Laguna's daily check in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

laguna

Laguna's daily check in

Post by laguna » Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:23 pm

August 1, 2008 was my first NoS day and was a success. I have always had trouble with snacking between about 4 PM and dinner time because I get very tired feeling and think if I eat something I will feel better. So the No to the Snacking S made the NoS diet sound like it was right up my alley! On Day 1 I ate a larger than usual lunch and had a glass of milk at my low time of the day and had no trouble waiting until dinnertime to eat again. Day One was a success :)! I have been unable to figure out how to register it on the HabitCal. I'd appreciate any help.
ilovekitties

laguna

Day 2 and going well

Post by laguna » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:59 am

Today is my first "S" day and so far so good. I have eaten pretty much like a regular day except I did have chocolate syrup in the milk I had for my snack. Dinner will be soon and we will have grilled chicken thighs, asparagus and rice. I will probably splurge with a piece of chocolate for dessert tonight. Good day :)!
ilovekitties

laguna

Can't seem to get HabitCal to work

Post by laguna » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:01 am

I have been having trouble with HabitCal. It won't let me add a habit and no calendar shows up. :(
Help
ilovekitties

laguna

Tomorrow will be one week on NoS

Post by laguna » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:11 pm

I started the NOS diet Friday, August 1, 2008 and tomorrow will be one week. It has been very easy so far and I am hoping for a loss tomorrow.

My menus have been pretty much the same on regular days and the two S days I've had so far. My only exception on S days was maybe a small piece of chocolate or some dessert. In fact I am eating pretty much the same as I did before starting NOS with the exception of the snacking. That has always been a big problem for me.

Breakfast:
1 piece of lightly buttered toast
1 egg
fruit

Lunch:
Large salad of lettuce and veggies with some kind of protein added like chopped ham, chicken, cheese, cottage cheese. Dressing is store bought or EVOO and balsamic vinegar. I particularly like Trader Joe's White Balsamic Vinegar! It is YUMMY and I ALWAYS have a new bottle on hand so I don't run out.

Snack:
1 glass NF milk

Dinner:
Some kind of meat or fish, usually 3-4 oz
Lots of veggies
Sometimes rice or a small potato
1 - 1 1/2 glass of wine

The snack of a glass of milk about 4-5 PM seems to control the low, tired feeling I get about that time and satisfies me until dinner. THIS IS A BIG CHANGE!!!

I am encouraged and feel empowered and hope I show a weight loss tomorrow morning! :)!

Laguna
ilovekitties

laguna

1st week success

Post by laguna » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:31 pm

I started Week 2 yesterday down 1 pound from my starting weight :) :)
ilovekitties

laguna

Success with HabitCal

Post by laguna » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:13 am

I cannot believe it. For the past 11 days, since I started on NoS I have been trying to use HabitCal with no success. I changed some computer settings to no avail and yesterday changed them some more. So today I was just "messing around" on HabitCal and lo and behold a window appeared that said something about scripted text and I checked to allow it temporarily and it worked :)
ilovekitties

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:17 pm

Hi Laguna,

Thanks for checking out my check-in! :)

Good luck with the oat cake. I haven't had one in about a week and I miss them. A great way to get protein and fiber in a hand held treat!

I do enjoy cooking. So does my BF. It is good because of the variety of foods, but his methods are a bit more butter/oil heavy than mine. But he is a fantastic cook!!!

I am trying to work on the plate sizes and failed that at lunch today - we ate at Cheesecake Factory. I am still full!! SO not sure what dinner will be tonight. Maybe an oat cake around 9 when I get back from the airport.

Best of luck to you and thanks for your support!
Melissa

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:12 pm

My menus have been pretty much the same on regular days
laguna,

as i stay with No S my N days also get into pretty much the same and I use my S days to get more variety, it just kind of happened that way and kind of works out nice, using my favorite staples during the week and then just having different tastes and food experiences on weekends,

also I HAD SAME PROBLEM WITH HABITCAL you are describing! I think it has something to do with some of the security software my huband has on our computers. Glad you kind of figured it out! Habitcal has been soooo helpful for me,

Blueskighs
www.nosdiet.blogspot.com Where I blog daily about my No S journey

laguna

Post by laguna » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:46 am

It's been almost a week since I posted and so far I have maintained my 1# loss from the first week. So far I have not had any day that I would call a FAILURE but think I am putting too much on my plates and also the meals are not well balanced. I was raised to be a member of the clean plate club -- you know those starving children somewhere - and if it's on my plate, I will eat it. My goal this week is to put less on my plates :lol: I've also considered using smaller plates.

Today Day 18: SUCCESS
Breakfast out with friends:
2 eggs over easy
3 pieces of bacon
sourdough toast
sliced tomatoes
coffee

Lunch:
Sliced tomatoes from our garden YUM
cottage cheese
pita chips

Snack:
Yogurt

Dinner tonight will be:
hamburger patty
corn on the cob
glass of wine

So far so good. NoSing is the simplest diet I have ever followed. Seconds or sweets have never been a big problem. It is the snacking monster that has caused me to gain weight. My stacking monster usually attacks about 4 PM and has been controlled by a small yogurt or glass of milk :wink:

I enjoy reading entries from other members and learning what and how they are doing.

laguna
ilovekitties

mel1974c

Post by mel1974c » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:23 pm

Hi laguna,

Glad you liked the oat cake. I find them especially helpful on days when I commute to work and need something I can eat in the car or at the office. I recently started adding in frozen blueberries before cooking. Adds a bit of anti-oxidants and fruit and tastes great. I actually got the original recipe from my doctor and tweaked it to my liking.

