What exercise are you guys doing??

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

angelka71

What exercise are you guys doing??

Post by angelka71 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:46 am

Just curious. I'm walking, some days more than others, and doing Shovelglove (love it, btw)..just wondering what you guys do?

clio

Post by clio » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:14 am

Couch to 5K because it's easy and motivating (20 minutes 3x /wk), walking to the grocery store because I like to have a destination when I walk, also some pilates or TTAPP because they only take about 15 or 20 minutes and that's all I can commit to.
SW: 154

Mavilu

Post by Mavilu » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:46 am

Stationary bike + free weights.
When my legs get too tired I pedal with my arms on my mini-bike, when I'm bored, I use my Wii, sometimes I do yoga, not too often because it aggravates my sciatic nerve.
I used to walk in my back yard at night, I used to love it and I miss it, but, since we have had two bears come visiting the yard to gather fruit, I'm not so keen on walking at night in the dark any more.

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:19 am

Kung fu lessons twice a week and whenever else I get a chance, bodyweight resistance work twice a week, running or interval training twice to three times a week depending on intensity and how much time I have, and squash when I can squeeze it in (sorry).
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:52 am

Pilates and yoga classes, up to 3 days a week if my schedule allows.

BodyPump on Saturdays (sort of weight-lifting in an aerobics format). I really like it, but between holidays and travel, I've missed a bunch. :(

"15 minutes of something" on other days. I try to do "something" (either classes or my 15 minutes) 5 days out of 7.

If I had unlimited time, I'd walk more or do more aerobics/cardio in some form.

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:06 pm

I have been doing the SG exercises, and I try to walk every day of the work week. Right now I get in about a 20 minute walk. I plan to increase it as it gets easier.

OrganicGal

Post by OrganicGal » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:15 pm

My goal since I refocused on my whole committment to No S has been to do at least 20 minutes of exercise other then what I would normally get, Mon to Fri. If I did something on the weekends...which I do 99% of the time....it was just bonus.
My exercise is usually walking or bike riding. It's funny, overall, I prefer to walk by myself....but bike ride with someone.
Creating and sustaining the No S habits are the only thing that will take me in the direction I want to go!

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:03 pm

I swim a little less than two miles a day, doing all four strokes. I am about to start doing some shovelglove, as well. I keep putting that off, though, because I don't know which sledgehammer to buy. (Eight pounds? Heavier, etc.?) Any input would be appreciated.

chentegt

Post by chentegt » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:01 pm

Before any other kind of exercise for the day, I do my 14 minutes of shovelglove. Then, if I'm not hurried, I add 10-15 minutes of jumping rope. If I wake up too early and I have lots of time, instead of the rope, I try to walk around the house and/or around the building. Usually it's the jumpring rope "extra" the one I end up doing instead of the walking because of time. But SG is a *must*, always the priority, and the easiest to stick to.

janiean1

Hello

Post by janiean1 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:17 pm

I have started walking three miles every morning this week. I go super early so it won't be too hot. This seems to keep me motivated to stick on NoSing for the remainder of the day.

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:14 am

1-2 times a week intense cardio intervals
1-2 times a week resistance/weight

everything is varied week to week somewhat,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

la_loser

My current exercise of choice

Post by la_loser » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:40 am

During the summer I'm enjoying a fifty minute daily water "aerobics" class at at the local pool. It is a whopper of a workout but places no stress on these "mature" joints of mine! And it's a perfect chance to get to "go swimming" and be among ladies who are around my age (range from early 40's to close to 80!) who all hope to get in shape, get healthier and hopefully lose a few pounds as well. Gee, sometimes I feel like the youngest, skinnieist person in the pool. (And that's saying something!)

When the pool closes for the summer, I'll pay my dues for the local natatorium and attend those classes a few evenings a week. Historically, I haven't fared as well during those winter months, having to park the car and hike a bit in the freezing cold in order to exercise in over-chlorinated water. . . but I hope to stick it out this winter. In both classes, we hang in the deep water on those foam noodles and do all kinds of truly invigorating moves.

As one who hates exercise and as many different things as I've tried in the past, I've never found anything that I didn't really detest doing. All the people who talk about how great they feel or how much they miss working out or whatever, I've never experienced that! Wish I could! But the "water works" classes-those I look forward to and will rearrange my day to accommodate my daily swim.

Ours are sponsored by our city's parks and recreation department in the summer and by our local university in the winter. Check it out--you might something in your area. Maybe at your local YMCA if you have one.

