I wonder if this would help...I've heard it works.

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:56 pm

I've heard Reinhard mention that some people following No-S allow certain foods to be eaten without considering them 'snacks'. For example, fruits; some people will allow themselves to consume ONLY fruits between their 3 meals, but they do not break the rule of No-Snacks. I've been having a real problem with between-meal eating, because I have a tendency to make meals on the smaller side because I really don't enjoy feeling overly stuffed, and whenever I incorporate fruit into the meal, that's what usually happens. This morning, for instance, my breakfast consisted of a slice of whole wheat toast with peanut butter, a banana, and a glass of milk. I would've been satisfied after the toast and milk, but ate the banana just because it was part of my one plate meal. I would've much preferred to have it later on in the morning when I burned through the toast. Moreover, most of the time, my 'red' days start because I eat a piece of fruit between meals, realize I've broken a rule, then I have a cookie or 2. (I know, not the way I should handle the situation, but it's what's been happening). So my question to all you wonderful people is: have any of you been successful allowing certain foods for between-meal eating (such as fruits or veggies)? Reinhard, I know you've said this has been beneficial for some people, but what are your personal thoughts on it? I know everyone here will have some wisdom for me!

Thanks in advance,
Jocelyn

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:02 pm

I allow myself fruit and cottage cheese (one small serving) between meals. The fruit is fairly self-limiting, for obvious reasons!

My problem time is late afternoon when preparing a family meal, and I find that by eating a strictly prescribed snack beforehand I can pre-empt any inclination to snack while cooking. This works for me, and because this is an established routine the snacks do not escalate. Putting the fruit and cottage cheese into tiny bowls limits the portion size and makes the quantities seem larger and more satisfying.

Maybe making such a snack legitimate rather than forbidden might help you to avoid escalation? Different things work for different people, though.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:37 pm

My personal thoughts are: it's clearly worked brilliantly for some people, but it is open to abuse and (generally speaking) I'd recommend proceeding with extreme caution.

But it does sound like in your case it may be worth a shot. I think the key to making it work is, as Too solid flesh points out, keeping the definition of what's allowed very clear.

Best of luck and let us know what you decide and how it works out for you!

Reinhard

Dawn

Post by Dawn » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:17 pm

My 2 cents: I understand the dangers of deviating from vanilla no-s, but sometimes you get a bug up your wahootie and you just have to see if something else works better for you. How about making a habit cal specifically for this new rule and make sure you are able to do it easily for at least 21 days? You can always go back to vanilla if you find it complicates things. Although I have not felt the need to incorporate a snack on N days, if I did I would make it the same thing everyday, like 1/2 a cup of fiber one cereal and a splash of milk - filling, healthy, but not so exciting that I want more of it or that I find myself day dreaming about it all day, like I admit I used to about cheesecake or whatever was in the fridge.
Dawn

funfuture

Post by funfuture » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:21 pm

A bug up your wahootie?? love it. :D :D

phosphorus

Post by phosphorus » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:29 pm

Ooh, I'm so glad somebody brought this up!

I spent a week experimenting a little bit with NoS and I had just made up my mind to try something like it. I had no idea it was a sort of "official variation." I am like the original poster in that I am trying NOT to stuff myself at meals. I am coming off a program where I lost a lot of weight by counting calories and having planned mini meals and snacks, and was looking for a sustainable maintenance plan.

I was trying to figure out how I was going to transition from these mini-meals that were so helpful to me in losing weight, to a No-S plan... thinking, well, I'll have to learn to eat more at meals again... and then I sort of had a moment of clarity and I realized that the habits that helped me lose the weight were the habits that I need to keep! If it works for me to have a morning and an afternoon mini-meal of controlled size, then doggone it, I'm going to do it, no matter what Reinhard says :-)

But I recognize that it's open to abuse, so if I'm going to do it then the mini meal has to follow some "rules." Simple, easy to remember ones, like the great rules that the NoS diet is based on. I love the rule that a particular kind of food is simply made exempt from the definition of "snack." It seems to be a logical extension from the NoS concept, since in NoS liquids (that aren't sweets) are exempt. It seems like a good variation for the hypoglycemic or for something to have immediately before exercise. You would want it to be a sort of food, though, that does not have the "can't eat just one" effect on you. If you can inhale a dozen oranges in one sitting, for example, maybe fruit would be a bad choice.