What to wear under there?

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
Finnigan

What to wear under there?

Post by Finnigan » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:31 pm

This may sound a little strange, but for the past couple of days I have noticed something.

I'm overweight, and when I walk my thighs rub together. If it's a hot and humid day I can end up with sores from the seams in my jeans.

Well, It has been a late laundry week and I ran out of jockeys. I have some boxer shorts that were bought for me as a gag (they are camouflage. They were a gag gift because I play paintball. I kept them to wear around the house), so I went to them to try. In the past I have not been comfortable wearing boxers.

I have noticed though that walking in boxers under my jeans is more comfortable than jockeys! I think the material may act as a buffer layer between my legs and the jeans seam.

Whatever the case, I'm buying more boxers, and I thought I'd share the tip.

CharlieAngel

Post by CharlieAngel » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:38 am

A few things:
1) I wear boxer briefs. They're snug and help a bit with pulling some excess moisture out of the way. Also, I mostly wear looser shorts in this heat.
2) When you come in from walking, wipe the area down with TP or a towel or something. You want to get rid of the moisture, asap.
3) There's a product called "monkey butt" that cyclists use that will probably work nicely. Think talcum powder for your junk.
4) The heat rash (that's pretty much what it is, caused by the friction) will eventually go away on it's own and your body gets used to it. When I first started walking 9 miles/day, I had it hit me for the first 3-4 days. I paid close attention to keeping it dry and showering soon after the walk to rinse the area clean, and now I walk rash free.

5) Keep up the good work! :)

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:40 pm

Wow! Thanks for all the advice!

CharlieAngel

Post by CharlieAngel » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:40 pm

http://antimonkeybutt.com/whatisamb.html

for the anti-monkey butt powder.

mythos

Bodyglide

Post by mythos » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:43 am

I'm a kilt wearer, and when I first started to wear my kilt I found that I would get very sore in my inner thighs. Then I found a great product called Bodyglide. Bodyglide is used by runners, it comes in a stick (like deodorant), and one swipe in the affected areas (before you start walking) will allow your legs to rub together in a smooth fashion (it is basically a lubricant). http://www.bodyglide.com/

Now if I'm not wearing my kilt, but know that I'm going to be hot and sweaty, then I will wear a pair of boxer briefs (just like CharlieAngel suggested).

I also second that as you move more, your body will get used to it, and you will need such measures less frequently.

jessdr

Re: Bodyglide

Post by jessdr » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:47 pm

mythos wrote:I'm a kilt wearer, and when I first started to wear my kilt I found that I would get very sore in my inner thighs. Then I found a great product called Bodyglide. Bodyglide is used by runners, it comes in a stick (like deodorant), and one swipe in the affected areas (before you start walking) will allow your legs to rub together in a smooth fashion (it is basically a lubricant). http://www.bodyglide.com/

Why, why, why have they not marketed this product to women? (Not to discount male members of the skirt-like-garment-wearing public, merely pointing out that they're missing out on a huge share of the market.) They could make a killing if they put them on display next to skirts and uncomfortable shoes. (Which, unfortunately, tend to go hand-in-hand.)

This stuff is a godsend. Thanks for the recommendation!

dai479

A little late to the party...

Post by dai479 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:22 am

Just started on the site last night... So you may not read this, but I find Under Armor compression type shorts work great to keep from chafing and help wick away the moisture.

I just goggled and picked the first site with a picture of them:
http://www.gobros.com/cat/Under-Armour- ... 00501.html

These are the only underwear I ware when walking or running under shorts or pants. Especially in hot weather. They are amazing!

Phineas

Post by Phineas » Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:07 pm

Just started on the site last night... So you may not read this, but I find Under Armor compression type shorts work great to keep from chafing and help wick away the moisture.

I just goggled and picked the first site with a picture of them:
http://www.gobros.com/cat/Under-Armour- ... 00501.html

These are the only underwear I ware when walking or running under shorts or pants. Especially in hot weather. They are amazing!
This.

And if the Under Armor prices aren't to your liking, Walmart sells a very similar product of generic brand (Puritan maybe?) for less than $10.
5'8" Male

SW: 225 9/4/08
CW: 170 4/21/09
Goal 1: 195 (BMI 29 ie not obese) - ACHIEVED
Goal 2: 160 (BMI 24 ie not overweight)

dai479

Yeah!

Post by dai479 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:56 pm

Yeah, I've seen those at WalMart... Been meaning to get a pair and try 'em!!

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:46 am

To combat the "chub rub" I cut most of the legs off a pair of old panyhose and wore them under a long skirt in the hot summer months. I also bought some panties with long legs for ladies. I call them granny panties.
In the summer a long skirt is much cooler than jeans.
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

chiangmaiboss

Post by chiangmaiboss » Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:56 am

I think the problem may be the jeans. They are very abrasive when walking long distances. I have found loose khakis like Dockers to be more comfortable.
Chiang Mai and Nakhon Sawan, Thailand

JohnSnow

Post by JohnSnow » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:54 pm

For guys, the answer is two words: boxer briefs.

For the ladies, I suggest advocating for a similar product, or using tights.

I first encountered the chafing problem when I started working at the Renaissance Faire 9 years ago. I was walking all day - and at first I was doing it in what is basically a linen kilt (I was playing an Irish character). The chafing was BAD. To stop it, I bought 2 pairs of boxer briefs. Since then, boxer briefs have replaced boxers as my regular undergarments. Now, as long as I wear properly fitting boxer briefs, I almost never have any problem. I also second that with time, your body gets used to it. Whenever I stop walking for a bit, there can be a break-in period.

And boxer briefs under regular clothes look a lot less ridiculous than running shorts. ;)