Laff

Post by Laff » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:42 am

I have finally got back to Curves and hope that by the time I go back to work in September it will be a habit and I will continue. I have also got back to doing Jorge Cruise's 8 Minutes in the Morning. I don't know why I ever stopped. One day I should start walking, hmmm, yes I should! :shock:
Gotta smile. Laff

Achieving begins with believing!

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:44 pm

I walk. Period. I can't do Shovelglove for health reasons. Walking is what I've done most of my life. I just used to do a LOT more of it than I do now!
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

MoTappin

Post by MoTappin » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:45 pm

I do intervals on the treadmill, and I just started using Russian kettlebells. I did SG for a couple of weeks and I really liked it, but decided to give the kettlebells a try, and I can't really do both. I've also done T-Tapp for about 3 years, but I think it's time to try something else for a while (I'm sure I'll end up going back to that on some level though).
Meredith

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:05 pm

Ttapp, Intervals on the treadmill, yoga and hiking.

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:00 pm

Okay, I give up; what is T-tapp?

MoTappin

Post by MoTappin » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:09 pm

T-Tapp is a little bit like yoga or pilates, but there's more movement involved (not holding poses). It's a great strength training program but you use your own body for resistance...no weights. Your heart rate really gets up there too. When I started over 3 years ago I lost inches like crazy...about 60 of them in a year's time. I went from a size 14 to a 6, but only lost about 40 lbs because I put on muscle. I need to shake things up for a while, but I'm sure I'll be back to it. It's pretty awesome.

There's very specific form to it, making it very mind-body and pretty intense! There's a website at T-Tapp.com, and I believe there are clips on YouTube. You work all your muscles simultaneously with full fiber activation. So you don't bulk up, you streamline.
Meredith

navi

Post by navi » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:01 pm

To the T-tappers out there - which workout do you recommend, and how often do you do it? Is it fun & relatively un-annoying? (some workout tapes have annoying music or instructors). How would you compare to Jennifer Kries' total body or the NYC ballet workout (if you have done them)?

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:05 pm

The Ttapp website has a plethora of information. (www.ttapp.com) There are many helpful trainers that check the boards every day and much information.

It can be overwhelming to look at all the DVD options. The Basic Workout is a good system, but if you have a lot to lose there are some easier workouts.

I did a lot of Ttapp last summer and I really enjoyed how it made me feel, plus it lengthens the muscles so they look longer and leaner. It's kind of like putting on an internal girdle; it really works the core. I just restarted doing the Ttapp exercises. I think they are very good.

I believe the the exercise that you should do is any thing that you enjoy and that you like. As long as you are moving, its all good.

I love reading about all the different ways there are to move our bodies.

D
PS. I'm going to attempt tap dancing next Fall. It's supposed to be hard. But it sounds like fun.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:52 am

gionta wrote:To the T-tappers out there - which workout do you recommend, and how often do you do it? Is it fun & relatively un-annoying? (some workout tapes have annoying music or instructors). How would you compare to Jennifer Kries' total body or the NYC ballet workout (if you have done them)?
I tried T-Tapp. The exercises are quite good - intense. They require precision of form plus movement. I can't compare to the other items you mention, though - sorry.

However, the dvds have such horrendous production values that I find them almost unusable (which really annoyed me given the price). I can't navigate through them without fast-forwarding because the menu system doesn't work properly. So, I tend not to do them at all.

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:27 am

I walk 3-4 times a week (40-50 mins). I am trying to introduce shovelglove, but only do it twice a week at the moment.

feelgood

Post by feelgood » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:44 am

I walk with a pedometer (doesnt' count otherwise :)) and I take belly-dance classes. Yes, really!! Five minutes of a basic hip shimmy and it's like running a marathon! Bellydance is the only exercise I've ever done that I do for the joy of it, although I started just for the exercise. And the 15 pounds that I've lost are only going to make the dancing easier!

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:33 am

Right now, I'm committing to 20 minutes a day of cardio (usually a combination of walking, elliptical trainer, and/or another cardio machine). I try to keep the level as intense as possible so that I can really burn up some calories in a short amount of time. Before and/or after this cardio, I've been doing some pushups, walking lunges, and sit-ups. I've been trying to do this daily. For some reason (that I haven't yet figured out), if I commit to daily exercise, it seems to be easier for me to stick to than if I commit to exercising 3-5 times a week.