Sounds like things are going well for you with No S. I have been at it 37 days and have lost only 2.5 lbs.But, I feel better about food than I ever have and to me, that is more important. I do have a goal of losing around 20lbs more, but that would be icing on the cake.

Now, if I could only work in some quality exercise....

Best,
Melissa

laguna

Vacation's almost over

Post by laguna » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:40 am

We left on August 28th and drove from southern California to Sedona where we spent two nights and then went on to the Santa Fe, NM area. Visiting our daughter here in NM and doing lots of horse things, taking lots of pictures and not following NoS very closely. After repeating the drive I hope I am not in for a big bad surprise when we get home Sept 9 . I had four S days in a row - Saturday, Sunday, Labor Day, and my birthday so may have something to worry about. I am excited about getting back home and getting back on track :D Wish me well!!!
laguna
ilovekitties

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:20 pm

laguna,

hope you had a wonderful time, i love Sedona!!!!!!!!

Blueskighs

p.s. notice your tag I love kitties two weeks ago we got two new ones after our beloved cat passed - they are TOO much fun and way TOO cute :D

laguna

Post by laguna » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:33 pm

blueskighs wrote:laguna,

hope you had a wonderful time, i love Sedona!!!!!!!!

Blueskighs

p.s. notice your tag I love kitties two weeks ago we got two new ones after our beloved cat passed - they are TOO much fun and way TOO cute :D
Thanks for your reply Blue. I am lucky; my sister lives in Sedona so we get to visit often :wink: She and hubby know all the good places to go and of course we stay with them so the cost is minimal -- usually just the price of a dinner for four.

I am mostly responding to your comment about losing your cat. We have 3 champagne burmese who turn 15 today and I am so worried we will not have them much longer. One particularly is the love of my life -- with the exception of my husband of course. My sister lost her 15 year old kitty last year and is still in mourning. How long did you wait before getting your "new kitties". I know you are enjoying the little ones - kittens really are TOO cute! :lol:

As far as NoS I lucked out - did not lose anything but more importantly did not gain which is a major change from other trips. Somehow the idea no sweets and no snacks has burrowed itself into my consciousness.

Enjoy those little ones,
laguna
ilovekitties

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:51 pm

Laguna,

three fifteen year olds? wow. I can only imagine it will be hard when their time comes, especially your special one. It was really hard to watch Lola get sick and detoriate. At the same time we made many very special moments together the last seven weeks of her life. I would say that those special times and being fortunate to be with her the last few hours made a big difference.

One of my friends suggested that I did much of the greiving in her last seven weeks. I know I had a lot of good deep cries. It was heartbreaking.

I thought it would be months or even years before I was ready to open my heart to a pet again. I thought I would be releived of the responsibility. But I shocked myself when I saw these kitties at our neighborhood pet store and one, he was probably the runt :D just grabbed me. I didn't get him that day. But the next day I after I slept on it and discussed it with my husband, I decided if the kitty and his brother were still there I would adopt them.

It was SIX DAYS after Lola passed. But in that time I also printed out several pictures of Lola and put them up, we also had her cremated. When I took "the boys" to their first vet visit I picked up Lola's remains. They are in a precious redwood box and they also provided a ceramic paw print of her paw. The box has a lock and key and a little heart with her name. I was going to spread her ashes but since the box is so sweet it felt right to put here there with her pictures.

I don't know if it is because these two little boys are such a COMPLETELY different experience than our sweet Lola but her passing and their coming into our home has dovetailed nicely and just seem right.

I would just try to be as present as possible for whatever your kitties go through and your heart will tell you if and when it is time to get another furry friend,

Sorry this is so long but THEY ARE SO SPECIAL ... aren't they?

Laguna, have a good day!
Blueskighs

laguna

Post by laguna » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:34 pm

Thanks Blue.
Your words eased my worries about our 3 - litter mates Chip, Piper and Pancho. Even though they are now 15 they seem to be just fine. We can tell they have slowed down a little and sleep more but no other problems are evident. It is time for their annual checkups though so hope nothing turns up there. I guess I am just fearful because my sister's kitty died at 15 but she had been losing weight and was not eating well for a few months before. She, Doodle was a Heinz 57 variety and ours are pure breed Burmese and I have heard that pure breed usually don't live as long as mixed breeds. So that's another thing that heightens my worries.

Hobie, our cat who died about 8 years ago was cremated and we also have his ashes in a little wooden box. We still get teary eyed when looking at pictures of him. He also was a Burmese but the sable color.

They certainly can wind their way into your heart and become an important part of your family. I know you will have a lot of fun and love with your new little ones. They are so precious as kittens! Thanks for your input and ENJOY :lol:

laguna
ilovekitties

blueskighs

Post by blueskighs » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:29 pm

Laguna,

fifteen is nice old age for a cat from what I understand. But cats can live up to 20 or 21. Sounds like yours are healthy and the slow down is natural.

Lola was arthritic and had hypothyroidism - that is what caused her stroke - it made her blood pressure so high.

so if they have not developed any health problems your lovely kitties may still be around for several years :D
Hope so!

Blueskighs

laguna

Post by laguna » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:41 pm

Thanks Blue,
You are right. I just worry too much and really have no reason to do so. Enjoy your "boys" :lol:
Laguna
ilovekitties