apple, you won't be killing yourself..
Still far better than sitting down with a bag of Cracker Jacks and washing it down with a gallon of Ben and Jerrys....
Good luck, just keep trying......
I have had many "failures" in my attempts, but the attempt is just as worthy as the actual success.. keep going and it will all fall into place, with very little effort, if you do it long enough.. Get down your habits!!!
Love,
8) Deb

JWL

Post by JWL » Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:34 pm

hi denisems,

I feel your pain! And I did not have ( ::pounds fist on table:: ) sexual relations with that woman!

(pardon the bizarre Clinton reference...)

But yes, I totally get nighttime binge eating, the bane of my existence for years!

So to combat that, I had to institute a strict no-eating after 9pm rule. Try that for a while. It's hard when you start, but eventually you get (more) used to it, and it's easier to recover from backslides if/when they happen...
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

denisems

Doing great!

Post by denisems » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:02 pm

:D :D :D Okay, my check-in isn't so daily, but I have go great news! I did five days (Monday-Friday) of No S-ing and now I'm on my weekend. The only snack I've had today was a slice of deli turkey. I just didn't feel the need to go further. I will be going to lunch and I promised my kids we'd go out for ice cream. I refuse to get on a scale. I have an idea what I weighed before I started, but I don't have an exact number. I don't want to be tied to the scale. It disappoints, scares, frustrates, and pisses me off. I will go by how my clothes fit and how I feel. By the way, my clothes feels a bit looser and my energy is incredible. I've done loads of laundry today, and I am ready to do more. It's so cool. I survived my first week with no permanent damage. I can do this and not suffer. I am pleasantly surprised. See ya. Sincerely, Denise :D :D :D
"Loosen up! Have some fun! Yes, sleep when you feel like it...Eat food that is bad for you--at least once in a while...Make love in a hammock! Life is the ultimate experience..."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:15 am

Great job Denise!!!
Enjoy your earned S's this weekend!!!
Love,
8) Deb

peetie

Post by peetie » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:35 pm

Freakwitch,

You are a riot!!!! And that is one of the highest compliments I can pay a fellow human being.

Peetie

JWL

Post by JWL » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:31 pm

peetie, thanks for the high compliment. All politicans are fair game in my reality, whether they are repubocrat or demlican. :twisted:

and denisems, you rock! Your experience is very similar to my own; when I started eating less, my energy levels went through the roof. And it didn't even take long for that to happen, the first week I noticed it.

And how I felt was immediate confirmation that I was on to something with No S. Enjoy your increased energy levels, but you should also mentally budget for the fact that those levels with taper off and fluctuate some. Stick with it! It's healthy!
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

ClickBeetle

Post by ClickBeetle » Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:43 am

Re: nighttime/bedtime hunger -- I find it very hard to get to sleep when hungry (not to mention, it just does not seem normal and healthy to go to bed hungry) -- so I made an allowance (by "virtual plating") for a cup of hot cocoa at bedtime. The milk has a good amount of protein, which seems to stay with me all night, and the hot drink made me pretty sleepy.

Of course, right at the moment (August), hot drinks seem very unappealing. But maybe you could find something else that's fairly healthy and will stick to your ribs, like peanut butter on apple wedges, or a couple of cubes of cheese.
Chance favors the prepared. - Louis Pasteur

denisems

Post by denisems » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:46 pm

WOW!!! Had a great, eye-opening weekend. I did some night snacking on Saturday night and I didn't feel too swift. The only sugar I had was an ice cream bar and it was just okay. I do like the freedom that the weekends bring, but in some instances I felt like I went out of my way to overeat. I get it now, I don't have to. Overall, my choices were decent, I just overate a bit. Now I don't have to. I'm glad this weekend happened. Doing great Monday and today.
Cheers, Denise :roll: :wink: :roll:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:27 pm

Open eyes rule!!!!!
Awesome news Denise! Glad you had a nice weekend eating brown rice and beef jerky with Strawberry shortcake!!!
So, don't you love NOS?!!!

Keep up your enthusiastic attitude!!!
Love,
8) Deb