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:58 pm

Thanks for the info on the T-tapp, I am going to see whether there are any classes in my area. Yesterday I swam the fly and breast strokes repeatedly, and I can really feel that today. I like to incorporate exercise into whatever I do. This morning, for example, I was in a room that I avoid in the summer (way too hot, in the attic) and discovered that wisteria had grown through the window screen and a crack in the window. It looked like an illustration from "Jack and the Beanstalk."I had to run to get the garden pruning equipment, struggle with the vine, cut it back, put everything away, vacuum, etc., and feel that I have had a second workout for the day.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:27 pm

Hey, Flipturn, I think that cutting down beanstalks definitely qualifies for exercise! LOL

flipturn

Post by flipturn » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:06 pm

Hi, cvmom, I'm glad that I made you laugh! It is so hot today that I think that the only other exercise I am going to do is power-walking through the grocery store.

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:56 pm

I wish I could swim for exercise, but I wear contacts and no matter what kind of goggles I get, they leak. :cry:

Power walking in the grocery store sounds fine. You might want to walk very fast through the snack aisle!

navi

Post by navi » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:09 pm

cvmom, I take out my contacts and wear prescription swim goggles:

"There are two type of prescription options: Step Diopter: is a pre-fabricated goggle in spherical prescription lenses analogous to half-eye reading glasses. You pick the goggle that is closest to your prescription instead so that you can see, but won't see perfectly. A Custom Goggle is like your regular glasses where we make a prescription lens with your exact prescription into the goggle. Generally, step diopter goggles work for most people. Those with powers over -8.00 or with astigmatism over -1.00 (second number in your prescription or the number written under cylinder) should consider custom made goggles as vision will be compromised in a step diopter goggle. If you have different prescription powers in each eye, you want to pick a goggle like the Vju as you can put different lenses in each eye. Also, a good rule of thumb is to round down, rather than up in choosing a step diopter goggle. (i.e. your prescription is -2.75, choose -2.50) If you have trouble deciding what power lenses to choose, consult your doctor."

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:10 am

Thank You Gionta!

That's a great idea. I think I will ask my Eye doctor. I never thought of that!

CVmom :D

ktharmoney

Post by ktharmoney » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:59 pm

I live in a smaller town where I can walk everywhere. I walk to the grocery store, the post office, the farmers' market, etc. On an average day, I walk about 2.8 miles. Additionally, I try to do kick boxing videos about four or five times a week. (The endorphin rush that I get from exercising helps me manage my anxiety and depression, which I've struggled with for years). This will all change once school starts though...I'll likely be busier then. I have some kick boxing tapes that are 30 minutes though, so that should do it.

ou812

Post by ou812 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:04 pm

I do a combniation of calisthenics (push ups, situps, body weight squats) and self resistance exercises (one arm resisting against the other arm.) I was shocked at the results that I got from doing these exercises. Remember the Charles Atlas ads in the back of comic books? They really do work. I have packed on more muscle doing these than when I used to lift weights. It is also very convenient. i am finished in the time it takes someone to drive to the gym and back.

No S Dieter

Post by No S Dieter » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:33 pm

I try to get in a half hour walk every day. Many times I take my ipod with me, but sometimes I just enjoy the peace and quiet of the walk. I've learned that it helps increase my energy level and metabolism if I am faithful to my walking routine. It's a great morale booster too! :D
www.mynosdietjourney.blogspot.com
I'm a No S Dieter and happy about it!
See why on my blog!

vmelo

Post by vmelo » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:00 pm

ou812 wrote:I do a combniation of calisthenics (push ups, situps, body weight squats) and self resistance exercises (one arm resisting against the other arm.) I was shocked at the results that I got from doing these exercises. Remember the Charles Atlas ads in the back of comic books? They really do work. I have packed on more muscle doing these than when I used to lift weights. It is also very convenient. i am finished in the time it takes someone to drive to the gym and back.

This is great! I've been interested in whether these types of exercises would produce results. If you don't mind, could you post a typical routine? Also, how often do you do this, and how long does it take?

Ideally, I'd love to be able to do 50 "real" push-ups a day as well as some other exercises like you're describing.

angelka71

Post by angelka71 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:09 am

Thanks, guys!! I love hearing all of your routines and tips. Gives me ideas about what else I can do.

Shirls

Post by Shirls » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:11 pm

You guys are so good :oops: I've loaded a lot of sixties rock onto my little mp player that hangs around my neck and I lock my study door at 5.30am and dance wildly around for twenty minutes every morning. DH is stil asleep and not there to laugh at me.
However I have just got Leslie Sansone's Walk At Home 3 mile DVD and will give that a go too on the nights he is out :wink:
Don't wait for the storm to be over - learn to dance in the rain.

storm fox

stuff

Post by storm fox » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:46 pm

I do a mix of stuff (barbell, kettlebell, bodyweight), although I'd like to finally codify things, trade some intensity for more frequency, etc. Fine tuning.

