Find the No S Diet Book in your local Library

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

reinhard
Site Admin

Find the No S Diet Book in your local Library

Post by reinhard » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:11 pm

A few days ago I discovered that the No S Diet was available ("limited preview") through google books.

It's a lot like amazon's "search inside the book," but with one very cool addition, a link the "World Cat" library network listing holdings of local member libraries.

Here's the direct link:

http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/173480468& ... ing=1#tabs

When I first checked, there were 67 library systems that had (sometimes multiple) copies of No-s (two days later and we're up to 69!), and it seems (from some admittedly rather limited sampling) like more than half the copies are checked out. As a former (and future?) librarian, this is especially gratifying to me -- so please pester your local library to get a copy if they don't have one already!

Reinhard
Last edited by reinhard on Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maslowjenkins

Post by maslowjenkins » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:24 pm

YAY! my library has it! That makes me swell with pride a bit...I love my library!

vcanfield

Yea for libraries!

Post by vcanfield » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:27 am

I love checking books out from our local library and having the book available in libraries means more exposure. I however had to have my own personal copy which is now highlighted to death.
Veronica

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:44 pm

Looks like worldcat is just as erratic as my scale -- now I'm down 9 libraries in a day :-(

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:46 pm

...and up 10 today.

Reinhard

Too solid flesh

Worldcat

Post by Too solid flesh » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:47 pm

... and now up to sixty! Weird. But with a sharp upwards trend, which is exciting.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:22 pm

Sorry for the lack of clarity: the 9 and 10 were -9 and +10 -- it seems to bounce around between 60 and 70. I suspect it's some database quirk rather than libraries repeatedly changing their minds about whether they actually have the book.

I'd love to see it hit triple digits (however briefly :-)) and move beyond the United States.

Reinhard

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:34 pm

The list isn't complete...I donated a copy to our local library, but it doesn't come up on the list.
"Self-denial's a great sweetener of pleasure."
(Patrick McGoohan's "The Prisoner")

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:12 am

That's so exciting Rein!!!
ps.. what you mean "future" librarian?
Are you done with programming?

I'm very happy for you and thrilled about the growing success of your book!!
Love
8) Debs
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

la_loser

A way to show our gratitude! It's our turn!

Post by la_loser » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:18 am

So an idea occurs to me about this grassroots thing that has progressed from Reinhard's personal quest to get in shape and then to this website and eventually led to the publishing of the book. We, as in all of us faithful followers, (gee do we sound like a cult?) are always posting thank-yous and expressing our appreciation for this awesome journey we're on with Reinhard and No S.

What better way to repay him and to help get the word out than to buy an extra copy of the book and donate it to our own local library (or libraries)? It would be a tiny monetary cost compared to what we'd be paying out to one of those S.A.D. outfits for even one month--and look at the benefits we've reaped, especially since this site is free for us as well.

So I'll begin the challenge by saying that this week, I'm going to order some copies to put in our local city library and our university library.

It could be like little ripples. . . if you see how many members No S has and realize that we really are all over the world. . .he could hit that magic 100 libraries and go international in no time.

How about it? Post here if you're up to the challenge. (Amazon's price is less than $12 now) The book is available at lots of bookstores now and I'm sure Reinhard would love it if you bought it from ANYWHERE but all those bought through the website to Amazon reap even more rewards $$$ for him.

I'll let you know when my copies have been donated and processed since I know that it takes a while from arriving at a library till it hits the list of titles.

Woo hoo for spreading the word. . . literally! I can't wait to hear what you guys think!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:55 pm

Good idea,
But first, I will investigate the Donation policies of my local library,
to make certain it will really end up indexed and placed on the normal library shelf,
and not on a free paperback rack or a sale paperback rack.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

la_loser

Check your local library!

Post by la_loser » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:39 pm

Good point. I consistently see books, movies, cd's, etc. at my library which have "nameplates" inside, noting the kind donation but I will check with my friend who works there to be sure. I'm sure they don't take any old paperback novel that gets brought in. . . I'm guessing there's a difference between bringing in a bag of books destined for a garage sale and a specific book meant to go on the shelves. Every library would varying policies probably.

So we should all check to make sure it will be accepted appropriately THEN buy the book(s). In my case, I'll order them anyway and if I run into a snag, I'll have gifts bought for lots of people who express an interest in my No S journey and want to know more. (And before anyone takes issue with that. . . No, I wouldn't go and insult people by saying, I have a new plan, you look like you could use one too!)

OK--now off to order a few books!
LA Loser. . . well on my way to becoming an LA Winner. :lol:

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:03 pm

Thank you for your generous concern!

But I think many libraries might simply buy the book themselves if you ask for it and they don't have it. Though I'm very grateful to anyone who has (thank you Jan!), please don't feel pressured to buy multiple copies for donation.

Jan -- good to know the list isn't comprehensive. But still, it's a fun benchmark. Less maddening than amazon sales rank which jumps around like crazy.

I think I figured out why the number is constantly jumping from the 60s to the 70s. Whenever I check from my (academic) connection at work, it's in the 70s, from home, the 60s. So I think the academic connection must be getting registered by the site and showing extra academic libraries that non-academic users wouldn't have access to. The good news is that the home and work numbers are both going up: to 64 and 74, respectively: +7 in two weeks).

Reinhard