barbell bar for shovelglove?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
steerpike

barbell bar for shovelglove?

Post by steerpike » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:10 pm

Hi All:

I am a total newbie who just joined this week and I am reading up on the whole shovelglove technique before I start it.

I was wondering has anyone used a barbell bar loaded with plates on one end as a shovelglove? This seems like an obvious possible alternative -- especially for microloading weight, but I've seached the archives and haven't seen anyone post about this.

Is there any reason why this wouldn't work or isn't a good idea?
Is anyone using this?

Thanks in advance for any advice or thoughts!

fungus

Re: barbell bar for shovelglove?

Post by fungus » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:32 am

steerpike wrote:I was wondering has anyone used a barbell bar loaded with plates on one end as a shovelglove?
I tried it once and it doesn't work. The balance is all wrong.

Shovelglove works because the weight distribution is uneven (the wieght being off center is what works the back/abs).

To do the same thing with a heavy bar you'd need to load it with so much weight on the end that you couldn't lift it.

steerpike

Post by steerpike » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:40 am

Thanks, Fungus!

I figured there was some reason because it hadn't been mentioned.

I live in Luxembourg and the sledgehammers here (all German brands) seem to have much shorter handles than the ones in the States.

What are you using, if you don't mind me asking?

fungus

Post by fungus » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:01 am

steerpike wrote: I live in Luxembourg and the sledgehammers here (all German brands) seem to have much shorter handles than the ones in the States.
I live in Spain and I got mine in a local hardware shop.

I just measured and the handle is 75cm long, I'm tall and I have no problems with the length.

steerpike wrote:What are you using, if you don't mind me asking?
This is mine: http://biggerhammer.bravehost.com/

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:04 pm

My biggest reservation about the barbell is that the weights will come flying off...

Not sure what to say about the sizes. I've only been to Europe once since coming up with Shovelglove, and I didn't have time to properly survey the options. But I would imagine that similar sized sledgehammers should be available, because similar work has to be done.

I poked around a bit on amazon.de and amazon.co.uk, but they don't seem to give the lengths of the hammers. They sure LOOK just as long as mine.

Reinhard

Mighty Moose

Post by Mighty Moose » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:58 pm

I actually use something similar to a barbell with weights. I am a big DIY person and I had a few spare parts from past projects around the house, so I made my own "sledge hammer".

Its a 36 inch x 1 inch steel bar with dumbbell weights and shaft collars. I use two 5 pound weights sandwiched between the shaft collars at one end. My home made "hammer" weighs about 15 pounds total and it works great for a sledge stand in. I also use it for clubbell training...
The clown dances in a fire of delight. All for the sake of the mystery nut.

twa2w

Post by twa2w » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:05 pm

I have used a bar in the past although I have never loaded it with plates. I do use a 4 foot bar that weighs about 16 pounds. I use it in a kayaking motion. I semi lunge from side to side as I kayak through the Bering sea looking for seals to ... Depending on how fast and deep you kayak this can give one heck of a workout - I can get winded in very short order

I have also used the bar in the regular shoveling ans chopping motions of shovel glove. It does give a different feel to it - works the muscles differently. It is longer than the Hammer so I am carefull of the ceilng.

Cheers
J

steerpike

Post by steerpike » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:06 am

Thanks everyone for -- dare I say it? -- weighing in on this :roll: .
I really appreciate the input.