I work with kids (TSS), so I am active. The 4-year old girl I work with needs to be carried a good deal in our community time, and often at home. The two boys I work with (different houses) are very physically active: walking, riding bikes, running, window shopping, climbing trees, doing chores, etc. I like to participate to encourage them.

Of course, when and where it's feasible, I like walking.

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:21 pm

I canceled my gym membership and I do Leslie Sansone videos now.
Right now I am enjoying the new 30 minute Walk Down Your Blood Sugar dvd. She had a 20 minute one that she released a few years ago which I got my mom but the new one that came out a few months ago is GREAT! It's become my go to dvd lately.
I also enjoy basic yoga primarily for the breathing.
As a former smoker, my lungs still CONSTANTLY crave the deep breathing I used to get from inhaling smoke.
Plus, between the craziness at work, my mom being sick, her car accident, going out of town, the outrageous vet bill from my dog having a terrible seizure and my car breaking down...taking time out to breathe and exercise for 15-30 minutes a day has really helped me lately with the constant anxiety I have been feeling.
However, my interest has peaked regarding the recent posts on T-Tapp.
I am going to check out the site.
I used to workout more but right now I am focusing on how little I can do to get by!
I am trying to do workouts that I can do at 35 and still do at 75.

Shirls, I to like to dance around when no one is looking!

bonnieUK

Post by bonnieUK » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:01 pm

I seem to gravitate towards slow paced activities, like Walking, yoga, and general matwork exercises (a combination of things I learned from dance training years ago, floor barre & pilates type exercises).

BTW does anyone still do Callanetics?? When I was a dance student I couldn't afford gym membership, so I did a 40 min Advanced Callanetics video virtually every day over the summer break, with the aim of just keeping my strength and flexibility until the next semester. I was pleasantly surprised when it totally transformed my body in a way that no other exercise ever has (even yoga). Only reason I stopped doing it was because I got new DVDs that are more "modern" (e.g. various yoga & pilates stuff) and the Callenetics tape looked so dated in comparison. Can't argue with results though, so I may give it a go again!

Mighty Moose

Post by Mighty Moose » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:38 pm

I am one of those very active people.

I shovel glove five time a week.
I walk everywhere.
I practice Kajukenbo (its a Hawaiian Martial Art) every day.
I do Tai Chi three days a week.
I practice Boabom (Tibetan Martial Art) three time a week.
I also work in a special effects shop, so I tend to do a lot of heavy lifting and running around.
If I am being good I will also do some bike interval training.
The clown dances in a fire of delight. All for the sake of the mystery nut.

randallkharris

Post by randallkharris » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:45 pm

Normally I just walk a few days a week when I can get myself outside early enough in the morning -- but that generally doesn't happen with any regularity.

Yesterday we finally tracked down a Wii Fit, and I have high hopes for it. It seems to be the exercise equivalent of NoS -- something that will get the job done, but in the most painless way possible. (Yes, I know there's the whole discipline part of NoS, but for me so far, that has not been painful.)

And my daughter spent TWO HOURS on the Wii Fit today (not all at once), so that is exciting as well -- something that actually tricks you into exercising! We'll see what happens when the new wears off...

irish

Post by irish » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:42 pm

I, too, do Leslie Sansone videos - they're just great. I alternate between her 3 Mile Weight Loss Walk, Walk Away the Pounds, (these both use weights), and Walk Away Your Waistline. They're all 3 mile aerobic walks. I walked 2 miles everyday for about 5 years, but started doing these last Dec., and like them much more - you can do them at home, at anytime.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:25 am

Shirls wrote:You guys are so good :oops: I've loaded a lot of sixties rock onto my little mp player that hangs around my neck and I lock my study door at 5.30am and dance wildly around for twenty minutes every morning. DH is stil asleep and not there to laugh at me.
However I have just got Leslie Sansone's Walk At Home 3 mile DVD and will give that a go too on the nights he is out :wink:
That's cute!
Good for you! :wink:
Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

zeahpug

Exercise

Post by zeahpug » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:03 am

I do alot of walking with a pedometer, at least 10000 steps per day. I walk pretty much everyday. I use books on cd as a motivator. If the book is good, I don't want to stop walking!
Bad weather I will do a Leslie Sansone 'Walk Away the Pounds' workout or just walk inside on a treadmill.

I am wanting to add some shovelglove, but have to be careful because of neck/back problems.
BW: 176 lbs 6/08
CW: 174ish
Regularly walk over 10,000 steps per day with pedometer (Rural Ranger).
Goal weight 150ish.